Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Methos
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 10 years ago

History tends to repeat itself. BBB comes to mind here.

Steve

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

The real negative is if it significantly harms those who are working to innovate. So if Stern and JJP and especially the boutique guys lose sales for 15 year-old rehashes it hurts pinball. There becomes less incentive for them to do what they've been doing. If they're not affected then by all means WPC replicas ad infinitum

If Stern would complete code rich games like the old days they'd be fine

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

History tends to repeat itself. BBB comes to mind here.
    Steve

Yeah, but didn't they make the new BBB from old stock? If so, that's a totally different situation where it was STILL a limited production run.

With these re-issues... they'll make as many as they can sell. Which ROCKS!

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

True but here is the thing. MM has been a ceiling with 15k being that hard to reach number. Lower it to 8 and you stop being eager to pay that much for anything else.

Maybe back in 2001 $15K was insane, but not now.

If you are buying a $8K pinball machine, you sure as hell not living in Section 8 on government assistance.

#55 10 years ago

I think they were limited to building a certain number of BBBs only because of one of the boards that was no longer available. I can't remember how many of them they had to work with. Lots of the other parts on it had to be remade though. Can you imagine the nightmare that project was for Gene Cunningham?

#56 10 years ago

I doubt that NOS parts effected a price change given the new BBB's sold for around $7-8K after the reserved games sold. This is close to what the new MM's are going to sell for. Every once in a while, you see a later run BBB go up for sale, I haven't been watching the prices much, anyone know what they're selling for now? I'm thinking that the new run of MM's will go up in price once they sell out the run but not as dramatically as the originals have done in the past and the originals will drop a bit but stabilize once the fear subsides.

Same goes for any other runs *if* they can pull them off. The problem I see for other runs is that the original has to command a price higher than $8000 in order for there to be a chance to sell any. In todays economy selling a new game, if you have to cut the price to sell, you also have to cut the build quality. I don't think most collectors will go for that but maybe a route op would.

Steve

Quoted from mnpin:

Yeah, but didn't they make the new BBB from old stock? If so, that's a totally different situation where it was STILL a limited production run.
    With these re-issues... they'll make as many as they can sell. Which ROCKS!

#57 10 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

History tends to repeat itself.

In one case I'm hoping you're wrong. This kind of reminds me of the mid 90s when there were new companies popping up, and pinball was in a boom. We all know how that turned out.

#58 10 years ago

This is AWSOME!

#59 10 years ago

Stern games are shit compared to W/B and always will be because Gary doesn't care about making a great product. He cares about selling you a pinball machine and as long as people are lining up to buy his stuff he will never make them better.

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from misfitdart:

You keep mentioning flippers like they are the antichrist that destroyed your precious hobby but you fail to recognize is that it is the people who bought at the higher prices that drove the values up not the people selling.

That's like saying Price Gougers after a disaster are just 'helping people out'

The pure profit motivation pulls the prices people are willing to sell for UP.. it artificially drives prices up when the supply alone can't flood those sellers out.

This hobby used to be dominated by people willing to sell at a price that made them whole so they could just enjoy their next game/interest. Flippers disrupt that harmony of 'give and take' and suck more out of people than they would have paid previously.

#61 10 years ago

How can they justify the $8k price tag on a game that has already been designed/coded and likely had a bunch of parts purchased on the cheap back in the day? It's awesome they're making more MM's, but seriously, what does it cost them to simply build with new boards? $3.5k? $4k max? Selling for $8k...

#62 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

How can they justify the $8k price tag on a game that has already been designed/coded and likely had a bunch of parts purchased on the cheap back in the day? $8k

It's justified by the fact that they can sell them easily for that price. I don't know of any business that doesn't try to make as much money as it can. Lol

#63 10 years ago

Sell 1000 for $8k, or sell 1500/2000/2500 for $6k?

#64 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

Or say you only made about 500 and they're for sale at $8K and sell 3000.

#65 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

I doubt they'll ever reveal what their production cost for this game was, so you can second guess their decision to sell less games for more profit all you want. I wouldn't rule out them running more non le at a reduced price.

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

If this hurts anything, I think it will be stern le and JJP sales. I think its more likely people will pass on buying one of these in the next 6 months in order to buy a new MM rather than selling off their current collection in groves. Im sure a few people will sell a game or two to make room or free cash, but that's ready happening each time a new stern game comes out. So the market is already use to that. Plus this gives 6 months to patiently sell a game. A few hundred extra games for sale world wide over the next 6 months won't cause significant price drops.

Interesting take on it.

I agree that MMR sales will hurt Stern LE pin sales, and all JJP sales. I'd think overall this will hurt JJP more than Stern, because all of JJP's pins are $8k, while Stern can still sell their pro models at $4500.00.

But the more interesting question is whether this really will have an impact on prices across the board. Like you say, there is already the situation of people selling pins to buy the next new one, and that's no different with MMR. But the difference might be that you have more people paying $8k for a pin for the first time, when they may have never paid more than $5k or so before, meaning they will need to sell more pins than usual to fund the purchase of MMR.

Who the hell knows?

#67 10 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I wouldn't rule out them running more non le at a reduced price.

That I didn't know, but some others have commented on a regular model also being available; I originally thought they were only doing the run of 1000 total. But are they also making standard games without the gold trim/plaques/etc?

#68 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

That I didn't know, but some others have commented on a regular model also being available; I originally thought they were only doing the run of 1000 total. But are they also making standard games without the gold trim/plaques/etc?

Yes, they just announced a standard for the same $7995 price.

#69 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

But are they also making standard games without the gold trim/plaques/etc?

Yes, but for the same price.

#70 10 years ago

Fleecing confirmed

#71 10 years ago

Lot if people got into pinball for the Money
    Not for love of pinball

Lower prices you will see more people will drop
    Out of this" hobby" and along the profits

Remaking titles us a bad idear ,
    The market needs something to thrive on
    Just make new good titles !! At a acceptable price level

#72 10 years ago
    Quoted from rvdv:

Lot if people got into pinball for the Money
    Not for love of pinball
    Lower prices you will see more people will drop
    Out of this" hobby" and along the profits,

GOOD.

see ya!

#73 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

You act like the correction has already taken place. It hasn't.
    How did "pinball get a little more affordable today"? At $8k?
    Owning MM became a little more affordable today. Not pinball in general. At least not yet.

Respectfully disagree. IMO, right now, most used prices will come down, as people now weigh whether to put their money towards "X" used game they were considering or the new MM. Maybe games like AFM and MB get a little bump....but if this MM things takes off, you don't think the other A listers are next!? Who in their right mind is going to plunk down $6k for a routed pos AFM now? What will not be truly felt for weeks or months started yesterday in Chicago.

The potential availability of NIB games with proven rules and charm also FORCES Stern to put forth their BEST effort. We know they can do it. No more mailing in incomplete and BS rules sets. No more lazy designs. No more crappy art packages. The world is watching! Come correct or don't bother!!

And if new designs improve, that presses the used market down even more. Oh happy day! The hobby just took a huge step forward. The collector and flipper market? Not so much.

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

Quoted from Nibbles:

How can they justify the $8k price tag on a game that has already been designed/coded and likely had a bunch of parts purchased on the cheap back in the day? It's awesome they're making more MM's, but seriously, what does it cost them to simply build with new boards? $3.5k? $4k max? Selling for $8k...

Well....they must have priced it right to sell over 1000 games in 6 hours! The "standard" version will not have the shaker, extra coat of clear on the playfield, gold trim or numbered plaque. It looks like they did'nt plant on a second run of games so soon, but being that they oversold in all the commotion it looks like they will just be doing continuous runs. On another thread PPS posted that the non LE games will be run later in 2014.

There will be many games coming up for sale in the near future to fund all the new games so many of us are buying. Stand by for the spring clearance sales.

#75 10 years ago
    Quoted from Zinzangzoom:

I'm not a flipper, I have 4 pinballs and was eager to collect more since the mm news came out I'm not so eager to purchase anymore. I will always enjoy playing pinball but the thrill and motivation of collecting just went down. the one thing about collecting is hoping that your collection just may go up not just be remade I might as well collect nintendo games because who ever collects those just likes to play and anygame can get remade and they don't weigh 300 lbs. I understand how people can be happy or disappointed in this but for me it is news that is going to bring me more away from pinball I hope I'm wrong but that is what my gut feeling is saying

You're either in or you're out. Whatever.

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Yes, they just announced a standard for the same $7995 price.

Just goes to show that good intentioned smart people on a Friday can be clueless greedy pigs on Sat. Big mistake. I'm totally out on a standard at $8k. No tears necessary people. I'll be fine! Probably playing Hobbitt

#77 10 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I doubt they'll ever reveal what their production cost for this game was, so you can second guess their decision to sell less games for more profit all you want. I wouldn't rule out them running more non le at a reduced price.

Another pin company showed be that the BOM of a recent game was $1800.

Of course, you have interest, labor, overhead......

#78 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Interesting take on it.
    I agree that MMR sales will hurt Stern LE pin sales, and all JJP sales. I'd think overall this will hurt JJP more than Stern, because all of JJP's pins are $8k, while Stern can still sell their pro models at $4500.00.
    But the more interesting question is whether this really will have an impact on prices across the board. Like you say, there is already the situation of people selling pins to buy the next new one, and that's no different with MMR. But the difference might be that you have more people paying $8k for a pin for the first time, when they may have never paid more than $5k or so before, meaning they will need to sell more pins than usual to fund the purchase of MMR.
    Who the hell knows?

Since JJP is a distributor of the MMRs, not sure how much "hurt" this will cause his company. He's getting a piece of the pie and he looks pretty happy here at Expo....

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-market-was-begging-for-this-healthy-correction/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.