2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20210809-213451 (resized).png
    MP13 (resized).JPG
    MP11 (resized).JPG
    MP10 (resized).JPG
    MP9 (resized).JPG
    MP4 (resized).JPG
    MP1 (resized).JPG
    #1 2 years ago

As a pinball enthusiast since the 70's, when I finally bought my forever home in 2000 I decided it was time to have a gameroom. Joined RGP and found the Mr Pinball price guide. I pulled this old copy out today and looked it over. Back in day before you had internet on your phone, I would haul this to shows and even to the occasional operators warehouse I had access to have a database of info in negotiating prices. Most could care less what my price book listed. They were take it or leave it.

Looking back after 20 years, a few observations. A Bally EK EM was worth $275 more than a SS. A Fathom was worth as much as a Xenon. TZ and AF were cheap. A Stern F2K worth more than SG or 9 Ball. Look over the pics, values are the far right. These values were working games in very good condition. This was the price bible back then, but like everything collectible it went out the window in a must have or extremely nice example. Enjoy.

MP1 (resized).JPGMP1 (resized).JPGMP10 (resized).JPGMP10 (resized).JPGMP11 (resized).JPGMP11 (resized).JPGMP13 (resized).JPGMP13 (resized).JPGMP4 (resized).JPGMP4 (resized).JPGMP9 (resized).JPGMP9 (resized).JPG
    #2 2 years ago

For what it's worth I ALWAYS felt like the "price guide" lagged well behind reality, just as the "Pinside suggested price guide" tends to lag well behind reality today.

My response to price guides being waved in my face - whether back in 2003, or today, when randos are always trying to get me to knock a price down 40 percent because of "pinside suggested value," is the same as those operators' was back then: Not really interested in that nonsense, here's my price.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My response to price guides being waved in my face - whether back in 2003, or today, when randos are always trying to get me to knock a price down 40 percent because of "pinside suggested value," is the same as those operators' was back then: Not really interested in that nonsense, here's my price

I was the total newbie in 2000 as far as prices. I quickly learned operators would let a game rot rather then lower their prices.

#4 2 years ago

This varies wildly based on title. Today, I don't believe that's the case. It just varies based on screen type/era with some manufacturers commanding slightly less.

#5 2 years ago

Yeah, I think I started looking at price guides 8 years ago and they never seemed even close to market price. Still even if you doubled those prices it would be fun to put together a fantasy collection for 15k.

#6 2 years ago
    Screenshot_20210809-213451 (resized).pngScreenshot_20210809-213451 (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-mr-pinball-price-guide-from-2001-looking-back and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.