The most complicated mech/toy in pinball with the smallest effect...

(Topic ID: 206963)

The most complicated mech/toy in pinball with the smallest effect...

By tamoore

11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 153 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by AlexSMendes
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

EC8A0073-74C4-4C75-8017-29D0303EB0C1 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0081 (resized).PNG
DSCN5669 (resized).JPG
pf_cc01 (2) (resized).jpg

There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 11 months ago

I think the only explanation for this is "Python".

#52 11 months ago

The magic 8 ball on sharkeys shootout is probably one of the most over engineered yet boring mechs in pinball. +1's for the mb's phantom flip & potc's ship mech

#53 11 months ago

TH Smaug. Large molded toy with LEDs, moving jaw, turning head, yet it never touches the ball or really serves any purpose.

#54 11 months ago

This is not even close. by far, the JM glove is the most complex and difficult to fix mechanism that I have come across. And it’s pretty much meaningless, you can even disable it. Cool, yes, practical no.

#55 11 months ago

The rotating playfield in Gilligan's Island seems criminally underused. I still think that game would hugely benefit from some new code.

The pyramid and Glidercraft in Stargate has absolutely no affect on the game and is only used in two modes, one of which is the wizard mode. It consists of a solenoid and arm mech to lift the pyramid cover, two motors, one for rotating and one for extending the glidercraft, a pantograph linkage used to extend and retract the glidecraft, and finally two switches are used, one to detect when the glidercraft is retracted and one to detect when the glidercraft is rotated to the right.

The Balrog on LotR is only used in one multiball mode (Unless Bash Balrog is turned on, but... No one like Bash Balrog!), but in this case that's probably a good thing as it really wouldn't make much sense anywhere else.

#56 11 months ago

Some really great ones!!!

#57 11 months ago
Quoted from chad:

Hurricane Juggler lock. Shoots 270 degrees to lock ball.

That entire game is the most complicated mech/toy in pinball with the smallest effect.

#58 11 months ago

what do you guys think about ....
the runaway train: cactus canyon

pf_cc01 (2) (resized).jpg

#59 11 months ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

What about EM Flip Flags???

Flip -"Flop" is the perfect name for the game.

#60 11 months ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

what do you guys think about ....
the runaway train: cactus canyon

Kinda like Mick on a stick, but you don't get to hit it.

#61 11 months ago

Bowling alley, tbl

#62 11 months ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

Bowling alley, tbl

I think we have a winner!

#63 11 months ago

Big Foot's head on White Water comes to mind. William's designed a special bi-directional motor board, an opto board, and a crazy looking opto switch blocker plastic thing--not unlike the Twilight Zone clock, all to make bigfoot's head either look at the player, or the back of the game. That's all he does. Oh, and spin around in a circle during Big Foot Hot Foot.

Neat effect, but they could have easily made his head static, and I doubt many people would've cared.

#64 11 months ago

Batman TDK
the rotating Joker thing and the drawbridge
both complicated mechs for no real value

#65 11 months ago

NASCAR track. Incredible the first time you see it then it is a pretty big time waste and real estate hog.

#66 11 months ago

Hyper loop on Stern SW.

#67 11 months ago

I know I am always in the minority on IJ but I couldn't stand that moving upper playfield. I could never get it working right.

#68 11 months ago

Coin mechs on home use games.

#69 11 months ago

I love the effect, but since it does nothing for gameplay....the waterfall topper on WH2O. Probably the most complicated thing in pinball, since nobody has ever been able to reproduce it!

#70 11 months ago
Quoted from tamoore:

This was on my list.

Mine too

#71 11 months ago

How bout this sinking institute? What were they thinking? No wonder they shelved that idea.

DSCN5669 (resized).JPG

#72 11 months ago

The ball lock on flight 2000.

#73 11 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

This is not even close. by far, the JM glove is the most complex and difficult to fix mechanism that I have come across. And it’s pretty much meaningless, you can even disable it. Cool, yes, practical no.

Disagree! Sure is a f***ing complex mech, but if you disable it, you miss the whole game!

#74 11 months ago

Shaker (except RS one)

#75 11 months ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Takes up a lot of real estate, under utilized, but not overly complicated unless you are talking about the rules to utilize it, (which after learning aren't that bad.). Yeah, it qualifies.

#76 11 months ago

Iron Hyde ramp on tfle is pretty underwhelming.

#77 11 months ago

A couple of the things on twilight zone like the clock and the turrets on MM don’t do anything except look good.

#78 11 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

How bout this sinking institute? What were they thinking? No wonder they shelved that idea.

What game is it?

#79 11 months ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

What game is it?

Earthshaker. That sinking building didn't make the final production machine. They thought it was ridiculous too.

#80 11 months ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Earthshaker. That sinking building didn't make the final production machine. They thought it was ridiculous too.

Or didn't they...?
Thought that is was too complicated and pricy. I'm reinstalling an aftermarket mech from Mark Davidsons in mine. Think it looks neat and is doesn't take up extra time, so playing on is quickly done.

#81 11 months ago

I've heard that the mech for the Playboy Centerfold on Stern Playboy is a pain. it really doesn't do a ton. I enjoy seeing the CF, but...

#82 11 months ago

Hello. I like the cirqus Voltaire ring master and the data east death star and the twilight zone Robbie mod or 2nd playfield. All excellent features which give a real focus point for new comers imo.

#83 11 months ago
Quoted from BallyWilliams:

Hello. I like the cirqus Voltaire ring master and the data east death star and the twilight zone Robbie mod or 2nd playfield. All excellent features which give a real focus point for new comers imo.

These are the opposite of what this thread is about, IMO.

#84 11 months ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Disagree! Sure is a f***ing complex mech, but if you disable it, you miss the whole game!

I agree with you Alexsmendes you are constantly using the glove to start a mode, lock a ball, and mabey you don't want to lock a ball or start multiball so you can choose to use the glove to drop the ball in the pops.

#85 11 months ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Big Foot's head on White Water comes to mind.

Totally disagree! It's relatively simple (I think the motor driver board or something similar is used on IJ, shadow and likely others) but adds a lot to the game. So much that a friend's son swore he saw his face was moving as well. Magic happening with bigfoot!

#86 11 months ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

It's relatively simple

I just think they could've easily made it even more simple. Like just using 2 small solenoids to push and pull the head from one direction to the other, but instead, they went with the whole motor route and opto solution.

I don't disagree though! It's a great feature, and I'm glad it made it into the game. It adds that delightful touch of refinement!

#87 11 months ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Then people paid extra to add it to their own games.

#88 11 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

Then people paid extra to add it to their own games.

Some people like ridiculous and complicated.

#89 11 months ago

The roulette wheel in the PF on Millionaire. Just gets annoying after a while.

#90 11 months ago
Quoted from tamoore:

These are the opposite of what this thread is about, IMO.

I agree! I don't know much haha. Iyo what is the most complicated with the smallest effect?

#91 11 months ago
Quoted from BallyWilliams:

I agree! I don't know much haha. Iyo what is the most complicated with the smallest effect?

Well, the engine from Corvette is one. Very complicated and doesn't really do too much at all, for how complicated it is.

#92 11 months ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Couldn’t agree more. Takes up half the damn playfield haha. Does allow for some interesting drop target shots though. And thank god the entrance has a spinner on it.

#93 11 months ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Some people like ridiculous and complicated.

And last night I had three balls going mach 90 in the supercharger and they were a blur. I guess that seems kind of ridiculous too.

#94 11 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

And last night I had three balls going mach 90 in the supercharger and they were a blur. I guess that seems kind of ridiculous too.

To me or to you?

#95 11 months ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Tee'd Off has something similar too.

#96 11 months ago

Reels on whodunnit. Most machines have problems with them, terrible design and the reel results are on the DMD anyways. If you disable them, last chance behaves differently.

#97 11 months ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

And breaks frequently. Switches have to be on center.

#98 11 months ago
Quoted from tamoore:

To me or to you?

To everybody who participates.

#99 11 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was thinking the same thing. Building goes up. Building comes down. Whoop-dee-freakin-doo.

#100 11 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

To everybody who participates.

Sometimes I really don't know if you guys are being serious or trolling each other!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
9,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 28.00
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Crosby, MN
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 235.00
Boards
RS Technologies
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DBC Pinball
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside