7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by BrooklynDrug
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 months ago

I’m sure I’ll grt some flack for this but that’s a given.

I find the more I play new games (2013+) the more I appreciate and enjoy older games, specifically early 90’s. Maybe it’s the nostalgia. Maybe it’s the feel. Maybe it’s the ability to follow the rules.

There is just something special about older games the new lacks.

Now, I own a WOZ, so some may think... hey this guys a hypocrite. And this is where it’s up to interpretation. I do think there are some gems in modern games for sure! But In general, I find I prefer the old

#2 7 months ago

Lots of people like older games better, nothing wrong with that. I prefer newer games personally but i like all games, even old EM’s sometimes.

#3 7 months ago

I too have been enjoying older games, especially 2” flipper EM games much more than newer games. That’s my current buying trend.

#4 7 months ago

I’m moving away from the 90’s games.. I like the 80’s games better as well as the new stuff

#5 7 months ago

You are not alone. I prefer 70s and 80s pins. But I also like older cars, music, guitars, guns, etc...........new stuff tries hard but ain't the same. Old school rules.

#6 7 months ago

I like the 80s and 90s games better. I dont need a game with a super deep rule set,its just a game to enjoy and spend a little time on. Whenever I see a new game I do play it and enjoy it,but I always go back to the older ones.

#7 7 months ago
    Quoted from Soulrider911:

I find the more I play new games (2013+) the more I appreciate and enjoy older games, specifically early 90’s. Maybe it’s the nostalgia. Maybe it’s the feel. Maybe it’s the ability to follow the rules.
    Now, I own a WOZ, so some may think... hey this guys a hypocrite. And this is where it’s up to interpretation. I do think there are some gems in modern games for sure! But In general, I find I prefer the old

Interesting. I used to hear this said about EM's vs. what you're referring to as "older games". It's all good - to each their own. We're fortunate to have such a wide variety of choices available!

#8 7 months ago

When I first got into the hobby I thought newer was better. After learning and playing a lot, I realized my passion is early SS pins. These didn't interest me at all, at first glance but the gameplay won me over. I just seem to enjoy the games that have simple objectives that are difficult to accomplish and this is where replayability comes in. Games like Eight Ball Deluxe and Stars are relatively simple but so addictive, you just want to press start all night. A newer game with long ball times like GOT, while fun just doesn't have the same replay value to me. I'm only pressing start once or twice. This is the beauty of pinball though, so many ways to enjoy our hobby. People are into pre war pins all the way up to the latest release and it all has something unique to offer.

#9 7 months ago

It turns out you aren’t catching a lot of flak for this.

Please be more controversial in the future.

#10 7 months ago

Like Nintendo Techmo Bowl to Madden 18.....things are getting WAY too complex! lol. I miss the simplicity. I must be getting old.... now nap time....

#11 7 months ago

Pinball is pretty fun in general.

#12 7 months ago

I've found that I really like early Ballys these days myself. Your not alone.

#13 7 months ago

I like my artwork cartoony, screen printed looking so no photo realism

I like the sounds and music to be a bit corny, not real songs or clips from movies

I like the rules to be deep but not so there is so many things going on I can't figure out what is next.

#14 7 months ago

What's old is new again! Like fashion.

We lose interest in things, hence most tv shows lasting around 3 years.

For the record, I agree with you, but don't get me wrong, I'm not paying 4k for a 1980s or 90s game unless it's something special.

I'd gladly she'll out 1 - 2k for something fun.

It's nice that we can appreciate something made 40 years ago.

#15 7 months ago

The nice thing too about some of the old, is they are just going up In value

#16 7 months ago

I like having a little from each “decade” variety is great!

#17 7 months ago

All roads lead to Bally...

#18 7 months ago

I find myself seeking the games I traded to get new ones. Stern fanboy no more

#19 7 months ago

It's not about new or old for me (or my wife/family). It's not about 80s, 90s or modern Stern. It's about simplicity. Are the rules easy to understand, I mean really easy. Is the playfield too cluttered? I like a simpler playfield layout. Does the game play fast? I like faster playing pins, which rules out quite a few 90s pins, to me a lot of them play slower and I don't like that.

I am in the market for very fews pins today.

The game must be:

Super simple to understand the rules - we owned a WOZ and I ended up really hating that game after awhile, the rules are just confusing. We couldn't even figure it out with the glass off. We figured out a few things, but not a lot. Even if you figure out the rules it was just too hard for us to know what to do in the moment, too many flashing lights and stuff on the screen to pay attention to. I'm not going to read for an hour or watch several videos to figure out the code.

The game must be fast.

I have to love the theme.

It has to have a simple playfield layout that is smooth.

The only games on my radar are.

TNA
    Star Trek Premium
    Ironman
    Tron Pro
    Stargate
    Paragon (yea I know this breaks my fast playing rule, but I grew up with this pin in our home)

#20 7 months ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Paragon (yea I know this breaks my fast playing rule, but I grew up with this pin in our home)

a properly playing Paragon is likely the fastest game in your entire list!

#21 7 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

a properly playing Paragon is likely the fastest game in your entire list!

It's slow because it's a widebody. I suppose you could angle it a little steeper though.

The universe has deemed me unfit to ever own a Paragon. I have all but given up looking

#22 7 months ago

It's not about new or old for me (or my wife/family). It's not about 80s, 90s or modern Stern. It's about simplicity.

I am in the market for very fews pins today.
    The game must be:
    Super simple to understand the rules - we owned a WOZ and I ended up really hating that game after awhile, the rules are just confusing. We couldn't even figure it out with the glass off. We figured out a few things, but not a lot. Even if you figure out the rules it was just too hard for us to know what to do in the moment, too many flashing lights and stuff on the screen to pay attention to. I'm not going to read for an hour or watch several videos to figure out the code.
    The game must be fast.

As a single parent with 3 kids, game needs to be straightforward and fun. My kids decide if the game stays in the house or moves along for the next one. If they can't figure most of the basics out in the home environment in few games, how is Jon doe going to figure it out on location? late 80's games (system 11's) always go over well.....

#23 7 months ago

I've always liked both. However I prefer the early solid state games. Simple rules yet fun to play. I do still like new games though. However I just can't keep up with a booklet of rules, modes and wizards. At the league I play in they change out a few games every season. Half of them I have I have no clue what the rules and modes are so just spend my time shooting at blinking lights. Don't need no stinking deep rule set to make a game fun.

#24 7 months ago

It's slow because it's a widebody. I suppose you could angle it a little steeper though.
    The universe has deemed me unfit to ever own a Paragon. I have all but given up looking

Just bust out the wallet, buy a solid fixer upper and bring it back to life (or send it out to a pro).

A clear coated Paragon is AMAZABALLS!

#25 7 months ago

I love the older pins; in fact, I think the 80's were the best decade pinball has ever seen rather it's the game play or the art.

#26 7 months ago

I sold my Dialed in and hobbit and have decided to go get some 90s pins. Going back to play some of the great pins I missed from my teens

#27 7 months ago

What’s on the list coz please share curious

#28 7 months ago

I like the 90s DMD ones the most. The golden era of pins IMO. Its all preference in the end. But I also think the SNES was the best console of all time

#29 7 months ago

If it’s pinball, I like it. I don’t care how new or old it is. However, that doesn’t mean I like every game. It has to be fun (for me).

I will admit though, the 90s are starting to wear a bit thin for me. Great games, but I’ve played them too much. Soon BSD will be the last one for me. But that’s ok. Time moves on.

My current two favorite games are Mustang Pro and Solar City. That even sounds crazy to me.

#30 7 months ago
    Quoted from Spinape:

I like the 90s DMD ones the most. The golden era of pins IMO. Its all preference in the end. But I also think the SNES was the best console of all time

Super Nintendo is the best console of all time. Endless classics. The golden era of simple, fun gaming. I hate Fortnite.

#31 7 months ago

I feel the opposite - great games in all ages however the code newer games makes for games I prefer and that last longer in a home collection for me.

I think we are in a fantastic age for pinball machines, but there are games of all ages that are great, its just Ive owned all the older games I'm interested in for long periods of time and have moved on.

#32 7 months ago

What’s on the list coz please share curious

AFMr, WH2O, Jurassic Park, last action hero and some cash

#33 7 months ago

Awesome list I just got a WH20, that I’m about to start the restore on

#34 7 months ago

There are a few new pins that I’m into and many more I’d love to play (we get all the new Sterns round here but not much else on location; not complaining just how it is). I generally prefer the early 80s-early 90s SS games to anything else. Not really a nostalgia thing for me, I grew up in arcades in the DMD era but wasn’t really into pinball until long after arcades died. I feel like I prefer the addicting gameplay, simpler rules, shorter ball times, etc. There are hits and misses from every era, of course. If I’m considering buying a table for long term then theme / art / sound is also important and I prefer the games from that time over the majority of modern stuff.

#35 7 months ago

Amen man!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 229.99
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 135.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside