IMG_5425 (resized).JPG
01ce29e2-d015-4fee-8e82-4a1a9810fb81 (resized).jpg
62127550_10219186189627968_1757269973484437504_o (resized).jpg
62361807_10219186178867699_6647752051491078144_o (resized).jpg
F9987094-6055-44F8-BA88-BF6B8FD31ADC (resized).jpeg
FullSizeR (resized).jpg
UA Twin Cerritos (resized).jpg
FD9B0514-5DD4-4177-A007-43F0C854B2F4 (resized).jpeg
There are 745 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 15.
#601 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

But do you think that might have been because you were older and less easily impressed? I know for me so many things are deflated now that I have an understanding of how things work (damn TV show).

It really is amazing how everything in the entire universe was way cooler when Odin was 15 than it is now that he's 60. Probably just a coincidence.

#602 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

But do you think that might have been because you were older and less easily impressed? I know for me so many things are deflated now that I have an understanding of how things work (damn TV show).

Nope. I just watched a 15 minute video why Tomorrowland's 1998 makeover was a fail.

It was planned as an entire Tomorrowland 2055 themed land with a complete makeover and new rides, but they had money issues if you can believe that, because Euro Disneyland was a financial disaster when it opened, so they basically painted the old Tomorrowland to look like Discoveryland Paris. And meanwhile took out most of the beloved attractions that used to be there. And the new ride, the Rocket Rods that replaced the People Mover broke down and was removed shortly thereafter.

#603 4 years ago

The 70s were all right, not as good as the 60s, but the 70s, at least the first half was pretty cool. Only problem was the SSS.

#604 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It really is amazing how everything in the entire universe was way cooler when Odin was 15 than it is now that he's 60. Probably just a coincidence.

Not at all. I am more impressed with Twisted Colossus now than I ever was when that rickety old Colossus first opened. Rides like Tatsu and Goliath didn't even exist back then although there were some memorable coasters.

It's Disneyland that failed with their Tomorrowland makeover. Although they have upgraded it a bit since then, none of the overhead attractions like the Peoplemover, the Skyway, or the Rocket Jets are there any more. Rides in the sky are history, but there is still the elevated, decaying old Peoplemover track for people to marvel over.

#605 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not at all. I am more impressed with Twisted Colossus now than I ever was when that rickety old Colossus first opened. Rides like Tatsu and Goliath didn't even exist back then although there were some memorable coasters.
It's Disneyland that failed with their Tomorrowland makeover. Although they have upgraded it a bit since then, none of the overhead attractions like the Peoplemover, the Skyway, or the Rocket Jets are there any more. Rides in the sky are history, but there is still a decaying old Peoplemover track for people to marvel over.

Disneyland has gone to shit.

It used to be so cool, but now it’s all about the money.

They took out all the classic rides/attractions, and replaced them with shitters. My Mrs is a big Disney fan, and she doesn’t even want to go there any more.

When they took out the Country Bears, and replaced them with that crappy Winnie the poo kids ride, that was the last straw.

When Knotts tickets are $35 and Disney tickets are $129, that tells the story.

And get off my lawn. Lol

rd

#606 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

When they took out the Country Bears, and replaced them with that crappy Winnie the poo kids ride, that was the last straw.

Country Bears when it opened was the beginning of the end. lol.

We can always do Magic Mountain and or Knotts when you are in town.

Perhaps riding X-2 again will help take out that kink in the neck it provides.

#607 4 years ago

What I recall, most of all, was 20,000 leagues under the sea. Returned with my kids many years later and the ride was shut down for maintenance or something. I also recall the cars that I got to drive, which was the 1st time I ever drove a car myself. Also the haunted mansion which I recall being very cold on a hot day. And riding the monorail and train, that was cool. When my family went back, we rode that ride about "Its a small world" and everybody was creeped out.

#608 4 years ago

Taking the buckets through the matterhorn was one of my favorite things to do at Disneyland.
Was a great place when I was a kid. Helped that Grandpa worked there at the time.

-Hans

#609 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

When my family went back, we rode that ride about "Its a small world" and everybody was creeped out.

That's what replaced the Midget Autopia.

There was at one time three different Autopias, down to one now, the most recent still running dirty gas engines last time I was there. Only a matter of time before that goes away too.

#610 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Disneyland has gone to shit.
It used to be so cool, but now it’s all about the money.
They took out all the classic rides/attractions, and replaced them with shitters. My Mrs is a big Disney fan, and she doesn’t even want to go there any more.
When Knotts tickets are $35 and Disney tickets are $129, that tells the story.
And get off my lawn. Lol
rd

Yeah you pretty much nailed it. That Winnie The Pooh ride sucks. I’m always imagining imagineers sitting around painting onto wood cutouts made with a jigsaw, wondering what happened to their lives. The only highlight of the ride is twisting around to look up at what’s left of Country Bear.

I don’t know how much of it is get off my lawn or long lost nostalgia but the whole place seems rotten tHese days. My memories of the 70s are all of fun times there, but as has been pointed out most of the cool stuff is long gone. Sure you still have Pirates and Haunted Mansion, and surely I still enjoy going on those despite the fact I have done them about a thousand times. We won’t even mention the changes made to both of those rides over recent years....

Other than that I dread it every time I have to go there, which is a lot. There’s nothing worse than living right near it and with a bunch of annual pass holders who can’t ever seem to get enough of the place.

That said, I haven’t been to the new a Star Wars land yet. I don’t have a particular burning desire to go there but it will happen sooner than later. And I’m a big Star Wars fan. Those 3 Star Wars movies they made are great!

#611 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

That said, I haven’t been to the new a Star Wars land yet. I don’t have a particular burning desire to go there but it will happen sooner than later. And I’m a big Star Wars fan. Those 3 Star Wars movies they made are great!

I have it on good authority from my friend the annual pass holder, it is a dud. The waits and reservations to get in there turned to ghost town after a few short weeks. They might as well have left the all you can eat BBQ or the goat petting zoo there.

However, I had a couple friends from out of state visit, and they seemed to like it.

#612 4 years ago

Yep, same report I got from the pass holders when they went.

More Disney stuff, I had to look this up, memories are so dusty! The ticket books were used all the way through the 70s. Who remembers having a drawer somewhere that had a bunch of those A, B, and C tickets you never used? E’s were gold!

#613 4 years ago

Left quite an impression on our first trip to Disneyland in the 77’ Pinto. Good times.
3CEDAFDF-78E1-4DDB-87F7-D702ACC1BD56 (resized).jpeg3CEDAFDF-78E1-4DDB-87F7-D702ACC1BD56 (resized).jpeg

#614 4 years ago

The 70's...

When you could give your 8 yr old kid some of your beer and not get arrested.

The telephone cord that stretched from the kitchen all the way to the living room.

3 kids riding in the "way back" of the station wagon, zero seatbelts.

Having a bike meant you could go anywhere and be gone all day as long as you were home for dinner.

Stevie wonder and Elton John on the radio

#615 4 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

3 kids riding in the "way back" of the station wagon, zero seatbelts.

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg
#616 4 years ago

I too get misty-eyed for a time when children were far more likely to get killed by a drunk driver while crammed into a car without wearing a seatbelt.

They were simpler times.

#617 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I too get misty-eyed for a time when children were far more likely to get killed by a drunk driver while crammed into a car without wearing a seatbelt.
They were simpler times.

That got me thinking about some of the drivers ed movies they used to show us like Red Asphalt. But they got nothing on some of the older ones like Traffic With The Devil from the 1940s I happened to record off Turner and watch last week. Looking forward to watching The Bottle and the Throttle next.

#618 4 years ago

We didn't get movies but the cop came in to the assembly hall and showed us an hour of mangled drivers who weren't wearing seat belts.

Good times.

#619 4 years ago

My first job in 1974 was here:

Carrolls_Restaurant (resized).jpgCarrolls_Restaurant (resized).jpg
#620 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I too get misty-eyed for a time when children were far more likely to get killed by a drunk driver while crammed into a car without wearing a seatbelt. They were simpler times.

I was never worried in the 70's about being hit by a drunk driver. To me the real threat came from inside the car when all of the adults were smoking and refused to roll the windows down because it was too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter. I still get a full body shiver thinking of those road trips arriving with pink eyes looking like an albino rabbit. Good times indeed! Some comedian said one time "Be nice to smokers, they're a dying breed."

Seat belts in 60's and most 70's cars were not the retractable type seat belts we have today, they were hard fixed to the frame. A good friend of mine was a paramedic in 70's and by his estimation figured that with shoulder/lap belts it was a 50/50 chance that in an accident they hurt or save you. A vehicle with lap belts only was a guarantee that you're going to be worse off wearing it.

#621 4 years ago
Quoted from pinfixer:

I was never worried in the 70's about being hit by a drunk driver. To me the real threat came from inside the car when all of the adults were smoking and refused to roll the windows down because it was too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter. I still get a full body shiver thinking of those road trips arriving with pink eyes looking like an albino rabbit. Good times indeed! Some comedian said one time "Be nice to smokers, they're a dying breed."
Seat belts in 60's and most 70's cars were not the retractable type seat belts we have today, they were hard fixed to the frame. A good friend of mine was a paramedic in 70's and by his estimation figured that with shoulder/lap belts it was a 50/50 chance that in an accident they hurt or save you. A vehicle with lap belts only was a guarantee that you're going to be worse off wearing it.

Yeah "you don't have to wear seatbelts in the back seat" was a pretty standard refrain.

I didn't realize the 3-points in the front were dangerous.

#622 4 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

The 70's...
When you could give your 8 yr old kid some of your beer and not get arrested.

1978-I'm 18 and my mom gets me a part time job at the liquor store next to where she worked. I came home with the keys to the store. Promoted to running the store in 1 day. I asked the manager who left at 2 pm and put me in charge to close at 10 pm if I could pay for a 6 pack and take it home. He respond, "You pay for what you drink while your working". I was puzzled, and not sure he understood me. He then insulted me so bad I've never forgot him saying, "I've met a few of your family. I'm sorry they dropped you as a child". And repeated to me, "You pay for what you drink while working". The guy is leaving an 18 year old the keys to the store and tells him he can drink while working if he pays for it. My god. My best friend and I ran one of the busiest liquor stores in San Clemente after 2 pm and we're 18. I remember blaring Led Zeppelin in my car and went into the store where it was playing even louder. Place was out of control with us in control.

#623 4 years ago

In the 70s even riding in the bed, we no worry about accidents.

tumblr_pdf0m2pJJP1qep2npo2_400 (resized).jpgtumblr_pdf0m2pJJP1qep2npo2_400 (resized).jpg
#624 4 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

1978-I'm 18 and my mom gets me a part time job at the liquor store next to where she worked. I came home with the keys to the store. Promoted to running the store in 1 day. I asked the manager who left at 2 pm and put me in charge to close at 10 pm if I could pay for a 6 pack and take it home. He respond, "You pay for what you drink while your working". I was puzzled, and not sure he understood me. He then insulted me so bad I've never forgot him saying, "I've met a few of your family. I'm sorry they dropped you as a child". And repeated to me, "You pay for what you drink while working". The guy is leaving an 18 year old the keys to the store and tells him he can drink while working if he pays for it. My god. My best friend and I ran one of the busiest liquor stores in San Clemente after 2 pm and we're 18. I remember blaring Led Zeppelin in my car and went into the store where it was playing even louder. Place was out of control with us in control.

LMAO

could be the start for a Dazed and Confused style script.

#625 4 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

1978-I'm 18 and my mom gets me a part time job at the liquor store next to where she worked. I came home with the keys to the store. Promoted to running the store in 1 day.

I had a job at a liquor store age 14-17 and they would leave me alone to run the place often. The old men didn't seem to care if they were buying their Burgie or Thunderbird from a 14 year old or not. Job had a lot of perks too.

#626 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That got me thinking about some of the drivers ed movies they used to show us like Red Asphalt. But they got nothing on some of the older ones like Traffic With The Devil from the 1940s I happened to record off Turner and watch last week. Looking forward to watching The Bottle and the Throttle next.

Now that you mention it, although it was the 60s and the Highway Patrol movie was made in 1959, Signal 30, in all of its gory and blood is on You Tube.

Also Wheels of Agony.

I’m going to have to search for yours.

Morbid revelation: I watch these old car crash movies with dead people and think in terms of “damn, that was 1957 Thunderbird that was crashed into a heap of junk”.

#627 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Now that you mention it, although it was the 60s and the Highway Patrol movie was made in 1959, Signal 30, in all of its gory and blood is on You Tube.

Yes, I know a lot of this is stuff from before the 70s, but we watched a lot of reruns in that decade.

#628 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, I know a lot of this is stuff from before the 70s, but we watched a lot of reruns in that decade.

#629 4 years ago

I can remember in the early 70's parents used to send their kid up to my Mom and Dads bar with a milk jug to get beer in for them. They'd get it and walk right down the sidewalk home and no one ever said a word. They'd lock you up and strip your license if you tried that today. Hell I used to be sent down to the local store with a note from my Dad or Mom and pick them up a carton of cigs damn near every week and never had a problem, times have certainly changed, some for better and some for the worst.

#630 4 years ago

Yes, the only thing that was difficult to buy was model glue.

#631 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That got me thinking about some of the drivers ed movies they used to show us

I got a kick out of those movies. Teachers hated us cheering them on.

Now if they skipped the movies and said something about your random acts of stupidity coming back in nightmares. Now that I might have listened too.

Nothing like waking up reliving rolling a car four or five times, or in a cold sweat flying off a motorcycle.

LTG : )

#632 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Nothing like waking up reliving rolling a car four or five times, or in a cold sweat flying off a motorcycle.

Or driving off a cliff in my Galaxie 500, or even flipping a Boston Whaler and watching that 50 horse Mercury prop spinning out of control waiting for it to come down and hit me and slice me to pieces.

Good times indeed.

#633 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I might add. For me anyway. In real life it seemed like it was happening in slow motion. In nightmares it's always full speed.

#634 4 years ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

Great story!

I had a summer job at IBM in the summer of 1978. They had me team up with a different full timer every day and we got hammered at lunch every day. I had other jobs back then where it was common to drink at work.

#635 4 years ago

Funny, I mentioned not getting in an accident in that F-250, until Sam, the guy that owned it rolled it on the freeway with nobody else in it.

#636 4 years ago
Quoted from pinfixer:

To me the real threat came from inside the car when all of the adults were smoking and refused to roll the windows down because it was too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter. I still get a full body shiver thinking of those road trips arriving with pink eyes looking like an albino rabbit. Good times indeed!<

I remember in the 70’s flying on a plane and half the frigging adults on the plane were smoking cigarettes. WTF

#638 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

In the 70s even riding in the bed, we no worry about accidents.[quoted image]

My dad had a 77 F250. I remember my mom calling the state police to see if it was ok for 3 of us to ride in the back on the Pennsylvania turnpike. The officer said that’s not a problem at all but thanks for checking !

#639 4 years ago
Quoted from SteveO:

Great story!
I had a summer job at IBM in the summer of 1978. They had me team up with a different full timer every day and we got hammered at lunch every day. I had other jobs back then where it was common to drink at work.

Reminds me of the factory job I got right outta High School. Get paid on Friday morning, pile in the car for lunch and drive to the corner tavern. Cash the paycheck, chow down 2 hot beef sandwiches, chug beer and back to work within 30 minutes. Never got any grief because the foreman sometimes came along too! Good Times!

#640 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LMAO
could be the start for a Dazed and Confused style script.

This has to be one of the best lines I overheard in 70s. Outside a party where a local girl has brought her new boyfriend from out of the area, "I may have fucked most of em, but I haven't fucked em all". My buddy and I looked at each other and laughed so hard they almost heard us burglerizing their conversation.

#641 4 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

The officer said that’s not a problem at all

Not his kids. What does he care ?

#642 4 years ago

Safe.

449e653c7eccb00012ffe56689ba7e8d (resized).jpg449e653c7eccb00012ffe56689ba7e8d (resized).jpg
#643 4 years ago
the-1970s-nohelmets-no-kneepads-no-brakes-no-over-cautious-6300178 (resized).pngthe-1970s-nohelmets-no-kneepads-no-brakes-no-over-cautious-6300178 (resized).png
#644 4 years ago

In the USA, that was into the early '90's. Later for Europe and even later for Japan.

#645 4 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

My dad had a 77 F250. I remember my mom calling the state police to see if it was ok for 3 of us to ride in the back on the Pennsylvania turnpike. The officer said that’s not a problem at all but thanks for checking !

America's First Superhighway......

#646 4 years ago

The golden age of Mad Magazine.

1973-Clockwork-Orange (resized).jpg1973-Clockwork-Orange (resized).jpg61J3Z77AS0L (resized).jpg61J3Z77AS0L (resized).jpgmad6 (resized).jpgmad6 (resized).jpgMad-Magazine-Super-Special-20-1976-Good-Cond (resized).jpgMad-Magazine-Super-Special-20-1976-Good-Cond (resized).jpgs-l640 (resized).jpgs-l640 (resized).jpg
#647 4 years ago

When my dad would get mad at me or thought I did something stupid, he would yell "go play in the street", implying that I should go outside, leave him alone and that he hoped that I would get hurt in the process.
No one dared to get in the street cause it was dangerous and if you were crossing the street even close to a car, drivers would lay on the horn and kids would scatter, because no one wanted to take a chance of hitting some kids with their car.
Now, kids walk in the street and dare you to hit them.
What happened?

#648 4 years ago

The kids owned our street. Cars had to wait until the next out if we were playing baseball.

#649 4 years ago
Quoted from tullster:

Reminds me of the factory job I got right outta High School. Get paid on Friday morning, pile in the car for lunch and drive to the corner tavern. Cash the paycheck, chow down 2 hot beef sandwiches, chug beer and back to work within 30 minutes. Never got any grief because the foreman sometimes came along too! Good Times!

Worked at Caldors in high school. On weekends, we would go to the neighboring Steak & Stein for lunch and get soused.

Worked in Marshall’s my last year of hs and a few months of my first summer from college. Used to go to the local pizza bar with the managers and get loaded. No one cared. Just part of life.

Things were mostly better. Not necessarily safer.

#650 4 years ago

Anyone else have a hippity hop?

There are 745 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-magical-1970s/page/13?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.