Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rimshot_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpg
There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

I have to say in my opinion, the most overrated Pinball machine is Creature From The Black Lagoon. I just don't get this one. Maybe if they used the genuine music artists it might be cute but this pin isn't even silly. OK I appreciate the drive in and the cars and stuff but this game is really poorly put together. They could have done a much cooler job with the drive in and cruising theme. The only part of this game I like is the guy stuck in the trunk.
That's my overrated pin what's yours?

#2 7 years ago

Tron for me, I'm not saying the game is shit because its quite fun but I never felt it was greatness.

#3 7 years ago

Every game that has yet to be made. For me, of the games I've played enough to form an opinion on, it's CV

#5 7 years ago

Stern's or JJP's next game. Without a doubt.

#6 7 years ago

AC/DC

#7 7 years ago

Cirqus Voltaire and Tales of the Arabian Nights. Not even close IMO.

Threads like this are fun though, because I love CFTBL, Tron, and AC/DC.

#8 7 years ago

I pretty much like all pinballs, but having said that...CV for the win!

#9 7 years ago

Ghostbusters !!!

#10 7 years ago

Ghostbusters. Mostly the pro

I know I'm gonna get hate for saying it.
But here's my opinion why....
Great theme, great art. The sounds and dots are good. And the code as it is, is actually pretty decent, kind of linear, but OK. But the game plays clunky.

The playfield layout design flaws and awkward feeling shots just kill it for me.

Slimer bash toy basically useless. Except for one mode where you actually time shots on it. Then it's finally fun to shoot at.
Otherwise it's just there for the sake of having slimer.

Scolari bros drops is a mode you don't want to start. It's more of an annoyance than fun.

Lane rails that are too short so the ball fly's over them. Frustrating.

Left side flat plastics so the ball can land on top and dribble down over them. What happened to layered plastics?

A big unfinished black metal piece in the middle of the playfield. With a ball guide that bends causing the captive ball not to work.

Right ramp that goes into the main ramp is kinda cool. But you barely need or want to try to shoot for it. Except for PKE frenzy.

Right kick out hole "clunky"

They say games that have "good" feeling shots are the most popular.
Ghostbusters has one of those shots. One shot that feels smooth when you hit it over and over and it feels good.
But the left ramp is easy to hit. So all the other flaws and awkward feeling clunky shots make the game not fun to play.

It has so much other stuff going for it.
Just my opinion, it's over rated because it looks so good but the layout and physical gameplay doesn't live up to the package.

I had Ghostbusters on lend to me. And I can honestly say I liked it for about 1 month. Then it was not fun to play anymore. I would not want to purchase one.

This is the pro mind you. I know the LE/premium flows better. But it still has some of the same "clunky" issues.

Just my opinion on what current games are overrated.

Others
BBB
Creature
GOT premium/LE (pro plays better)

#11 7 years ago

from the ones I have owned + based on the pinside rankings it's twilight zone. i was so intent on getting it and the novelty wore off in about 3 weeks. we started forcing ourselves to play it for another 5 weeks then out the door it went

#12 7 years ago

For now, Ghostbusters....................

#13 7 years ago

Scared stiff.

Rated in top 15 by pinsiders? Bit of a joke
Makes me think every pin should slap blow job jokes and some tits on the translite everyone would buy it. Let's ignore the fact that the 6 things required for wizard mode can be achieved in less than 5 minutes.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

I have to say in my opinion, the most overrated Pinball machine is Creature From The Black Lagoon. I just don't get this one. Maybe if they used the genuine music artists it might be cute but this pin isn't even silly. OK I appreciate the drive in and the cars and stuff but this game is really poorly put together. They could have done a much cooler job with the drive in and cruising theme. The only part of this game I like is the guy stuck in the trunk.
That's my overrated pin what's yours?

I've heard this same story from several people before they come over to my house. They always leave wanting a CFTBL even though a couple of hrs early they said they don't get it and don't like it. It's highly underrated in my opinion.

Most overrated is easily MM. Good fun game but not anywhere near the best.

#15 7 years ago

GB

#16 7 years ago

I actually have two cftbl s that I acquired in purchases of collections. Played the game for about 2 months now still don't get it. Nice artwork makes it cool to look at that's it for me.
I think it's refreshing how everyone has a different opinion on what's overrated. I really enjoy reading the overrated threads so they don't get boring to me. Now just need to figure out how to get rid of these cftbl s !

#18 7 years ago

Cv and mm you say? That is ridiculous?
They are the best!
Cftbl i get, weird machine..
But my nr 1 is Tron, bought it and i was so shocked,i could not believe it was a pinball.
Total rubbish,2 games and placed an ad the same day i got it...

#19 7 years ago

Every game that is just released until everyone realises that it's overated.

Other than that: SS

#20 7 years ago

How many times a year does this subject have to come up? Christ!! lol

#21 7 years ago

Same answer as last time: The Pinball Circus at #148. The existing code makes it's a novelty at best, but I could see that changing with the new project.

#22 7 years ago

TOTAN - One of the best art packages ever in a game with a great theme and dots. Gameplay, sound and rules is what kills this game for me. Crazy this game has almost always demanded a high price and been highly rated and I have no idea why. Finishing the wizard mode every time I play a game is not fun for me.

#23 7 years ago

TAF
AC DC
CV

#24 7 years ago

People who think CFTBL is overrated, can't fathom the design package as complete or they are frustrated from conquering the game in play. Fabricated excuses of design flaws of shots or flow always become the grouse to hate on a game.
The art, code, ramps, music and theme all converge for a excellent game. A great designer will have all of these captured. John Trudeau achieved this in CFTBL and Ghostbusters is the matching this criteria.

#25 7 years ago

I love CFTBL, but I don't get STTNG, even though I love Star Trek

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

Finishing the wizard mode every time I play a game is not fun for me.

LOL. Exaggerate much?

Although TOTAN is not a difficult game, NO ONE is good enough to reach the wizard mode every time they play it, unless they're playing with the glass off.

#27 7 years ago

Mm

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

But my nr 1 is Tron, bought it and i was so shocked,i could not believe it was a pinball.
Total rubbish,2 games and placed an ad the same day i got it...

Sold my fully modded LOTR. Got a fully modded Tron. Greatest swap I could have ever done.

#29 7 years ago

TAF for me too. Annoying sounds, shots feel weird to me, too much pop bumper action.

But I love CV! It's so pretty.

#30 7 years ago

Not CFTBL. Totally cool game IMO (I've owned mine about 12 years). It probably helps if you are a baby boomer

#31 7 years ago

Every single game ever made is both outrageously overrated, and incredibly underrated, which is why overrating and underrating games is a waste of time.

When it comes to games like MM or AFM which are beloved by so many, saying they are underrated is completely pointless. It's like trying to convince people U2 or the Beatles are overrated. Good luck with that.

Underrated/overrated threads are completely overrated and I'll never understand why there are so many of them.

"Wait...you say Metallica is OVERrated?! Wow...you have rocked my worldview! I'll have to look into that! Maybe this game I and so many others think is the best stern ever actually sucks!!! I'll have to take some time out and reconsider my life beliefs!!"

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from radium:

TAF for me too. Annoying sounds, shots feel weird to me, too much pop bumper action.
But I love CV! It's so pretty.

Yeah, good call. The best selling game of ALL TIME that everybody thinks is awesome is actually overrated. Like wow man.

Look, I understand it. It's an "overrated" thread. So the only interesting targets are gonna be the big dogs. Nobody is gonna give a shit if you say "I really think waterworld is overrated!"

So, naturally, people are gonna chime in and say stuff like creature, Tron, MM, etc are overrated.

You know, all the BEST games. I just don't see the point. Cause these are all the best games that everybody likes, and really by definition can't possibly be overrated.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah, good call. The best selling game of ALL TIME that everybody thinks is awesome is actually overrated. Like wow man.
Look, I understand it. It's an "overrated" thread. So the only interesting targets are gonna be the big dogs. Nobody is gonna give a shit if you say "I really think waterworld is overrated!"
So, naturally, people are gonna chime in and say stuff like creature, Tron, MM, etc are overrated.
You know, all the BEST games. I just don't see the point. Cause these are all the best games that everybody likes, and really by definition can't possibly be overrated.

I actually get what he is saying. TAF being the best selling game of all time is part of the reason it can be considered as one of the more overrated titles. Tons of people, myself included, love it from a nostalgia perspective. It was easy to find out on route at arcades, bowling alleys etc.. I thought it was the greatest machine ever back then. However, after recently getting back into pinball after a long hiatus, the game from a shot & overall game play point, just does not have the appeal that I perceived it to have. I will walk past it to play other games. This is something I would have never in a million years thought possible.

Put me in the corner of JD being vastly overrated.

#34 7 years ago

WoZ ..... its a fun game and it looks nice, but the overhype on it by owners was crazy. I am still trying see where Jesus is in the game since many think WoZ is the second coming

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from zaterminator:

Put me in the corner of JD being vastly overrated.

Nope. It's a B-list game. It's not universally loved. Plenty of people don't like it which is why it's the same price as all the other b-list games.

How can that one be overrated?

I'm the Overrating Police bro!!!!

#36 7 years ago

Attack From Mars... by far.

Anything new from Stern. I have no idea why people slurp their crap.

#37 7 years ago

STTNG... Can't find any joy in this one and I do like the show.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from CCary:

STTNG... Can't find any joy in this one and I do like the show.

I'll personally attest to this. Owned a nice one for 8 years maybe. Was happy to let it go. Never got played. Actually, I very much dislike the playfield art. Reminds me of the Data East artwork I don't like.

Regarding JD... What? That's a great game and is UNDER rated. But that's for another thread.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I get your point but the last statement is hardly true. There are several games in the top 25 that I absolutely do not like and would not want to own at any point. For my personal preference those would be overrated by a large margin. Each person is different though.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

Attack From Mars... by far.
Anything new from Stern. I have no idea why people slurp their crap.

All some of the best machines I own.

Once again reinforcing Levi's point that these threads are futile.

#41 7 years ago

I got to go with ACDC.

#42 7 years ago

We could programmatically generate the response to this thread by

1) For each game in the top 25
2) Select the users who have ratings values that are 25% lower than the average
3) Generate a post from that user saying "Game X is overrated"

#43 7 years ago

Right now it's GB by a HUGE margin...but a lot of new games are like that.

Standard answer is always BBB; just because of the $$ and low numbers it's always gotten the most love. Not that great playing of a game though. Same with CC.

#44 7 years ago

Top overrated pin? The one you just bought and can't stop raving about.

#45 7 years ago

Monster Bash for me. It looks and sounds good, but has a boring fan layout and a shallow ruleset that's reminiscent of South Park (hit shot X number of times to start mode, then hit shot X number of times again to complete). Nowhere near engaging enough and lacks character.

#46 7 years ago

I never understood why everyone goes apeshit for TZ. Right ramp, left ramp, hit the piano. Rinse and repeat. Play field is too busy and hate the sounds, music and callouts.

I tried and tried and tried to like it but I just can't. And LOTR. Not that it's a shit game, in fact just the opposite.

I just can't stand the theme. LOTR and the Hobbit is overall 18 hours of watching people walking. And don't get me started on Elijah fucken Wood!!!!!

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from rooky79:

LOTR and the Hobbit is overall 18 hours of watching people walking. And don't get me started on Elijah fucken Wood!!!!!

I hear this all the time. It's not like had cars or anything

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Every single game ever made is both outrageously overrated, and incredibly underrated, which is why overrating and underrating games is a waste of time.
When it comes to games like MM or AFM which are beloved by so many, saying they are underrated is completely pointless. It's like trying to convince people U2 or the Beatles are overrated. Good luck with that.
Underrated/overrated threads are completely overrated and I'll never understand why there are so many of them.
"Wait...you say Metallica is OVERrated?! Wow...you have rocked my worldview! I'll have to look into that! Maybe this game I and so many others think is the best stern ever actually sucks!!! I'll have to take some time out and reconsider my life beliefs!!"

Then you have the guys that refuse to accept prices have gone up over the years. Prices reflect popularity and demand. Doesn't matter what you are willing to spend if there are plenty of others that are willing to spend more. Same with new games. Stern seems to be doing very well so obviously a lot of people like their games.

1 week later
#49 7 years ago

Scared Stiff

#50 7 years ago

XM. Holy smokes people love this game and I hate its guts. It gets the neuromancer's top prize for Most Moronic Modern Pinball. I'll tell you why:

1. Giant wolverine toy that blocks any interesting shots to the left side.
2. Magneto disc thing that extremely forcefully throws your ball around the playfield like some demented whirlwind.
3. Boring shots that have to be made in excessive repetition 15-20 times in order to be completed.
4. Crappy voice acting and dialogue that is super cheesy and not in a good way. Did I mention annoying music?
5. Unintuitive rules that are not at all apparent to a layperson.

These all add up to make one miserable drain-o-matic that feels like torture to play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 24.95
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 64.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Trade
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-most-overrated-pin?hl=neuromancer87 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.