Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by swampfire
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

trollin.jpg
th_DCA.jpg
Troll.jpg
image.jpg
waa.gif
23792463.jpg
srs.jpg
OP.gif
thread_lock_is_coming.jpg
colin-powell.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

It's kind of fun to sit back and watch the new generation of pinball players/flippers (with $) bidding up the pre-1994 vintage pinball machines.

I have played pinball regularly since 1978. Whether it was at the local amusement park, after the junior bowling league, or after school at the arcade. I started collecting pinball machines in 1998 after graduating college and getting settled.

For about 14 years, since I bought my first machine (Williams Comet), and the 15 or so I have purchased since then, it has been a great experience.

The hobby for the past 18 months or so hasn't been as enjoyable. As everyone knows the price of used games has gone up, gone up to a point that I am no longer interested in collecting additional games. My focus now is restoring/enjoying the 8 pins I have now.

I received the 2/25/13 edition of Fortune magazine today and it happened to have an article on pinball (pg 10). It talked about how new pinball sales have been declining - $ 219 million which is a quarter of what it was in 2001. Of the 63,000 pinball machines on location, presently they take in an average of $67/wk which needs to be split with the location - which makes it hard to justify pinball machines on location considering their current cost of the games.

The article goes on to say " Stern - until recently the one remaining manufacturer - has tripled sales since 2009. Good for Gary Stern, who I never respected, since he copied many of Williams ideas; but what about the consumer? Many of the games his company released during the 2000-2010 era, the code wasn't even compete.

Then the Fortune article goes on to talk about Jersey Jack coming on the scene with WOZ. The article says the Jacks effort is to make " the best game ever built". I'm okay with that, but not at $ 7,000. What operator is going to buy a $7k pinball machine? I know I am not,as a collector.

Maybe alot of you never leave your house, but I do (yes, I am married). If there were games in bars or the bowling alley I would play them. That's what myself and a few friends did up until ops stop buying games. If I really liked the game on location, it would be on my want list for my basement arcade.

Time to find a new hobby.

The sensitive people with defensive mechanisms need not reply.

Shelby
shelbyhaynes@gmail.con

#2 6 years ago

Good luck with your endeavors. Why bother posting if your leaving? But don't worry, I'll call all the new people around here names after your gone.

#3 6 years ago

Everyone was a newb a one time, even you. I've been in the hobby for many years and have made my share of mistakes. This site is here for people to learn from and to make new friends. They do not need to read your garbage.

#5 6 years ago

I am not leaving. Simply put, the respondents so far are clueless.

#6 6 years ago

Another "back-in-my-day" rant.

#7 6 years ago

IBTL.

#8 6 years ago

Strange post...

#9 6 years ago

OP you need a hug....

#10 6 years ago

Talk about about a worthless post, top to bottom. Like, seriously.

Without fresh blood coming into a hobby, it dies. Without the newbies, Stern dies, JJP doesn't get off the ground, and part suppliers hang it up.

I've been collecting for quite some time, and I've never had a reason to resent new collectors. If they can afford the expensive machines, more power to them. They don't drive up the cost of games by themselves, every collector shares that blame.

You yourself said that you're holding onto what you've got, effectively lowering supply in a time of higher demand. Care to talk about inflation blame some more?

#11 6 years ago

Don't let the coin door hit ya on the way out, mister know-it-all!

#12 6 years ago

A couple more tools.........................

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Scoomie:

the respondents so far are clueless.

Yes, I am. I am clueless as to why you created a new account on a forum to to ramble on without making fully coherent and cogent points.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Scoomie:

I am not leaving. Simply put, the respondents so far are clueless.

GTFO

#15 6 years ago

That seems a little trite. Getting out of a hobby because of a surge of interest? Newbies, old timers, whatever keep the hobby viable and bring new ideas. New pinball companies bring new pinball experiences to all of us, costly or not. I love pinball, and I get excited when someone who doesnt own one buys one of my machines, I get to explain why its so fun and watch them enjoy something that I do. Just because someone owned their first machine in 1990 vs 2010 doen't give anyone a better spot in line, just more perspective, from which you should share with others. This type of stuff is so funny to me... here's to you newbs, lets talk pinball....

I agree, its time for you to find a new hobby.

#16 6 years ago

Probably just some idiot hater from rgp

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Scoomie:

Quoted from Scoomie:

I am not leaving.

Clueless?

#18 6 years ago

More tools......................

#19 6 years ago

Wait a second, Did I just get Trolled?

#20 6 years ago

What are you upset about? You can't buy cheap games anymore for your "collection"? Stop collecting and start playing. You should be happy that more people are interested in pinball, that's what is driving prices up.

#21 6 years ago

I have to think that there's a good chance that is a troll account.

#22 6 years ago

Okay. just to get it right, when did each of you tools get in the hobby...........

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

Wait a second, Did I just get Trolled?

Yeah. I think I did too.

#24 6 years ago

Is that you Frank? Welcome to pinside!

#25 6 years ago

No reason to feed into this post guys. Set ignore and move on

#26 6 years ago

Have had a pinball machine since '93, started buying and selling regularly about 8 years ago.

#27 6 years ago

Take care, brush your hair!

#28 6 years ago

Today, I started today

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Scoomie:

Okay. just to get it right, when did each of you tools get in the hobby...........

Twelve years ago, Sir Fuhrter! Find your new hobby yet? Maybe popping up from beneath the MM playfield would please you!

#30 6 years ago

Okay, enough of the newbies. I want a reply to my initial post by somebody who has been in the hobby at least 3 years.

#31 6 years ago

Even if you were to leave the hobby . . . you'll be back I took a break and came back. If you've been playing that long, it's in your blood.
There are still some deals to be had out there in the world.

#32 6 years ago

From reading the information in his posts I'm older than the poster. Part I don't get:

Quoted from Scoomie:

That's what myself and a few friends did up until ops stop buying games. If I really liked the game on location, it would be on my want list for my basement arcade.

Why are you complaining about games not being on route, if YOU are contributing to the problem you are bitching about.

Kind of like passing out fliers that read save the trees at an Arbor Day parade.

#33 6 years ago

Please don't feed the Trolls.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Scoomie:

Okay, enough of the newbies. I want a reply to my initial post by somebody who has been in the hobby at least 3 years.

Look up

#35 6 years ago

aaaaah man and i tought this thread was about new tools to work on my pins.

#36 6 years ago

ingored turned on. what a whiner.

#37 6 years ago

It's kind of fun to sit back and watch the new generation of pinball players/flippers (with $) bidding up the pre-1994 vintage pinball machines.
I have played pinball regularly since 1978. Whether it was at the local amusement park, after the junior bowling league, or after school at the arcade. I started collecting pinball machines in 1998 after graduating college and getting settled.
For about 14 years, since I bought my first machine (Williams Comet), and the 15 or so I have purchased since then, it has been a great experience.
The hobby for the past 18 months or so hasn't been as enjoyable. As everyone knows the price of used games has gone up, gone up to a point that I am no longer interested in collecting additional games. My focus now is restoring/enjoying the 8 pins I have now.
I received the 2/25/13 edition of Fortune magazine today and it happened to have an article on pinball (pg 10). It talked about how new pinball sales have been declining - $ 219 million which is a quarter of what it was in 2001. Of the 63,000 pinball machines on location, presently they take in an average of $67/wk which needs to be split with the location - which makes it hard to justify pinball machines on location considering their current cost of the games.
The article goes on to say " Stern - until recently the one remaining manufacturer - has tripled sales since 2009. Good for Gary Stern, who I never respected, since he copied many of Williams ideas; but what about the consumer? Many of the games his company released during the 2000-2010 era, the code wasn't even compete.
Then the Fortune article goes on to talk about Jersey Jack coming on the scene with WOZ. The article says the Jacks effort is to make " the best game ever built". I'm okay with that, but not at $ 7,000. What operator is going to buy a $7k pinball machine? I know I am not,as a collector.
Maybe alot of you never leave your house, but I do (yes, I am married). If there were games in bars or the bowling alley I would play them. That's what myself and a few friends did up until ops stop buying games. If I really liked the game on location, it would be on my want list for my basement arcade.
The sensitive people with defensive mechanisms need not reply.
Shelby
shelbyhaynes@gmail.con

colin-powell.jpg

#38 6 years ago

Holly moly.

Please somebody, save me from the tools.....................I am an original pinball fan, that is being assaulted by the newbies on pinside!

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#40 6 years ago

Oops, sorry. Abso said don't feed the trolls. My bad.

#42 6 years ago

weird topic. Weird OP.

#44 6 years ago

I wish it was more active on RGP too, OP...

#45 6 years ago

You're special..

#46 6 years ago

It's predictable to all of us who have been in the hobby 5+ years, how you newbie's react - with you wallet, and little else other than a turd..................

#47 6 years ago

#48 6 years ago

RGP, I think your safe...........

I am a RGP guy who decided to try pinside.

Look at all the dumb newbie responses I got, including a photo of a turd.

Anybody who has a PASSION for pinball,not a fleeting interest, go to google groups: rec.games.pinball

The people who have responded to my initial post, thus far, are pathetic.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from Scoomie:

Thanks for the effort.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Scoomie:

If RGP is so great-why come here?
Please return to RGP and eat a bowl full of dicks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Jacksonville, FL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
1,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bristol, TN
1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lehigh Valley, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 65.00
Playfield - Plastics
Vandelay Industries
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 60.00
Playfield - Plastics
Vandelay Industries
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside