IMG_5425 (resized).JPG
01ce29e2-d015-4fee-8e82-4a1a9810fb81 (resized).jpg
62127550_10219186189627968_1757269973484437504_o (resized).jpg
62361807_10219186178867699_6647752051491078144_o (resized).jpg
F9987094-6055-44F8-BA88-BF6B8FD31ADC (resized).jpeg
FullSizeR (resized).jpg
UA Twin Cerritos (resized).jpg
FD9B0514-5DD4-4177-A007-43F0C854B2F4 (resized).jpeg

There are 745 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 15.
#501 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If that Tiger Tank is your build you do some amazing work.

No. Those were the pics they used to show what you are getting. It wasn't actually cut away like that. Timaya did take model building to new level.

#502 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Timaya did take model building to new level.

Still do! They have a "full view" line of models, I've done many of them. Here is the Lexus LFA, normal and full view.

20191010_095143 (resized).jpg20191010_095143 (resized).jpg20191010_095150 (resized).jpg20191010_095150 (resized).jpg20191010_095153 (resized).jpg20191010_095153 (resized).jpg
#503 4 years ago

Yes, I revisited Tamiya in the 90s.
6f853d516d0542b6bdfd3be2bcce3da9 (resized).jpg6f853d516d0542b6bdfd3be2bcce3da9 (resized).jpg

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

#504 4 years ago

The Super Blackfoot was a great platform, but the body was too rigid for excessive jumping. So my buddy taught me the trick. K-Mart sold cheap soft plastic toy cars of the same scale, so I picked up a #43 Richard Petty special and used that body. Now it was good for jumping 20 feet.

#505 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I started out with a 1968 AMT AMC Ambassador I believe. Most model kits in the 70s were under $5.
This is a rare item now, but was the swan song of my model building career in the mid 70s.
A Tamiya 1/25 scale Tiger 1, fully detailed inside and out. So intricate, each track was a separate piece that snapped together and had fully functional torsion bar suspension. Came in a big box.
Price $17. Half my month's paper route money.
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

That is too awesome. I had the King Tiger tank that had 2 motors so you could control and turn it. Tamiya was the best model maker by far. I had a whole Japanese navy of Tamiya ships in my room. Aircraft carriers , battleships and all the way down to destroyers. Me and my best friend would have wars against each other.

#506 4 years ago

I never built models, but I did get an erector set as a kid. There was a book with ideas in it and I built something from every page. It included a motor that worked and I was always building something.

#507 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

but I did get an erector set as a kid.

I had that. And a chemistry set too. Combined you could build stuff and blow it up too, or at least light it on fire like Lincoln logs.

LTG : )

#508 4 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

I had the King Tiger tank that had 2 motors so you could control and turn it. Tamiya was the best model maker by far.

That thing was super cool but a little rich for my blood at the time. Not sure but I remember it being north of $30, perhaps close to $50. I did have some motorized tanks though.

I also remember if you built a Revell tank like the Walker Bulldog, it would come with defective men in the goofiest poses. One even had a hole thru his gut, that looked like a cannon had blown a hole right thru him. lol

Quoted from LTG:

you could build stuff and blow it up too

What do you think happened to my tank models?

#509 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What do you think happened to my tank models?

They lost the war. They should have picked a better side.

#510 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I had that. And a chemistry set too. Combined you could build stuff and blow it up too, or at least light it on fire like Lincoln logs.

I never got a chemistry set, but I did have access to Draino, tin foil and a gallon glass coke bottle. Just put about 4 tablespoons of Draino in the bottle and fill with a sufficient quantity of tin foil with water. Draino mainly creates sulfuric acid and the reaction with tin foil gets rather hot, so we put the coke bottle in a bucket of cold water to keep it from exploding. The chemical reaction creates hydrogen, which can be collected with a rubber balloon on top of the coke bottle. Hydrogen is both lighter than air and flammable, so we would play with that. Typically, people would gather in the area to see what exploded. No one ever got hurt, but we did damage some coke bottles.

#511 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

They lost the war. They should have picked a better side.

When I was cleaning out dad's house after he passed away, I found a very old beat up piece of furniture in the garage. I took it to an antique store and the guy said it dated back to the Civil Wa. I asked North or South?

He said "South obviously, can't you tell it lost?"

#512 4 years ago

WKRP in Cincinnati 1978

WKRP (resized).jpgWKRP (resized).jpg
#513 4 years ago

We’re closing on thanksgiving both sides of the border. Time for a turkey drop!!

#514 4 years ago
taxi-cast-750x400 (resized).jpgtaxi-cast-750x400 (resized).jpg
#515 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

I never got a chemistry set, but I did have access to Draino, tin foil and a gallon glass coke bottle. Just put about 4 tablespoons of Draino in the bottle and fill with a sufficient quantity of tin foil with water. Draino mainly creates sulfuric acid and the reaction with tin foil gets rather hot, so we put the coke bottle in a bucket of cold water to keep it from exploding. The chemical reaction creates hydrogen, which can be collected with a rubber balloon on top of the coke bottle. Hydrogen is both lighter than air and flammable, so we would play with that. Typically, people would gather in the area to see what exploded. No one ever got hurt, but we did damage some coke bottles.

http://dujye7n3e5wjl.cloudfront.net/photographs/1080-tall/time-100-influential-photos-sam-shere-hindenburg-disaster-26.jpg

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
#516 4 years ago

Spent my paper route money on one of these at a garage sale in 1978. It was my first machine, and I still have it to this day. How many of you have been collecting pinball machines for more than 40 years?
Image from IPDB, not mine.

Midway Race Way.jpgMidway Race Way.jpg
#517 4 years ago
Quoted from pinfixer:

How many of you have been collecting pinball machines for more than 40 years?

I can't say I've been collecting them for more than forty years.

I've been working on them for sixty years. I've been buying them for my business for slightly over forty years. I do still have the first pinball machine I ever bought new.

#518 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:I do still have the first pinball machine I ever bought new.

Ballyhoo?

image-1 (resized).jpgimage-1 (resized).jpg
#519 4 years ago

If you tie a string to a balloon about 2 feet in diameter, filled with hydrogen and lite the end before you release it, you can watch the fireball similar to the Hindenburg, about 20 feet in the air. Typically, the fireball is about 3-4 feet in diameter. It is rather loud and impressive, but it only lasts for a brief moment. Kind of like a big firework.

#520 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

If you tie a string to a balloon about 2 feet in diameter, filled with hydrogen and lite the end before you release it, you can watch the fireball similar to the Hindenburg, about 20 feet in the air. Typically, the fireball is about 3-4 feet in diameter. It is rather loud and impressive, but it only lasts for a brief moment. Kind of like a big firework.

Hmmm. I may have to see about developing a 2nd childhood and check this out.

#521 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Ballyhoo?[quoted image]

What will they do in '32? Play Ballyhoo, Ballyhoo......

#522 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

Oh the humanity!!!!

#523 4 years ago

I am in no way condoning this activity with hydrogen. Acid is dangerous. Hydrogen is dangerous.
If you choose to do these things, take proper precautions and keep clear of other flammable objects and people.
Explosions can easily happen and glass is sharp if it breaks due to heat or explosion and it is covered in acid...
This activity is dangerous.

#524 4 years ago

I can tell you this from first hand knowledge, a couple friends of mine took a large balloon and filled it with gas (type use for welding) and then tied a book of matches to it, taped a lit cigarette to the matchbook. When it went off it was about 20' away from their house and garage, the resulting explosion blew out the windows in both structures.

#525 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I can tell you this from first hand knowledge, a couple friends of mine took a large balloon and filled it with gas (type use for welding) and then tied a book of matches to it, taped a lit cigarette to the matchbook. When it went off it was about 20' away from their house and garage, the resulting explosion blew out the windows in both structures.

Acetylene on its own isn't explosive, just burns, but if you add basically any amount of oxygen things start to get very explosive very quickly.

#526 4 years ago

More 1970s fun.

#527 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Acetylene on its own isn't explosive, just burns, but if you add basically any amount of oxygen things start to get very explosive very quickly.

Yes they used both tanks and believe me they never did that again.

#528 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

WKRP in Cincinnati 1978[quoted image]

And I'd take Bailey over Jennifer ANY day........................

#529 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Yes they used both tanks and believe me they never did that again.

I wonder if insurance covers busted windows due to a science experiment gone wrong...

#530 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

I wonder if insurance covers busted windows due to a science experiment gone wrong...

The only insurance was more assurance that Dad was going to go off the deep end. These were times when it was still politically correct to discipline your kids, ie. still using paddles in schools. lol lol

#531 4 years ago

Who needs acetylene when you can own one of these?

#532 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

The only insurance was more assurance that Dad was going to go off the deep end. These were times when it was still politically correct to discipline your kids, ie. still using paddles in schools. lol lol

To me, that means that insurance was not in action...
The payment was made in flesh. Lesson learned. No more explosions near the house.
These days, someone would be calling child services to report some type of abuse...
What have we come to?

#533 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Who needs acetylene when you can own one of these?

That is a very cute horse.. I had a friend that owned a Pinto and he painted it bright orange with black racing stripes. Replaced the motor with something probably illegal with a supercharger. It was scary fast to ride in and he made the most of it. I thought he was nuts and I also thought the motor would explode at any moment. Also had a nitrous bottle on it that he would play with occasionally. He had a budget and made the most of what he had.

#534 4 years ago

To be fair, the Pinto was way better designed than the standard Vega of the day, and with time would well outlast it.

Speaking of which, call it a glorified Pinto if you like, but this was one sexy looking machine when a buddy of mine showed up with one in high school. I rarely got to ride in it as the passenger seat was usually occupied by one beautiful girl or another.
CC-35-107-800 (resized).jpgCC-35-107-800 (resized).jpg

#535 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

To be fair, the Pinto was way better designed than the standard Vega of the day, and with time would well outlast it.
Speaking of which, call it a glorified Pinto if you like, but this was one sexy looking machine when a buddy of mine showed up with one in high school. I rarely got to ride in it as the passenger seat was usually occupied by one beautiful girl or another.
[quoted image]

I have been told a few times that the only unit body part that is the same in a Pinto and the Mustang II is the spare tire well in the trunk. All other unit body parts are different.

#536 4 years ago

Some chassis similarities, but I never saw a Pinto with a 5.0 V-8 with one of these beauties on it. Another fine Ford product of the 1970s.
s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

#537 4 years ago

What is wrong with sliding plastic? In a place that can get gummed up, with dirt and fuel.

#538 4 years ago

Not sure if that was just a California thing or not, but at one point it came to be. I could fix it!

I was big on Fords but never owned a Pinto or a Mustang.

But I did have a car with a Pinto motor in it.
1973_mercury_capri-pic-7516-1600x1200 (resized).jpg1973_mercury_capri-pic-7516-1600x1200 (resized).jpg

#539 4 years ago

Standard Vega? Who buys a standard Vega?

MM134-BUG-76CosworthVega-F3Qtr9913 (resized).jpgMM134-BUG-76CosworthVega-F3Qtr9913 (resized).jpg
MM134-BUG-76CosworthVega-Eng0058 (resized).jpgMM134-BUG-76CosworthVega-Eng0058 (resized).jpg

#540 4 years ago

This is some of that 70's magic. Shipping new Vegas, standing on the front end.

untitledVega. (resized).pnguntitledVega. (resized).png

#541 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not sure if that was just a California thing or not, but at one point it came to be. I could fix it!
I was big on Fords but never owned a Pinto or a Mustang.
But I did have a car with a Pinto motor in it.
[quoted image]

I remember the Ford World Headquarters sign along I-94 with the big dot matrix incandescent two line display proclaiming "Mercury Capri, European Flavor".

#542 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Some chassis similarities, but I never saw a Pinto with a 5.0 V-8 with one of these beauties on it. Another fine Ford product of the 1970s.
[quoted image]

The variable venturi. Vacuum operated Nightmare? I never worked on one of those. I sort had a love affair with Quadrajets.

#543 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The variable venturi. Vacuum operated Nightmare? I never worked on one of those. I sort had a love affair with Quadrajets.

I had a 79 mustang with one. Yup. Worst idea ford ever had. Or one of the worst.

#544 4 years ago

I had this when I was a wee lad.

#545 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:I remember the Ford World Headquarters sign along I-94 with the big dot matrix incandescent two line display proclaiming "Mercury Capri, European Flavor".

It was a handling champ. The German Pinto 2.0L might have been a forerunner to today's rice tuners.

c1 (resized).jpgc1 (resized).jpg

#546 4 years ago

Geez Odin, enough with the gawdawful cars of the 70s.

#547 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It was a handling champ. The German Pinto 2.0L might have been a forerunner to today's rice tuners.
[quoted image]

I graduated high school in 1970. I don't know when that car hit the streets (1969?) , but I had 2 classmates I saw sitting in one at a stop light. "B" said that had been riding around town all day on a dollars worth of gas. That was the brag for them. Good gas mileage.

#548 4 years ago

In 1971, I was in the Navy and going to school on the navel air station on Coronado Island in San Diego. One day as I was walking down a street on base a dark green 240Z turned the corner and just sort of slid by. It was lust at first sight.

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 8.27.27 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-12 at 8.27.27 AM (resized).png

#549 4 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

I had this when I was a wee lad.

Holy crap, I remember that thing! It's the "gas pump" that jogged my memory!

#550 4 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Holy crap, I remember that thing! It's the "gas pump" that jogged my memory!

That's the Sizzlers "Juice Machine".

There are 745 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-magical-1970s/page/11?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.