IMG_5425 (resized).JPG
01ce29e2-d015-4fee-8e82-4a1a9810fb81 (resized).jpg
62127550_10219186189627968_1757269973484437504_o (resized).jpg
62361807_10219186178867699_6647752051491078144_o (resized).jpg
F9987094-6055-44F8-BA88-BF6B8FD31ADC (resized).jpeg
FullSizeR (resized).jpg
UA Twin Cerritos (resized).jpg
FD9B0514-5DD4-4177-A007-43F0C854B2F4 (resized).jpeg
There are 745 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.
#401 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Nice summary. I would add:
Disco
It was a pretty big thing for a while. You had to be there.

I forgot about Discos. Thank you. They were huge. But AIDS in the early 80s sure shut them down.

But titty bars come on during the 70s and to some extent they are still to be found.

#402 4 years ago

As I recall it, the 80s is when the topless bars were big. A lot of guys spent a lot of time and dollar bills in those things. That's what I heard anyway, I would have no way to know myself.

#403 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

As I recall it, the 80s is when the topless bars were big. A lot of guys spent a lot of time and dollar bills in those things. That's what I heard anyway, I would have no way to know myself.

They were always around even in the 70s but sprung up like weeds during the 90s. Still quite a few in my area including what used to be a couple pool halls down the street. I don't go there anymore.

#404 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They were always around even in the 70s but sprung up like weeds during the 90s. Still quite a few in my area including what used to be a couple pool halls down the street. I don't go there anymore.

You are correct. The 70s had the go-go girl joints wearing bikinis. Around here, anyway.

#405 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I totally get it. Like everything else nowadays, more money for lesser quality goods.

#406 4 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

I totally get it. Like everything else nowadays, more money for lesser quality goods.

Yes. Locally one of the best steak houses around since the 80's, Steak and Ale, closed a few years back to become Hooters.
Sad.

#407 4 years ago

Are there any Ponderosa left out there? The last one around here closed about 5-6 yrs. back.

#408 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Quadrophonic stereos hit the scene---and flamed out.

F7BF9421-0BB2-45D2-BF8D-B64CAAF7CEEE (resized).jpegF7BF9421-0BB2-45D2-BF8D-B64CAAF7CEEE (resized).jpeg
#409 4 years ago

We called it Pond-a-gross-a.

Bonanza was better PLUS they had the Texas toast.

Rounding out the 70's, you can't forget Lucky Steer with a great salad bar. Salad bars were all the rage and restaurants would compete to have the most items to offer. Can't really count the various crackers or different flavored croutons as items though

#410 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Quoted from eagle18:

[quoted image]

That's a rare beast !

#411 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

No big deal, but it was 85 MPH speedometers per the FMVSS. Actually had to have a pin so the needle wouldn't go past 85. If one of the few digital ones, 85 was tops.

I had a '77 Lincoln Mark V. I always thought 80 was tops but now I see the the "5" and the "85" were just lines with no numbers. I have a favorite place in Oklahoma where I like to open it up. And I actually twisted the speedo cable in half because I exceeded 85 mph. It felt like I was going really really fast.

14128229 (resized).jpg14128229 (resized).jpg

My current vehicle shows up to 120, like the old days. The Kansas Turnpike is posted at 75mph. Everybody, even grandma, is moving. 85 is a nice cruising speed.

My old Corvette showed 160mph. I'm starting to wish I had that car back.

Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 8.04.14 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-06 at 8.04.14 PM (resized).png

#412 4 years ago

I know it's 1981, but when the taracian defeated loc nar on the Heavy Metal movie, I thought there would never be a better movie.
That was near the same time as the original Star Trek and Doctor Who series...

#413 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

I know it's 1981, but when the taracian defeated loc nar on the Heavy Metal movie, I thought there would never be a better movie.
That was near the same time as the original Star Trek and Doctor Who series...

The music and soundtrack was awesome...

#414 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Yes. Locally one of the best steak houses around since the 80's, Steak and Ale, closed a few years back to become Hooters.
Sad.

There was a classic chain around CA in the 70s called Sirloin and Brew Unlimited. Basically, crappy steak and all the crappy beer you can drink. That’s right, unlimited beer! What could go wrong?

#415 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Are there any Ponderosa left out there? The last one around here closed about 5-6 yrs. back.

Last I knew there was one in Coldwater Michigan.

John

#416 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

I'm guessing you never saw Wizards.

#417 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

We happened to watch I Come In Peace last night.

Isn't that what Hitler said to Stalin before he steamrolled into Russia?

#418 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Isn't that what Hitler said to Stalin before he steamrolled into Russia?

Totally off topic, but yes.

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg
#419 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm guessing you never saw Wizards.

Warning: Major spoiler here if you haven't seen the movie ...

The pivotal scene of the movie.

#420 4 years ago

Yeah, nothing says the 70s like Ralph Bakshi. Fritz the Cat, Wizards, The Lord of the Rings. Good stuff!

#421 4 years ago

One of my favorite things from the seventies!

Jeans (resized).jpgJeans (resized).jpg
#422 4 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

One of my favorite things from the seventies!

That would or could be my favorite in any decade

#423 4 years ago

It's 70s - check
It's Magic - check
& It's Pinball

Win, win, win

Stern Magic BG recreation low res (resized).jpgStern Magic BG recreation low res (resized).jpg
#424 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Harrisburg IL

Roadtrip!

#425 4 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Yeah, nothing says the 70s like Ralph Bakshi. Fritz the Cat, Wizards, The Lord of the Rings. Good stuff!

Yes, as much as I like the movie Heavy Metal, it still comes across to me as a poor man's Wizards. A movie we must have seen 10 times before the decade of the 70s was over.

Lord of the Rings was a slight letdown after Wizards and seeing the original Hobbit on TV.

p45029_v_v8_aa (resized).jpgp45029_v_v8_aa (resized).jpg
#426 4 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

Don't forget Heavy Traffic (with lots of Pinball in it).

#427 4 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Don't forget Heavy Traffic (with lots of Pinball in it).

Almost forgot about that one.

Add it to the category of things that were done in the 1970s, but wouldn't be done today or really any other time.

lf (resized).jpglf (resized).jpg
#428 4 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

One of my favorite things from the seventies![quoted image]

Jordache really didn’t become popular until the early 80s with Brook Shields’ commercial. The 70s were all about low rise jeans which I much preferred. Low rise came back in the late 90s early oughts. Those lousy high rise or “mom jeans” came back this decade and they suck.

#429 4 years ago

Marketing the early 70s to today's kids?

And I just saved a ton of money by switching to Geico.

3563180e5f48b5f0ba2c1dfdedcbcb636bc3ac50 (resized).jpg3563180e5f48b5f0ba2c1dfdedcbcb636bc3ac50 (resized).jpg
#430 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Jordache really didn’t become popular until the early 80s with Brook Shields’ commercial. The 70s were all about low rise jeans which I much preferred. Low rise came back in the late 90s early oughts. Those lousy high rise or “mom jeans” came back this decade and they suck.

Edit: Brooke Shields did Calvin Klein. But they were basically the same

#431 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Marketing the early 70s to today's kids?
And I just saved a ton of money by switching to Geico.[quoted image]

Finally, a new pin I can afford!

#432 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Edit: Brooke Shields did Calvin Klein. But they were basically the same

Brooke Shields was also in a 1970s movie there is no way in hell would ever be made today.

The styling pants from the 70s I remember were called Flares. Not quite bell bottoms but similar.

My buddies and I spent most of our time walking around in OP shorts though.

#433 4 years ago

I had a nice pair of blue corduroy op shorts that maybe covered 3 inches of leg below the inseam. We had a British foreign exchange student that wore shorts that went down almost to his knees that he called Knickers. We all thought it was the strangest thing.

#434 4 years ago

I was never much of a fancy dresser.

Mostly wore corduroy and denim Levis, but man, when OP arrived on the scene, not just their shorts, but their shirts set the tone if you wanted to look styling at school in the late 70s.

#435 4 years ago

And yes, just like Spicoli, five years before he even existed, I was sporting one of these too.

31ln_back (resized).jpg31ln_back (resized).jpg
#436 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

1970 calling O-din, pick up![quoted image]

1973 is asking if O-Din ever listened to music on one of these:
IMG_1656 (resized).jpgIMG_1656 (resized).jpg

I just found this in a thrift store today for $0.95 . It seems like it might be a "Tandy" thing to have.

#437 4 years ago

No but I had one of these.

KEZY and KKDJ 102.7 FM baby! Oh and Vin Scully announcing Dodger games.

il_794xN.923004920_qu64 (resized).jpgil_794xN.923004920_qu64 (resized).jpg
#438 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No but I had one of these.
KEZY and KKDJ 102.7 FM baby! Oh and Vin Scully announcing Dodger games.[quoted image]

But did you listen to KLOS or KMET (The Mighty Met!) or even the early days of KROQ?

#439 4 years ago

But did you listen to KLOS or KMET (The Mighty Met!) or even the early days of KROQ?

Sure.

As I was riding my skateboard from the bus to work in Anaheim in 1976, I spotted a billboard with a spiderweb on it that said-

"105.5 KNAC, Once You're Caught, We've Got You"

So I investigated and found the radio station of my choice. Right next to 106 K-WEST

#440 4 years ago

Some blogs with vintage 70’s pics. Mostly motorcycle chopper and stuff

http://www.motorcycho.com/

http://theacidsweatlodge.blogspot.com/

#441 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The 70s: In no particular order.
Viet Nam
Nixon
Gas Shortages
55 mile/hour speed limits
CB Radios
No more Viet Nam
Nixon is Impeached
Nixon resigns
Ford pardons Nixon
Head Shops
Under-powered overpriced cars.
Speedometers changed from 120 mph top speed to 80 mph top speed
Dual speedos showing MPH and kilometers
Car payments were on a 36 month schedule. The car self-destructed on the 37th payment.
Chevettes and other econo-boxes were everywhere
Love Canal----Hooker Chemical
Boeing 747s hit the skies
From 1976 to 1979 housing prices doubled. $15K bread boxes ( Jr. Ranch ) doubled to $32K
Three Mile Island
Unleaded gasoline started its move to replace regular leaded gasoline
Radial tires kicked bias-belted tires to the curb.
White walls went out of style
Instead of paying monthly rent on a telephone, you could buy your own phone. All kinds of bizarre phones were sold. Mickey Mouse phone, anyone?
The 70s were when kick ass stereos were being sold. Replacing the lackluster stereos from the 60s.

RAMONES man !

#442 4 years ago

[quoted image]
I just found this in a thrift store today for $0.95 . It seems like it might be a "Tandy" thing to have.

Tape recorders bring good money today. If it works you should do some research. Tandy is not the same as Teac, but look around.

#443 4 years ago

[quoted image]

But where’s the USB port?

#444 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

radio station

Before they all got bought up by 1 company thanks to deregulation...

Remember how cool radio stations used to be?

Talk about cool.

-mof

#446 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Before they all got bought up by 1 company thanks to deregulation...
Talk about cool.
-mof

American rock radio was Awesome in the 70’s and early 80’s.
Now it sucks the sweat off a dogs balls.

#448 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Talk about cool.
-mof

Some were cooler than others even back in the 70s.

Like when they let the DJ pick out the records or he would play one as suggested by someone he might be talking to on the phone. Or even let that someone pay a visit to the station and pick some out then.

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg
#449 4 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

American rock radio was Awesome in the 70’s and early 80’s.

80s you say? What have they done to my radio station!

Actually it was a one of a kind and made it to the early 90s, and put the biggest LA corporate rock station KMET out of business.

msKE4hkZBEJlAAORK4Xgdtw (resized).jpgmsKE4hkZBEJlAAORK4Xgdtw (resized).jpg
#450 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Tape recorders bring good money today. If it works you should do some research. Tandy is not the same as Teac, but look around.

It's not working, but I already found a video on repairing it that has the same model with the same problem. Right now, I'm just cleaning it up. I removed some of the black tape off the front. The name and model are printed on the front (Realistic 999B).

I do however have a working AKAI GX4000 that I've had since 1978.

There are 745 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-magical-1970s/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.