(Topic ID: 294535)

The New Retro Warm LED vs Incandescent Lighting. (E.M.'s)

By TwinDavid

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by LORDDREK
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1847 (resized).jpg
    kittens (resized).jpg
    IMG_9142 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9140 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9138 (resized).JPG
    360DA61A-A2B3-4B5B-8067-AE6E557B8512 (resized).jpeg
    1FE3D363-DD19-4975-98A6-1CAFD2760DD2 (resized).jpeg
    Little Joe LED 3.png (resized).jpg
    lithuania flag.gif
    Little Joe LED 1 (resized).png
    16255029490947370635483931934449 (resized).jpg
    5C684BA4-1A32-4DDA-94E1-C66911C85E7E (resized).jpeg
    Little Joe LED (resized).jpg
    D4C6645D-C31F-4CCC-9F7C-E76ABBE805F4 (resized).jpeg
    night led (resized).jpg
    Gold Rush LED (resized).jpg
    There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from TwinDavid:

I'm not worried. I think LED's are awful for Em's. I'm trying to make them work. They don't. The latest was a mix of incandescent and LED's...still doesn't work.

Every time you put LEDs in an EM, God kills a kitten.

kittens (resized).jpgkittens (resized).jpg

#52 2 years ago

I'll give you an analogy. Transistors have almost totally replaced vacuum tubes in audio amplifiers. However good a transistor amplifier sounds, it doesn't sound the same as a tube amplifier. Some prefer the sound of one over the other, but true audiophiles generally prefer the sound of vacuum tubes.
    They are two completely different technologies designed to accomplish the same task, but a transistor, no matter how good, will never sound like a tube.
    Same with LEDs and incandescent lamps. They're just different, and an LED will never have the same visual effect as an incandescent lamp.
    It's interesting to note that the "older" technologies each emit significantly more heat than the newer technologies.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I'll give you an analogy. Transistors have almost totally replaced vacuum tubes in audio amplifiers. However good a transistor amplifier sounds, it doesn't sound the same as a tube amplifier. Some prefer the sound of one over the other, but true audiophiles generally prefer the sound of vacuum tubes.
    They are two completely different technologies designed to accomplish the same task, but a transistor, no matter how good, will never sound like a tube.
    Same with LEDs and incandescent lamps. They're just different, and an LED will never have the same visual effect as an incandescent lamp.
    It's interesting to note that the "older" technologies each emit significantly more heat than the newer technologies.

I'm audiophile and this is so true. So true that I just slipped a pair of my tube amps in for my solid state amps two weeks ago. I go back and forth. I have too many amplifiers and I keep building more. Let's not get off topic, but we could discuss single-ended vs push-pull amplifiers (SS or Tube). Lol, hobbies!

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

So True, Yet when I was in business, a vast amount of emails was, "Why cant you make a bulb that looks like an Incandescent!"

Nothing I could write shared an answer as well as your answer.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

...It's interesting to note that the "older" technologies each emit significantly more heat than the newer technologies.

It's also interesting to note how this heat by-product is usually misconstrued as "waste" and that we must eliminate such wastefulness at all costs.

• For light bulbs, I prefer to spend the few extra pennies to save my retinas & brain from the flicker, UV, and blue.

• A watt is a watt. For much of the country, heat would not be considered as "waste" roughly 7-9 months of the year. For the other 3-5 months, see bullet above.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from sparky672:

• A watt is a watt. For much of the country, heat would not be considered as "waste" roughly 7-9 months of the year. For the other 3-5 months, see bullet above.

Totally agree. In winter when you need to heat your home, the more incandescent lights you run indoors, the less your heating system has to put out.

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from sparky672:

It's also interesting to note how this heat by-product is usually misconstrued as "waste" and that we must eliminate such wastefulness at all costs.
    • For light bulbs, I prefer to spend the few extra pennies to save my retinas & brain from the flicker, UV, and blue.

Quoted from jrpinball:

Totally agree. In winter when you need to heat your home, the more incandescent lights you run indoors, the less your heating system has to put out.

With this logic those CFL bulbs are clear winners. Hotter than hell and low wattage…

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

With this logic those CFL bulbs are clear winners. Hotter than hell and low wattage…

Then something might be wrong with your CFL. It takes power (watts) to make that heat. If they are rated x watts, then x watts is the total power consumption, including the heat.

For an incandescent bulb, approx. 1:9 is the light:heat ratio. Ex: 100-watt bulb converts 90-watts into heat and 10-watts into light. It's a little better for the newer halogens, where a 72-watt bulb gives off the same number of lumens as the older style 100-watt bulbs.

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from sparky672:

I picked up a box of ten #1847 bulbs from Amazon for $6. These are CEC brand made in China, which is slightly more expensive than the Eiko brand you get from PBR, but shipping is free.
    amazon.com link »
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    I did not take a photo of the lamp itself, but these have brass bodies like the old GE bulbs. I'm not saying the brass bulb base is superior, but these look & feel a lot better than the chrome Taiwanese Eiko brand, which seem like cheap crap.
    I don't know yet if these will last any longer, but the #1847 is the heavy-duty equivalent of the 3000-hour #47 bulb. It's supposed to have a 5000-hour life, but because the filament is heavier, it's not going to burn as bright or hot.
    I'm not going to tell you which one is which in the photo below, but out of the three bulbs, one is a 1847 and the other two are 47's. You can barely pick it out... and if it really lasts longer, or at least more than a couple hundred hours, these are the new bulbs for me.
    [quoted image]

So, I did some research and actually bought 2 boxes. The 1847 are basically "47's". They are dimmer than the 44's. BUT, they have brass bases and have a nice warm light. In fact, the packaging and the bulbs look like new old stock.

I think if you dress the entire machine with these you wouldn't even know. I have one installed on the right sling shot. They are noticeably darker in person.

Even still, BIG thumbs up!

1847 (resized).jpg1847 (resized).jpg
    #60 2 years ago
    Quoted from sparky672:

Then something might be wrong with your CFL. It takes power (watts) to make that heat. If they are rated x watts, then x watts is the total power consumption, including the heat.
    For an incandescent bulb, approx. 1:9 is the light:heat ratio. Ex: 100-watt bulb converts 90-watts into heat and 10-watts into light. It's a little better for the newer halogens, where a 72-watt bulb gives off the same number of lumens as the older style 100-watt bulbs.

I was trying to humorously refer to this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/softsolder.com/2017/11/12/another-failed-cfl-bulb/amp/

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-new-retro-warm-led-vs-incandescent-lighting-em-s/page/2?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.