IMG_6046 (resized).JPG
loch ness auction (resized).jpg
19073006_10155413602844696_2070235748_o (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0683 (resized).JPG
IMG_0684 (resized).JPG
download (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

What is the most expensive machine that has sold, either produced, prototype or custom?

#2 6 years ago

Big Bang Bar probably

#3 6 years ago

Kingpin. $50K sale confirmed.

After that, maybe King Kong.

#4 6 years ago

That I know of....Kingpin

Other games that may have gone for more that we dont know about..

Other Kingpins, Bing Bang Bar, Zingy Bingy, King Kong

#5 6 years ago

What about Krull or Loch Ness Monster...?

John

#6 6 years ago

I don't think one has ever sold (so not an answer to your question) but Pinball Circus has to be the most valuable machine based on rarity and uniqueness. Michael Jordan is also in the realm of some of the others mentioned above.

#7 6 years ago

Most expensive machine? The Large Hadron Collider is certainly up there.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No confirmed sale.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

What about Krull or Loch Ness Monster...?

I've never heard a price benchmark on either of those two games. Only 2 Loch Ness Monsters in existence right?

#10 6 years ago

According to this post:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/rec.games.pinball/c8e1WtJ1MQQ

"...The William Wiley pinball machine: Pinball: Only One Earth (based on
Northstar) sold for $125K."

More info here:

https://worthly.com/most-expensive/the-most-expensive-pinball-machine-of-all-time/

And I've read (though not seen confirmation) that a Wizard pinball that the Who took on tour at some point and used in their stage shows was auctioned for a million dollars. Might have just been wishful thinking though lol.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I've never heard a price benchmark on either of those two games. Only 2 Loch Ness Monsters in existence right?

Last Krull I knew about for sale was $22k. Expensive but not in the Kingpin range. That was 2 years ago.

#12 6 years ago

Were any Magic Girls sold at those astronomical prices? I sorta stopped following that odyssey after a while...

#13 6 years ago

Buying a SWLE tomorrow are ya?

#14 6 years ago

is there any way in hell that sotherbys would insure any pinball machine for 80 thousand? strange story but Im asking for a reason....

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Last Krull I knew about for sale was $22k. Expensive but not in the Kingpin range. That was 2 years ago.

Wow really? That's not even close to KK either.

John

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Ive never heard of a Loch Ness pin....need to go research that now....

#17 6 years ago

Wasn't there an Aaron Spelling pin that Stern sold to the Spelling family for 100k?

#18 6 years ago

Kingpin was close to $50k ask me how I know lol.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from fourthassassin:

What is the most expensive machine that has sold, either produced, prototype or custom?

Probably an aircraft carrier. Our government pays about $10,000,000,000 per boat. that's roughly 670,000 Big Bang Bars (assuming an average sale price of $15k per game).

So if the military wanted to, for the same price as one measly aircraft carrier, they could issue a rather nice Big Bang Bar to every single member of the Army, and still have about 150,000 games left over to, i don't know, drop out of airplanes as cheap ammunition? it's up to them i guess.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

they could issue a rather nice Big Bang Bar to every single member of the Army

Sign me up!

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Wow really? That's not even close to KK either.
John

I thought it was a decent deal. It was offered to me. I couldn't buy it. No idea what happened to it after that.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Kingpin was close to $50k ask me how I know lol.

how do you know?

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

how do you know?

I know the answer!

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I know the answer!

How do you know he knows? I don't know but he says he knows and you know so someone knows.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Gets my vote!

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think the one in Batavia, Illinois is available.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I think the one in Batavia, Illinois is available.

Yeah, but shipping is a bitch.

#28 6 years ago

I dropped at least $25 worth of games on that Kingpin at the Pinball Museum in DC when it was there. Such a fun game. Capcom was really on to something but...

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

How do you know he knows? I don't know but he says he knows and you know so someone knows.

Oh he knows, and I know what he knows, but then again, who really knows...

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I dropped at least $25 worth of games on that Kingpin at the Pinball Museum in DC when it was there. Such a fun game. Capcom was really on to something but...

He needed money for a new truck for his landscaping buiness... or it would have been there longer.

#31 6 years ago

Not a pin, but thought I would chime in. I was just at a fellow hobbyist's place the other day, and he had this fully-restored 1938 Hatwin Coin Clutch game shipping out that he sold for $48k. Very cool, and they should have done something like this in T2 / T3 pins. Crazy that something like this was out in 1938.

#32 6 years ago

That digger is BAD ASS!!

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

That digger is BAD ASS!!

Definitely...and pricy. The way the hands and fingers move is absolutely nuts, especially on something 80 years ago.

He also has this fully restored gem, which I am really contemplating snagging. It will cost though...

IMG_0684 (resized).JPGIMG_0684 (resized).JPG

IMG_0683 (resized).JPGIMG_0683 (resized).JPG

#34 6 years ago

A few of these, restored of course, have sold for north of 50 grand. 1937 Rock-Ola World Series.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/images/3515/image-7.jpg

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

He also has this fully restored gem, which I am really contemplating snagging. It will cost though...

What price range is the Mini Golf? A few Winters back, for me to restore an MBA for a collector, it would
take a Mini Golf which is how I acquired mine. Nice machine, but as far as the Manikins machines that
I have, I like the Genco Basketball best..
When I was over there, I played the Bat-a-Score which he had at that time. Very cool machine for its era..
BTW, he (Mark) made out pretty good with me restoring his MBA. Over 300 hrs. and as much as I want a
Mini Golf, I didn't feel like paying for what they were going for at the time. Mark did come through with a
pretty nice M.G..

#36 6 years ago

Saw this at NWPAS.

19073006_10155413602844696_2070235748_o (resized).jpg19073006_10155413602844696_2070235748_o (resized).jpg

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

loch ness auction (resized).jpgloch ness auction (resized).jpg

#38 6 years ago

Most expensive machine is the first machine you ever buy...it sucks you into buying many, many more!

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

What price range is the Mini Golf? A few Winters back, for me to restore an MBA for a collector, it would
take a Mini Golf which is how I acquired mine. Nice machine, but as far as the Manikins machines that
I have, I like the Genco Basketball best..
When I was over there, I played the Bat-a-Score which he had at that time. Very cool machine for its era..
BTW, he (Mark) made out pretty good with me restoring his MBA. Over 300 hrs. and as much as I want a
Mini Golf, I didn't feel like paying for what they were going for at the time. Mark did come through with a
pretty nice M.G..

Yes, Mark is a cool guy. Did you do the resto on this Mini Golf game? He has it in the $6's, which I've been told is a little steep for that title. But this game is friggin cherry...so nice.

#41 6 years ago

Geez I forgot about the Road Runner pin. And here I have the translite lit up just 5 feet from me. DUH!!

Road runner tranlite boxed, May 2013 (resized).JPGRoad runner tranlite boxed, May 2013 (resized).JPG

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Did you do the resto on this Mini Golf game?

No, I didn't restore that Mini Golf. I did have to go through mine, but cosmetically
it was fine.. I have heard that Mini Golfs have gone for 6, and I'll always have mine
set up, but if I was going to dish out that amount, I myself would much rather have
a Genco 2 Player Basketball. A couple Upper end collectors said if you pick one up,
you won't let it go. And they weren't Joking!

#43 6 years ago

I haven't tried to sell it yet so I don't have a clue how much it's worth lol

IMG_8601 (resized).PNGIMG_8601 (resized).PNG

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Jojo1111:

According to this post:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/rec.games.pinball/c8e1WtJ1MQQ
"...The William Wiley pinball machine: Pinball: Only One Earth (based on
Northstar) sold for $125K."
More info here:
https://worthly.com/most-expensive/the-most-expensive-pinball-machine-of-all-time/
And I've read (though not seen confirmation) that a Wizard pinball that the Who took on tour at some point and used in their stage shows was auctioned for a million dollars. Might have just been wishful thinking though lol.

The Who have never used a pinball machine in their stage show.

#45 6 years ago

The answer in this case here has to be asked with another question.
Specificity is important.
Public, private, or auction?

There are more prototype games that have exchanged hands above $50K than Capcom's Kingpin.
There are "one offs" that have been designed by manufacturers and later sold to collectors for more than $30K.
Most of these results are not reported.

The highest PUBLIC sale of a pinball machine was Kingpin, confirmed.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

I uploaded around 75 photos to the archives quite a few months ago, when I attempted to buy it from the second owner.
It eventually sold, but not for $50K.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

30,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
$ 22.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-most-expensive-machine?hl=darcangeloel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.