(Topic ID: 140968)

The New Pinball Dictionary

By FunWithBonus

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpg
    There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from JoelOmatik:

Pinister: Minister of Pinball. Aka, a very skilled player.
    Yeah, more pinball religion just because.

The Flying Habitrail Monster touches all pinball players.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mar:

I submitted a term for this to the pinball dictionary a while ago, but it seemed to fade away. I called it Barn Dance. When the game does a ball search while you're playing, because you can't hit the side of a barn.

I've learned that reddit has a "fade" after a time of inactivity. Comments get disabled, but up/down voting remains active.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PinballDictionary/comments/31ame3/barn_dance/

Pinside doesn't fade, does it? It looks like it's time to repost some of them here.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from Shenanigander:

Is there not some site called stucky balls where you post odd places your ball gets stuck? Why cant I find it? I figure you would know Steve

You may be referring to the Stucky Balls group on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/243501689070308/

#54 8 years ago

RUO = Route Use Only

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from FunWithBonus:

You may be referring to the Stucky Balls group on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/243501689070308/

Thanks Steve!

#56 8 years ago

"Greeking" a rollover lane : where the ball travels back up thru a rollover lane (reverse direction)
    normally with the aid of nudging and a pop bumper or flipper flip.

#57 8 years ago

Alley-oop: Passing the ball from a lower flipper to an upper flipper to make a shot. eg. you can alley-oop from the bottom left flipper on Tron to the upper left flipper to make a gem or ramp shot!

#58 8 years ago

New Pinball Dictionary nominations: Up-vote leaders so far (not including my own up-votes)

7-10 Split with 6 up-votes

Clustervuk with 5 up-votes (and 35+ Likes on Facebook) (https://www.facebook.com/groups/funwithbonus/)

Pinagogue with 4 up-votes

JPOP'd with 4 up-votes
    (Stay classy, Pinside! )

Peavlered with 0 up-votes
    However, there are 26+ Likes on Facebook and video evidence. The lore is always good to have. I usually discourage the use of proper names, but this one has earned special dispensation. Plus, the real live person is cool with it, which helps.

=> Clustervuk scheduled for promotion on November 29th
    => Seeing if 7-10 split and Pinagogue can get more support.

#59 8 years ago

Passing Pinterference: (or Lock-blocked)

Also can be called "Ock-Blocked" when playing Spider-Man, or any other term that fits the game and theme. (Eg: Clock-blocked for FH/Rock-blocked for ACDC/Hawk-blocked for Avengers, etc)

(Usually happens during multiball)

Meaning: When a perfectly aimed ball (often to a very important shot) is blocked by a wayward ball or other thing/device, denying the player a very necessary score increase.

Eg: On HS2, I nailed a perfect left orbit shot to the up/down ramp when it was down for a Super Jackpot. Unfortunately, a wayward ball also went up the right orbit simultaneously and triggered the ramp to open upwards, thus denying me a hefty 50 million SJP. I was gypped by Passing Pinterference. I was completely Lock Blocked.

1 week later
    #60 8 years ago

Danger Zone

1) That moment of time immediately after an aggressive save when everyone is watching the screen flash "DANGER", "DANGER DANGER", and wondering if it'll tilt or be safe.

2) The subsequent game state where you have to play super carefully because you know any further move will tilt you out. Obviously extra potent on games with big bonus, or when trying to make a ball 3 comeback.

Nominated by: Joe Schober
    Supported by 18+ "Likes" on the Fun With Bonus Facebook Group

Example for reference: PAPA 18 Zach Sharpe v. Robert Gagno on Star Trek Pro
    Time index: 3h 45m 15s

Other synonyms nominated:
    "Working Without a Net" - Keith Elwin
    "Borrowed Time" - Brian J Teyssier
    "(Flipping) On Thin Ice" - Greg Poverelli
    "Playing With House Money" - Colin MacAlpine

1 week later
    #61 8 years ago

Nudge Fudge: You make a nice nudge to save the ball then drain shortly after due to bad flipper control.

#62 8 years ago

I love this one !

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from FXR:

I love this one !

image.jpeg

That hat makes "Clustervuk" feel to me like it could be a sponsor for an auto race.

"Welcome to the Clustervuk 500!"

#64 8 years ago

The Flying Habitrail Monster touches all pinball players.

I decided to add some secret, esoteric (and outright nerdy) mystique to the religion of Pinduism: The Freeplaysons! They are governed by the high priests known as the Pinisters.

They are not an outwardly sect of pindividuals, but more underground and mysterious (add haunting da Vinci Code music for effect). Their symbol is not a compass and square, but a soldering iron and screwdriver....or whatever tools float your boat.

The secret gesture is exactly like the sign of the cross, but carries a different meaning: (going from top, bottom, left and right).

1) Striving for a high score
    2) Maximum drain prevention
    3) Left flipper shooting accuracy
    4) Right flipper shooting accuracy

Now let the Trongegration rise!

#65 8 years ago

That hat makes "Clustervuk" feel to me like it could be a sponsor for an auto race.
    "Welcome to the Clustervuk 500!"

Maybe I should do some with the 500 on it too. I like the idea. Should be a lot of mayhem and action in the Clustervuk 500 !

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from JoelOmatik:

I decided to add some secret, esoteric (and outright nerdy) mystique to the religion of Pinduism: The Freeplaysons! They are governed by the high priests known as the Pinisters.
    They are not an outwardly sect of pindividuals, but more underground and mysterious (add haunting da Vinci Code music for effect). Their symbol is not a compass and square, but a soldering iron and screwdriver....or whatever tools float your boat.
    The secret gesture is exactly like the sign of the cross, but carries a different meaning: (going from top, bottom, left and right).
    1) Striving for a high score
    2) Maximum drain prevention
    3) Left flipper shooting accuracy
    4) Right flipper shooting accuracy
    Now let the Trongegration rise!

"You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion." -- L. Ron Hubbard

#67 8 years ago

"You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion." -- L. Ron Hubbard

Please donate some tokens as the charity baskets are passed around!

#68 8 years ago

"Underfield: Referring to the components mounted to the bottom of the playfield.

#69 8 years ago

I've never used any of these words. However, I do use some or all of the following on most games:

Bulls*&t. As in "That's f*&king bulls&^t!" after almost all ball drains.
    F*&k You. As in "F*&k you!!!" after some of the other ball drains.
    Motherf*&ker. As in "MOTHERF*&KER!" after a ball drain immediately after starting Red Line Mania or Supercharger, in HS2.

These may be used together in various combinations.

#70 8 years ago

Kickjack: When your ball goes past the kickback so fast that it either jumps the switch or beats the kickback therefore you get jacked out of your kickback.

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from JoelOmatik:

The secret gesture is

Just use the "M" sign for MULTIBALL!
    Note: Freemasons, Illuminati and Knights Templar will wonder which temple you belong and stuff.

#72 8 years ago

From reddit user ManicFrizz:

Nintendo

Where upon winning a game you enter someone else's initials. For example, Many people enter NES initials to show they are thinking about Neil Shatz, although this works for any initials, the popularity of Neil Shatz and his Nintendo initials started it all. Thank you NES

#73 8 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

I've never used any of these words. However, I do use some or all of the following on most games:
    Bulls*&t. As in "That's f*&king bulls&^t!" after almost all ball drains.
    F*&k You. As in "F*&k you!!!" after some of the other ball drains.
    Motherf*&ker. As in "MOTHERF*&KER!" after a ball drain immediately after starting Red Line Mania or Supercharger, in HS2.
    These may be used together in various combinations.

I will neither confirm nor deny the use of these words during games of The Walking Dead.

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Just use the "M" sign for MULTIBALL!
    Note: Freemasons, Illuminati and Knights Templar will wonder which temple you belong and stuff.

I'm a proud member of the Pinagogue!

1 week later
    #75 8 years ago

Bitch slapped: When you shoot the ball up and it hits the underside of an upper flipper and as the upper flipper goes back down it reverse flips the ball back down the drain! Happy New Year!

#76 8 years ago

Mag-NO Save:

When the manga save option fails to save your ball, either by a weak magnet, or by bad timing.

#77 8 years ago
    Quoted from JoelOmatik:

Mag-NO Save:
    When the manga save option fails to save your ball, either by a weak magnet, or by bad timing.

common in wcs

#78 8 years ago

Counter nudge: when playing split flipper and you and your partner both push on the cabinet at the same time trying to save a ball down the middle countering the nudge effect entirely.

Used tonight in LOTR: "don't counter nudge me man!"

1 week later
    #79 8 years ago

Shatzphemy: Failed attempts to Shatz the inlane (alley pass), either by flipping too early and banking off the slings, or flipping too late and draining.

Shatzploitation: Continuous successful inlane Shatzing, obviously!

#80 8 years ago

Counter nudge: when playing split flipper and you and your partner both push on the cabinet at the same time trying to save a ball down the middle countering the nudge effect entirely.
    Used tonight in LOTR: "don't counter nudge me man!"

This isn't so much a new pinball word as it is a description of what happened.

1 week later
    #81 8 years ago

From Evan Bingham:

Back Door Kickback

When there's a center drain, and the ball rolls up the left apron and gets kicked back into play after hitting the left outlane switch

#82 8 years ago

When one rips the spinner to overtake their opponent and win the game that is what I like to call "Spinner, Spinner, Chicken Dinner!"

#83 8 years ago

"Dead Ball Foul"

When a ball is hitting nothing but scoreless posts & such for so long... that that ball finder routine kicks in.

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from scottslash:

"Dead Ball Foul"

When a ball is hitting nothing but scoreless posts & such for so long... that that ball finder routine kicks in.

Just saw other posts for same: Bricklayer, Skill Search, etc. Love em all!

#85 8 years ago

CATastrophe: When you leave the coin door open and your cat jumps in.

#86 8 years ago

"Skill Search" made my actually laugh audibly. I'm sure my coworkers think I'm nuts.

#87 8 years ago

Pintuition - 1. the art of knowing how to time a flipper so that you catch a ball or slow it down. 2. The art of rhythmically nudging a machine to get the ball to drop in a desired location. 3. the art of knowing how far to pull back the plunger to make the ball hit a specific target.

#88 8 years ago
    Quoted from Onevox:

Pintuition - 1. the art of knowing how to time a flipper so that you catch a ball or slow it down. 2. The art of rhythmically nudging a machine to get the ball to drop in a desired location. 3. the art of knowing how far to pull back the plunger to make the ball hit a specific target.

4. Fees paid to institutions of higher learning devoted exclusively to pinball.

#89 8 years ago

Plus, "crook" is good because it's related to robbery. It could be said that "Oh, they thought the bounce pass would be fine, but they got robbed by the crook."

FWIW, ever since I saw this, I say "I got crooked." perfect, IMO.

#90 8 years ago

Micky Dee'd = When you order and pay for pinball parts that never turn up!

#91 8 years ago

Upper Flipper Bitch Slap:

When a flipped upper flipper sends the ball down the side drain, rather than your intended target.

Synonyms:

-Flip n' Gyp
    -Flipped n' Tripped
    -Top Flip Gyp
    -Flip You In The Nuts
    -Upper Flipper Backhand Slap
    -Upper-handed
    -Upper handled
    -Upper Manhandled
    -Upper Flipper Tripper

Commonly experienced on 3+ flipper games like: EBD, Captain F, HS2, TZ, etc.

3 weeks later
    #92 8 years ago

What about a term for when the ball hits the glass........ "glass pass" or something!

#93 8 years ago

What about a term for when the ball hits the glass........ "glass pass" or something!

Kinda obvious, but how 'bout "Hitting the glass ceiling" ?

1 month later
    #94 8 years ago

Sling Shlonged

Where the slings throw your ball back and forth then into the outlane.

2 months later
    #95 7 years ago

Commentating drain: when you are too busy commentating your own game play (often bragging about something ) that you lose control and drain.

Back seat driver commentating drain: when your friend that is watching you play is commentating on your game play and causes you to lose the ball.

#96 7 years ago

Commentating drain: when you are too busy commentating your own game play (often bragging about something ) that you lose control and drain.
    Back seat driver commentating drain: when your friend that is watching you play is commentating on your game play and causes you to lose the ball.

Inspired me to think of the Dot Draintrix, when you think you have the ball trapped and look up at the DMD, just to find out that the ball wasn't entirely under control and rolls off the flipper and drains.

#97 7 years ago

"Flipped it away."

When you are trying like mad to get the ball under control, flip a flipper when you didn't need to and drain out the sides or center.

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Inspired me to think of the Dot Draintrix, when you think you have the ball trapped and look up at the DMD, just to find out that the ball wasn't entirely under control and rolls off the flipper and drains.

Haha yep. We have all been there!

#99 7 years ago

tombstoned

A collection of pinballs stood on their ends in storage, with or without heads.

4 months later
    #100 7 years ago

One ball wonder: someone who gets a great score based on the efforts of one ball only

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-new-pinball-dictionary/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.