Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Methos
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mnpin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

The main pins potentially affected are the pins overpriced now anyway. $10-15k for some of these pins? That's messed up. NO pin is worth that kind of money. The market was BEGGING for this correction. It's healthy. When something gets that out of whack, the market is ripe for someone to step in and cash in on it.

Today is a GREAT day for pinball enthusiasts as pinball got a little more affordable today! . The more affordable pinball is, the more people will be involved in it. The more people are involved in pinball, the longer it will live on!

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

You act like the correction has already taken place. It hasn't.
    How did "pinball get a little mroe affordable today"? At $8k?
    Owning MM became a little more affordable today. Not pinball in general. At least not yet.

$8k < $10-15k

....and a correction has already taken place today. Other titles will probably follow. The only way other titles won't follow is if they now self correct below a $6-7k price point.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

That's your opinion. But it's like saying a Honus Wagner baseball card is way overpriced. It's good for a hobby to have wildly varying prices for rare pieces in high demand.
    Besides, do you seriously think there would be a remake of MM going on right now if they weren't valued at 12k+!?!?
    Only time will tell if this was a good day or the day of wreckening for the rebound of pinball.

Nobody wants a new Honus Wagner card when you can make one at home on a printer. Vastly different hobbies. However, they're making new MM's! ...and that will drive prices done on the originals. Zero doubt.

...and of course I understand the reason behind them making new MM's... The market price on an old one was extremely bloated. The profit potential was there and the market begged for a correction.

...and why wouldn't this be good for pinball? I can't think of a single negative to pinball. Can you?

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

It's interesting that the perception here is that the market "has corrected". So ok, I'll take an $8k Mm. Where can I go pick that up? That's right, I can't. When I can then Id expect used ones to be less. But this is just a preorder. And people have half a year to come up with the balance. If it were $8k, pay today, chances are people wouldn't have had the money to buy them up so fast.
    As for dumping lesser titles left and right, its not like this is the first nice selling ~$8k game. That seems to be the norm for LE nib prices. People aren't dumping games left and right to get those either. Those that pick this up can probably afford it without selling all their possessions.

Yeah, but you WILL be able to buy one for $8k... And probably a heck of a lot less! If a new one is worth $8k, what's a 15 year old one worth? $5k in great shape???

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

The real negative is if it significantly harms those who are working to innovate. So if Stern and JJP and especially the boutique guys lose sales for 15 year-old rehashes it hurts pinball. There becomes less incentive for them to do what they've been doing. If they're not affected then by all means WPC replicas ad infinitum

If rehashed machines have the same quality as the originals, Stern would be pushed to up their quality... Which would be a great thing for consumers. IMO, it's pretty sad that a 20+ Year old Williams machine feels vastly better than a Stern produced today.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

A lot of people getting into this hobby liked the idea of collecting games that were limited pieces of artwork. Period. Even if they were never intended to be collectibles and were just entertainment machines. Baseball cards is a great analogy IMO. They were not originally created to be collectibles at all!! They were simply placed in cigar boxes as gimmicks. People enjoyed seeing and reading about some of their favorite players. Now, if someone came along later and said ... "Hey, this is turning into a big deal and I guess people must just love seeing and reading about baseball players, I guess I'll go back and reprint all of the old cards that are rising in value because people must really want those." Welllll ... baseball cards might not have survived and wouldn't be much of a "hobby" today.

A baseball card is a poor analogy IMO. The entire value is in it being an original and nobody wants to collect a scanned photocopy. A MM? I want to PLAY the dang thing. So do a lot of people... And many won't care if it's old or new... Just that they can get one now for a reasonable price. Gotta love the free market!!

#31 10 years ago

Pins will always be collectible.... at least in our lifetimes. A new MM just means a healthy correction to a vastly overpriced machine. Other sacred cows will probably follow... More reasonably priced machines probably don't have much to worry about.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I don't understand your logic at all. They just barely became collectible at all starting a decade ago. Suddenly they'll "always be collectible" even now that we know old titles can and will be remade at any time? I'm not sure how that is logical.

Pinball didn't just start becoming collectible a decade ago. I bought a Genie pinball machine a family had in their basement for 33 years. ...and remaking old titles doesn't make them collectible or not collectible. It just changes the PRICE of collecting them. Which is AWESOME.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

History tends to repeat itself. BBB comes to mind here.
    Steve

Yeah, but didn't they make the new BBB from old stock? If so, that's a totally different situation where it was STILL a limited production run.

With these re-issues... they'll make as many as they can sell. Which ROCKS!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mnpin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-market-was-begging-for-this-healthy-correction?tu=mnpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.