IMG_5425 (resized).JPG
01ce29e2-d015-4fee-8e82-4a1a9810fb81 (resized).jpg
62127550_10219186189627968_1757269973484437504_o (resized).jpg
62361807_10219186178867699_6647752051491078144_o (resized).jpg
F9987094-6055-44F8-BA88-BF6B8FD31ADC (resized).jpeg
FullSizeR (resized).jpg
UA Twin Cerritos (resized).jpg
FD9B0514-5DD4-4177-A007-43F0C854B2F4 (resized).jpeg

There are 745 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 15.
#302 4 years ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Remember the CB craze? Just about everyone had that extra antenna on the car, usually either attached to the rear bumper, clamped on above a window, or on a magnetic base, often with a wire running into the trunk. Part of the fun of a road trip was listening to drivers passing you the other way telling you what was “over their shoulder” for your trip, warning about “smokies taking pictures,” and telling you their “20”.
One of the best Christmas presents I got in the 70s as a teen was a full-power CB in a vinyl case with a battery pack that I loaded with Ni-Cads for recharging. I thought it was the coolest thing ever to carry that around or hold it while riding my bike.

I joined the local HAM radio club around that time. Well before cell phones. The club had a 2 Meter radio repeater connected to a phone line near the center of my city with a tall antenna. If you had a 2M radio in your car, you could patch to that repeater and make a phone call from your car. Of course, everyone on 2M radio could hear you, but no one cared. It was used mainly for emergency communication, but some just played with it some to make a call from their car, because they could. The club paid the phone bill and no one even considered calling long distance.

#303 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

I joined the local HAM radio club around that time. Well before cell phones. The club had a 2 Meter radio repeater connected to a phone line near the center of my city with a tall antenna. If you had a 2M radio in your car, you could patch to that repeater and make a phone call from your car. Of course, everyone on 2M radio could hear you, but no one cared. It was used mainly for emergency communication, but some just played with it some to make a call from their car, because they could. The club paid the phone bill and no one even considered calling long distance.

It was a real treat to talk to someone not within earshot and while not connected to the corded phone. Maybe one day people will be able to do that without a CB or HAM radio... Nah, that’s only for science fiction.

#304 4 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

Presto Burger

We had one of those. Also had the Presto Hot Dogger. Made hot dogs like an electric chair. Pretty good safety lock out as the spears/prongs put liner voltage through the meat.

#305 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

We had one of those. Also had the Presto Hot Dogger. Made hot dogs like an electric chair. Pretty good safety lock out as the spears/prongs put liner voltage through the meat.

We had the hot dogger too. It used to spark and have electrical storms at times!

#306 4 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

Yep. 70's I was a Midwestern kid growing up in the 70's. Faithfully rode my Redline bmx down to 7-11 to read the latest copy of Skateboarder magazine, making sure to pick up every returnable glass pop bottle so I could play some Sinbad or Cleopatra. Our house didn't have cable until early 80's so it was outside until called in. When your mom screamed enough and started using your full name you knew you better get home.

Riding a Redline in the 70s, you were royalty.

#307 4 years ago

Jimmy Carter's "Crisis of Confidence" Speech, '79:

https://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/jimmycartercrisisofconfidence.htm

A challenge to the attention spans of most in the audience, I s'pose, but worthwhile and uncommon. I was just a lad, but my folks were watching and were moved. If a President today rolled out something like this, it would stun the world. Should we lament that? I say, Yes.

Jimmy.Carter (resized).jpgJimmy.Carter (resized).jpg
#308 4 years ago

All the “stuff” was great, but the magic of the 70’s was in the music.

886E2E3F-9704-4D48-B522-7770B7CEB10C (resized).jpeg886E2E3F-9704-4D48-B522-7770B7CEB10C (resized).jpeg

#309 4 years ago

Thanks for posting this, I was too busy playing Nerf Football in the street to watch this at the time... It's good to catch up.

When he reads the quotes from citizens -- it's like reading "Mean Tweets" on the tonight show... haha

-mof

#310 4 years ago

Summer of '79 when Carter gave that speech, I was 17 and fresh out of high school and not plotting my next move. I figured since I got bumped up a grade when sent off to military school, I now had a year to burn.

I am not totally against these retro pinball themes, it's just that they haven't done the right one for me.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
#311 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Welcome to the 1970s, kids.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I LOVED Sizzlers!!!!

#312 4 years ago

Think of how jacked up things are gonna be in 40 years or so, because you KNOW all those 50+ year old guys are gonna look back at the 2010's the way we do the 1970's.....

#313 4 years ago

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind the movie came out in 1977 followed by the pin in 1978.

#314 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind the movie came out in 1977 followed by the pin in 1978.

Always preferred Close Encounters to Star Wars.

As a kid, Close Encounters seemed like a possibility while Star Wars was just too out there for me.

#315 4 years ago

I didn't see Star Wars until years later. I did see Close Encounters in the theatre.

I worked with an older guy that seemed kind of strange at the time.

I mean who would be so enthused with a movie that he would go out and pay extra so he could have two personalized license plates "R2D2" and "CP3O". Both were Subarus, one was a Brat.

#316 4 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

Faithfully rode my Redline bmx ...

Quoted from Mike_J:

Riding a Redline in the 70s, you were royalty.

Redline made some good shit for sure. I do miss the BMX hierarchy culture growing up (80s but lots of crossover). GT, Haro, PK Ripper, Kuwahara. I rode my way up to an SE Quadangle at the end but it got stolen and I gave up; when you've been to the top it's along way down...

I met a guy with a Cooks Bros once.
Once.

#317 4 years ago

One fine spring day in 1978. As Woodstock was the end of one era, this day seemed like the end of another.

#318 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

this day seemed like the end of another.

This was a fitting end to the seventies movie wise, one of my all time favs. Would make a fabulous pin.
warriors (resized).jpgwarriors (resized).jpg

#319 4 years ago

That day at the Ontario Motor Speedway was the end of my era going to concerts with a half a million people. Totally disorganized as we stood in line for five hours the day before squashed together like sardines. One of the most tortuous afternoons of my life. Total relief once the gates opened.

Music was changing, and punk had already started to infiltrate us.

But one last time with Ted Nugent and his original solo band, before they would split up and never be the same again.

#320 4 years ago

Speaking of Ontario Motor Speedway, Nascar when they drove cars that were not all the same.

1970s-Ontario-Motor-Speedway (resized).jpg1970s-Ontario-Motor-Speedway (resized).jpg
#322 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I didn't see Star Wars until years later. I did see Close Encounters in the theatre.
I worked with an older guy that seemed kind of strange at the time.
I mean who be so enthused with a movie that he would go out and pay extra so he could have two personalized license plates "R2D2" and "CP3O". Both were Subarus, one was a Brat.

My buddy drove a brat. it was his dads. It was always funny trying to call shotgun first in order to not have to ride in the open back seats in the wintertime. Although it was fun riding back there especially if it was snowing (facing backwards)as long as you were dressed properly. The seats had cool hand bars with BMX style grips on both sides of both seats so you had something to hold onto if it got bumpy or when there were turns in the road.

60CF5D4F-4FF4-4F59-9D81-8A7EF2A9BD36 (resized).jpeg60CF5D4F-4FF4-4F59-9D81-8A7EF2A9BD36 (resized).jpegCCEA593B-FF79-4670-BF07-DEFB19CA1BEE (resized).jpegCCEA593B-FF79-4670-BF07-DEFB19CA1BEE (resized).jpeg
#323 4 years ago

A 16 oz. Busch pounder returnable and a little ganja helped us cope with the cold too!

#324 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m guessing most people view the decade of their teens-20s to be the best one that ever happened.
“Life was simpler!”
No shit! You had almost no responsibilities or real problems! You had all your hair on your head, no hair on your back, were in the best shape of your life, no weird growths...
They were magical times indeed.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m guessing most people view the decade of their teens-20s to be the best one that ever happened.
“Life was simpler!”
No shit! You had almost no responsibilities or real problems! You had all your hair on your head, no hair on your back, were in the best shape of your life, no weird growths...
They were magical times indeed.

And the Playboy magazines from the seventies. Solid.

#325 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm inclined to agree with you but I'd love to see a poll (REAL science!). Most of my teens and 20 was in the 90s, and that was a shit showed compared to the 80s.

#326 4 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

And the Playboy magazines from the seventies. Solid.

Yes!
Almost all my friends dads had stacks of playboy in the basement.
A few had penthouse or oui which were always a bit more revealing.
I think we got catv in 1979. Our house was on a flag lot with a 400 ft long driveway.
Our neighbor got cable before us and the installers were lazy and just patched us into his box that the had already run between our houses. He was a tv junky and got every channel available so we got the same channels even though we only had a basic channel package. HBO,Cinemax ,prism,the movie channel,showtime then the playboy channel around 1981.

#327 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

wait, what?

350,000+ is the guestimated official count, but when you are one of the sardines, it doesn't make much difference. Once inside people were mellow and gave you your space. I was amazed a buddy I didn't go with found me in all that.

Around ten of the most popular bands at the time, difference is the first Cal Jam showcased top English bands where this one was mostly American bands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Jam_II
CALJAM_STAGE444-690x345 (resized).jpgCALJAM_STAGE444-690x345 (resized).jpg
c01d279f3d47b30ce3cb5865592a0e4c (resized).jpgc01d279f3d47b30ce3cb5865592a0e4c (resized).jpg

0318_nws_idb-l-allen-col-0318-1-1 (resized).jpg0318_nws_idb-l-allen-col-0318-1-1 (resized).jpg

#328 4 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Yes!
Almost all my friends dads had stacks of playboy in the basement.
A few had penthouse or oui which were always a bit more revealing.
I think we got catv in 1979. Our house was on a flag lot with a 400 ft long driveway.
Our neighbor got cable before us and the installers were lazy and just patched us into his box that the had already run between our houses. He was a tv junky and got every channel available so we got the same channels even though we only had a basic channel package. HBO,Cinemax ,prism,the movie channel,showtime then the playboy channel around 1981.

Yeah! And I used to manipulate the cox cable tv dial to hover between channel 35 and 36 to get the lines to minimize and shift. I swear it was effective! So funny!

#329 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Most of my teens and 20 was in the 90s, and that was a shit showed compared to the 80s.

Most of my 30s was in the 90s and the 80s were a shit show compared to that.

Of course what I did learn from the 80s culture is how I would not want to live the rest of my life.

#330 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Speaking of Ontario Motor Speedway, Nascar when they drove cars that were not all the same.[quoted image]

And for that reason, still drew fans.

#331 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

And for that reason, still drew fans.

After Ontario closed, Nascar all but vanished from So Cal.

I've been to Fontana, probably in the early 2000s and it was pretty fun. Best race I saw there was Indy cars where there were like six cars left when it was all done.

It's been a lifelong ambition of mine to take in at least one race at Bristol.

#332 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's been a lifelong ambition of mine to take in at least one race at Bristol.

Bring your flak jacket and helmet.

IMG_3457 (resized).jpegIMG_3457 (resized).jpeg

#333 4 years ago

Been to Bristol couple times but to be honest there's not much else there but the track.

#334 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Been to Bristol couple times but to be honest there's not much else there but the track.

That's pretty much it. And a lot of mud when it rains.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#335 4 years ago

Roadtrip!

download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg
#336 4 years ago

I remember staying up late to watch the original cast of Saturday Night Live, followed by Dr. Madblood's weekly presentation of truly bad horror and sci-fi movies interspersed with over-the-top comic skits at each commercial break.

Dr_Madblood (resized).jpgDr_Madblood (resized).jpg
#337 4 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Think of how jacked up things are gonna be in 40 years or so, because you KNOW all those 50+ year old guys are gonna look back at the 2010's the way we do the 1970's.....

And the same way your parents looked back at the 50's. It's always the same, "Those damn kids and their music I don't like, the world be lucky to last another 20 years.", except in 40 years they might be half right.

#338 4 years ago

GenXrs are super busy heckling millennials now, who I have seem to have more in common with.

The baby boomers used to crap all over genX the same way.

Us in betweeners are just suburban robots that monitor reality.
fl0116-229823_1@2x (resized).jpgfl0116-229823_1@2x (resized).jpg

#339 4 years ago

I still have an old set of clackers sitting in a cigar box in my garage. Red ones.

#340 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

GenXrs are super busy heckling millennials now, who I have seem to have more in common with.
The baby boomers used to crap all over GenX the same way.
Us in betweeners are just suburban robots that monitor reality.[quoted image]

Perhaps you're right, maybe it is two generations behind that takes the heat. Makes sense since they would have less in common.

#341 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Us in betweeners are just suburban robots that monitor reality.

Common stock, we work around the clock.
We shove the poles in the holes…

14784545512_422ee72acd_b (resized).jpg14784545512_422ee72acd_b (resized).jpg
#342 4 years ago

images1971 Mach 1 (resized).jpgimages1971 Mach 1 (resized).jpg

Had to walk past a Mach 1 exactly like this every day to and from school.

#343 4 years ago

70s had some good cars.
370771 (resized).jpg370771 (resized).jpg

Quoted from pinballkim:

Perhaps you're right, maybe it is two generations behind that takes the heat.

Many cases one generation. Our family skips generations.

#344 4 years ago
Quoted from mooch:

Common stock, we work around the clock.
We shove the poles in the holes…

#345 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

70s had some good cars.
[quoted image]

Even AMC, the Chicago Coin of automakers, made a nice muscle car.

#346 4 years ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

Even AMC, the Chicago Coin of automakers, made a nice muscle car.

My buddy called them the Mr Potato Head of auto makers. A part from here, a part from there.

#347 4 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Jimmy Carter's "Crisis of Confidence" Speech, '79:
https://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/jimmycartercrisisofconfidence.htm
A challenge to the attention spans of most in the audience, I s'pose, but worthwhile and uncommon. I was just a lad, but my folks were watching and were moved. If a President today rolled out something like this, it would stun the world. Should we lament that? I say, Yes.[quoted image]

I remember being bummed when Carter lost to that old fart in the red sweater. Didn’t know anything about Carter or Reagan except I didn’t like Reagan’s old man sweater he wore when I first saw him on tv. Plus I liked Carter. We had a song about him we used to sing on the playground:

Marijuana, marijuana, pcp, pcp,
Jimmy Carter smokes it, Jimmy Carter smokes it,
Why can’t we, why can’t we.

So out went Carter and all those old rusty unsafe but fun as heck playgrounds, and in came plastic, sanitized, and safe playgrounds bought on credit. A lot of things were fixed up by Reagan with money we didn’t have. The rusty old 70s were replaced with the plastic 80s.
The old RTD buses with the glass sliding windows and pull cords for stops were replaced with the plastic brown tinted windows that pushed out and the rubber strips that you pushed to request a stop. The new bus had that grinning front bumper.

But the biggest change was that in the 70s parents let us kids do whatever we wanted to do, and in the 80s we were sanitized for our protection.

As far as cars and music, the early 70s were pretty good but quickly went downhill the rest of the decade. Ted Nugent was the worst. Cat scratch fever? WTF was that shit. How did that guy ever have a career? Even his pinball machine sucked.

#348 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The presto burger maker burgers tasted funky. The presto hot dog cookers tasted like electricity. You had to bend the hotdogs in an arc and stick each end of the dog onto a metal spike thus completing the circuit. There was a decent chance the hot dog would break during the process. I actually liked the electric taste and smell. With the advent of the microwave, the hot dog cookers went away.

#349 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

With the advent of the microwave, the hot dog cookers went away

Wow made some memories come back. Mom had one of those hotdog cookers that looked like a rotisserie and she would always sell them for a nickel at her yard sales. lol Seems like it took awhile to get them hot as it was just a sunlamp type light that cooked them. She always said that it got more people over to her sales.

#350 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

So out went Carter and all those old rusty unsafe but fun as heck playgrounds, and in came plastic, sanitized, and safe playgrounds bought on credit. A lot of things were fixed up by Reagan with money we didn’t have. The rusty old 70s were replaced with the plastic 80s.

JC2 (resized).jpgJC2 (resized).jpg
There are 745 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-magical-1970s/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.