(Topic ID: 294535)

The New Retro Warm LED vs Incandescent Lighting. (E.M.'s)

By TwinDavid

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by LORDDREK
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1847 (resized).jpg
    kittens (resized).jpg
    IMG_9142 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9140 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9138 (resized).JPG
    360DA61A-A2B3-4B5B-8067-AE6E557B8512 (resized).jpeg
    1FE3D363-DD19-4975-98A6-1CAFD2760DD2 (resized).jpeg
    Little Joe LED 3.png (resized).jpg
    lithuania flag.gif
    Little Joe LED 1 (resized).png
    16255029490947370635483931934449 (resized).jpg
    5C684BA4-1A32-4DDA-94E1-C66911C85E7E (resized).jpeg
    Little Joe LED (resized).jpg
    D4C6645D-C31F-4CCC-9F7C-E76ABBE805F4 (resized).jpeg
    night led (resized).jpg
    Gold Rush LED (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider twindavid.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I recently purchased the new generation Retro warm frosted LED bulbs. I have 6 EM’s set up in my game room.

I’ve tried LED’s before with poor results. The LED’s were too blue which washed out playfield colors, and were TOO BRIGHT. I have read that the new "Retro" warm bulbs are far better at emulating incandescent bulbs, so I thought I would provide before and after photos.

Daytime Viewing Incandescent playfield:

Incandescent Lighting (resized).pngIncandescent Lighting (resized).png

This is the machine outfitted with incandescent 44 bulbs. Many would rather use the cooler 47’s, but I personally like the brighter bulb.

Pros: Warm candlelight ambience. The incandescent bulbs are actually part of the artistic tapestry.

Cons: Hot! When all games are on, the game room heats up. Burnout is common. Backglass and plastics are vulnerable to the heat. Although, in 40 years I haven't experienced any significant damage as result of hot bulbs, although I do use 47's exclusively for the backglass.

Daytime viewing LED Playfield:

Gold Rush LED (resized).jpgGold Rush LED (resized).jpg

Pros: These warm bulbs are certainly a lot less dominant than other LED bulbs I have tried. They are vey cool. No worries about potential backglass or plastic damage caused by the heat of the old bulbs. Even lighting.

Cons: "Warm" in an LED reality is less blue than the other LED bulbs, but there is still a dominant blue hue and there is still color washout. . You can see the color influence of the LED through the on-field plastics. I feel the game appears a bit too antiseptic. You can see the LED influence on the ball itself…it’s weird, like the ball is hyper-blinking.

NIGHTTIME VIEWING:

night led (resized).jpgnight led (resized).jpg

The warm LED’s are far from warm. In the darkness it becomes obvious how blue and flat the light is compared to Incandescent lighting.

Its Candlelight vs Flashlight.

Which do you prefer?

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from phillyfan64:

I like incandescents for GI. I’ve tried several different retro led bulbs. I haven’t found any that can duplicate the warm glow of incandescents. It’s really too bad. You would think someone could figure it out by now.

I corresponded with Gregory Nelson of Comet Pinball concerning the blue hue. Comet is committed to solving this issue:

"We are looking into making our warm whites even slightly warmer and looking more closely at the entire wavelength spectrum to try to eliminate most of that blue hue. Hopefully we can continue to make progress!" G.N.

In addition, he mentioned that certain people can pick up on the "High Frequency Flicker" that I was referring to when the ball is in play.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:I purchased 100 of the same Retro Warm Frosted from Comet to try them out - tried them in a couple games and they came out 10 minutes later. Been sitting on a shelf in the parts room ever since.
    They still have that blue hue, like a doctors office in a scary movie.

I did the exact same thing. Even the colored bulbs are hideous. I have hundreds of useless LED's in inventory. I rule.

3 weeks later
    #22 2 years ago

I left with the last post that I had a great inventory of useless LED's, at least from the EM perspective. I decided to experiment. Would like to have feedback. I like the effect and I don't suffer retina damage. Thoughts?

Little Joe LED (resized).jpgLittle Joe LED (resized).jpg
    #24 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Christmas in hell.

That's a riot! Well, I tried the warm whites (Blue)...hideous.

1 week later
    #30 2 years ago

Second swipe at it. I added incandescent yellow 44's into the mix. Its much better than Christmas in Hell?

Little Joe LED 1 (resized).pngLittle Joe LED 1 (resized).png
    #35 2 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

Expose your photo for the bulbs not the playfield art and then we can get a better look at how they look in combination with one another.

Better?

Little Joe LED 3.png (resized).jpgLittle Joe LED 3.png (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #40 2 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Not my cup of tea, but if you like it, don't worry about what we think. Next owner can easily change the bulbs.

I'm not worried. I think LED's are awful for Em's. I'm trying to make them work. They don't. The latest was a mix of incandescent and LED's...still doesn't work.

3 weeks later
    #45 2 years ago

EIKO seems to be the supplier of 44's. I run into the same issue. This is why I hoard as many GE bulbs from all of my older projects. BTW, like you I have tried various LED/Standard bulb combos and I just can't stand them.

1 month later
    #59 2 years ago
    Quoted from sparky672:

I picked up a box of ten #1847 bulbs from Amazon for $6. These are CEC brand made in China, which is slightly more expensive than the Eiko brand you get from PBR, but shipping is free.
    amazon.com link »
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    I did not take a photo of the lamp itself, but these have brass bodies like the old GE bulbs. I'm not saying the brass bulb base is superior, but these look & feel a lot better than the chrome Taiwanese Eiko brand, which seem like cheap crap.
    I don't know yet if these will last any longer, but the #1847 is the heavy-duty equivalent of the 3000-hour #47 bulb. It's supposed to have a 5000-hour life, but because the filament is heavier, it's not going to burn as bright or hot.
    I'm not going to tell you which one is which in the photo below, but out of the three bulbs, one is a 1847 and the other two are 47's. You can barely pick it out... and if it really lasts longer, or at least more than a couple hundred hours, these are the new bulbs for me.
    [quoted image]

So, I did some research and actually bought 2 boxes. The 1847 are basically "47's". They are dimmer than the 44's. BUT, they have brass bases and have a nice warm light. In fact, the packaging and the bulbs look like new old stock.

I think if you dress the entire machine with these you wouldn't even know. I have one installed on the right sling shot. They are noticeably darker in person.

Even still, BIG thumbs up!

1847 (resized).jpg1847 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider twindavid.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-new-retro-warm-led-vs-incandescent-lighting-em-s?tu=twindavid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.