(Topic ID: 206963)

The most complicated mech/toy in pinball with the smallest effect...

By tamoore

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 160 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by kst8cat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EC8A0073-74C4-4C75-8017-29D0303EB0C1 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0081 (resized).PNG
DSCN5669 (resized).JPG
pf_cc01 (2) (resized).jpg
There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Earthshaker. That sinking building didn't make the final production machine. They thought it was ridiculous too.

I'd really like to see that in action.... is there a video somewhere?

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Sometimes I really don't know if you guys are being serious or trolling each other!

We're just killing time at our menial jobs.

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Sometimes I really don't know if you guys are being serious or trolling each other!

Yes.

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

It's dope. Just a classic example of a pinball company cutting corners.

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's dope. Just a classic example of a pinball company cutting corners.

B/W was doing it before Stern made it "cool"....

#106 6 years ago

I've not seen the underside. But I've heard the mech for Mario Andretti's car that goes around in circles is an engineering Marvel.

#107 6 years ago

And here's that exciting video of the sinking institute.

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

upper playfield in GOT prem/le.
i treat it like an orbit.

This was my choice too. Upper PF uses like 1/3 of playing space, with little effect. It why I bought a GOT Pro.

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And here's that exciting video of the sinking institute.
» YouTube video

Oh...

#110 6 years ago

You really need to feel the shaker going to get the whole effect.

Edit- Shaker motors, no real affect on gameplay. lol.

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You really need to feel the shaker going to get the whole effect.
Edit- Shaker motors, no real affect on gameplay. lol.

Also, not really complicated. They only check one of the two boxes on this form.

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Also, not really complicated.

But think of the software involved to break plaster off the walls at just the right time.

#113 6 years ago

Does the display on SWE1 count?
Dozens of videos and complicated computer graphics, a modified cabinet design with TV mounting and special reflective glass just to tell you to shoot the center targets the whole time.

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Does the display on SWE1 count?
Dozens of videos and complicated computer graphics, a modified cabinet design with TV mounting and special reflective glass just to tell you to shoot the center targets the whole time.

Leave it to Jpop to screw up a good thing!

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

At 4:00

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Tee'd Off has something similar too.

The whole time I was thinking of TO's "gopher" roulette wheel. Seems a lot just to spell a word for starting a mode or get a bonus.

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

I wish it would also help remind me to plunge the ball and use the flippers. I always forget that.

#118 6 years ago

Magna save in WCS. Seperate button to activate, insane timing accuracy required to grab the ball, and it must be travelling at a suitable speed and trajectory to begin with, and all you get is a single use to drop the ball onto the left flipper, which would be way easier to do with a flipper catch or something.

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Magna save in WCS. Seperate button to activate, insane timing accuracy required to grab the ball, and it must be travelling at a suitable speed and trajectory to begin with, and all you get is a single use to drop the ball onto the left flipper, which would be way easier to do with a flipper catch or something.

I think this one is okay. Yeah no one ever uses it, but they should. Great way to ensure a trap up from the lock to have a free trapped shot at final draw. Relight from inlane to spot target above the sling.

#120 6 years ago

Another one that comes to mind is the Nell Log on Rocky and Bullwinkle. For something that just moves back and forth it sure seems to break a lot...

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Another one that comes to mind is the Nell Log on Rocky and Bullwinkle. For something that just moves back and forth it sure seems to break a lot...

Oh man perfect...ALWAYS broken that one.

#122 6 years ago

I dare to throw it out there because it's one of my favorite games, but the Mist Ball mech in BSD.

Very cool effect IMO, but an absolute monstrosity of a mech to make the ball travel across the playfield for what takes about 4 seconds. For those that haven't seen it, it looks like a piece of a Terminator strapped to the bottom of the playfield.

And I have yet to come across a quiet one. I've seen quite a few that were problematic for the owners, especially when it comes to the optos and gates.

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I dare to throw it out there because it's one of my favorite games, but the Mist Ball mech in BSD.
Very cool effect IMO, but an absolute monstrosity of a mech to make the ball travel across the playfield for what takes about 4 seconds. For those that haven't seen it, it looks like a piece of a Terminator strapped to the bottom of the playfield.
And I have yet to come across a quiet one. I've seen quite a few that were problematic for the owners, especially when it comes to the optos and gates.

But the 4 seconds are amazing! Miss your first shot at knocking the mist ball off its path and time goes even faster.

It's a complicated mech but the effect is impressive.

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from superJackpot:

But the 4 seconds are amazing! Miss your first shot at knocking the mist ball off its path and time goes even faster.
It's a complicated mech but the effect is impressive.

What's even better is when you whack the mist ball into play, but then your original ball grabs the magnet and goes into the gate.

#125 6 years ago

Race track assembly in I500, I have no idea what it's purpose is. One race car spinnng counterclockwise at high speed around an axis.

IMG_0081 (resized).PNGIMG_0081 (resized).PNG

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Race track assembly in I500, I have no idea what it's purpose is. One race car spinnng counterclockwise at high speed around an axis.

Acts as a visual shaker almost

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from superJackpot:

Miss your first shot at knocking the mist ball off its path and time goes even faster.

"missed multiball"

#128 6 years ago

Eyeball mechs in Road show. Always break, no fun to work on.

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

And, funhouse also.

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I love BSD's mist ball - one of coolest pinball effects ever!

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Quoted from tamoore:

And, funhouse also.

I don't know guys... Those dead, lifeless eyes that clumsily follow the ball around the playfield are what make those games so delightfully creepy. They wouldn't be the same without them!

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I don't know guys... Those dead, lifeless eyes that clumsily follow the ball around the playfield are what make those games so delightfully creepy. They wouldn't be the same without them!

They're great when they work! They pretty much meet the criteria for this thread, though...

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I love BSD's mist ball - one of coolest pinball effects ever!

Yeah, post might have been misinterpreted. Definitely a VERY cool effect, and again, one of my fav games if not the most, so obviously wasn't bashing it. In hindsight, perhaps not exactly fitting here. Fits in with the "most complicated mech" part, but not really "the smallest effect" given that it can create multiball. I was thinking more of the timing that you get to hit it when I was thinking "small". The mech is monstrous though...pun intended.

#134 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I just think they could've easily made it even more simple. Like just using 2 small solenoids to push and pull the head from one direction to the other, but instead, they went with the whole motor route and opto solution.
I don't disagree though! It's a great feature, and I'm glad it made it into the game. It adds that delightful touch of refinement!

That wouldn't work, you would lose the spin. Plus it would look like big foots head was going to get snapped off every time it moved because of the violence of the coil movement. There might be a simpler way, but it needs a motor, not a solenoid

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

They pretty much meet the criteria for this thread, though...

Maybe... I feel like they have a pretty big effect on the games, but that's just me!

#136 6 years ago

Metallica premium has the triple whammy. You got the sinking cross, the hammer, and if it wasn't for the ball hitting his feet, you could include Sparky too. Thank goodness they didn't waste resources on items like VUKs or a real subway. I know, it does have the under playfield ball lock.

#137 6 years ago

Just thought of another one. Has anyone mentioned Captain B. Zarr's head yet? It rotates and his mouth can open and close when he talks. Not sure how complex it is, but it certainly doesn't affect gameplay at all.

#138 6 years ago

One thing for sure is that removing/ installing the Captain's head vinyl is a pita . Swear that it will rip.

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Metallica premium has the triple whammy. You got the sinking cross, the hammer, and if it wasn't for the ball hitting his feet, you could include Sparky too. Thank goodness they didn't waste resources on items like VUKs or a real subway. I know, it does have the under playfield ball lock.

I don't know Odin, the cross mech is really simple and it doesn't add much, but the hammer and sparky are both pretty freaking cool.

#140 6 years ago

Em flip flags and the ball lock on Sega JPLost World.

#141 6 years ago

Wipe Out's ball lift.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#142 6 years ago

Star Wars exploding Death star because I never see it.

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Here's my first: Getaway supercharger. WTF does it do, really?

Ah, c'mon -- one of the best toys ever. My family loved that aspect and were mad when I sold the game. Besides getting a good score, they just wanted to see the supercharger do its thing.

#144 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I don't know Odin, the cross mech is really simple and it doesn't add much, but the hammer and sparky are both pretty freaking cool.

No doubt about that! I just noticed the interaction with the ball part isn't really there.

As opposed to the Getaway supercharger with three balls in it going crazy.

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Ah, c'mon -- one of the best toys ever. My family loved that aspect and were mad when I sold the game. Besides getting a good score, they just wanted to see the supercharger do its thing.

Yep. It's neat to watch.

#146 6 years ago

It will even be neater to watch when I get that mountain in there.

#147 6 years ago

Found it, Mario Andretti's flux capacitor.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#148 6 years ago

Everything in Pythons’s Circus

EC8A0073-74C4-4C75-8017-29D0303EB0C1 (resized).jpegEC8A0073-74C4-4C75-8017-29D0303EB0C1 (resized).jpeg

#149 6 years ago

It's different, but I actually like Pinball Circus. Played quite a few games at Pinfest a few years ago when one was there.

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

It's different, but I actually like Pinball Circus. Played quite a few games at Pinfest a few years ago when one was there.

I played the in in Vegas a bunch. It’s fun and very unique. I think overly complicated is kinda what he was going for.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 9.95
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.95
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-most-complicated-mechtoy-in-pinball-with-the-smallest-effect/page/3?hl=brewinbombers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.