(Topic ID: 135160)

The most inconvenient design decision is...

By Baiter

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What is the most inconvenient design decision on a Stern pinball?”

• Pegs in place of playfield support rails 35 votes
      50%
    • Spike power switch location under the head 25 votes
      36%
    • Latches instead of lockdown bar 7 votes
      10%
    • Head bolts in place of rotating lock 3 votes
      4%

(70 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 5 years ago

I'm curious what item annoys customers/operators the most from relatively recent changes to Stern games. I'm a bit torn between the first two:

Playfield pegs - Common to Pro models. I don't know how much money Stern really saved by this decision, but as soon as I dropped a playfield onto the latch bar trying to slide a playfield in/out, I vowed to eradicate all pegs from my collection forever. Fortunately only 1 so far.

Spike Power Switch in head - After 60 years of a common switch location, Stern decided to put the switch to the head. Studies have shown short people can't reach it without squeezing between the games.

Playfield Latches - All my games have a lockdown bar, so I'm good

Head bolts - Implemented in 2015 to replace the rotating coffin lock... a bit of a throwback.

#2 5 years ago

Don't have a spike so my vote is pegs. I'd like to see the new power switch that every is crying piss out of their eyeballs aboot.

#3 5 years ago

Pegs suck. But the lockdown latches are fine. Very secure.

#4 5 years ago

Spike power plug doesn't affect me since games are powered by remote.

Latches, no big deal.

Head bolts, no big deal.

Pegs.... pretty useless for getting any work done and pretty inconvenient on a regular basis.

#5 5 years ago

I thought I'd hate the pegs much more than I do. They suck, but they're manageable. I like the solid head box latch the older games have.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

After 60 years of a common switch location

You should do some research on that.

#7 5 years ago

Yeah...the new head bolts are REALLY crap. If you strip out the little metal tab, or the tab beaks off...then what? You're SOL, that's what. Buy a new head for your game.

#8 5 years ago

Outlanes....

#9 5 years ago

The things you named are mainly just inconveniences to me, the playfield latches not really even that. The thing that concerns me most is the wiring and light fixtures. Both NIB Sterns I have purchased have been LED models, not sure if thats when this happened or before that, but the bulb holders feel like they're made out of milk carton plastic and the wiring/IDC connectors appear to be about the quality of WalMart Christmas lights.

I take care of my machines, but also tend to keep them. Reliability of this stuff in the future concerns me. Maybe (hope!) its nothing.

#10 5 years ago

The above things don't bother me that much but I voted pegs.

In an an example of a truly poor design, the totally shitty design of my TX-Sector back box has a habit of infuriating me.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You should do some research on that.

Yea I was just guessing, assuming it was late 60's / early 70's when the pinball power switch was "invented"? A decade or two doesn't change the original point.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

A decade or two doesn't change the original point.

True. I actually changed my original post because I was doing some useless rambling about Stern going from EM to solid state.

Carry on....

#13 5 years ago

Hate, hate, hate those pegs!

#14 5 years ago

I haven't seen these new changes in person can you guys post pics. We should post then and now pics.

#15 5 years ago

The pegs are the worst. Nothing Stern has matches that coffin in the base of WOZ. That is the worst design in any new pin and it can't be fixed with $54.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1956

#16 5 years ago

All 4 F'ing blow. WTF Stern????? You had an awesome cabinet and you done F'd it up.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

All 4 F'ing blow. WTF Stern????? You had an awesome cabinet and you done F'd it up.

Premium/LE had none of these tradeoffs prior to 2015, and Pros didn't have any prior to 2011.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Yeah...the new head bolts are REALLY crap. If you strip out the little metal tab, or the tab beaks off...then what? You're SOL, that's what. Buy a new head for your game.

TWD premium has spots for screws behind the speaker grill inside the head like the old B/W's

#19 5 years ago

I'm not entirely surprised about the pegs being the biggest annoyance, but I've yet to find a thread on pegs as active as the one complaining about the switch location. Once more people get Spike games, I bet the ratios will be closer.

#20 5 years ago

LEs
    adding a couple of extras and charging a $1000 more

#21 5 years ago

The pegs are awful.

The wired switch through the lockdown bar was also pretty annoying.

#22 5 years ago

I thought this thread was going to be about your wife getting pregnant.

#23 5 years ago

None of those things bother me....ya bunch of babies.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside