(Topic ID: 129645)

Ultimate KISS Pinball Release Party & Concert - 6/28/15 (HD Pics Added)

By Jared

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Good event idea?”

• YES! I like the idea and I will attend if you do it! 10 votes
    12%
  • YES! I like the idea but I cannot make it due to location. 46 votes
    57%
  • NO. Not a cool idea. 20 votes
    25%
  • Maybe. Depends. 5 votes
    6%

(81 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
DSC_9391.jpg
DSC_9376.jpg
DSC_9367.jpg
DSC_9361.jpg
DSC_9369.jpg
DSC_9568.jpg
DSC_9566.jpg
DSC_9700.jpg
DSC_9622.jpg
DSC_9575.jpg
DSC_9502.jpg
DSC_9499.jpg
DSC_9512.jpg
DSC_9515.jpg
DSC_9529.jpg
There are 216 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 8 years ago

kiss launch party.jpgkiss launch party.jpg

Been thinking a lot about how I can take pinball to the next level and break out of the shell of the normal collectors and home owners who frequent pinball related events. With the recent release of KISS there is a extended network of KISS ARMY members and metal-heads who could be interested in an event that was assembled correctly. So I began to work.

Step one was finding a venue. One of my clients, the Silver Saloon in Terrell Texas is actually an incredible dance-hall, club and restaurant. Their lighting and sound system is amazing. They have a 2500 person capacity. They do events every Friday and Saturday, but never on a Sunday. So, I was able to negotiate to get the venue FOR FREE on a Sunday.

_A0A5339.jpg_A0A5339.jpg_A0A5582.jpg_A0A5582.jpg_A0A5522.jpg_A0A5522.jpg

Next up was to get machines. I reached out to Steve Nordseth of FUN! Billiards and Pinball, the local STERN retailer and biggest seller of machines in the area. He committed to bringing an entire lineup of new Stern Games to the event, including the new KISS machine. We plan to have 3 of that title.

Then I had to get on other activities. So found some professional face painters (bonded and insured) who could do peoples faces in KISS character style. Looked into a professional magician, a lip sync contest, costume contest, etc. All of that is still on the table but I have people lined up.

Finally, I wanted to find the ultimate KISS tribute band. I reached out to "Texas KISS-Destroyer" who is well regarded, and has been used many times by Gene Simmons and KISS themselves. They have played on the KISS-Kruise and done commercial appearances all over as KISS. They are accomplished musicians and play the character all the way down to the fire and blood. Their fee is nominal, but its a couple of grand. For this reason I would have to charge a cover to break even. http://www.thekisstribute.com/

SO THE idea then is to have this epic event on Sunday, June 28th. All ages, anyone can come. Non smoking event (patio attached). Its super cold, climate controlled for up to 2500 people... so we will not get hot. Machines will never be warm. Plenty of room to setup and play. Plus they have an awesome BBQ restaurant they would open up for the event as well as 2 of their bars so adults could have a beverage...

My end game here is that the event:

- Is A LOT more fun than a standard pinball release party
- Exposes MORE people to pinball than a standard pinball release party
- Creates a fun and festive atmosphere to celebrate the launch of KISS pinball in a memorable way
- Break even on costs and not be out of pocket for the entertainment

Anyways... I have everything arranged. Venue, Machines, Bar, Band... all I have to do is say "its on" but I need to really grasp how much interest there is in such an idea. So, I am seeking feedback from you guys before I roll out a major marketing campaign. Thanks again! -Jared

#2 8 years ago

My goodness! this is the ultimate "wish I were closer"!!!
Still I will try! Toronto is far tho.....

#3 8 years ago

That's a lot to accomplish in a few weeks.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

That's a lot to accomplish in a few weeks.

I have a unique set of skills. You in?

#5 8 years ago

Should have done it in Chicago. Would have been huge. Maybe next time?

#6 8 years ago

I want to play KISS. Would love to see a launch party local. But not interested in fighting through a concert and crowd to play it. Mark it zero, Smokey.

But Oradat is totally in.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I want to play KISS. Would love to see a launch party local. But not interested in fighting through a concert and crowd to play it. Mark it zero, Smokey.

Here is a local event with no crowd. https://www.facebook.com/events/1580818932178266/

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

LMFAO...

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

Maybe next time.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

I agree, and get Stern to help out with the costs as they should, since it's their products being promoted.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

Because the only pinball buyers in the world are in Chicago?

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

No Kidding! Could have gotten one of the area KISS tribute bands to play!

#15 8 years ago

Nothing to stop any of you guys in Chicago from coming up with an identical idea and executing.

#16 8 years ago

This is gonna be epic...

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

This is gonna be epic...

*potentially lol

If I book the band I am obligated to pay them: no matter how many show up.

This is why I am attempting to gauge interest.

I am a big believer in "if build it and have it ready to ship, they will come" lol...

#18 8 years ago

Wow, I would totally be down for this in the NW area. Sounds like a blast to me.

#19 8 years ago

I think it's a cool idea. But it's not for people on Pinside. We want to go and play the pins, and hear them, not fight through a crowd and have the game sound drowned out by some band.

You gotta pick your audience. If you're doing this to try and attract new people then just do it.

Quoted from Jared:

Nothing to stop any of you guys in Chicago from coming up with an identical idea and executing.

No offense, but the rest of us aren't being paid to promote some other company's game.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

it's not for people on Pinside.

+1
I'd start/end on Pinside by asking in the Texas clubs on Pinside.
-mof

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

asking in the Texas forum

There's a Texas forum?

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

How can there not be, we have at least 4 California forums running at once.
I heard Texas was big.
-mof

Well, for one, half of the people in Dallas that are "supposedly" involved with pinball don't even post here..this was also posted on his facebook and the loca FBl group, so most of the locals will see it off of pinside. Second...there's not that much to talk about. Other than game pickups and whatnot.

#24 8 years ago

I'd say it's high time one of you started up an "Official Texas for sale club (wanted/for trade too)" thread.

Now, don't make *me* do it, I'm born and raised in NorCal -- it wouldn't be right...

-mof

#25 8 years ago

*****I think it's a cool idea. But it's not for people on Pinside. We want to go and play the pins, and hear them, not fight through a crowd and have the game sound drowned out by some band.
You gotta pick your audience. If you're doing this to try and attract new people then just do it.*****

Which is why I designed a 4 hour free-play period before the concert starts... Nothing is going to get drowned out.

*****No offense, but the rest of us aren't being paid to promote some other company's game.*****

No offense, but I have done many launch parties to promote Stern game releases long before I worked for them. StarTrek, Mustang, TWD and WWE... I did parties for all of them... because I like doing parties.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

No offense, but I have done many launch parties to promote Stern game releases long before I worked for them. StarTrek, Mustang, TWD and WWE... I did parties for all of them... because I like doing parties.

You obviously found a great job then, hope you're enjoying it, you seem to be.

I'm not in Texas and I don't like listening to Kiss, so I'll bow out of the rest of the conversation. Post pics if you pull it off though!

#28 8 years ago

Cool concept if it was close by I think me and some friends would be atteneding. Good luck! If it does happen I hope you'll post some photos and or videos.

#30 8 years ago

There are 2 main groups I am aware of in TX. One in Dallas and one in Houston that have mailing lists set up. It is there for people to let others know if they have a game for sale or are looking for a game and for people to find local tech/repair help. There are FB pages as well for both areas.

#31 8 years ago

Now if you did one in the NY/NJ area.....hoo-boy!!

#32 8 years ago

Am I the first to say it? I'm in! Probably for two people.

Brad

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think it's a cool idea. But it's not for people on Pinside. We want to go and play the pins, and hear them, not fight through a crowd and have the game sound drowned out by some band.

I typically hold what you say in high regard, but you are generalizing and assuming no one that collects pinball likes Kiss or likes pinball and or concerts/partying. That is just not true. There are plenty of people on Pinside that would love this event. I LOVE pinball, but pretty much everywhere I go to play on location the sounds are droned out and not easy to hear. Doesn't mean I don't still want to play.

#34 8 years ago

Bump for the weekend crowd

I really hope this happens, I'd totally be there. In case it wasn't obvious from my post, like, two posts ago.

Brad

#35 8 years ago

If you're only advertising/promoting on pinball forums, you're missing half your audience - I'm sure there are KISS fan forums out there too. Isn't that the reason the original KISS pin commands the prices it does, because of actual KISS fans, not so much pinball fans? Here's one to start you off:

http://kissfansite.yuku.com/

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I typically hold what you say in high regard, but you are generalizing and assuming no one that collects pinball likes Kiss or likes pinball and or concerts/partying. That is just not true. There are plenty of people on Pinside that would love this event. I LOVE pinball, but pretty much everywhere I go to play on location the sounds are droned out and not easy to hear. Doesn't mean I don't still want to play.

Agreed. If it weren't for just getting back from Vegas, and then the SFGE in Atlanta coming up, I would have considered the trip all the way from FL. This event sounds great.

I don't even like KISS all that much, but my GF absolutely loves them. Not unlikely that other pinball fans have significant others or friends that like KISS. Great way to blend interests.

#37 8 years ago

I am not so sure that you are getting the KISS Army out in hordes for a cover band and 3 pinball machines, to a honky tonk in Terrell, Texas. That is Hicksville, USA.

#38 8 years ago

Looks like an awesome event Jared! Wish I could make it myself. That would be a ton of fun. good luck with it. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

#39 8 years ago

You need to go to KISSFAQ.COM and post this on the discussion board. Best possible place to reach KISS fans .

#40 8 years ago

It's an awesome idea, but too far away for me personally.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I am not so sure that you are getting the KISS Army out in hordes for a cover band and 3 pinball machines, to a honky tonk in Terrell, Texas. That is Hicksville, USA.

Its hard.

Renting a musical venue this size and quality would be $4-$6,000 in Dallas.

If I do it here: it's free. That makes it possible.

No way I could come up with a way to fund a $8,000 pinball party and concert. Too much risk... And if I win... The prize is I don't lose any money. lol

This is the exact reason you don't see people doing parties like this all across the nation.

Quite a bit of work and financial risk.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Its hard.
No way I could come up with a way to fund a $8,000 pinball party and concert. Too much risk... And if I win... The prize is I don't lose any money. lol
This is the exact reason you don't see people doing parties like this all across the nation.

I would say it has to be a KISS event first and a pinball event second to get big numbers. What would you need? About 250 minimum at $10 entry?

#44 8 years ago

Jared, Why are you out touting a concert when in fact you have not funded this ? Seems backwards to me. You need to pony up and pull in the people. The logic on this puts you in another position where you are going to seriously damage your reputation. People are already questioning this; and joking. When it again does not meet expectations it will again piss collectors off. Please don't take this wrong; but if I was your employer, namely Stern I would have some tough questions for you behind closed doors.

#45 8 years ago

I think I read on the DFW Pinball e-mail group that kids were welcome to this as well?

#46 8 years ago

I know I'd go if I lived alot closer. Sounds like a really fun time. In 1978 I had to chose between a strippers party or a KISS concert, I chose the KISS concert. Aint no justice I tell you.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Its hard.

Oh, I get why you would take the free venue. Have to. You could make the nut on the band fee. I was just saying that I don't know that you would get a huge response from the KISS boards on something like this.

#48 8 years ago

"The most epic pinball release ever"
I remember Steve Ritchie talking about a BK2K release party in Europe or Asia, with people in armor and horses shitting on the floor...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=epic

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

It appears to be 30min from the center of Dallas, so hardly the middle of nowhere. Fans would absolutely drive hours to see a cover band and a new Kiss pinball machine, speaking as a person who travels the country to enjoy music. When I mention pinball to any rock music fan, the topic of Kiss pinball always comes up.

Good luck with the party. I wish it was in my region.

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Wait, so are YOU holding a party to kick off the release of KISS or is STERN holding a party to kick off the release of KISS? If YOU are actually throwing this party then good for you. If STERN is throwing this party then why aren't they paying for it?

Dave

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 216 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-most-epic-pinball-release-ever-kiss-concert-62815 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.