20171206_021827 (resized).jpg
0Hot-Shot-Work-06 (resized).jpg
20171203_131915 (resized).jpg
20171203_131949 (resized).jpg
0Hot-Shot-Work-04 (resized).jpg
HS Bonus SU (resized).JPG
HS Bonus (resized).JPG
20171121_181917 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cactusjack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 6 years ago

A common issue on Gottlieb "Scan" type bonus collect is the Run out switch on the Bonus unit. This is the leaf switch that rides on the outer edge of the bakelite cam. They sometimes don't stay "Closed" during the entire cycle of the bonus scanning. I have found this sometimes to be the condition of the center bearing that the shaft goes through of the cam. If it can wiggle around a lot, this will cause issues as it moves in a circle. Here is another discussion from a while back:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hot-shot-bonus-reset-issues

#19 6 years ago

For reference. At the top, you will see what silences the Knocker during coin drop (NC on W). The rest is the bonus collect scan step up circuit. "C" is Add bonus unit relay. "Q" is Ball Return control Relay. Second snip is the bonus unit step up circuit. When it detects a DT down, it should pause and score, then step to the next DT.

HS Bonus (resized).JPGHS Bonus (resized).JPG

HS Bonus SU (resized).JPGHS Bonus SU (resized).JPG

#23 6 years ago

The flux in normal rosin core solder is enough to do the job. The problem is you need more heat. Either a solder station turned all the way up, or a good old Weller Solder GUN. With enough heat, you can zip through the whole playfield in no time as long as you scratch off the old corrosion first. I just use a triangular needle file to get between the socket and the bracket. For the tip, just drag a flat needle file across it.

1 week later
#26 6 years ago

Watch the score motor during the process. Watch for blue sparks on contacts. That may lead you to the ones that might need attention.

Some spark no matter what. But often, excessive sparking leads you to a problem.

If the bonus unit is scanning properly, it could also be the switches at each DT if you can find some kind of consistency. Try one entire bank over and over and narrow down from there.

#37 6 years ago

The new black jumper wire looks fine. I think it is the original cotton jumper that looks suspicious us.

If you have some, Solder wick makes a great replacement.

#57 6 years ago

Rolf,

When I said 2 cycles per rotation, what l meant was that the stepper is symmetrical. The 15 steps are duplicated. One bonus collect cycle uses one half the unit. The next collect process uses the other half.

Your purple highlighted circuit is the hold circuit for J. At the start of a score motor cycle, if a DT is detected, the J relay is pulled in. Then, the hold circuit insures the J relay stays in as the stepper is advanced to the next rivet position.

#67 6 years ago

Someone may have adjusted the blades in such a way that the relay would not open completely. Therefore, their fix for their error may have been a heavier spring.

How does that spring compare to other relays?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cactusjack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-many-problems-with-my-gottlieb-hot-shot?tu=cactusjack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.