IMG_5425 (resized).JPG
01ce29e2-d015-4fee-8e82-4a1a9810fb81 (resized).jpg
62127550_10219186189627968_1757269973484437504_o (resized).jpg
62361807_10219186178867699_6647752051491078144_o (resized).jpg
F9987094-6055-44F8-BA88-BF6B8FD31ADC (resized).jpeg
FullSizeR (resized).jpg
UA Twin Cerritos (resized).jpg
FD9B0514-5DD4-4177-A007-43F0C854B2F4 (resized).jpeg
There are 745 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 15.
#651 4 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Anyone else have a hippity hop?

The girl next door had one. I used to like to watch her bounce.

#652 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I opened up a box last night.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'm sure those original Disney maps are worth something .

#653 4 years ago

20180701_082326 (resized).jpg20180701_082326 (resized).jpg

Cars , i have a 74' , were these ever cool ?
First car at 16

#654 4 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

[quoted image]
Cars , i have a 74' , were these ever cool ?
First car at 16

2001 or 2002? And I don't mean model year....

#655 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The kids owned our street. Cars had to wait until the next out if we were playing baseball.

in Canada it was street hockey , " car ! "

#656 4 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

I'm sure those original Disney maps are worth something .

Yes, it is worth taking out of the box every twenty years. I also got a kick out of thumbing thru some of those old Mad books.

#657 4 years ago

#658 4 years ago

It's interesting to go to google and type:

"Why were the 70s"... and see what the options are, same for 60s and 80s

#659 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, it is worth taking out of the box every twenty years. I also got a kick out of thumbing thru some of those old Mad books.

It's good to know Sergio Aragones is still around and doing comics. Here he is at San Diego Comic Con this past July:
IMG_1577 (resized).jpgIMG_1577 (resized).jpg

#660 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The kids owned our street. Cars had to wait until the next out if we were playing baseball.

The kids in my neighborhood were very serious about racing wooden go carts.
Cypress rd. was our hill of choice, and yes, a few times cars had to wait for us.

go cart (resized).jpggo cart (resized).jpg
#661 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

2001 or 2002? And I don't mean model year....

2002 manual 5 speed

#662 4 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

It's good to know Sergio Aragones is still around and doing comics. Here he is at San Diego Comic Con this past July:
[quoted image]

He's about the only one left, right? I liked them all. Dave Berg drew some great characters that looked like people in real life and was hilarious.

For me though, Don Martin was the man!

one-summer-day-in-the-operating-room-don-martin (resized).jpgone-summer-day-in-the-operating-room-don-martin (resized).jpg
#663 4 years ago

I've owned several vehicles from the 70s and although not a big fan of English built cars, I couldn't resist picking one of these up when the opportunity presented itself.

It was super fast and fun to drive, but a real challenge to adjust the valves and stop any oil leaks.
74-Jensen-JH5-193-940x705 (resized).jpg74-Jensen-JH5-193-940x705 (resized).jpg1974-Jensen-Healey-motor-engine (resized).jpg1974-Jensen-Healey-motor-engine (resized).jpg

#664 4 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Anyone else have a hippity hop?

Yes !!!
they were awesome to use on a concrete basement or garage floor-but it hurt like hell if you miss judged and lost your balance only to slam onto the floor.

Sit and spin was also cool as were big wheels and green machines. We had a couple big hills in our neighbor hood and you could really get going fast. Sometimes we would get a group of 5 or 6 of us together and have mad max/Chinese downhill anything goes races.
Good times and amazingly no one ever got hurt more than a little road rash!!!

E21BD3D9-F43E-4AB7-8AEC-479B6ABE9296 (resized).jpegE21BD3D9-F43E-4AB7-8AEC-479B6ABE9296 (resized).jpeg
#665 4 years ago
Quoted from luch:

in Canada it was street hockey , " car ! "

We would play roller hockey in some of our friends basements that had lots of room and weren’t filled with junk.

#666 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

He's about the only one left, right? I liked them all. Dave Berg drew some great characters that looked like people in real life and was hilarious.
For me though, Don Martin was the man![quoted image]

Most of the classic MAD Magazine artist and writers are gone now. But I was surprised to find that Mort Drucker is still around (For those of you who aren't familiar with him, he drew a lot of the movie and T.V. parodies in MAD, also many of the covers and he also worked at DC comics in the '60s)

#667 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've owned several vehicles from the 70s and although not a big fan of English built cars, I couldn't resist picking one of these up when the opportunity presented itself.
It was super fast and fun to drive, but a real challenge to adjust the valves and stop any oil leaks.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That machine looks really clean... Looks like something you might see in a car show..

#668 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

That machine looks really clean... Looks like something you might see in a car show..

That wasn't mine but looked almost like it. Solid ride.

#669 4 years ago

Eight picture from the top on the first post isn't from the 70s.

It's from a movie SET in the 70's: "Dick" about Nixon. Starring Kirsten Dunst and Michelle Williams, who are the women in the photograph.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_(film)

Just sayin'.

#670 4 years ago

We've got scenes from Dazed and Confused too. A movie from the 1990s.

#671 4 years ago

The contents of my bedroom, circa '76 - '79.
AMT (resized).jpgAMT (resized).jpgMicronauts_Catalog_1977_Cover (resized).jpgMicronauts_Catalog_1977_Cover (resized).jpgTO (resized).jpgTO (resized).jpgX-Men-094 (resized).jpgX-Men-094 (resized).jpgbatgal (resized).jpgbatgal (resized).jpgbg (resized).jpgbg (resized).jpgcheryl-tiegs-1980,mg0083044 (resized).jpgcheryl-tiegs-1980,mg0083044 (resized).jpgkan (resized).jpgkan (resized).jpglotr (resized).jpglotr (resized).jpgsnake (resized).jpgsnake (resized).jpgstyx (resized).jpgstyx (resized).jpg
800 (resized).jpg800 (resized).jpg

#672 4 years ago

The 70s

When Willie Nelson was toking a doobie on The White House roof.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/rgpdjb/willie-nelson-weed-jimmy-carters-son

When President Jimmy Carter interviewed with Playboy magazine.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/national/the-time-jimmy-carter-was-interviewed-playboy-about-lust/1nDH1lhbMuOjqx7NRkQLpI/

When "seeds and stems" was a regular part of the vocabulary.

There was even a song written about this bummer of a situation.

#673 4 years ago

Did you checked your 70s pot for---PARAQUAT?

20191008_092546 (resized).jpg20191008_092546 (resized).jpg
#674 4 years ago

70s story. Went to friends house overlooking the beach at T street. Friends are sitting there with what looked like pomegranate seeds. They said they were morning glory seeds, and that they grow wild on the beach. Night before 8 guys ate these seeds and 4 ended up in jail from hallucinogenic effects. I laughed because I thought they were fuckin with me. So I ate some. My 16 yr old brain might not have been fully developed yet. We drive up to a condo about 25 minutes away. Around 2 or so hours later we're doing something in the living room, a friend starts to take his clothes off. He goes outside, turns on the hose and stands under the water and tells us he's taking a shower. In the guys front lawn. So now I'm thinking shit I hope he ate more than me. We get my friend back in the house. Half hour later he gets up and WALKS HOME. I was in the best shape of us and I went after him. And came on these things like I've never fried before. I got lost, went back to where I thought the condo was and knocked on a door. Then jiggled the lock to see if unlocked. Nope. Locked. Started to walk back to street and a linebacker tackles me thinking I'm a burglar or something. I end up in juvenile hall for the night. My friend walks 30 miles home, and I get arrested getting lost not far from the condo. And kept the 50% ratio of taking them to getting arrested. One guy said, "I was in bed when dumbshit over here gets the cops called to the house. I get out of bed, walk outside and I'm in custody in less than a minute". Damn. Pretty sure that was the only weekend of frying on these things from locals. I'm lucky I didn't go blind from morning glory seeds.

#675 4 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Yes !!!
they were awesome to use on a concrete basement or garage floor-but it hurt like hell if you miss judged and lost your balance only to slam onto the floor.
Sit and spin was also cool as were big wheels and green machines. We had a couple big hills in our neighbor hood and you could really get going fast. Sometimes we would get a group of 5 or 6 of us together and have mad max/Chinese downhill anything goes races.
Good times and amazingly no one ever got hurt more than a little road rash!!![quoted image]

Love the Green machine!! Owning a Green machine was my goal in life in 1978, but by the fall of 1979 my attention turned to the schwinn scrambler. Two kids in the neighborhood had one that were black and yellow. It was the first time I ever saw mag wheels on a bmx bike. After that I was hooked and I ended up in the 80s getting heavily into riding dirt track and quarter pipe ramps.

Screenshot_20191006-085703_Photo Editor (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191006-085703_Photo Editor (resized).jpg
#676 4 years ago

It was probably a magical night for my parents. It’s to which the era I was born. 1973 to be precise.

#677 4 years ago

The other hobby that started for me In the 70s. The first pinball machine I remember playing.

Screenshot_20191006-090315_Google (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191006-090315_Google (resized).jpg
#678 4 years ago

Ahh Gorgor. It was a magical time when our local Aladdin's Castle brought in Gorgor. Everybody was constantly crowding around it, I had to wait a few days before I got my chance. I remember a bigger kid picked my token up off the glass and played it and shrugged it off when I called him out. Not cool.

#679 4 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

I remember a bigger kid picked my token up off the glass and played it and shrugged it off when I called him out. Not cool.

He’s probably the same guy asking you if you want the under wash while he collects your money for a car wash.

#680 4 years ago

Just a couple of Wild And Crazy Guys lovin' the 70's

Wild and Crazy Guys (resized).jpgWild and Crazy Guys (resized).jpg
#681 4 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Love the Green machine!! Owning a Green machine was my goal in life in 1978, but by the fall of 1979 my attention turned to the schwinn scrambler. Two kids in the neighborhood had one that were black and yellow. It was the first time I ever saw mag wheels on a bmx bike. After that I was hooked and I ended up in the 80s getting heavily into riding dirt track and quarter pipe ramps.[quoted image]

4C17362C-754E-42A9-A5FA-3A9718AEF705 (resized).png4C17362C-754E-42A9-A5FA-3A9718AEF705 (resized).pngB54470F9-4F02-4935-AAC6-A3DF2144DEC0 (resized).jpegB54470F9-4F02-4935-AAC6-A3DF2144DEC0 (resized).jpeg
#682 4 years ago

The Ross Snapper from '78 I posted back on page 3 had Tuff Wheel 1s. They were super strong, but man were they heavy! Ok for bicycle motocross, but for freestyle or the half-pipe, they just didn't cut it. It's pretty cool that they are still in business, though.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-magical-1970s/page/3#post-5229955

#684 4 years ago

Ahh Gorgor. It was a magical time when our local Aladdin's Castle brought in Gorgor. Everybody was constantly crowding around it, I had to wait a few days before I got my chance. I remember a bigger kid picked my token up off the glass and played it and shrugged it off when I called him out. Not cool.

That was a common occurrence in the arcade during the 70s and early 80s. The older kids would either steal your quarter if you put it on the game or else just push you off the game while you were playing it. Kids weren’t considered special or untouchable back then. Noone cared if you got swatted by some Odin type 20 year old when you were 10 or 12 years old. I would like to ask all those now 55-60 year old men why they felt the need to be such scumbags back then.

#685 4 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

The Ross Snapper from '78 I posted back on page 3 had Tuff Wheel 1s. They were super strong, but man were they heavy! Ok for bicycle motocross, but for freestyle or the half-pipe, they just didn't cut it. It's pretty cool that they are still in business, though.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-magical-1970s/page/3#post-5229955

I was shocked to read they still made these until 2017.
Does anyone remember what they cost?
I vaguely remember them costing about $120 in 1979 when I got a pair for my bike.
I definitely recall that It took quite a bit of lawn mowing to pay for them. My buddies and I would ride our bikes to Odyssey Land which was the arcade a couple miles from our neighborhood.

#686 4 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I always loved the skyway tuff wheels. That ad is surprising!! I had no idea they were around that long and I didn't realize that was what was on the scrambler. . I thought they only came about in the early 80s. Skyway made a badass double crossbar, handlebar set too.

#688 4 years ago

I remember a bigger kid picked my token up off the glass and played it and shrugged it off when I called him out. Not cool.

Not cool at all.

I've always watched out for bigger bullies messing with smaller customers. That bully would have been out of here so fast he wouldn't know what happened. And the customer would have gotten his quarter back or credits on the game.

I always tell customers, especially kids. "If you have any questions or problems, please let me know". I don't expect a smaller person to confront a bully. That's my job. And if a kid is afraid of repercussions, I'll let them know I won't involve them. I'll make something up and then run the bully out for that.

LTG : )

#689 4 years ago

Life has a way of catching up with shitheads like that. Eventually they pull that shit with the wrong person at the wrong time, and get a good comeuppance. I’ve seen it happen, always entertaining to watch.

#690 4 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I was surprised to find that Mort Drucker is still around (For those of you who aren't familiar with him, he drew a lot of the movie and T.V. parodies in MAD, also many of the covers and he also worked at DC comics in the '60s)

Glad to hear it, he was always my favorite. A very talented artist, but everything he did was "off" in some way and fit perfectly into Mad Magazine as a result. I'll have to check out some of his earlier DC stuff, would be interesting to see his take on "serious" comic art.

#691 4 years ago

Earlier in this thread I posted a picture of myself kneeling next to a surfboard and a bunch of 8 Tracks.

I clearly remember this is what was burning up that turntable about that time.

#692 4 years ago

Yep, had me one of them...

300B78A9-944D-416C-BAE5-90F69414BD8C (resized).jpeg300B78A9-944D-416C-BAE5-90F69414BD8C (resized).jpeg
#693 4 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Yep, had me one of them...[quoted image]

That pic of you and the bike just reminded me of something from the 70s. Those socks. Those were the socks of the 70s right there baby. With the stripes. That’s what we wore.

#694 4 years ago

Having a bicycle and knowing what time to be home, was most fun I had during the 1970's.

In the summer the street lights don't come on until 9:50 PM or later, in some areas of Canada. In the winter the lights will be on by 5:00 PM or so. So when the parents stated, "Be home when the streets light go on." Wasn't always the rule.

Mattel, AMT, TYCO, Parker Brothers, were the toys and models that were part of the 1970's, and kept us entertained when it was raining outside.

#695 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

That pic of you and the bike just reminded me of something from the 70s. Those socks. Those were the socks of the 70s right there baby. With the stripes. That’s what we wore.

Yep ... livin’ on the edge. I was thinking the same thing when I posted ... should have mentioned them, Puma sneakers, and my crazy Daisy Duke cutoffs. I also had industrial strength braces they used to hit us with back then ... made me look like Jaws when I smiled...
F6999695-04F5-4DBE-9067-B847D82F49DD (resized).jpegF6999695-04F5-4DBE-9067-B847D82F49DD (resized).jpeg

#696 4 years ago

The shorts of course look totally ridiculous and would get you mercilessly taunted nowadays. But hard as it may be to believe, that was totally how everyone did it in the 70s. That was completely normal. Again, you had to be there.

#697 4 years ago

anyone remember what ADIDAS stood for?

#699 4 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Why do you think my grades where so good. Lol

#700 4 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

I'm still trying to figure out what PF stands for.

flyers_feat (resized).jpgflyers_feat (resized).jpg
There are 745 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-magical-1970s/page/14?hl=jtm3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.