8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by altan
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I was surprised to find (the new) Gameroom Magazine arrive yesterday. I don't recall how many issues I had remaining when the original died, but apparently I had at least one.

I haven't read it front to back, but thought I'd post some initial impressions

1) It's about 80 pages
    2) Full color, good feel
    3) Cover page art is at least as good as old Gameroom --- probably better, but that bar isn't very high
    4) The typeface is shockingly huge. Does Nic think the readers are used to the large print readers digest format?
    5) Honestly, it's distracting (the typeface size).
    6) Counted quickly there appears to be 49 pages are articles/information. Everything else is full page images, intros to articles that follow (but with no real info), adverts, etc.
    7) There are 13 full page ads from "The Pinball Company", which I believe also publishes the mag? Seems high. Although I suspect the goal of this magazine is at least partially to direct potential buyers back to their sales department.
    8) Exceptionally small article on David Copperfield. This one disappointed me. The "interview" with Dave was written up in less than 300 words, although there is non-interview text before and after.
    9) I don't like virtual pinball at all. But if you do, you'll like the following. At least 11 pages (of the ~49, almost 23%) cover it. I didn't include pages with full graphics and no text.
    10) Preston's 10 best gameroom resources was a good list, for a topic that's could be argued until the cows come home. I for one don't have the time for any of John's lengthy videos, so disagree with that one

But overall... it feels good to have (the new) Gameroom magazine in my hands after all these years. It's not like Star Wars Episode I where we waited years after Episode VI and got a clunker. It's a good first issue with some obvious room for improvement.

And there you have it... my initial impressions. Other thoughts out there?

... Altan

#2 8 years ago
    Quoted from altan:

Other thoughts out there?

I liked it better when Kevin had me as tech editor.

LTG : (

#3 8 years ago

I haven't read the whole mag yet, but I enjoyed the Tales of the Silverball by Rob Craig. Brought back some memories, and some good insight into just how much improved the games are since 2009. Yeah, I did notice the abundance of ads for the pinball company but hey, it's their mag so why not self promote?

#4 8 years ago

I was also surprised to find the first new issue in my mailbox before work today. I have not read the entire thing yet, but so far I do enjoy it, was also surprised to see that I was quoted (Rilaw) from a Pinside post . High quality, very presentable, and Good content. I will now be subscribing, and look forward to future issues (Just wish there were more than just four issues a year).

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from altan:

Other thoughts out there?
    ... Altan

I miss the jabs back & fourth between long-ago publisher Tim Ferrante (who thinks ebay's policies are really good) and Glen Strope. Strope's Blue Moon Banter as well as Bill Bicker's Juke Box Friday Night articles provided a nice balance in the old Gameroom Magazine.

I don't think the new publisher researched Kevin Steele's subscription list and is planning to send us the balance of the magazines we didn't get from Kevin. I think the new publisher took the old list and will send all old subscribers one or two copies in the hope of getting most of us to subscribe.

The magazine is good and sounds fairly priced for this day and age.

#6 8 years ago

I was very pleasantly surprised to receive this and like several articles including the one stating the difficult time for Stern, how they came back and ways they've improved but also ways they could improve including the lock-down bar on the PRO models. I'm glad to see this revived and although ads rarely catch my eye, I admit to like the TH one

Overall for a first issue in reviving it was very happy with it and looking forward to future issues. Would like to see LTG involved in it if possible, please!

#7 8 years ago

Although I drained the thread long ago, I smiled at the Lionman pinball life advertisement.

#8 8 years ago

Ran across this totally by accident when looking up some history on Gameroom.

Looks like a $299 contest may have been held to create the new logo?

http://99designs.com/logo-design/contests/gameroom-magazine-looking-logo-377581/entries

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-new-gameroom-magazine-observations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.