IMG_5425 (resized).JPG
01ce29e2-d015-4fee-8e82-4a1a9810fb81 (resized).jpg
62127550_10219186189627968_1757269973484437504_o (resized).jpg
62361807_10219186178867699_6647752051491078144_o (resized).jpg
F9987094-6055-44F8-BA88-BF6B8FD31ADC (resized).jpeg
FullSizeR (resized).jpg
UA Twin Cerritos (resized).jpg
FD9B0514-5DD4-4177-A007-43F0C854B2F4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider girloveswaffles.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Your future is in our hands.[quoted image][quoted image]

Man! I haven't seen a TRS-80 in years (excluding the Model 100 portable I have).

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from dontfeed:

Z-Brick and wood paneling everywhere.

Uh! Z-Brick! I have a wall in both my living room and kitchen with that shit! Worst part is, if you try to remove it, it takes part of the wall board with it!
I had to fight with it just to remove a small section to put a T.V. wall mount up.

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My den still has the original ash wood paneling from 1959 and it adds a warm glow to the room so I'm not ever taking it out. Won't be buying any deep shag carpeting any time soon though. Or any carpet for that matter.
I can see a kitchen remodel in the future sometime as termites have gotten the better of the cabinets around the sink. Avocado green is still a great option

There's nothing more fun than finding out the different color your rooms (or even exterior) of your has had been painted.
I stripped a former Ironing board cabinet door in my kitchen a few years back. At one time my kitchen was also avocado green. before that pink and what I like to call "Cal-trans Orange" prior to that.

#191 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Ummm, none of us are spring chickens.
Isn't pinball for the over 50 crowd?

"Ouch!" ... and yes.

#193 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

LATE 70s, but still the 70s.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Remember back in the '70s when toys were a lot more dangerous?Lawn Darts (resized).jpgLawn Darts (resized).jpg

#224 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Sure. A lot more toxic too.[quoted image]

Shapes and colors.gifShapes and colors.gif
#225 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Since they were recalled, I wonder how much you could get for a set of those?

Hard to say. I've heard it's illegal to sell them even on line. But someone allegedly found a work around: (it's at the very end)
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/lawn-darts-sales-ban/

#227 4 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Hard to say. I've heard it's illegal to sell them even on line. But someone allegedly found a work around: (it's at the very end)
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/lawn-darts-sales-ban/

BTW, if you look close at the picture, you'll see that this one on display does not have the metal rod in it. It's just the plastic fins.IMG_0524.jpgIMG_0524.jpgIMG_0524A.jpgIMG_0524A.jpg

... now lets see who knows where this is (or maybe was now).

#232 4 years ago

Holy S**t! just for laughs I looked on eBay and:
ebay.com link: Vintage Eagle Lawn Darts Game FULL GAME 4 darts 2 rings original box
Lawn Darts eBay (resized).jpgLawn Darts eBay (resized).jpg

#354 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Nothing screams 1970s arcade like this little beauty that is at the local auction house.[quoted image]

Captains Auctions?

#356 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yep!
Of all those Stunt Cycles they made, and it has to be 1000s of them as they were everywhere, this is only the second one I've seen at the Captain's.
For those not familiar with that game, it sucked down quarters as fast as any pinball machine in it's day. I know it took a lot of mine.

But there's nothing like these. One of the first coin op video games:
IMG_2728 (resized).jpgIMG_2728 (resized).jpg
Nuttings Computer Space. Predates Pong by nearly a year. Molded fiberglass cabinet, vacuum tube television for a display (modified) and a gas can for a coin box (also modified).

#384 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

... wait a minute ... That's in Banning!

#419 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm guessing you never saw Wizards.

Warning: Major spoiler here if you haven't seen the movie ...

The pivotal scene of the movie.

#426 4 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Yeah, nothing says the 70s like Ralph Bakshi. Fritz the Cat, Wizards, The Lord of the Rings. Good stuff!

Don't forget Heavy Traffic (with lots of Pinball in it).

#436 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

1970 calling O-din, pick up![quoted image]

1973 is asking if O-Din ever listened to music on one of these:
IMG_1656 (resized).jpgIMG_1656 (resized).jpg

I just found this in a thrift store today for $0.95 . It seems like it might be a "Tandy" thing to have.

#438 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No but I had one of these.
KEZY and KKDJ 102.7 FM baby! Oh and Vin Scully announcing Dodger games.[quoted image]

But did you listen to KLOS or KMET (The Mighty Met!) or even the early days of KROQ?

#450 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Tape recorders bring good money today. If it works you should do some research. Tandy is not the same as Teac, but look around.

It's not working, but I already found a video on repairing it that has the same model with the same problem. Right now, I'm just cleaning it up. I removed some of the black tape off the front. The name and model are printed on the front (Realistic 999B).

I do however have a working AKAI GX4000 that I've had since 1978.

#451 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

80s you say? What have they done to my radio station!
Actually it was a one of a kind and made it to the early 90s, and put the biggest LA corporate rock station KMET out of business.[quoted image]

KMET went "Off the air" because FOX had to sell it when they purchased Metromedia. Then it became the "Wave" and I learned to REALLY hate Kenny G and that kind of music. It was nice for the few short years that The Sound (100.3 FM) was on the air and they had some of the old KMET personalities, but it's gone also.

#471 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The other guy is Seymour.
It may have been local only but he hosted Fright Night and showed horror movies, and was one of the first around here to do so.

Way before Seymour on KABC:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1847484/

... and those who followed: https://terrordaves.com/2011/06/05/the-real-horror-hosts-of-southern-california/

#477 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, I wasn't alive but remember Vampira for some reason. Maybe they had model kits we could build or something like that.
Another was Saturday afternoon's Chiller.
Didn't really have a host as such, but always showed some green dude in a swamp putting his hand on his face and pushing himself into the water. Mid to late 60s on that one. Perhaps into the 70s.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/monsterkidclassichorrorforum/chiller-early-70s-los-angeles-t15986.html

Yup, I remember Chiller being on KTTV back in the early 70's.

#555 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My buddy had the "Honey Bee" version of that.
The first of my many Toyotas was one of these. 1976 though and green in color. I bought from a a guy named Ivan Ho.
[quoted image]

My first car was a '76 Corolla DX Wagon. Built like a tank. Only got 23 mpg in the city, but 33 on the highway. Moved a few pins in it too.
Moved a Space Invaders pin in it. The only thing I had trouble moving in it was a Hyperball. (folded down it was a 1/2" to high).

#558 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Your car had that wonderful 2TC hemi engine. My Corona was sporting a 20R. Hard to go wrong with either.

1588cc Baby! Yeah!

#559 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No, nothing at all whatsoever to do with the 70s, but for a spell during the 90s I was tooling around in one of these gems. Talk about good gas mileage.[quoted image]

Old School DatSun?

#594 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I opened up a box last night.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

1968 called. They'd like their Disneyland map back.

#596 4 years ago

There was a real nice 1962 map for sale at San Diego Comic Con this year:
IMG_1624 (resized).jpgIMG_1624 (resized).jpg
Wanted to buy it, but it was $350.

#598 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yep, you nailed it. It says copyright 1968 on it although I believe I acquired it in the early 70s.
My friend an I were looking at it and discussing how much better Disneyland was then. When I had that on my wall, we wondered how that space port and rocket ride would be and how the cars or trains would run through all those tracks coming out of the top of the building.

They kept selling that version of the map up until just after Bear Country opened (1972). For some reason, they didn't even update the Haunted mansion as being opened in 1969 until then.

#659 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, it is worth taking out of the box every twenty years. I also got a kick out of thumbing thru some of those old Mad books.

It's good to know Sergio Aragones is still around and doing comics. Here he is at San Diego Comic Con this past July:
IMG_1577 (resized).jpgIMG_1577 (resized).jpg

#666 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

He's about the only one left, right? I liked them all. Dave Berg drew some great characters that looked like people in real life and was hilarious.
For me though, Don Martin was the man![quoted image]

Most of the classic MAD Magazine artist and writers are gone now. But I was surprised to find that Mort Drucker is still around (For those of you who aren't familiar with him, he drew a lot of the movie and T.V. parodies in MAD, also many of the covers and he also worked at DC comics in the '60s)

3 weeks later
#708 4 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

I wish I still had my Megos. I had several of their Planet of the Apes action figures, and the whole Star Trek crew along with the Enterprise set.

If it weren't for Mego, we probably wouldn't have Robot Chicken!

1 month later
#716 4 years ago

The long gone UA Twin Cinema at Cerritos Mall. Saw a lot of great movies there in the '70s (also in the '80s). Saw Star Wars for the first time there, Superman, Island at the Top of the World, The Sting and many more.
UA Twin Cerritos (resized).jpgUA Twin Cerritos (resized).jpg

2 months later

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider girloveswaffles.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-magical-1970s?tu=girloveswaffles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.