(Topic ID: 294535)

The New Retro Warm LED vs Incandescent Lighting. (E.M.'s)

By TwinDavid

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by LORDDREK
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1847 (resized).jpg
    kittens (resized).jpg
    IMG_9142 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9140 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9138 (resized).JPG
    360DA61A-A2B3-4B5B-8067-AE6E557B8512 (resized).jpeg
    1FE3D363-DD19-4975-98A6-1CAFD2760DD2 (resized).jpeg
    Little Joe LED 3.png (resized).jpg
    lithuania flag.gif
    Little Joe LED 1 (resized).png
    16255029490947370635483931934449 (resized).jpg
    5C684BA4-1A32-4DDA-94E1-C66911C85E7E (resized).jpeg
    Little Joe LED (resized).jpg
    D4C6645D-C31F-4CCC-9F7C-E76ABBE805F4 (resized).jpeg
    night led (resized).jpg
    Gold Rush LED (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radial_head.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 2 years ago

There seems to be endless threads on this topic but none with a very concise or scientific explanation of any of it. I'll be correcting this soon with a compendium of all the different available LEDs with color and light accurate photos of examples of all of them. Stay tuned. But for now, I rant on....

Quoted from Geofflove:

The problem with LEDs isn't just the colour, it’s the quality of light. Incandescent lamps emit light across a wide spectrum rendering colours accurately (or at least as we are used to seeing them). Unless you get an LED with a high CRI (which you can get at a cost for lighting in colour sensitive environments) then it has a narrower band of frequencies of light emitted. The result of this is colour distortion - you might find playfield reds appear faded for example. This is the real killer and a key reason why leds don’t look ‘right’ to many people.
    Until someone makes hi CRI leds for pinballs then the problem will persist. And I suspect for cost reasons that will never happen.
    I also believe people have varying sensitivity to this. I really struggle with poor quality lighting. It’s just looks terrible to me but others I’ve discussed it with can’t see the problem. YMMV

This is spot on. Thanks for writing this up so I didn't have to.

Quoted from frenchmarky:

What's weird is I can have a bunch of warm whites together in a lightboard and yeah they look okay and 'warm', but if I take one out and replace it with a 44, the 44 doesn't look more yellow or orange next to them, it actually looks reddish. But when looking at 44s by themselves they all just look, you know, yellow. As if you'd only have to put just a *little* bit of red tint in the LED lens to get it closer but I'm sure it would take some tinkering. That's the true test of these warm LEDs, put a 44 right next to one.

A keen observation that's in direct relation to the other blockquoted post above. You have to remember that light exists on a full color spectrum and adjusting temperature is just one part of the equation. The axis you're trying to describe is what's measured as "tint" and is usually measured in degrees of +/- 20° (and beyond but you rarely see the need to correct for more than that). LEDs do a really terrible job rendering anything beyond the colors they're programmed to emit and a filament has variation in temperature throughout it which is what contributes to some of that "glow" everybody is talking about.

Quoted from SilverLiningMan:

Thanks TwinDavid for putting your finger on something I’ve been thinking about for a while. I would love to see a pinball-style LED available that has the qualities of a vintage style household LED bulb. These are a nice replica of warm incandescents in my opinion, with the amber element giving off a nice glow.

Even those these emulate the "look" of a filament, it doesn't actually emulate the way that light travels off of the "LED filament". Those LEDs are definitely cool because they can give some variation in the direction and quality of the light, but they don't have variance within the filament itself (slightly hotter and slightly colder parts of the winding) that gives some light the quality that you're looking for in a 44/47. Additionally, there's just no way to make a filament like this in the side of a 44/47/555 bulb package.

For everybody saying "they should have figured out a way to do this by now", well, they've gotten extremely close, but it's not going to fit in a 44/47/555.

Quoted from TheLaw:

I usually have some real 44s thrown in if the bulb is in your field of view.

This is the proper way to do this job in my book. If you can see the bulb, even a little bit, it's gotta be a 44/47. Bulbs that are completely covered by a plastic, or lane guide you can use a WW LED of either 1SMD or Retro variety depending on their placement.

Backbox needs to be LED'd with Retro or 1SMD bulbs non ghosting.

2SMDs do not belong anywhere on an EM.

I've yet to have strobing issues with LEDs in an EM and I'm not sure how sensitive I am to the effect, but the non-ghosting bulbs are a must have for me.

1 week later
    #33 2 years ago
    Quoted from TwinDavid:

Second swipe at it. I added incandescent yellow 44's into the mix. Its much better than Christmas in Hell?

Expose your photo for the bulbs not the playfield art and then we can get a better look at how they look in combination with one another.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radial_head.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-new-retro-warm-led-vs-incandescent-lighting-em-s?tu=radial_head and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.