Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by robertmee
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

I was playing Congo for the first time a while ago. I managed to activate some weird timed mode, where power of the flippers was turned off, causing the ball to drain, after which I was supposed to use the plunger to hit a cycling target on the left side of the playfield. The machine kept feeding balls to the shooter lane as long as the mode lasted. So suddenly the machine turned into some sorta bagatelle. This was really cool.

After playing the Congo I started thinking what other really unique, crazy and cool modes I've encountered in pinball machines. One that came to my mind was a mode in Stern's Star Trek (Pro), where a kicker behind one of the main targets shoots the ball back to the flippers at great speed every time you manage to make the shot. Normally this occurs during one of the multiballs, but later you have only one ball during the mode. This is very cool, it really feels like "man versus machine"

All this started me wondering... What do my fellow pinsiders think are the most unique, craziest, coolest and innovative modes in pinball machines?

#2 7 years ago

Sopranos Big Fuckin Points mode

#3 7 years ago

Traffic Jam on Judge Dredd. Some pissed off dude sitting in traffic.

#4 7 years ago

The Matrix pin had a pretty cool mode where the goal was to cradle all the balls in multiball and not hit a single switch to "be quiet" while the squid things searched for them. After no switch hits for like 8 seconds the flipper power locked on and it played a video sequence clip e.t.c. It was cool as hell!

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

The Matrix pin had a pretty cool mode where the goal was to cradle all the balls in multiball and not hit a single switch to "be quiet" while the squid things searched for them. After no switch hits for like 8 seconds the flipper power locked on and it played a video sequence clip e.t.c. It was cool as hell!

Well that's indeed a brilliant idea, exactly the kinda mode I meant in my original post!

#6 7 years ago

I've always liked Move Your Car on CFTBL. The animations on the DMD are the best.

#7 7 years ago

Nero III/Enter Sandman(?) is pretty cool with the moving shots. Not quite as weird as those modes though.

I love the bit in TSPP where you have to lock all the balls to add a ball (Alien Invasion?)

The stuff in The Hobbit with the kickback feeding the ball to the upper flipper are pretty cool.

Simple, but in Black Rose I love shooting the cannon and trying to rebound off as many targets as possible

#8 7 years ago

WOF's bonus wedge modes interacting with the wheel come to mind. The pinballnews game review part 2 cover the detail pretty well..

#9 7 years ago

13 ball multiball on apollo 13. cant flip fast enough to keep them from draining!

#10 7 years ago

I've always liked the wizard mode on Junk Yard--Defeat Crazy Bob in Outer Space. The game lights all the shots, and the player needs to make all the lit shots (turning the lights off), but after a while, the game re-lights the shots. The goal is to make all the shots before the game can re-light any of them.

#11 7 years ago

I've never seen that mode on Congo. Any idea how it's activated?

#12 7 years ago

Strobe Multiball on AFM might be a candidate. All lights are off. One flasher flashes. The visor comes up and that's the only thing worth shooting for. Even then, you don't really get points out of it...the purpose is to get 10 visor hits to light the extra ball.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I've never seen that mode on Congo. Any idea how it's activated?

I think it's an award from one of the mystery holes

#14 7 years ago

WOZ and GB both have modes that swap the flippers. by far the best way to deal with it is to cross your arms. it sounds weird, but it works!

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I think it's an award from one of the mystery holes

It's called skill fire and you get in in the map award's I forget which one it is though.

#16 7 years ago

Champion Pub has two very unique modes -- the jump rope and the speed bag are both pretty unique. jump rope in particular.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

WOZ and GB both have modes that swap the flippers. by far the best way to deal with it is to cross your arms. it sounds weird, but it works!

Tspp also has this mode, Springfield mystery spot. With gb hitting the books reverts them back such a pita I have resorted to just flipping both flippers now.

#18 7 years ago

+1 for Alien Invasion on TSPP

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

It's called skill fire and you get in in the map award's I forget which one it is though.

They say it's the 6th map award in tournament mode--24 shots (18 ramps / 6 scoops) to activate the mode.

#20 7 years ago

I like JMs Powerdown mode. Spread out and make your shots to keep the sectors from blacking out and not score. All 5 sectors die and mode is over.

I think another game has it too but I like SMs Bonesaw mode. Score 100 hits in the 40 seconds. Just fun, IMO. Rip the spinner.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I like JMs Powerdown mode. Spread out and make your shots to keep the sectors from blacking out and not score. All 5 sectors die and mode is over.

Totally forgot about Powerdown, thumbs up for a great choice! Such an underrated pin too.

#22 7 years ago

Goldeneye. Satellite multiball. Have to shoot ball over the playfield ny ramp onto the moving satellite magnet. Then you have to do it again to knockthe ball off and start multiball. One of the few games that requires the ball to be airborne.Cant think of many others maybe robocop and lord of the rings.

#23 7 years ago

Lyman's Lament in Monster Bash is unique for providing commentary on your playing.

#24 7 years ago

Tspp alien invasion

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Then you have to do it again to knockthe ball off and start multiball.

Not sure this is right.. When I hit the satellite when lit, satellite multiball starts, balls kick out, then hit the lit shots.
Maybe you have a different setting?

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Not sure this is right.. When I hit the satellite when lit, satellite multiball starts, balls kick out, then hit the lit shots.
Maybe you have a different setting?

In multiball, it holds your ball up there and you can knock it down for points, on the one near me

#27 7 years ago

The blinders for Tommy are certainly unique.

While magnets are used on a great deal of games, Battling the Power is a completely unique experience for sure.

Mist multi-ball also comes to mind. Another creative use of magnets that really enhance the experience.

Edit to add: Can't believe I forgot the powerball in TZ! Such an ingenious idea.

#28 7 years ago

How about a pair of interactive mini-guns on a T2 pin.

#29 7 years ago

TotAN "Save the Princess" multi-ball when you have to manually launch the pinballs...

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

How about a pair of interactive mini-guns on a T2 pin.

Kind of not what the thread is about, but definitely crazy.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Goldeneye. Satellite multiball. Have to shoot ball over the playfield ny ramp onto the moving satellite magnet. Then you have to do it again to knockthe ball off and start multiball. One of the few games that requires the ball to be airborne.Cant think of many others maybe robocop and lord of the rings.

RFM also uses a ramp for that center shot over and over again... Agree with Zacaj when i had a Goldeneye you would shoot the ball into the sat to start multiball and you could try to bounce it out, or it would stay locked until balls drained and then give it back to continue play.

#32 7 years ago

BoP 2.0 Metamorphosis mode is a very tense, unique experience.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Strobe Multiball on AFM might be a candidate. All lights are off. One flasher flashes. The visor comes up and that's the only thing worth shooting for. Even then, you don't really get points out of it...the purpose is to get 10 visor hits to light the extra ball.

I would agree, but the thing I was most excited for when I got AFM was the Martian Attack mode. Those characters popping around and then the quote(s?) when there is just one left. So much fun. Not worth points really, but is such a joy.

#34 7 years ago

Did anyone mention the "weak flipper mode" on WOZ? I didn't even know that was a thing until playing on ours, and suddenly the witch casts a spell and the flippers wimp out! There are some others (reversing the flippers, as noted above). Sorely underused, even in that game, IMO.

#35 7 years ago

Weak Flipper mode is interesting but MAN does it suck. Good for cranking out a bunch of WIZARD awards though.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

Weak Flipper mode is interesting but MAN does it suck. Good for cranking out a bunch of WIZARD awards though.

totally agree!

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

Weak Flipper mode is interesting but MAN does it suck.

As well as no hold flippers, that kills me.

I'll vote for Lost In the Zone from TZ, its a little crazy with the power ball bouncing around but the music, call outs and intensity always make it feel like an awesome achievement.

#38 7 years ago

Midnight Madness in Dirty Harry...

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

... and all the other games it is in.

#40 7 years ago

Great thread, I am learning a lot I didn't know. I would throw in destroying the ring on LOTR, a fun and intense mode and crazy what happens if you successfully destroy it.

#41 7 years ago

Alien Invasion on TSPP is one of the most creative modes out there and one of my favorites.-although it is super frustrating to complete. I can't think of another game that forces you to have enough ball control to lock 5 balls on varying places of the playfield. Springfield Mystery Spot (reverse flippers) is another crazy mode on the same game!

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

I was thinking Dirty Harry Shoot Out mode.

The exits are lit. If the ball drains on an exit, the current player is instantly thrown into a multiball where the player must complete all of the bullet targets. Balls are continuously fed for a short period of time. After 20 seconds, all balls are drained, and the player's ball is over.

#43 7 years ago

Reverse flippers, weak flippers, no hold flippers, blinded flippers... I like these, keep 'em coming

#44 7 years ago

Zipper flippers.

#45 7 years ago

I love the Clock Chaos mode in TZ. You can theoretically keep it going forever.

Cradle the ball and wait for the clock to almost hit midnight, then shoot the clock, the clock reverses and speeds up. Wait for the clock to almost hit midnight again and shoot the clock.

It can be really fun and intense when the clock is going so fast you think its going to break and timing your shots perfectly to keep it going.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

RFM also uses a ramp for that center shot over and over again... Agree with Zacaj when i had a Goldeneye you would shoot the ball into the sat to start multiball and you could try to bounce it out, or it would stay locked until balls drained and then give it back to continue play.

There's a Goldeneye in a bar close to my workplace, and I sometimes play it. The satellite multiball is indeed cool, although it's perhaps more of a mode with an interesting target/toy/gimmick than a really "crazy" mode. I believe you can try to knock out the locked ball for super jackpot if you get through long enough in the mode... Well OK that is pretty cool indeed

I believe there is a mode in Goldeneye where enemy soldiers appear on the display, and you must use the shooter (which is shaped like a gun) to "shoot" the soldiers, but it's not a video mode, this happens during regular play - this I definitely consider a unique mode.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Zipper flippers.

Isn't this more of a feature than a mode? Anyways, zipper flippers in a modern mode based pinball machine might be an interesting idea...

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from uneksija:

Reverse flippers, weak flippers, no hold flippers, blinded flippers...

Banana flippers...

#49 7 years ago

Stewie MB in Family Guy is is pretty cool. You play both the lower and upper playfield at the same time with Jackpots on both playfields.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from uneksija:

I believe there is a mode in Goldeneye where enemy soldiers appear on the display, and you must use the shooter (which is shaped like a gun) to "shoot" the soldiers, but it's not a video mode, this happens during regular play - this I definitely consider a unique mode.

Also in LW3 and jurassic park

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-most-unique-and-craziest-modes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.