(Topic ID: 206963)

The most complicated mech/toy in pinball with the smallest effect...

By tamoore

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 160 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by kst8cat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EC8A0073-74C4-4C75-8017-29D0303EB0C1 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0081 (resized).PNG
DSCN5669 (resized).JPG
pf_cc01 (2) (resized).jpg
There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 6 years ago

In your opinion, what is the most complicated toy or mechanical feature in a pinball game which contributes the smallest effect on the ball or overall game play?

I've got a few ideas. Interested to hear yours.

#2 6 years ago

Twilight Zones Clock?

#3 6 years ago

Twilight Zone 3rd Mag. Neat little trick but not worth all the shanans

Quoted from hAbO:

Twilight Zones Clock

Ha mines been turned off for years.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Twilight Zone 3rd Mag. Neat little trick but not worth all the shanans. Ha mines been turned off for years.

Agree there also. 3rd magnet is less bang for what its worth.

I'd also say the ship in POTC doesn't do much but is a pretty complicated mech.

#5 6 years ago

Indiana Jones from Stern

The swordsman

Way to much crap to make him swing out

Could of just used a flipper assembly

#6 6 years ago

Medieval Madness castle turrets.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I dunno, its pretty important to fighting davey jones as it blocks the path and you have to time your short correctly

#8 6 years ago

The entire upper playfield on Aerosmith Premium/LE

#10 6 years ago

upper playfield in GOT prem/le.
i treat it like an orbit.

#11 6 years ago

The skull jaw mech in No Fear. It has literally ZERO gameplay interaction, it's only there for looks, and relies on a unique coil and plunger to function. =P

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The skull jaw mech in No Fear. It has literally ZERO gameplay interaction, it's only there for looks,

To be fair, it does tell you to play better.

#13 6 years ago

Popeye skill shot mech?

#14 6 years ago

Here's my first: Getaway supercharger. WTF does it do, really?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

It holds the ball. SR uses this effect a lot simpler with saucers in games like T2 & NF
But yeah no thanks.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Getaway supercharger. WTF does it do, really?

It fully interacts with the ball and is visually stunning. Not to mention the sound it makes. Much more interactive than the castle turrets on MM.

#17 6 years ago

Black Rose cannon. Damn beast.

#18 6 years ago

The ball lock mech on Jurassic Park actually works and looks kinda cool the very first time you see it work - and only the first time you see it work. Every time thereafter you're wondering when it will finish and let you finally get back to playing pinball.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

The ball lock mech on Jurassic Park actually works and looks kinda cool the very first time you see it work - and only the first time you see it work. Every time thereafter you're wondering when it will finish and let you finally get back to playing pinball.

13 year old me says BOO to that! That mech got me into pinball.

#20 6 years ago

Ace in the Hole on World Poker Tour. Such a bitch to rip apart and service for how little it does.

#21 6 years ago

ZR1 in Corvette is pretty over-engineered and stupid. Why not just a shaker motor and be done with it? There's also very little super solid repair info out there when you do have an issue.

#22 6 years ago

Here are two from Apollo 13:

The Rocket. Rotates a couple of degrees, then drops your ball into a subway.
The left orbit to the drop ramp. Only used in one mode, I think... and almost always the ball misses it because it retracts too soon.

Predictive reply from TheLaw: "Who cares. It's a SEGA. Nobody is going to play it anyway."

#23 6 years ago

Lots of switches and logic for the stupid phantom flip on MB.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

ZR1 in Corvette is pretty over-engineered and stupid. Why not just a shaker motor and be done with it? There's also very little super solid repair info out there when you do have an issue.

This was on my list.

#25 6 years ago

Im going with the planet lock as it was intended on JD
HEAR ME OUT!
They designed and engineered all of that (deadworld mod)
just to take it out at a later date so technically IT DID NOTHING
Im so glad someone went thru the effort to recreate that entire fiasco as when working properly its pretty awesome

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

Lots of switches and logic for the stupid phantom flip on MB.

It's fun to play with though!

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Agree there also. 3rd magnet is less bang for what its worth.

It's also one of the coolest mechanical toys on a modern game.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

It's used to light the jackpot and super jackpot. It also scores points in the supercharger mode.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from supermatt:

It's used to light the jackpot and super jackpot. It also scores points in the supercharger mode.

You interact with it? Or, do you just watch it shoot around there a few times, before you get your ball back?

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from supermatt:

A ramp that loops back around probably could have done the same thing. Maybe include a release gate of some sort if you want a timed release.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Predictive reply from TheLaw: "Who cares. It's a SEGA. Nobody is going to play it anyway."

No I have a long list of things Sega did completely horrible and love talking aboot them

#32 6 years ago

Bouncing topper on AFMR.

It has no effect on gameplay or the ball and must be complicated because in many cases it doesn't work at all.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

It's fun to play with though!

I got my machine two weeks ago, reset the data and still have yet to see the Phantom Flip inlane inserts light up. So mine doesn't even work.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

You interact with it? Or, do you just watch it shoot around there a few times, before you get your ball back?

Quoted from ForceFlow:

A ramp that loops back around probably could have done the same thing. Maybe include a release gate of some sort if you want a timed release.

What you say is true. I wasn't saying it was essential to the game, just saying what it did.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Yeah, I take the glass off and stick my fingers in there and see how fast they get broken. I thought you originally said "ball interaction".

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, I take the glass off and stick my fingers in there and see how fast they get broken. I thought you originally said "ball interaction".

That is true. I guess I meant player interaction, but I didn't word it very eloquently at all.....

#37 6 years ago

Haters gonna hate, but I just picked up my second Getaway after a three year absence and i'll take the supercharger over tie fighter on a spring or mouth opening groot anyday!

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Haters gonna hate,

F&*^ YOU

Quoted from o-din:

i'll take the supercharger over tie fighter on a spring or mouth opening groot anyday!

Actually they are not equivalent. Would you take tyhe supercharger over the space supercharger is more accurate.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Would you take tyhe supercharger over the space supercharger is more accurate.

At half the price and more fun, yes.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Popeye skill shot mech?

This!

I remember the first time I played this game, had the skill shot locked down on by ball 2, and by ball 3 I was like "is there any way to bypass this skill shot? For a 10 second wait, I don't even want these crap rewards."

I was going to nominate the Roulette wheel on HRC, but Popeye's skill shot mech. totally beats this.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I got my machine two weeks ago, reset the data and still have yet to see the Phantom Flip inlane inserts light up. So mine doesn't even work.

Takes 10-20 games before it "learns" the Phantom Flip algorithm.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

Takes 10-20 games before it "learns" the Phantom Flip algorithm.

I've probably played 100 games. Nothing. It is a prototype machine so maybe it doesn't work. All switches work and phantom flip is enabled. Never get the phantom flip lights to light.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

At half the price and more fun, yes.

Half the price? You got ripped off.

Oh here's one, the Mine lock on CC?

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Djshakes:

I've probably played 100 games. Nothing. It is a prototype machine so maybe it doesn't work. All switches work and phantom flip is enabled. Never get the phantom flip lights to light.

What ROM version are you running?

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Half the price? You got ripped off.

OK a third the price. And I'm sticking to my original posts that it is still a more interactive feature than that stupid exploding castle.

#46 6 years ago

What about EM Flip Flags???

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

The entire upper playfield on Aerosmith Premium/LE

Don't agree - playfield multipliers have a pretty big effect on gameplay (which you can't get without the upper pf). And a Flipper and some targets are not overly complicated as far as mechs go.

I'm voting for the Star Wars hyperloop.

#48 6 years ago

Hurricane Juggler lock. Shoots 270 degrees to lock ball.

#49 6 years ago

Ok not a complicated mech but it’s allways bothered me that thay put a scrolling ticker type screen in the middle of wheel of fortune playfield and all it reads is wheel of fortune over and over! WTF

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Hurricane Juggler lock. Shoots 270 degrees to lock ball.

This is a good one, yeah.

It shoots it so fast you can't actually see it transfer from one hand to the other. It also happens behind a painted plastic with a small-ish window, which is behind the very large Comet ramp.

Even worse is the ball sometimes bounces out of the one-way gate and has to sit while the machine does a ball search.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
€ 24.00
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 27.95
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-most-complicated-mechtoy-in-pinball-with-the-smallest-effect?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.