IMG_5425 (resized).JPG
01ce29e2-d015-4fee-8e82-4a1a9810fb81 (resized).jpg
62127550_10219186189627968_1757269973484437504_o (resized).jpg
62361807_10219186178867699_6647752051491078144_o (resized).jpg
F9987094-6055-44F8-BA88-BF6B8FD31ADC (resized).jpeg
FullSizeR (resized).jpg
UA Twin Cerritos (resized).jpg
FD9B0514-5DD4-4177-A007-43F0C854B2F4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#392 4 years ago

The 70s: In no particular order.

Viet Nam

Nixon

Gas Shortages

55 mile/hour speed limits

CB Radios

No more Viet Nam

Nixon is Impeached

Nixon resigns

Ford pardons Nixon

Head Shops

Under-powered overpriced cars.

Speedometers changed from 120 mph top speed to 80 mph top speed

Dual speedos showing MPH and kilometers

Car payments were on a 36 month schedule. The car self-destructed on the 37th payment.

Chevettes and other econo-boxes were everywhere

Love Canal----Hooker Chemical

Boeing 747s hit the skies

From 1976 to 1979 housing prices doubled. $15K bread boxes ( Jr. Ranch ) doubled to $32K

Three Mile Island

Unleaded gasoline started its move to replace regular leaded gasoline

Radial tires kicked bias-belted tires to the curb.

White walls went out of style

Instead of paying monthly rent on a telephone, you could buy your own phone. All kinds of bizarre phones were sold. Mickey Mouse phone, anyone?

The 70s were when kick ass stereos were being sold. Replacing the lackluster stereos from the 60s.

Quadrophonic stereos hit the scene---and flamed out.

#401 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Nice summary. I would add:
Disco
It was a pretty big thing for a while. You had to be there.

I forgot about Discos. Thank you. They were huge. But AIDS in the early 80s sure shut them down.

But titty bars come on during the 70s and to some extent they are still to be found.

#404 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They were always around even in the 70s but sprung up like weeds during the 90s. Still quite a few in my area including what used to be a couple pool halls down the street. I don't go there anymore.

You are correct. The 70s had the go-go girl joints wearing bikinis. Around here, anyway.

#410 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Quadrophonic stereos hit the scene---and flamed out.

Quoted from eagle18:

[quoted image]

That's a rare beast !

#411 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

No big deal, but it was 85 MPH speedometers per the FMVSS. Actually had to have a pin so the needle wouldn't go past 85. If one of the few digital ones, 85 was tops.

I had a '77 Lincoln Mark V. I always thought 80 was tops but now I see the the "5" and the "85" were just lines with no numbers. I have a favorite place in Oklahoma where I like to open it up. And I actually twisted the speedo cable in half because I exceeded 85 mph. It felt like I was going really really fast.

14128229 (resized).jpg14128229 (resized).jpg

My current vehicle shows up to 120, like the old days. The Kansas Turnpike is posted at 75mph. Everybody, even grandma, is moving. 85 is a nice cruising speed.

My old Corvette showed 160mph. I'm starting to wish I had that car back.

Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 8.04.14 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-06 at 8.04.14 PM (resized).png

#417 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

We happened to watch I Come In Peace last night.

Isn't that what Hitler said to Stalin before he steamrolled into Russia?

#442 4 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

1973 is asking if O-Din ever listened to music on one of these:
[quoted image]
I just found this in a thrift store today for $0.95 . It seems like it might be a "Tandy" thing to have.

Tape recorders bring good money today. If it works you should do some research. Tandy is not the same as Teac, but look around.

#453 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Before they all got bought up by 1 company thanks to deregulation...
Remember how cool radio stations used to be?
Talk about cool.
-mof

Oh yes. Clear Channel. The McDonalds of American music. One 30 song play list for the entire country. It's like you never left home.

#466 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Since we are getting close to Halloween, a couple familiar faces that were all over the place in the 70s.[quoted image][quoted image]

There's Wolfman Jack. I other guy I cannot identify. Who?

#481 4 years ago

Man o Man! Don't ask me how but I completely missed these guys and this song.

Research show Led Zeppelin opened for these guys !

Nice song.

THanks for posting it.

#482 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Wolfman Jack was putting on a very entertaining show, and when he waved his cape, the firepots on the stage caught the curtain in the John Wayne Theatre on fire.
My buddy and I sat there as the place emptied out because now it was even more entertaining. We were the last two to leave.

For some reason, the phrase "lucky to be alive" keeps running through my head .

#484 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The doors were in the back of the place and plenty of them, and the stage where the fire was, was in the front. We were sitting in the middle.
At first we thought the fire was just part of the show, until the smoke told us it wasn't.
We were just being courteous, letting everybody else exit the place first.
Seriously though, Wolfman Jack put on one hell of a show!

OK. Lots of doors. But my first thought was the Great White Station fire in 2003.

Wolfman and other personalities were not too plentiful in the midwest. I had bought tickets to see Jimi Hendrix but my money was refunded due to slow ticket sales.

#495 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Poor guy.
Funny you should say that Lloyd as I remember buying glue was like buying alcohol. Either you had to be 21 or pimp some bum standing out front to buy it for you.
Fast forward to today, and I go to Walmart yesterday, and all the Tide products are in a locked cabinet. None of the other brands, just Tide. I like their original non HE liquid, so I ring a buzzer and a clerk tells me which register to go to where my Tide will be waiting. lol.
I also picked up some Comet so my tub won't be so slippery.

Go to Walmart and you cannot buy:

Acetone---finger nail polish remover

Magic Markers

Rattle can paint.

Some other marking type what nots.

They all shut the register down until the clerk walks up and makes sure you are not some snot nosed kid.

And now Tide (Pods) have been added to the list. Amazing.

Models: I used to put model cars together way back. I went into local hobby shop a couple of weeks ago (yes, we have one of those) and about had a heart attack when I see the Revel '57 Chevy with a $27.00 price tag. And it is the same kit, same damn car I put together in the 60s for $1.95. Same for the AMT stuff. Overpriced. And they are same car/kits I put together in the 60s. Talk about a product with a long life cycle.

#500 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I started out with a 1968 AMT AMC Ambassador I believe. Most model kits in the 70s were under $5.
This is a rare item now, but was the swan song of my model building career in the mid 70s.
A Tamiya 1/25 scale Tiger 1, fully detailed inside and out. So intricate, each track was a separate piece that snapped together and had fully functional torsion bar suspension. Came in a big box.
Price $17. Half my month's paper route money.
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

If that Tiger Tank is your build you do some amazing work.

#515 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

I never got a chemistry set, but I did have access to Draino, tin foil and a gallon glass coke bottle. Just put about 4 tablespoons of Draino in the bottle and fill with a sufficient quantity of tin foil with water. Draino mainly creates sulfuric acid and the reaction with tin foil gets rather hot, so we put the coke bottle in a bucket of cold water to keep it from exploding. The chemical reaction creates hydrogen, which can be collected with a rubber balloon on top of the coke bottle. Hydrogen is both lighter than air and flammable, so we would play with that. Typically, people would gather in the area to see what exploded. No one ever got hurt, but we did damage some coke bottles.

http://dujye7n3e5wjl.cloudfront.net/photographs/1080-tall/time-100-influential-photos-sam-shere-hindenburg-disaster-26.jpg

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
#520 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

If you tie a string to a balloon about 2 feet in diameter, filled with hydrogen and lite the end before you release it, you can watch the fireball similar to the Hindenburg, about 20 feet in the air. Typically, the fireball is about 3-4 feet in diameter. It is rather loud and impressive, but it only lasts for a brief moment. Kind of like a big firework.

Hmmm. I may have to see about developing a 2nd childhood and check this out.

#542 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Some chassis similarities, but I never saw a Pinto with a 5.0 V-8 with one of these beauties on it. Another fine Ford product of the 1970s.
[quoted image]

The variable venturi. Vacuum operated Nightmare? I never worked on one of those. I sort had a love affair with Quadrajets.

#547 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It was a handling champ. The German Pinto 2.0L might have been a forerunner to today's rice tuners.
[quoted image]

I graduated high school in 1970. I don't know when that car hit the streets (1969?) , but I had 2 classmates I saw sitting in one at a stop light. "B" said that had been riding around town all day on a dollars worth of gas. That was the brag for them. Good gas mileage.

#548 4 years ago

In 1971, I was in the Navy and going to school on the navel air station on Coronado Island in San Diego. One day as I was walking down a street on base a dark green 240Z turned the corner and just sort of slid by. It was lust at first sight.

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 8.27.27 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-12 at 8.27.27 AM (resized).png

#574 4 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

What makes this era of Mustangs garbage?

You would need to have lived in the era to understand fully.

In 1972, you had this.

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 11.53.43 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-13 at 11.53.43 AM (resized).png

and this

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 11.54.24 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-13 at 11.54.24 AM (resized).png

in 1973 you had this. Notice the bumper?

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 11.54.48 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-13 at 11.54.48 AM (resized).png

1973, and the 70s, and some of the 80s were bad years for cars.

In 1972, you could buy a monster Corvette with a 454 engine and gobs of horspower. In 1973, the Vette you could buy was a watered down version of its old self. The 427's and 454's were gone.

1st up: The insurance companies were leaning hard on the car makers to make cars that could withstand minor bumps with out costing fortunes to repair. So, to answer the insurance companies monetary and political pull, the car makers installed larger bumpers that "stuck out like a sore thumb". The red Mustang and gold Chevelle had bumpers that weren't cutting it and the huge bumper on the black Chevelle was Detroit's answer to satisfy the insurance companies . The bumper on the black car looks quite normal now, but at the time we thought they were ugly. They took a little bit to get used to.

2nd up: We went thru a gasoline crisis with shortages, gas lines, and increased gas prices. And the car makers were dealing with how to control automobile emissions.

What worked in 1972 did not work in 1973. The cars made were uglier, some were made smaller, and they were all underpowered. Plus President Nixon, in an effort to maintain some kind of control of energy usage cut the speed limits, nationwide, on all highways, to 55 mph.

The cute little Mustang II was introduced in 1973. It was underpowered and loaded up with pollution control crap ( witness, I am not anti-pollution control, but it took the car makers a few years to start making good pollution control equipment for cars). And it had those huge bumpers.

Add in that with the increase in gas prices, people started buying the Toyotas and Datsuns and were finding out they were reliable, cheap driving cars and the little Mustang II did not have much of a chance.

Basically, the 70s and the early part 80s sort of sucked for car selection.

Cadillac entered the small car, economy car market with this beauty:

The Cimmeron. Which was just a Chevy larded up with all of toys a Cadillac was expected to have, and with a Cadillac badge slapped on. And a Cadillac price.

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 12.23.51 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-13 at 12.23.51 PM (resized).png

All of the US cars were junk back then. There was the Chevy Vega, which if you left the east coast with a new car you arrived on the west coast in a bucket of rust.

There was even a 60 Minutes interview with Henry Ford II saying, " We build lots of lousy cars."

The mustang II was just not born at a good time.

Eventually, Detroit got its act together but there was a big change that allowed that to happen.

In 1983 or 1984 you could walk into a dealership and buy a new car for $3995.00. In 1984 or 1985, the same car would cost you $14,999.00. It was called "sticker shock". Overnight, from one year model to the following year model, Detroit jacked it prices. OMG, $15,000.00 for a car? 4 years earlier I paid "only" $33K for my house---which I could have bought for $15K four years earlier. $15K for an average Joe Suburb kind of car? GTF outta here !

The cars are better now. Yep. They don't make them like they used to. Used to be if got 50,000 miles out of your car you were doing real good. Many were in the salvage yards at 50K miles. Nowadays, 250,000 miles and more is the norm.

But I digress

The little Mustang II was born at a bad time. And the blue and white Cobra paint job was about all you got; A ho-hummer with a super paint job price. I suppose the other book end would be the under-powered, overheating Pontiac Fiero

High priced gas. 55 mph speed limits---and CB radios (Radio Shack loved 55 mph. You have not lived if you never walked into a Radio Shack and saw three walls in the store covered up with CB radios in all brands and styles).

You can talk about the Magical 70s, but in the automotive world there were some dark days ahead.

#576 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

I often use bad language when I get a check engine light

Glad to hear you are not a total prude I use bad language all of the time. One well placed four-letter word can eliminate paragraphs

#581 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

All emission related BS. Should be illegal to turn on a check engine light for those things that have really nothing to do with the engine. 9 out of 10 times, this is what I have seen.

I think the original purpose of the CE light was to highlight when the emissions were not working properly. The CE lights tells you if you have a misfire and are sending unburned gas into the atmosphere. Which can also destroy your other pollution control devise called a catalytic converter.

It used to be a regular thing to see come big old car with a bog old V-8 running on 7 cylinders belching out smoke and unburned gases because the poor bastard driving the car was either and idiot or too broke and could not fix his car correctly. Unbelievable, but I still see a car every once in awhile running on 7 or 5 cylinders clogging up my breathing air with the eye burning gasses.

The O2 sensors sends feedback to the intake air that the exhaust gasses are to rich and sending unburned gas into the atmosphere. Or the intake air is too lean which can make your car run hot and destroy other things.

I'd have to research it for sure, but I do believe if it was not for government mandated pollution control required on automobiles then there would be no CE light to begin with.

#583 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

I think it is a ploy to get more garage time for repair shops to fix emissions related problems.

I won't say you are wrong with this thought but it might a bit of stretch. But I'm fairly sure the car makers make things difficult in an effort to put Joe Shadetree and mom and pop out of business in an effort drive all repair work back to the dealership.

There is a situation with farm equipment (John Deere) with all of the sensors and software that farmers are having to shop for bootleg troubleshooting software just so the can repair their own combine broken down on the far side of the field. Some laws were/are being worked on that require the farm equipment makers to provide the farmer with the repair software he needs. I don't know where these laws stand now, but IMO, this JD shit is what happens when Wall Street is pulling strings in the back ground for ever increasing earnings.

#626 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That got me thinking about some of the drivers ed movies they used to show us like Red Asphalt. But they got nothing on some of the older ones like Traffic With The Devil from the 1940s I happened to record off Turner and watch last week. Looking forward to watching The Bottle and the Throttle next.

Now that you mention it, although it was the 60s and the Highway Patrol movie was made in 1959, Signal 30, in all of its gory and blood is on You Tube.

Also Wheels of Agony.

I’m going to have to search for yours.

Morbid revelation: I watch these old car crash movies with dead people and think in terms of “damn, that was 1957 Thunderbird that was crashed into a heap of junk”.

#628 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, I know a lot of this is stuff from before the 70s, but we watched a lot of reruns in that decade.

#672 4 years ago

The 70s

When Willie Nelson was toking a doobie on The White House roof.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/rgpdjb/willie-nelson-weed-jimmy-carters-son

When President Jimmy Carter interviewed with Playboy magazine.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/national/the-time-jimmy-carter-was-interviewed-playboy-about-lust/1nDH1lhbMuOjqx7NRkQLpI/

When "seeds and stems" was a regular part of the vocabulary.

There was even a song written about this bummer of a situation.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-magical-1970s?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.