(Topic ID: 140968)

The New Pinball Dictionary

By FunWithBonus

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoelOmatik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago

Pinagogue: Pinball house of worship.

Synonyms: arcade, game room, pin palace, man cave.

It is here where the religion of Pinduism is practiced, and the god Pinballah is worshipped. We read from the Holy Book, the High SKoran. Battles with the Flying Habitrail Monster and Tilt Chamberlain (chronic tilters) are frequently engaged here

1 week later
    #12 8 years ago

Pingefest:

Playing so much pinball that your hands, back and feet are killing you. The moment your body tells you to stop and take a break....you deduce you simply must play MORE pinball!

Oh, and a big congrats on your win, Steve!

1 week later
    #21 8 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Dead flip. The art of taking a sip of your favorite beverage whilest doing absolutely nothing with flippers but the ball stays in play!

How about the Dead Flip Sip

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from FunWithBonus:

1. The extra attraction to the drains/outlanes that a ball seems to have immediately after you've been awarded an extra ball. I swear I seem to drain within seconds of my getting an EB about 90% of the time!

Wreckstraball! (Or Wrextraball)

Synonyms:
    Reject-straball (Rejextraball for short)
    Extra Brick
    Defect-straball (Defextraball for short)
    Extract Ball
    InfectsAball
    What-the-heck-stra-ball?

When a ball drains and rolls backwards far enough up the outlane until it hits a coil switch that activates an outlane ball saver that puts it back into play. For example, I've seen it happen a lot in Firepower. It's like an extreme reverse Lazarus ball, but the kicker back into play makes it extra awesome and makes me think it needs a name! I think this is one of my favorite things to see happen in pinball!

The Lazeralus!

(Combination of "lateral" and "Lazarus". The save happens on either lateral side of the game, so it's a "lateral save" or Lazeralus).

Synonyms: LatLaz/LaterLaz/Lateralus/Lateraz/LazLat

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Now multi drains have lots of terms right??
    Baby Ruth Bar
    Everyone out of the pool!!
    Let's really get this topic blazin!

A common term I heard is Simuldraneous. Was it Bowen Kerins that coined it?

Synonyms:

Torrential Drains
    Runaway Drain
    MultiFlaw
    A Drain in the Ass
    The Drain in Spain falls mainly in my pain
    Category 5 HurriDrain
    Insane in the Drain
    The drain of my existence

Many, many more

#36 8 years ago

Need something to describe the drain that happens when you try to do a dead flipper pass / bounce pass, but instead the ball lands in that space between the top of the flipper and the bottom of the inlane plastic area.
    So the ball hits that area, and it either redirects straight down the middle at high-speed, or it hops up a few inches and arcs down the middle.
    Frank Romero suggested the "Bunny Hop."
    I sometimes call it a "Joint Drain" because it landed on the joint.

1) How about the Side Trampoline Careen?

Since the ball basically does a lateral trampoline bounce off the f$&@%ing bottom inlane return guide, then careens so blissfully like a gymnast between the flippers.

2) Or, the Triple Lindy (Flipper Pindy?) -A fancier version of this annoying drain.

Taken from the hilarious Rodney Dangerfield diving maneuver from the classic '86 film "Back To School".

The ball bounces emerges from the top of the playfield, off the top slingshot post (sometimes bouncing here more than once), onto the f?$&ing bottom inlane return guide, then into the outhole. 10-10-10! Just insert this music for added effect (starts at 1:10). Armpit farts not included.

1 week later
    #41 8 years ago

Pinister: Minister of Pinball. Aka, a very skilled player.

Yeah, more pinball religion just because.

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from DoubleDanger:

Pinfolk \'pin-folk\ noun 1. The pinball friends with whom one plays so frequently as to feel a familial, almost tribal attachment. Derived from 'kinfolk.' Ex. "Do you want to go see a movie?" "Sorry, I've got weekly league with my pinfolk tonight." 2. A less pejorative term for the community of pinball enthusiasts as a whole. Ex. "Look at all those pinheads going to Chicago for Expo." "Haven't you heard? They prefer to be called 'pinfolk' now."

I like it! The singular version of this should be Pindividual.

#59 8 years ago

Passing Pinterference: (or Lock-blocked)

Also can be called "Ock-Blocked" when playing Spider-Man, or any other term that fits the game and theme. (Eg: Clock-blocked for FH/Rock-blocked for ACDC/Hawk-blocked for Avengers, etc)

(Usually happens during multiball)

Meaning: When a perfectly aimed ball (often to a very important shot) is blocked by a wayward ball or other thing/device, denying the player a very necessary score increase.

Eg: On HS2, I nailed a perfect left orbit shot to the up/down ramp when it was down for a Super Jackpot. Unfortunately, a wayward ball also went up the right orbit simultaneously and triggered the ramp to open upwards, thus denying me a hefty 50 million SJP. I was gypped by Passing Pinterference. I was completely Lock Blocked.

3 weeks later
    #64 8 years ago

The Flying Habitrail Monster touches all pinball players.

I decided to add some secret, esoteric (and outright nerdy) mystique to the religion of Pinduism: The Freeplaysons! They are governed by the high priests known as the Pinisters.

They are not an outwardly sect of pindividuals, but more underground and mysterious (add haunting da Vinci Code music for effect). Their symbol is not a compass and square, but a soldering iron and screwdriver....or whatever tools float your boat.

The secret gesture is exactly like the sign of the cross, but carries a different meaning: (going from top, bottom, left and right).

1) Striving for a high score
    2) Maximum drain prevention
    3) Left flipper shooting accuracy
    4) Right flipper shooting accuracy

Now let the Trongegration rise!

#67 8 years ago

"You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion." -- L. Ron Hubbard

Please donate some tokens as the charity baskets are passed around!

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Just use the "M" sign for MULTIBALL!
    Note: Freemasons, Illuminati and Knights Templar will wonder which temple you belong and stuff.

I'm a proud member of the Pinagogue!

1 week later
    #76 8 years ago

Mag-NO Save:

When the manga save option fails to save your ball, either by a weak magnet, or by bad timing.

1 week later
    #79 8 years ago

Shatzphemy: Failed attempts to Shatz the inlane (alley pass), either by flipping too early and banking off the slings, or flipping too late and draining.

Shatzploitation: Continuous successful inlane Shatzing, obviously!

3 weeks later
    #91 8 years ago

Upper Flipper Bitch Slap:

When a flipped upper flipper sends the ball down the side drain, rather than your intended target.

Synonyms:

-Flip n' Gyp
    -Flipped n' Tripped
    -Top Flip Gyp
    -Flip You In The Nuts
    -Upper Flipper Backhand Slap
    -Upper-handed
    -Upper handled
    -Upper Manhandled
    -Upper Flipper Tripper

Commonly experienced on 3+ flipper games like: EBD, Captain F, HS2, TZ, etc.

10 months later
    #102 7 years ago

Laundry Room.

(Sorry for grainy pic, I couldn't find a clear closeup)

It's the Future Spa version of The Beast's Lair on Paragon, but on the right side of the game. Nobody wants to be here because of the high chance of ball loss. While the Beasts Lair is dangerous, threatening and deadly, the Laundry Room is smelly, filthy and gross.

Entering the BL will risk you being eaten alive by the lion/chicken beast on Paragon. Entering the LR is like risking your membership being cancelled from the juiced-up 70s fountain of youth called Future Spa. Stay away from here and you'll stay away from trouble!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

1 month later
    #104 7 years ago

"You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion." -- L. Ron Hubbard

You mean...L. Tron Hubbard

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoelOmatik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-new-pinball-dictionary?tu=JoelOmatik and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.