IMG_5425 (resized).JPG
01ce29e2-d015-4fee-8e82-4a1a9810fb81 (resized).jpg
62127550_10219186189627968_1757269973484437504_o (resized).jpg
62361807_10219186178867699_6647752051491078144_o (resized).jpg
F9987094-6055-44F8-BA88-BF6B8FD31ADC (resized).jpeg
FullSizeR (resized).jpg
UA Twin Cerritos (resized).jpg
FD9B0514-5DD4-4177-A007-43F0C854B2F4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vicjw66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#347 4 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Jimmy Carter's "Crisis of Confidence" Speech, '79:
https://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/jimmycartercrisisofconfidence.htm
A challenge to the attention spans of most in the audience, I s'pose, but worthwhile and uncommon. I was just a lad, but my folks were watching and were moved. If a President today rolled out something like this, it would stun the world. Should we lament that? I say, Yes.[quoted image]

I remember being bummed when Carter lost to that old fart in the red sweater. Didn’t know anything about Carter or Reagan except I didn’t like Reagan’s old man sweater he wore when I first saw him on tv. Plus I liked Carter. We had a song about him we used to sing on the playground:

Marijuana, marijuana, pcp, pcp,
Jimmy Carter smokes it, Jimmy Carter smokes it,
Why can’t we, why can’t we.

So out went Carter and all those old rusty unsafe but fun as heck playgrounds, and in came plastic, sanitized, and safe playgrounds bought on credit. A lot of things were fixed up by Reagan with money we didn’t have. The rusty old 70s were replaced with the plastic 80s.
The old RTD buses with the glass sliding windows and pull cords for stops were replaced with the plastic brown tinted windows that pushed out and the rubber strips that you pushed to request a stop. The new bus had that grinning front bumper.

But the biggest change was that in the 70s parents let us kids do whatever we wanted to do, and in the 80s we were sanitized for our protection.

As far as cars and music, the early 70s were pretty good but quickly went downhill the rest of the decade. Ted Nugent was the worst. Cat scratch fever? WTF was that shit. How did that guy ever have a career? Even his pinball machine sucked.

#348 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

We had one of those. Also had the Presto Hot Dogger. Made hot dogs like an electric chair. Pretty good safety lock out as the spears/prongs put liner voltage through the meat.

The presto burger maker burgers tasted funky. The presto hot dog cookers tasted like electricity. You had to bend the hotdogs in an arc and stick each end of the dog onto a metal spike thus completing the circuit. There was a decent chance the hot dog would break during the process. I actually liked the electric taste and smell. With the advent of the microwave, the hot dog cookers went away.

#371 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I never even thought about the word, "code". The vids worked, we played them and waited for the next new one to come out!

Well, the vids worked sometimes. The controls quite often failed. People would get pissed off when things didn’t work right and would abuse the games thus making things worse. The throttle on most stunt cycles didn’t work very well. I loved Boot Hill, but like all the 70s games, didn’t like how games were timed. No matter how good you got, games wouldn’t last much more than a minute.

#428 4 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

One of my favorite things from the seventies![quoted image]

Jordache really didn’t become popular until the early 80s with Brook Shields’ commercial. The 70s were all about low rise jeans which I much preferred. Low rise came back in the late 90s early oughts. Those lousy high rise or “mom jeans” came back this decade and they suck.

#430 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Jordache really didn’t become popular until the early 80s with Brook Shields’ commercial. The 70s were all about low rise jeans which I much preferred. Low rise came back in the late 90s early oughts. Those lousy high rise or “mom jeans” came back this decade and they suck.

Edit: Brooke Shields did Calvin Klein. But they were basically the same

#433 4 years ago

I had a nice pair of blue corduroy op shorts that maybe covered 3 inches of leg below the inseam. We had a British foreign exchange student that wore shorts that went down almost to his knees that he called Knickers. We all thought it was the strangest thing.

#460 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Oh yes. Clear Channel. The McDonalds of American music. One 30 song play list for the entire country. It's like you never left home.

Clear channel, where they not only edit songs they play, sometimes deleting entire versus, but also demand that the band do a sanitized version to play on their stations. If there is true evil in this world, clear channel is it, or at least Disney’s right hand man to it.

#461 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Oh yes. Clear Channel. The McDonalds of American music. One 30 song play list for the entire country. It's like you never left home.

Speaking of Clear Channel, they outright banned Tom Pettys “The Last DJ” from playing on any of their stations because the song was about a DJ that moved to Mexico so he could still play the songs he wanted to play and not be restricted to the Corporate playlist. I urge you all to watch the latest South Park Episode. The new Clear channel for everything entertainment is China. Sorry for the digression.

#546 4 years ago

Geez Odin, enough with the gawdawful cars of the 70s.

1 week later
#684 4 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

Ahh Gorgor. It was a magical time when our local Aladdin's Castle brought in Gorgor. Everybody was constantly crowding around it, I had to wait a few days before I got my chance. I remember a bigger kid picked my token up off the glass and played it and shrugged it off when I called him out. Not cool.

That was a common occurrence in the arcade during the 70s and early 80s. The older kids would either steal your quarter if you put it on the game or else just push you off the game while you were playing it. Kids weren’t considered special or untouchable back then. Noone cared if you got swatted by some Odin type 20 year old when you were 10 or 12 years old. I would like to ask all those now 55-60 year old men why they felt the need to be such scumbags back then.

1 month later
#710 4 years ago

Found these in an old trunk in my parents garage. Almost the 1970s.

FD9B0514-5DD4-4177-A007-43F0C854B2F4 (resized).jpegFD9B0514-5DD4-4177-A007-43F0C854B2F4 (resized).jpeg
#712 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Found this

Take a pic of the actual album if indeed you physically found it. Anyone can do a google search.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vicjw66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-magical-1970s?tu=vicjw66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.