Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by LeChuck
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I know this is a difficult question because there are so many variables (location, supply, game condition), but trying to gauge generally the market demand for Jacks Open.

At one time it seemed like one of the more highly sought 70s wedgeheads because of the great game logic and card theme.

Curious what the sentiment is on it currently. I own a Lucky Hand (the AAB twin) and love it. I have a chance to acquire a nice Jacks Open and am thinking about doing a full shop job and offering it for sale. Just looking for general sentiment on that game — I guess that it’s a good investment.

#2 4 years ago

I like playing it... the market for a decent Gottlieb WH is $1000 to $1500 in Az, I bought a clean Central Park for $1000 and it is a more sought after animated back glass title. I would pay $800 for a working machine with a decent back glass, no lost wood, and complete plastics set. If it need shopped and gussied up a lot, then $650 to $750, if it isn’t working, no more than $500. Totally shopped with minimum cabinet wear, and fully restored I would go up to $1500. So that’s one data point from a buyers perspective.

#3 4 years ago

Following.

I bought a non-working, but decent JO a couple years ago for $500. Thought it was an incredible deal, so I put a fair amount of money into it with a new backglass, plastics, and drops. Game looks and plays great, but now I think I’m underwater on it—not that it really matters.

#4 4 years ago

You may have to throw some numbers out. A “restore” job almost always is not a good investment. The replacement part cost (especially backglass) and restoration time can get Very high.

Jacks Open is really fun - I’ve never played a real one, only video game versionsz. Despite its unique features it doesn’t strike me as a game that is SO rare and SO collectible thst it would be worth spending thousands on. If it’s in reasonably good condition, not terribly expensive - and you don’t have to repaint the cabinet, repair playfield or restore the backglass, then I’d say go for it.

Otherwise, leave it as is and play the heck out of it (or flip it I guess)

#5 4 years ago

Not to distract the thread (great input so far), but I didn’t think there was a repro glass for this one. Other than sending to BG Resto.

#6 4 years ago

I have a nice Jacks Open and love it. But if you’re buying a machine based off of how much you can sell it for I would say don’t buy it.

Pinball is a great hobby and when people try to turn it into a business and ask “Pinrescue” prices for machines it takes away from what makes pinball great. Not saying that’s what you’re doing. Sure I’ve had multiples of games and made one great original and sold the others and flipped a game I found on a local Craig’s list to finance buying something I wanted at a show. I respect your skills and want to restore a machine, but just do it because you enjoy it, not because of the profit you’ll potentially make from a hobby.

The machines were meant to be played and you bringing a game back to life is what the hobby is about

#7 4 years ago

Yeah it’s not a business to be sure, but a fun hobby where I enjoy fixing up games and selling them so others can enjoy. And since I essentially own this title (Lucky Hand) already, I’d love to fix this one up and sell so someone else can enjoy it (as I’ve done many times). Just gauging the desirability of the title is all.

Quoted from Phillips88:

I have a nice Jacks Open and love it. But if you’re buying a machine based off of how much you can sell it for I would say don’t buy it.
Pinball is a great hobby and when people try to turn it into a business and ask “Pinrescue” prices for machines it takes away from what makes pinball great. Not saying that’s what you’re doing. Sure I’ve had multiples of games and made one great original and sold the others and flipped a game I found on a local Craig’s list to finance buying something I wanted at a show. I respect your skills and want to restore a machine, but just do it because you enjoy it, not because of the profit you’ll potentially make from a hobby.
The machines were meant to be played and you bringing a game back to life is what the hobby is about

#8 4 years ago

I bought a rough players quality Jacks Open a year or so ago. I did a full restoration that cost about 2k. My thread is in the restoration section. For me it’s what I wanted and enjoyed the process. I fully understand I can’t make any money and that was never the idea. To answer your question I believe Jacks Open is a desirable game. If you buy it right and get it running you may be able to make a few bucks and will have saved a game for someone else to enjoy.

#9 4 years ago

Not on my wishlist but would be interested in a nice example. Kinda maxed out on EM’s right now and am moving forward with newer games.

#10 4 years ago

JO is in my top 2-3 I think. Great game.

1 week later
#11 4 years ago

Prices seem to be pretty much what was mentioned above. Fun game and in the EM top 100, rating reviews here are all good .. so I would say it's still desirable. I am personally after some more drop target games, and am relatively local, so will be hitting you up for details on this one when it's ready!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball
Lighting
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-market-for-gtb-jacks-open and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.