(Topic ID: 244894)

The Miracle in Milan - IFPA World Championships!

By Rondogg

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RipleYYY
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

62147434_2220980527951194_7605433826109554688_n (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #66 Finals link for YouTube Posted by DerRoland (4 years ago)

Post #73 Better youtube link. Posted by Rondogg (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

If you haven't seen it yet, check it out. Cayle, Raymond Davidson and Escher said it was the best Final Game they ever saw. Absolutely insane.

Tune into 6:18:23 of the following link:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/436578432##

#2 4 years ago

Insane! I cant stand it!

#3 4 years ago

Yep amazing final game and round.

People who think watching competitive pinball is boring obviously aren’t watching it.

Nice to see Cayle get on the Profane Train in the commentary booth!!

#4 4 years ago

Is that 7+ hours or watching people play pinball?!?

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Is that 7+ hours or watching people play pinball?!?

Just watch the last hour.

Or don't and just say it sucks, whatever works for you.

#6 4 years ago

Mad skills!

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Just watch the last hour.
    Or don't and just say it sucks, whatever works for you.

Can you give me a short summary instead

#8 4 years ago

Classic game errors at the worst time!

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Can you give me a short summary instead

He won!

#11 4 years ago

no spoilers, easy enough to find out at ifpa

#12 4 years ago

Wow! Thanks for sharing

#13 4 years ago

There were over 1,000 people watching these final matches live.

THat's almost as many people as are listening to podcasts where they say tournament pinball sucks, which people then regurgitate here.

Total views for these streams will in the thousands by the time the week is over.

You don't have to watch 7 straight hours, just like you don't need to watch 13 straight hours of Super Bowl coverage in on the first Sunday in Feb.

THe streams and the product on display keeps getting better. So many of these big tournaments end with exciting finals matches lately, as the level of play around the world continues to elevate.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There were over 1,000 people watching these final matches live.
    THat's almost as many people as are listening to podcasts where they say tournament pinball sucks, which people then regurgitate here.
    Total views for these streams will in the thousands by the time the week is over.
    You don't have to watch 7 straight hours, just like you don't need to watch 13 straight hours of Super Bowl coverage in on the first Sunday in Feb.
    THe streams and the product on display keeps getting better. So many of these big tournaments end with exciting finals matches lately, as the level of play around the world continues to elevate.

So is that a no on the summary?

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Summary of all 7 hours?!

You’d have to be insane to watch that much pinball.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Summary of all 7 hours?!

No summary of who won and the details about the win that made it so “amazing”.

And if I had to watch 10 minutes which 10 minutes would it be?

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

No summary of who won and the details about the win that made it so “amazing”.
    And if I had to watch 10 minutes which 10 minutes would it be?

It was so amazing it can’t be put into words. It would be like trying to explain watching a whale give birth, or a total solar eclipse.

Watch the last 45 minutes you’ll get the picture.

Or don’t, what do I care?

These people will watch scrubs play any new stern for 4 hours so they can whine about lack of toys, and they have no interest in watching the best in the world play 45 minutes of mind-blowing top level pinball. Hey it’s not for anybody.

#18 4 years ago

Spoiler:

you have to sit through an amazing first ball, followed by twenty minutes of discussion on a possible glitch and discussion about what to do about it. When given the go ahead to play on, some bad bounces, followed up by another amazing ball. All this on BSD, which was playing pretty nice for a tournament game (half ramps weren’t instant death).

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from newovad:

Spoiler:
    followed by twenty minutes of discussion on a possible glitch and discussion about what to do about it.

That does sound amazing.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

That does sound amazing.

One guy needed a ton of points on ball 3 of BSD.

#21 4 years ago

Yesterday I was wondering, cause there is no -one- comment about the IFPA16 on pinside.

I view the whole 9 hour stream via twitch in our living room on a 65" tv (thank you so much, Jim&Dina!).

Maybe I´m biased, cause I´m locally 120 miles away from the winners home.

That final was the best, exciting and nerve breaking pinball tournament, ever (hear the comments from the us players)!

Better can sport not be, "may the better one win" and for the first time, proud I am, this person come from germany, too .

#22 4 years ago

Absolutely superb final game... video highly recommended !

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

2 dudes that are both skilled at pinball had a tight match with some drama and some glitches and some improbable ties.

1 dude won.

Frankly, as much fun as pinball is to play... watching it has to be one of the most boring things ever as far as sports goes.

#24 4 years ago

That last match was epic. It was awesome to watch, especially that third ball WOW

#25 4 years ago

And how rare was the tie score on Rocket 3? One in 10,000?

Just a really incredible tournament overall.

#26 4 years ago

What an amazing final!! It only takes one ball...

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Frankly, as much fun as pinball is to play... watching it has to be one of the most boring things ever as far as sports goes.

A rare occasion when I agree with whysnow....
    I just cant sit there and watch for more that 30 seconds...

#28 4 years ago

that final was insane, what a good ball three for johannes.

#29 4 years ago

Congrats to the Champion!
    As to those that have nothing better to do than come to a discussion about something they can’t stand, and piss all over...
    Thank you, we all get your stance.

Also, you didn’t have to watch 4 full days of Masters play to enjoy Tigers return either, you don’t have to watch all 7 hours to enjoy this.
    Side note, it is very hard in a tournament situation to get back in the Zone after a long delay, just like any other sport/competition. Makes things even more impressive.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

As to those that have nothing better to do than come to a discussion about something they can’t stand, and piss all over...
    Also, you didn’t have to watch 4 full days of Masters play to enjoy Tigers return either, you don’t have to watch all 7 hours to enjoy this.
    Side note, it is very hard in a tournament situation to get back in the Zone after a long delay, just like any other sport/competition. Makes things even more impressive.

Seriously, ball 3 down 3 billion on a game where the average score all weekend was 100 million. And you basically just had two house balls and 2 million points. Yeah, I'm just happy for 2nd place at that point...

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Most of them are just parroting what they hear in podcasts.

Except whysnow I'd assume. For a guy who wrote approx. 10 bibles worth of posts on the $1 IFPA fee he has a surprising lack of interest in competitive pinball.

Can anybody here stand 2:30 of watching pinball?! Here's a short highlight vid of NYCPC 2019 just released by Backhand Pinball:

#32 4 years ago

I'd still be pretty pissed if I were Daniele, he was crushing it on ball one when the flippers died; let alone what his carry-over bats would have been for his remaining balls, which would have been close to 1.2 billion right there if I recall correctly.

Needless to say, it was exciting to watch.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

I'd still be pretty pissed if I were Daniele, he was crushing it on ball one when the flippers died; let alone what his carry-over bats would have been for his remaining balls, which would have been close to 1.2 billion right there if I recall correctly.

You can't get "pissed" at something that isn't human; isn't that the point of Moby Dick? "That's pinball."

It was a tough situation, but then he comes out of the gate with ANOTHER 500 million or so on his "compensation ball." The kid simply wasn't going to be stopped. He stops playing at around 3 billion but who knows how many more points he would have put up?

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You can't get "pissed" at something that isn't human...

#35 4 years ago

Yeah I know.

I once threw an Alien Poker drop target unit against the wall.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You can't get "pissed" at something that isn't human; isn't that the point of Moby Dick? "That's pinball."
    It was a tough situation, but then he comes out of the gate with ANOTHER 500 million or so on his "compensation ball." The kid simply wasn't going to be stopped. He stops playing at around 3 billion but who knows how many more points he would have put up?

No doubt on both fronts, he was an animal right out of the gate with the first game of FT against JB. That said, Daniele was on a roll himself, and whose to say how much more he would have stacked on his first ball...

That said, I've never seen such methodic, patient play for that long, and I've watched thousands of hours. It was unreal watching that.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Except whysnow I'd assume. For a guy who wrote approx. 10 bibles worth of posts on the $1 IFPA fee he has a surprising lack of interest in competitive pinball.

I have a lack of interest in WATCHING

I honestly have zero idea how anyone can find the time to watch others play pinball online. Do you really plop down and watch competitive pinball for hours on end?
    All good if that is what you like, but I would say the vast majority in pinball would rather just go play a game themselves rather than watch a competition live.

I watch lots of streamed esports/pinball/etc... but little of it is live action watching. It is done in a few minutes with all the action compressed and at 2x or more speed.

Pinball is seriously super boring to watch live unless it is a back ground thing while you are busy and then just tune in when something cools happens.

The storyline of this one had all the excitement of a written WWE plot, but still not all that entertaining on the grand scale.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

2 dudes that are both skilled at pinball had a tight match with some drama and some glitches and some improbable ties.
    1 dude won.

Says someone who has posted 31K+ times

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I honestly have zero idea how anyone can find the time to watch others play pinball online. Do you really plop down and watch competitive pinball for hours on end?

Yes, I do.

I'd rather watch high level competitive pinball than baseball on television any day. I also enjoy watching billiards, darts, and golf on television, so there's that. I guess I enjoy watching things I participate in myself these days, so if there was a show on about drinking bourbon, I'd probably watch that too, haha.

Shockingly, in real life, I'm in decent athletic shape, and lift weights and even run from time to time, but that's more so I can kill it with my own yard work and firewood needs, and not be sore for days when helping friends bale hay on their farms. Also, the wife enjoys not having a husband who gets winded while playing with our kids, and for other activities related to making more kids, haha.

I also enjoy watching it on long flights or drives when the wife is driving.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Watching competitive pinball is awesome. Like any broadcast you need quality color commentators to maximize the experience. I think when streaming pinball first started out the color commentating teams were simply not very good (lack of experiences, not the right personality types, no technology to help them, etc), but the Papa streams now pretty great. They now have experience, some new people, and some graphic design technology to help them do a better job and the product is improved.

Different strokes for different folks, of course.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

I went ahead and did all the math. There is also the advantage that Daniele gained getting to his triple stack from his first Mist MB on game 2 (at 5 shots instead of 15). Johannes only had one chance to triple stack at the Mist MB 5 shot level. Daniele also got to play his first Rats and Bats again on the new game.

Daniele Acciari:
    Ball 1 from original game = 2,161,897,220 (this included his Bats and Rats bonus)
    Bats Bonus from Ball 2 that was lost = 162,209,380 (this assumes Daniele does not tilt or tilt warning while draining to lose this bonus)
    Rats Bonus from Ball 2 that was lost = 158,250,000 (this assumes Daniele does not tilt or tilt warning while draining to lose this bonus)
    Bats Bonus from Ball 3 that was lost = 162,209,380 (this assumes Daniele does not tilt or tilt warning while draining to lose this bonus)
    Rats Bonus from Ball 3 that was lost = 158,250,000 (this assumes Daniele does not tilt or tilt warning while draining to lose this bonus)
    Score from full game 2 = 836,379,750
    TOTAL SCORE with the disadvantage of lost Bats/Rats from game 1, plus the advantage of Mist/Bats/Rats from game 2 = 3,639,195,730

Johannes Ostermeier:
    TOTAL SCORE = 3,474,742,020 (this included Johannes conceding his game after hitting that final Castle Jackpot)

Weighing the advantages Daniele gained from the second game minus the disadvantages Daniele lost from the first game against Johannes conceding his game while in a position to continue hammering out 300mil Castle Jackpots and 30mil shots everywhere . . . I'm completely confident in saying that the better player won that particular game.

One for the ages! When three previous World Pinball Champions look like this . . . you know you just watched something very very special
    62147434_2220980527951194_7605433826109554688_n (resized).jpg62147434_2220980527951194_7605433826109554688_n (resized).jpg

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

All good if that is what you like, but I would say the vast majority in pinball would rather just go play a game themselves rather than watch a competition live.
    I watch lots of streamed esports/pinball/etc... but little of it is live action watching. It is done in a few minutes with all the action compressed and at 2x or more speed.
    Pinball is seriously super boring to watch live unless it is a back ground thing while you are busy and then just tune in when something cools happens.
    The storyline of this one had all the excitement of a written WWE plot, but still not all that entertaining on the grand scale.

I have the same feeling about people watching the Cubs.

#43 4 years ago

That was truly amazing round of BSD. Glad to see someone posting about Pinball Tournaments and not bitching about games.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Summary of all 7 hours?!

Guess I'm insane.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from ifpapinball:

One for the ages! When three previous World Pinball Champions look like this . . . you know you just watched something very very special
    [quoted image]

Holy "from your lips to god's ears" haha.

The right call was definitely made, especially considering I had the rats/bats doubled, and forgot about the shot advantage Daniele had with the mist start for the triple stack. Twice.

That was absolutely the most insane game of BSD I have ever seen. Sadly, the price probably just shot up $500 because of that match. Or did it just decrease because it's such a bad tournament game ? Either way, I couldn't believe what I had just watched.

That said, great job guys; I truly appreciate everything you guys do! Thanks!

#47 4 years ago

Any kind of competition with high quality play and high stakes (like a 'World Champion' title) can be great to watch, if it's presented well. Basketball, Baseball, Football, Soccer, Golf, Pinball - whatever; And this competition was a thrilling ride for anybody that enjoys that sort of thing.

Why people who don't like something a topic is based on insist on posting, I'll never understand. Nobody asked you; man. I'm not going to drive to every pho shop in town, walk in and let them know I don't like pho. I just don't go there.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nice to see Cayle get on the Profane Train in the commentary booth!!

Good thing you weren't there, might have had a literal heart attack from so many booms and died on the spot. If that wouldn't get pinball on sportscenter, nothing would.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Why people who don't like something a topic is based on insist on posting, I'll never understand. Nobody asked you; man. I'm not going to drive to every pho shop in town, walk in and let them know I don't like pho. I just don't go there.

"Hey Taco Bell, your chalupa sucks man!"

#50 4 years ago

I found out about the live broadcast just after the tie, so decided to tune in and am really glad that I did. The final game on BSD was absolutely fantastic!

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-miracle-in-milan-ifpa-world-championships and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.