IMG_5425 (resized).JPG
01ce29e2-d015-4fee-8e82-4a1a9810fb81 (resized).jpg
62127550_10219186189627968_1757269973484437504_o (resized).jpg
62361807_10219186178867699_6647752051491078144_o (resized).jpg
F9987094-6055-44F8-BA88-BF6B8FD31ADC (resized).jpeg
FullSizeR (resized).jpg
UA Twin Cerritos (resized).jpg
FD9B0514-5DD4-4177-A007-43F0C854B2F4 (resized).jpeg
There are 745 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 15.
#351 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Ted Nugent was the worst. Cat scratch fever? WTF was that shit. How did that guy ever have a career?

He told us and played for us what we wanted to hear.

#352 4 years ago

It's true Ted Nugent was already old hat by the time Double Live Gonzo came out as there was a new sound in town.

#353 4 years ago

Nothing screams 1970s arcade like this little beauty that is at the local auction house.

25574_0 (resized).jpg25574_0 (resized).jpg
#354 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Nothing screams 1970s arcade like this little beauty that is at the local auction house.[quoted image]

Captains Auctions?

#355 4 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Captains Auctions?

Yep!

Of all those Stunt Cycles they made, and it has to be 1000s of them as they were everywhere, this is only the second one I've seen at the Captain's.

For those not familiar with that game, it sucked down quarters as fast as any pinball machine in it's day. I know it took a lot of mine.

#356 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yep!
Of all those Stunt Cycles they made, and it has to be 1000s of them as they were everywhere, this is only the second one I've seen at the Captain's.
For those not familiar with that game, it sucked down quarters as fast as any pinball machine in it's day. I know it took a lot of mine.

But there's nothing like these. One of the first coin op video games:
IMG_2728 (resized).jpgIMG_2728 (resized).jpg
Nuttings Computer Space. Predates Pong by nearly a year. Molded fiberglass cabinet, vacuum tube television for a display (modified) and a gas can for a coin box (also modified).

#357 4 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Nuttings Computer Space. Predates Pong by nearly a year. Molded fiberglass cabinet, vacuum tube television for a display (modified) and a gas can for a coin box (also modified).

But how do you jump busses with no handlebars or grips?

#358 4 years ago

3ceqgu (resized).jpg3ceqgu (resized).jpg

#359 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Nothing screams 1970s arcade like this little beauty that is at the local auction house.[quoted image]

Always had fun replacing the 5K potentiometer on the throttle on those. Or even spraying them with "Technician in a can".

The route OP I worked for probably scrapped twenty of them.

#360 4 years ago

Above photo care of NimblePin while I wasn't looking.

#361 4 years ago

On this day, Oct 4, in this thread, I just have to say it:

“10-4, good buddy!”

#362 4 years ago

This-heres-the-Rubber-Duck-shirt (resized).jpgThis-heres-the-Rubber-Duck-shirt (resized).jpg

#363 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

Looks like we’ve got a convoy!

#364 4 years ago

Does anybody that was actually there in the 1970s really care they released a new version of the Star Wars pinball game today?

I didn't think so....

#365 4 years ago

I can only think of 2 pins offhand spawned by the 70s CB craze: Bally Night Rider, and that highly-sought after Wonder Wizard CB Charlie.

#366 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Nothing screams 1970s arcade like this little beauty that is at the local auction house.

Fun game. Had one in here back in the day. Out of order once, waiting on operator to come fix it. A kid asked my Mother what was wrong with it. She told him it was out of gas and they had to come and refill the tank.

He believed her.

LTG : )
Disclaimer : It wasn't o-din

#367 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Fun game. Had one in here back in the day. Out of order once, waiting on operator to come fix it. A kid asked my Mother what was wrong with it. She told him it was out of gas and they had to come and refill the tank.
He believed her.
Disclaimer : It wasn't o-din

I bet nobody ever bitched about the code on that one, and it was pure money making gold.

#368 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I bet nobody ever bitched about the code on that one, and it was pure money making gold.

Different times.

Didn't hear anything about code. Only thing would be people wishing they built this, or that. What ever they think would be a great game. Which has stood the test of time. Still done today.

#369 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Only thing would be people wishing they built this, or that. What ever they think would be a great game. Which has stood the test of time. Still done today.

I never once remember saying I wish they would make anything as I was so blown away by what the creative geniuses were coming up with time and time again.

We didn't even know their names beyond the game manufacturers. But out here on the left coast, the pony express was always slow getting us that kind of information.

#370 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Different times.
Didn't hear anything about code. Only thing would be people wishing they built this, or that. What ever they think would be a great game. Which has stood the test of time. Still done today.

I never even thought about the word, "code". The vids worked, we played them and waited for the next new one to come out!

#371 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I never even thought about the word, "code". The vids worked, we played them and waited for the next new one to come out!

Well, the vids worked sometimes. The controls quite often failed. People would get pissed off when things didn’t work right and would abuse the games thus making things worse. The throttle on most stunt cycles didn’t work very well. I loved Boot Hill, but like all the 70s games, didn’t like how games were timed. No matter how good you got, games wouldn’t last much more than a minute.

#372 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I never even thought about the word, "code".

Sure about that?
download (2) (resized).jpgdownload (2) (resized).jpg

#373 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Sure about that?

#374 4 years ago

Smart phones? Pfffft...

Who needs that when we've got these state of the art communication devices.

57730d23908b7f0a3826737db5506890 (resized).jpg57730d23908b7f0a3826737db5506890 (resized).jpg
#375 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Smart phones? Pfffft...
Who needs that when we've got these state of the art communication devices.[quoted image]

now this was state of the art !

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#376 4 years ago

conference call !
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#377 4 years ago

Best part of the 70"s. Used to break them in half all the time going off ramps. Good thing we had a flea market close by. Could always find used ones for a couple of bucks.

70's (resized).png70's (resized).png
#378 4 years ago

magical

#379 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Smart phones? Pfffft...
Who needs that when we've got these state of the art communication devices.[quoted image]

You might notice that these are "4" transistor radios in the photo. About this timeframe, the number of transistors in the radio was equated to the quality of the device, with more being better. Transistors were a good bit larger than they are now. Mosfets were common and tubes. People could still take their TV and have repairs done that might consist of replacement of one tube transistor that plugged in. Repair men had tube testing devices and kept stock of various tube sizes and types. A lot of that work has disappeared with the use of surface mount technology. Now, repair men just replace whole circuit cards and rock on, assuming a card can be replaced and it is available. It is like the art of repair has been lost.. Almost... And everything is "Made in China" by very short communists..

#380 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

People could still take their TV and have repairs done that might consist of replacement of one tube transistor that plugged in. Repair men had tube testing devices and kept stock of various tube sizes and types.

I just use the one down at the local drug store.

seco1000-front (resized).jpgseco1000-front (resized).jpg
#381 4 years ago

I had those. Two bucks was quite a bit back then. My deck had the Jack of Diamonds as the primary card.

Marshall worked at Chicago's Riverview Park and is in a couple of videos aboot the park (Which was located just East of Bally's and Williams/United's main plants and offices. He was also on the Chicago Bozo show.

#382 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I just use the one down at the local drug store.[quoted image]

The local Olson Electronics stores (Detroit area had 4 or five of them) each had two tube testers. They had every tube imaginable. Until I needed one for a Seeburg Tormat control center on an LPC-1 Juke Box. No dice. Had to go to the Seeburg Distributor (Martin & Snyder) to get them as they were considered "Commercial" Tubes vs. consumer tubes.

#383 4 years ago

Local electronics supply stores in my area have basically disappeared. Radio shack stores that remain, sell cell phone accessories and remote control cars. Resistors, chips, capacitors and other electronic parts are almost non-existent and there is very little left in drawers. Sales people follow suit and have knowledge on cell phone activation plans and accessories, but don't have a clue what a 4774 chip is for, color code for resistor bands or what a capacitor does, much less where to find it. Most of the sales people are millennials, not that this is bad. But they have no idea the way Radio Shack used to provide technical guidance and supplies to electronics repair people. All the experienced people have moved on to greener pastures. We don't even have Frye Electronics. It is really depressing... Everything has to be ordered on line and delivered if you want to do some serious repair to any electronic devices.

#384 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

... wait a minute ... That's in Banning!

#385 4 years ago

You know we all could've saved time here by just asking The Amazing Kreskin what the future held. He was quite popular in the 70's.

psychic (resized).jpgpsychic (resized).jpg
#386 4 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Odin’s thread title includes the word “magical” and he opens with images of flags, Betsy Ross, bicentennial parades and crazy red, white & blue fashions.
You? You rush to google images & counter with signs including a swastika, obscenities & political upheaval.
Admit it dude. You got triggered!!![quoted image]

Isn't that lizzy liarwatha warren's daughter?

#387 4 years ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

I can only think of 2 pins offhand spawned by the 70s CB craze: Bally Night Rider, and that highly-sought after Wonder Wizard CB Charlie.

Picked up a little Night Rider project last summer - i think it was the waitress that got me...again...it's my 2nd one....

20180915_164327 (resized).jpg20180915_164327 (resized).jpg20180916_160249 (resized).jpg20180916_160249 (resized).jpg
#388 4 years ago

Ah, the good old days. When the first lady didn't have too many responsibilities.

#389 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The ones I had were called Ker Knockers. As fun for a ten year old as owning a set of nunchucks.[quoted image]

Nice find, Odin. I had a set of those in the 70s and I Absolutely loved them which was their downfall. That constant cracking sound got them thrown away when I finally put them down and I wasn't looking.
Great thread to look at some old toys I use to have too. Evel knievel was the man when I was a kid and his wind up motorcycle toy was one of my all time favorites.

#390 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Vietnam. Tin soldiers and Nixon coming, we're finally on our own, this summer I here the drumming, more dead in Ohio.

No,you weren't paying attention to the song,Its 4 dead in O-High-O

#391 4 years ago

The 70,s,just a small shade of what the 60,s were all about!! Honestly O-din,I thought U were a hippy,but U were Knot!!!!

#392 4 years ago

The 70s: In no particular order.

Viet Nam

Nixon

Gas Shortages

55 mile/hour speed limits

CB Radios

No more Viet Nam

Nixon is Impeached

Nixon resigns

Ford pardons Nixon

Head Shops

Under-powered overpriced cars.

Speedometers changed from 120 mph top speed to 80 mph top speed

Dual speedos showing MPH and kilometers

Car payments were on a 36 month schedule. The car self-destructed on the 37th payment.

Chevettes and other econo-boxes were everywhere

Love Canal----Hooker Chemical

Boeing 747s hit the skies

From 1976 to 1979 housing prices doubled. $15K bread boxes ( Jr. Ranch ) doubled to $32K

Three Mile Island

Unleaded gasoline started its move to replace regular leaded gasoline

Radial tires kicked bias-belted tires to the curb.

White walls went out of style

Instead of paying monthly rent on a telephone, you could buy your own phone. All kinds of bizarre phones were sold. Mickey Mouse phone, anyone?

The 70s were when kick ass stereos were being sold. Replacing the lackluster stereos from the 60s.

Quadrophonic stereos hit the scene---and flamed out.

#393 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

No,you weren't paying attention to the song,Its 4 dead in O-High-O

The lesson learned there was Do not throw rocks at men with guns.

#394 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Viet Nam
Nixon
Gas Shortages
CB Radios
No more Viet Nam
Nixon is Impeached
Nixon resigns
Ford pardons Nixon
Head Shops
Car payments were on a 36 month schedule. The car self-destructed on the 37th payment.
From 1976 to 1979 housing prices doubled. $15K bread boxes ( Jr. Ranch ) doubled to $32K
Three Mile Island
Instead of paying monthly rent on a telephone, you could buy your own phone. All kinds of bizarre phones were sold. Mickey Mouse phone, anyone?
The 70s were when kick ass stereos were being sold. Replacing the lackluster stereos from the 60s.

Nice summary. I would add:

Disco

It was a pretty big thing for a while. You had to be there.

#395 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

The 70,s,just a small shade of what the 60,s were all about!! Honestly O-din,I thought U were a hippy,but U were Knot!!!!

In third grade my hair was down to my shoulders, way longer than Tricky Dicks. And we drew peace signs all over our school artwork. We were what you would call junior hippies.
brady_den_14 (resized).jpgbrady_den_14 (resized).jpg

#396 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Nice summary. I would add:
Disco
It was a pretty big thing for a while. You had to be there.

You guys are forgetting one of the biggest fashion statements of the 20th century.

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg
#397 4 years ago

Hang ten. Barely remember those. Everyone wore those.

#398 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Viet Nam
Nixon
Gas Shortages
CB Radios
No more Viet Nam
Nixon is Impeached
Nixon resigns
Ford pardons Nixon
Head Shops
Three Mile Island

No big deal, but it was 85 MPH speedometers per the FMVSS. Actually had to have a pin so the needle wouldn't go past 85. If one of the few digital ones, 85 was tops.

#399 4 years ago

Not going to lie...Wish I would have been around in the 1970’s. Although my nostalgia is for the 80’s to early 90’s, can’t deny what a bad ass era the 70’s were. I keep on lurking in this thread and love all of it.

#400 4 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

Not going to lie...Wish I would have been around in the 1970’s. Although my nostalgia is for the 80’s to early 90’s, can’t deny what a bad ass era the 70’s were. I keep on lurking in this thread and love all of it.

It was freedom before the 80s clampdown on fun.

I'm thinking about starting a thread about how awesome the 90s were too.

We happened to watch I Come In Peace last night. Total 90s action filled cheese.

There are 745 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-magical-1970s/page/8?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.