hulk LE.jpg
AT-12-10-Knock-Out-Ring-2c.jpg
Pinball Magazine special John Trudeau WrestleMania cover.png
themiz.jpg
image.jpg
UltimateWarrior.jpg
Wrestlemania_29_Stage.jpg
paigeauction.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sosage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#203 9 years ago

I can see how this license can be beneficial to pinball. Wrasslin's main demographic is young children. This could potentially do well in certain locations, where a younger generation could wind up giving pinball more of a chance (I'd be surprised if this doesn't hit Chuck E Cheese). It isn't all about the basement market, yah know?

I also wouldn't sell the game short just because of theme. Every show I bring my WWFRR to, someone who isn't a wrestling fan is offering to buy it, and at least a handful of people who are "above watching wrestling" wind up really enjoying it.

Personally, WWFRR is like having a GI Joe or Transformers pin. It's a nostalgic icon of my childhood. I don't have a desire to own a machine with the current wrestlers in it, BUT, I don't think I'm the target audience for this license*. It's likely kids and operators.

P.S. *=...unless Randy Savage is in it.

#328 9 years ago
Quoted from icust298:

I'm saying, we're on a pinball site, it's probably not the coolest thing in the world to most outside people either. And like it or not, Star Trek isn't that cool to people not involved in Star Trek.

Yup. The top 100 of this site is hardly the bastion of what cool kids are into. Dogging wrestling fans in this environment comes off like throwing a group of like-minded friends under the bus to try and gain cool cred.

Hate to break it to everyone, but the cool kids of the world still think you're a dork. Your space wars, fantasy frolic, comic book spandex dudes, and senior citizen's garage band themes...at face value...are about as ridiculous as the muscle men fake fighting game.

So I'm just not sure who most of you are going to actually impress by dissing wrestling, while polishing your Lord of the Rings/Wizard of OZ/Star Trek/Spider-Man/Tron/Fill-in-blank?

...your mommas?

#389 9 years ago
Quoted from johnnyfive:

Uh. I think you miss the point. No one is trying to boost their ego by dissing wrestling, they're just saying they're genuinely uninterested in wrestling, and it seems like there's consensus on the topic on this forum.
If anyone is trying to knock others to boost their own ego I'd say it was you by the tone of your post.

Uh. No. A good number of people in this thread have made their intentions very clear by going beyond simply not liking the theme, and dissing fans. Are you sure you've been reading the correct thread?

Bringing others back down to Earth is not a boost. But thanks for the parting sanctimonious jab!

#857 9 years ago

It looks like Trudeau may have added a nod to WWFRR. I can't tell for sure from the angles of some of the pictures, but the far left shot looks like the "enter the ring" shot from the DE game (in the original, its the shot that goes left of the casket). It's one of the hardest shots in that game.

#886 9 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

Wrestling is pretty much an '80's thing. I doubt many people will buy that theme for the home. Didn't Dataeast or somebody do a wrestling themed game in the late '80's or early '90's? I don't remember that being on anyone's top ten want list either then or now.
Also, with Stern's reputation of shipping games with unfinished code, I would be very hesitant to purchase a game with completely new architecture to boot. Seems like a recipe for frustration.

WWFRR has been gaining a resurgence for the last year or so. If you can get beyond any hang ups you have for the theme and manufacturer prejudice, you'll find it is one of the better play designs of the Data East DMD line (I won't go so far as to say the best, but personally, I think it is...).

The good/bad of the wrestling theme has already been covered to death.

BUT, I am with you on the code and the new architecture concerns. I think it is in Stern's best interest to kick this new system off right by not leaving the code hanging on this game. I'm not talking about complete code at launch (even video games aren't capable of that), but just to finish the code even if the game does poorly. From a PR/Marketing stand point, it would look bad to promote this new system and the first title out of the gate doesn't hit code completion.

...but sometimes Stern does not do what is in their best interest. So we'll see.

I'm hype, but if I had the cash for NIB I'd wait. If for any reason, just to see how it plays and if there will be a Premium. But that's me playing arm chair NIB pin buyer.

#901 9 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I'd rather have generic stand-ins than 2014 Lawlor and Michael Cole.

I've heard their voices in some of the recent video game releases. Just...not as fun as the old school guys. Too bad Bobby Heenan lost his voice, Gorilla Monsoon is dead, and Jesse Ventura is chasing conspiracy theories. Maybe Vince McMahon can get on the mic and give us his Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde style, gullible business man/insane axe killer commentary instead?

#1021 9 years ago

Only one is better than the best!

#1227 9 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

I recommend all the wrestlemanias except Wrestlemania IX. The crowd at Wrestlemania III was going absolutely insane during the Hogan v Andre match.

...and of course Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat.

My favorite way of catching up on all the pay per views I never watched is by tuning into these guys: http://oswreview.com/

Their last episode was Halloween Havoc 95. Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant's Son! In a Monster Truck sumo match on the roof!! Then a championship match with the Dungeon of Doom!!! And interference by a Yeti!!!! WTF is going on?!?!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 26.50
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sosage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-new-stern-game-is-wrestlemania?tu=sosage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.