(Topic ID: 43747)

The most depressing day of my entire life.

By skristof

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

poopy.jpg
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

So today, I pulled up craigslist expecting to see the usual pins listed day after day, when, first on the list - freshly posted:

Indiana Jones - Williams $1250 Working 100%

In hind sight I shouldn't have spent the extra 2 seconds looking at the pictures, because when I called: "I'm on the other line with someone else who is interested, I'll call you back"

I didn't get a call back, but I did call back 5 minutes later. Done. Sold.

Offered more money, and he said he would call me back. I will never hear back from that man...

I can only hope and pray that in reality he is a pinhead hating serial killer, trying to lure in frugal players like myself, and there is one very unlucky pinhead being cut into pieces in the basement of some house and hour away from me... Boy am I lucky that isn't me!

In reality, someone out there got the steal of a lifetime. If you are on Pinside, mystery buyer who called seconds before me, damn you. Damn you straight to hell... oh yeah, and congrats on the awesome find...

#2 11 years ago

Sorry to sound like an ass but quite frankly I am glad you missed out......Finally a seller that is a man of his word. You offered more money.....also known as trying to buy something out from underneath somebody.....If you wanna bid on something try Ebay...til then

#3 11 years ago

You live a charmed life if THIS is the most depressing event.

#4 11 years ago

If that qualifies as the most depressing day of your life, you have had a great life so far pal...be happy!

#5 11 years ago

If you have your health, a job and family, your doing better then most. You have 5 pins. Chill... your doing fine.

#6 11 years ago

I've missed on a bunch of deals like this. Don't worry the feeling goes away after a few days.

#7 11 years ago

I thought someone's family member died when I read the post title. That's the first thing I think of from personal experience.

"I can only hope and pray that in reality he is a pinhead hating serial killer, trying to lure in frugal players like myself, and there is one very unlucky pinhead being cut into pieces in the basement of some house and hour away from me... Boy am I lucky that isn't me!"

Sure hope you were joking on that one! Chill out man, we've all missed out on a deal or two!

#9 11 years ago

How would you like to be the guy that got the deal first,only to have someone take it out from under you! Kudos to the seller.

#10 11 years ago

that must have gotten pulled really quick. My app alerts me of every posting that pops up within a 100 mile radius and I would have remembered that one

#11 11 years ago

What freakin ahole lists a IJ for 1250????? Who in this continental US would put a craigslist add without peaking at ebay prices just to give you a ballpark price.

And yes Skristof, offering more $? I personally wouldnt do that, even on a real nice local TZ that popped up by me on CL last summer, another pinsider got it for 4200 and I was 2nd on the list, I didn't try to screw the first guy over by offering more to the seller.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

And yes Skristof, offering more $? I personally wouldnt do that

I would; Screw everyone else. I would have told them "$1275 for that IJ!."

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I would; Screw everyone else. I would have told them "$1275 for that IJ!."

Ok, you can do that, but only if you shout "I am the Law!" when you do it.

#14 11 years ago

So from the other post linked I would bet he realized the value and it will be listed again after some research

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

So from the other post linked I would bet he realized the value and it will be listed again after some research

I've got a somewhat local guy that is always spouting good deals to me. I ask him to talk and he gives me the 'ol "I gotta talk to me wife first." -->ebay check = garbage prices.
Games in horrible condition for a low price to horrible condition games in HQ prices. Uff.

Quoted from centerflank:

Ok, you can do that, but only if you shout "I am the Law!" when you do it.

I would, except then they would think I'm a JD fan, which i never knew aboot the Law thing till after I signed up

#16 11 years ago

If you think the ad you saw was legit, may I put you in touch with a Nigerian bank that my unknown uncle has an account with?

#17 11 years ago

Man, my most depressing day was visiting my best friend of 20 years a few days before he died of brain cancer.

Good on you dude!

#18 11 years ago

Wow I didnt even see that pop up today! Kudos to whomever got it. Yeah and about offering more money, kudos to the seller from me as well. I got screwed over by someone who did that to me when I was the first to call. I wont do that myself.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Man, my most depressing day was visiting my best friend of 20 years a few days before he died of brain cancer.

Yeah. Mine was by best bud of 20+ years died of a brain hemmoridge from the booze.

#20 11 years ago

this thread should be the most depressing day of your life...

how can you be proud, starting a thread and saying ''Offered more money, and he said he would call me back. I will never hear back from that man...'' that is just wrong.

good thing the seller didn't call you back, kudos to him!

#21 11 years ago

I won't even mention the most depressing day of my life on here. This thread is idiotic.

#22 11 years ago

there is a member here who lost his son to cancer 2 months ago. the c/l ad was a scam and this thread should never have happened. to the op. count your blessings and play your pins. you will feel better quickly.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

I won't even mention the most depressing day of my life on here.

Same here. That was MUCH worse compared to this.

#24 11 years ago

I hope you never have a day more depressing than this.. but I can tell you from experience, odds are, it'll be topped, many times over.

Good luck in the hunt - next time!

#25 11 years ago

Maybe the title should read most depressing pinball day of his life?

#26 11 years ago

Part of the fun is the hunt. You'll get the next one but for future reference when a pin is sold, it's sold. Offering more money is a shady move.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Chris_james0:

Part of the fun is the hunt. You'll get the next one but for future reference when a pin is sold, it's sold. Offering more money is a shady move.

+ infinity, very shady.

#28 11 years ago

Part of the fun is the hunt.

I bought a goddamn Pinball Magic from a magician that earned it on a job. House had "magiciany stuff" like fake walls and book cases. The hunt is the KEY!

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I bought a goddamn Pinball Magic from a magician that earned it on a job. House had "magiciany stuff" like fake walls and book cases. The hunt is the KEY!

Thats awesome, an older gent? does he have a website promoting himself?

#30 11 years ago

Alright, so the title was supposed to be funny, but whatever. In defense of myself: My dad almost died from an infection from his second knee replacement, my mom a breast cancer survivor, my grandmother died of cancer, my grandpa almost from colon cancer. At the end of the day, anything "real" I try to stay as positive as possible. Someone dies, I hope it ended some kind of pain. And when they are in pain, I never let them believe they can overcome it.

Do i feel like a dick for offering more money? Sure. But it was a last ditch effort. And it was a "if it falls though, I'm willing to pay a bit more" Ive sold machines before and never let it go if I already promised the machine, but I couldn't help myself. As you all said: the hunt is key, and when that machine popped up, it got my blood pumping, I went from sitting on my couch in my underwear to dressed and ready to go in .05.

At the end of the day, I was more or less just trying to share that someone out there got a great deal... note my concluding statement: "Damn you straight to hell... oh yeah, and congrats on the awesome find... "

It was meant to be playful, sorry some people are so serious, and sorry if I offended you. I've had my fair share of actually depressing days. This was just such a great deal to miss. Hope the seller actually sold it for his asking price and doesn't relist in a few days at 4k.

(I hope some people actually caught the humor in my original post... ugh)

#31 11 years ago

Humor and sarcasm are very hard to convey on a public forum, or a text message for that matter. This has gotten me in trouble a number of times. No worries, man.

I'm with you in hoping the buyer doesn't just attempt to flip and triple his money, although this is probably what will happen if the ad was legit in the first place.

#32 11 years ago

I rarely join the rat race looking for pins because I don't want to deal with the whole mess. That means I'll usually pay a few hundred bucks more for a pin but I feel it's worth it to avoid the hassle.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Good on you dude!

Same here... My good friend of twenty years died of cancer last week. I was able to see him two days before his passing. Such a terrible disease. I'd give all my pins and the hobby to have him back. Seems far more depressing than missing out on a deal.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from pinwillie:

Same here... My good friend of twenty years died of cancer last week. I was able to see him two days before his passing. Such a terrible disease. I'd give all my pins and the hobby to have him back. Seems far more depressing than missing out on a deal.

Yep, life is depressing, lets relish it all on this site via pin deals and such.......On a bittersweet note, my wife's grandma just passed on at 102! A former schoolteacher in the 1classroom style for all grades in Oak Creek, Wi. circa 1940's

#35 11 years ago

Buy some crap shoot decals and youll feel better.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2658

poopy.jpgpoopy.jpg

#36 11 years ago

You win some, you lose some.

This ad screams of scam anyway.

#37 11 years ago

Alright, I think we can give the guy a break now.

#38 11 years ago

Some of you already received Stephanie's update. These are the only emails names I have at work so please forward to the rest of your families. Frank, you have the most to send to your siblings and mom.

I believe it was Saturday evening that Heather was feeling so ill that she went to the emergency room. Perhaps this was triggered in part by the chemotherapy, but the doctors had never seen such a reaction. She already had one treatment, but when I was there a week ago Thursday she didn't have a treatment because her blood makeup wasn't good enough. Last Thursday she had her second treatment. I believe it was Sunday evening when Rosanne called me to say she was driving Jeff to the hospital. She, Jeff, and Chris, Heather's mom, stayed for the duration. Chris has been a tower of strength and of great moral, emotional, and physical support throughout this whole time.

I got a call yesterday evening from Rosanne that Heather wasn't doing well and would probably never leave the hospital, but there still remained a slim hope. At about 2:30 am Rosanne called me to say that Heather's liver was failing (she had metasticized liver cancer from the breast cancer) and that she would not live more than 24 hours. At 8:35 am Rosanne called to say that Heather died at 8:30 (11:30 Georgia time ) and would I notify everyone. I had called my kids after each call from Rosanne. Joseph (dockman) and his girl friend Cherry were already planning to fly there Friday, hopefully to see Heather one last time. Dan and I are waiting to see about the funeral arrangements and plan to fly back there. Christina is in Yosemite, but already has tickets for mid-July.

The question: is it the cancer or the chemo that caused it? It is a moot point because the treatment was Heather's only chance. It may have shortened her life a little, but my guess is only by a week. Advanced liver cancer of this type seems to act quickly.

I may not have all of the facts and opinions exactly right, but I have tried my best. Financially the family will be ok because Heather had some life insurance. This cannot take the place of her presence. I feel like I have lost a daughter. Although I may not show it, the pain and anguish are real and profound. Pray for Heather and her family.

>
Sent: Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:45:46 PM
Subject: Update

Hi Everyone,

We had a nice birthday for the kids. I've attached a pic that I took of the family. I made a scavenger hunt for the kids today where the end prize were bikes that Jeff bought. Very fun for them.

Heather had chemo on Thursday and usually feels bad Saturday and especially Sunday. They may adjust her dosage. Today was pretty bad for her. We keep trying to get her to eat stuff. She is constantly uncomfortable no matter where she's sitting. I feel terrible for her. She's such a trooper.

The kids just go about their business. I make references that their mom isn't feeling well and takes medicine that makes her tummy upset. So far they haven't had any further questions. Jeff's taking all the kids to church tomorrow except Nick and they're throwing a fit because it's sooooo boring.

Heather's going to call the doctor tomorrow or Monday so she can go in and get some fluids via IV. That usually makes her feel better so cross your fingers. It's been hard for her to sleep at night. I'm sitting up with her right now at 2:45am. She's lucky I'm a night owl.

It all really hits home when you're here watching it all. We get her anything she needs and carry everything for her. She moves from the downstairs chair to her bed upstairs and that's it. Standing is too tough right now.

The kids have been a little rambunctious, but mostly good. They fight a bit and Nick is in his distructo terrible twos. He's been talking a lot. I got him to say "I'm sorry Stephy" at least 4 times since that's how many times he's acted up and had to be put in time out. Super Nanny would be proud.

Hopefully I'll lose some weight from all the stair climbing I've been doing. I'm just glad Mom's here to share the work. Heather's mom is a saint for doing all of this all this time. Just keeping up with the daily cleaning is quite the chore.

Well, I guess that covers everything. Hopefully I can get more than 4 hours a night of sleep and hopefully my bug bites don't get infected. On the positive note, there are a lot of fireflies around. I've never seen them before so that's pretty cool.

Over and out,
Steph

© 2013 Microsoft Terms PrivacyDevelopersEnglish (United States)

#39 11 years ago

You may want to edit your title a bit, you may piss people off if you leave it. If that is your bad day your one lucky sun of a A. Was expecting something bad instead it read more like "whiniest guy on pinside loses deal on Craigslist deal". Seriously who has not missed out on a cl deal?

#40 11 years ago

Yeah, everyone here has an honor code; until they're on the phone and the seller would take their higher offer of $1300 for it. Okaaaaayyyy.... ( rolling eyes)

The thrill of the hunt and our competetive nature has us all. Hindsight makes us think we can take the higher moral ground, but during the event I'd bet almost 100% of us would stalk our prey relentlessly until caught! Just man's nature, nothing evil about it. Of course posting about just pokes at the hunters who didn't catch that prey! ( again with the eye roll).

Rick. "I'm gonna have me some fun." #190

#41 11 years ago

The ad was not a scam, it actually sold for $2900. And no I didn't buy it or even offer him more.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, mi.
269-979-3836

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from skristof:

Alright, so the title was supposed to be funny, but whatever. In defense of myself: My dad almost died from an infection from his second knee replacement, my mom a breast cancer survivor, my grandmother died of cancer, my grandpa almost from colon cancer. At the end of the day, anything "real" I try to stay as positive as possible. Someone dies, I hope it ended some kind of pain. And when they are in pain, I never let them believe they can overcome it.
Do i feel like a dick for offering more money? Sure. But it was a last ditch effort. And it was a "if it falls though, I'm willing to pay a bit more" Ive sold machines before and never let it go if I already promised the machine, but I couldn't help myself. As you all said: the hunt is key, and when that machine popped up, it got my blood pumping, I went from sitting on my couch in my underwear to dressed and ready to go in .05.
At the end of the day, I was more or less just trying to share that someone out there got a great deal... note my concluding statement: "Damn you straight to hell... oh yeah, and congrats on the awesome find... "
It was meant to be playful, sorry some people are so serious, and sorry if I offended you. I've had my fair share of actually depressing days. This was just such a great deal to miss. Hope the seller actually sold it for his asking price and doesn't relist in a few days at 4k.
(I hope some people actually caught the humor in my original post... ugh)

Being playful or trying to take a comment lightly is not allowed here on pinside. Also anything remotely close to name calling is considered a personal attack. So basically you have committed a personal attack to an anyomous person. Expect a ban warning soon for that. We here at pinside DEMAND utopia!

#43 11 years ago

This is an American tragedy if I ever read one.

#44 11 years ago

Pinside is all about exaggeration and hyperbole. It cuts all ways. So why is this a big deal? I wouldn't have created this thread or posted something like it, but to take umbrage with this is silly. There are the occasional things worthy of outrage that get posted here. This isn't one of them!

#45 11 years ago

And offering more money for something is the American way. Isn't that how it works? Brains, luck, timing and money. That's what influences a transaction if conducted fairly. All is fair. At least that seems to be the general theme on Pinside. Money talks and bullshit walks. Outside of those things, typically something illegal or unethical is happening. That's not the story here.

The OP did nothing wrong by offering more money.

#46 11 years ago

Offering more money is not shady! What would be shady here is if the seller TOOk the second offer and welched on the original deal. Why is this on the buyer? The seller or the original buyer are the only ones here that can do anything "shady" relating to their transaction.

I mean..."until the cash trades hands" right?

This is holier than thou BS.

#47 11 years ago

Double post

#49 11 years ago

Yeah, and the people on RGP have nothing better to do. LOL

Chris

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Offering more money is not shady!

It is shady, your screwing over another dude, probably another pinsider, Im not surprised you feel this way.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,419.00
12,500 (OBO)
14,000 (OBO)
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 12.95
11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-most-depressing-day-of-my-entire-life and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.