hulk LE.jpg
AT-12-10-Knock-Out-Ring-2c.jpg
Pinball Magazine special John Trudeau WrestleMania cover.png
themiz.jpg
image.jpg
UltimateWarrior.jpg
Wrestlemania_29_Stage.jpg
paigeauction.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#422 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well...following Stern's schedule, this leaves one more new title this year. Plus Whoa Nellie, plus the rumored LOTR VE, plus MMR production. I don't see how they could possibly push out more than that in one year. I'm getting bummed because now Game of Thrones isn't looking too good...let's hope that's the one Steve Richie has been working on for a while now.

MMr and Nellie are factory time only. Similar to how they re-run their titles all the time... Those reruns don't eat into the usual two-three releases you expect from stern a year

They are producing 4-6 different games all the time. It's the game development that is low throughput

#423 9 years ago
Quoted from c3trey:

It's curious to me how much people underestimate the popularity of the franchise. The WWE pulls in a half billion in revenue a year and has a top ten rated cable program (top five if you exclude football) every week going back 15+ years. In terms of sheer numbers, it's a monster license (bigger than most they've run with) and it's not hard to see why Stern might think it'd be more attractive to operators than a 30 year-old band. I'm skeptical it'll pull in a pinball crowd, but the thinking is clear.

and what about appeal overseas?

#683 9 years ago

Metal ramps on the pro...

And can we all please realize... a premium will follow if there is demand? No whining over "I had to buy a LE..."

In the verge video you can see there are PCBs on the back of several of the brackets and attached to the bottom of the playfield. Looks like the new Spike system is using an addressable bus with maybe replaceable boards vs repairable boards?

Will be interesting to see once we get some good details on the new system.

#688 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Anybody want to take bets that if there's an LE version, it doesn't sell out?

Uhh.. the LE was already announced. Keep up

#698 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

At this point I think most are simply LED boards, or opto boards much like Metallica's drop target bank. (certainly the one on the center drop bank is optos)
Could be 100% wrong tho, I didn't study too close.

The driver circuits need to be somewhere... and they aren't in the backbox... so they are likely some of these boards

#701 9 years ago

Wow... hello Mr Opto boards there on the center of the game

#712 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Am I the only one who went from thinking it was a stupid idea and laughing my ass off to now thinking the layout looks super cool and I want one ...in just a few hours?

It shows just how much people get wound up in the theme vs the actual game. And frankly... validates Gary's belief on only doing licensed games.

#713 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Interesting that's the same board they used in The Pin.
It boots Linux off an SD card and runs off a single Atmel ARM. It uses RJ-45 connectors to control solenoids and light sub-boards around the playfield.
Also has [non-populated] HDMI / VGA ports, probably for when they FINALLY take the leap to LCD.

are there more details out on the pin's electronics somewhere since it's already been in use for awhile?

#771 9 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

So the LED lighting is all on boards now? (0:44 of the verge video on the prev page) They've taken away the actual light sockets? So now when a light dies I have to take my soldering iron out? Again saving on weight and parts but this is going to be a hassle....

Like most of the games already being built... they put LEDs on small chip boards when on their own.. and put lights together on boards when close together or part of an assembly.

#842 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Floor officially opens tomorrow: http://www.cesweb.org/Show-Floor/Exhibit-Hours
Looking at their website it looks like today is some kind of press day maybe?

Press Day off the show floor... exhibit floor opens tomorrow. I've not worked CES so I don't know how strict they are about bringing people onto the floor... obviously not too strict since Verge and others got interview time already

#844 9 years ago

amazing swings here...

Based on images - worst thing ever
Base on some more images - wow.. really cool

Instead we don't really know how the new stuff plays/feels.. nor how the game itself plays. Can't we all keep it in our pants until we get some gameplay?

#852 9 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

If nothing else, gotta give Stern props for advancing technology... Whether or not the theme sings to you or not

I dunno.. giving them props for finally letting go and many years later finally updating the plumbing?

For the company with the most resources, the greatest assets, and the highest volume to diffuse R&D costs over... they are the last to the party when it comes to migrating off the basic board set principles established in the 80s?

I don't think that is advancing technology... that is being dragged kicking and screaming.

And even still, where are they leveraging this new tech? Sound so far?

For the biggest in volume and resources... I'd hold the standard WAY higher than simply playing 'me too' if I were to give them any credit for advancing tech. P-ROC, JJP, and the P3 platform have all pushed tech further, sooner, than Stern has.

#866 9 years ago

The interesting bit in that video is confirming that the games are already on the line and will be available in a few weeks.

#948 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

It's pretty common for quasi-monopolies to be followers, though. Much lower risk, given their high fixed cost structure, if innovative ideas don't pan out. Stern is focused on "feeding the beast" rather than trying to gain a first-mover advantage. That's why they're happy to let other smaller players (e.g., JJP, DP, Spooky) add new features, raise/lower prices, and generally test the market. If it proves sustainable, Stern follows on the best of the ideas that worked, and they reap a good portion of the benefits (but not all) due to their relative economies of scale. And if something fails, they can sit back and say, "Boy, what a stupid idea THAT was!"
Have you ever heard the saying, "You can recognize a pioneer by all the arrows in his back"? Now picture those words coming from Gary Stern. Not a real stretch of the imagination, is it?

I agree with you fully... just don't agree with people labeling Stern as a leader here because they finally got with the program (at least partially...). I'm sure their platform will have some great stuff, but leading the charge they are not

#1017 9 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Lol at everyone complaining about theme.
A bunch of 45 year old men complaining about theme as home owners when we are less than 10% of the buyers. WWE is a massive IP and the CEO is a marketing legend...

Did the theme save the data east game? No.

Why do you think the brand behind it is going to radically change anything this time? The pin market is narrower now than it was in 1994... With the upcoming segments being the hipster generation. How is that any more set for success than the public arcades of the 90s?

#1206 9 years ago

For all those saying the theme is great for the audience outside of pinball... WWE isn't just a trailer park thing, "it will do great on location" based on the theme, etc...

The closest example I can think of is NASCAR

- NASCAR has an extremely dedicated fan base (far more than WWE)
- NASCAR has many stereotypes about its fans
- NASCAR is HUGE... HUGE... but it's also very polarizing and doesn't necessarily have BROAD appeal. Size of a market and appeal are not the same thing!
- NASCAR had toys that walk up players could immediately interact with (bash car and ball loop)
- NASCAR is a huge property with massive licensing - but is mainly a domestic product, it doesn't have wide international appeal

I see the WWE licensing as a direct parallel to the above. Large, but polarizing property. Has many stigmas associated with it. Domestic, not global appeal.

Where is location pinball happening these days?
- bars and specialized barcades in urban areas
- specialized pin halls

Who are the audience in these locations? The urban/'burban 20-30 something white collar kids and existing pinheads. Where is the overlap with the classic demographic for WWE? Where is the location overlap for WWE fans and location pin? Pinball is not yet back in the convenience stores or truck stops like it used to be. (not stereotyping.. talking about where you can encounter games vs having to seek them out)

Even with the HUGE dedicated fan base of NASCAR... the license didn't cause the game to break out beyond the game itself.. it didn't break down any barriers... it didn't cause new cross pollination of the demographics.

The same thing happened for the last DE WWF title.. and that came out during a relatively successful period in pin when 'where you found a pinball' was still far more diverse than where you do today.

So what does all this mean? Pinball themes have to appeal to the demographics where you have games and are expanding. Don't look at the market for the brand that has no overlap with the pin market and think they are magically going to converge because of a theme.

#1211 9 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

This isn't even remotely accurate. WWE has a huge international following. Hulk Hogan is one of the most recognized people in the world. Professional wrestling is huge in latin america. It is also very popular in Europe, Australia and Japan.
I'm not saying the machine will be a success but saying the WWE does not have wide international appeal is 100% you talking out of your ass.

No, it's based on WWE's own financial reporting. I didn't say it had ZERO presence, I said it's mainly a domestic product without wide APPEAL (not without presence).

By WWE's own numbers, in 2013 they put on 65 events internationally... vs 256 domestically. That's US vs the entire rest of the world. The tickets were 382k international vs 1.5 million domestic. (International numbers BTW that have been falling each of the last 3 years). PPV revenue was 2/3s domestic vs international. Their international revenue was only 23% of their total revenue and 1/3 of that was generated by the UK alone.

Before you claim others are talking out of their ass - you might actually try facing the facts. WWE is global, but is largely a domestic product. As much as the topic is polarizing here, its more so elsewhere. "Existing" is not the same as "wide appeal".

They claim to be in more than 30 countries... yet only generated 70 million in revenue from all but two of those countries.

84% of their business comes from TWO COUNTRIES. Facts... they often are hard to swallow for the fans.

#1213 9 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I agree with a lot of your post except the above statement. According to wikipedia, it's "...broadcasting to about 36 million viewers in more than 150 countries."
Another pinsider already mentioned that it's HUGE in Australia.
This theme doesn't appeal to me, but I don't think it was a bad choice for Stern.

I prefer the company's actual financial reporting... which shows their business is almost 80% domestic and international numbers have been dropping.

#1220 9 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Nonsense. Your exact quote was "Domestic, not global appeal." Nowhere did you say largely domestic. I was pointing out that does in fact have global appeal.

You are referring to the summary line - the complete thought is listed in the nascar bullets

And again, just because it exists globally doesn't make it have wide appeal. The product is very tiny globally.

1 week later
#1333 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What if you could play Battle The Power every time you hit a ramp shot in TZ?
I dunno, I still think it's a clever idea. I just feel like this is a location game, not home use

But even as a location game... ball time is important on a location game, more so than a home game. 6 minutes on ball one... with large periods of time with the ball no where near draining... returns right to the flippers.. where are the risk shots? The center 3 bank?

Reminds me of champion pub

I hope there is some redeeming quality we don't see yet... because instant appeal?? not seeing it.

#1339 9 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Gee, is there any way to show video without you guys jumping to conclusions? Responses like these will only result in Stern telling everybody they are not allowed to film any video.

Yes... Because the way to convince customers that your product is great is embargoes... Instead of you know... Building a product people want.

Flipper skills don't change the way the game is laid out.

#1341 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Is this a serious statement?
If we can't comment on what we see, don't show it to us.

Sorry, next time you will only get to see it after submitting your email address again...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 18.95
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-new-stern-game-is-wrestlemania?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.