(Topic ID: 30424)

The Love for DMD era games over A/N games - Design, or the video?

By tamoore

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Rarehero
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

You might think this is a dumb question, so I'll ask it anyway.

So, I like pinball machines. All kinds. To me, the game is most important, how the information is relayed to the player less-so.

I hear a lot of people claim that they only like DMD era machines, or that they lean more toward that era of machines. This is reflected in many of the collections of the members here.

When you play a DMD game, you don't really see the video screen unless the ball is no longer moving. I bet there are sequences on our machines that we've never seen. So, as an addition to pinball, IMO, it's not that great....

My question then, is: If you prefer DMD era games, what about them do you like? Is it the ramp/toy additions and speed that the games from the 90's made more use of, or is the the video screen itself?

What makes CFTBL a better game than, say, Funhouse?

#2 11 years ago

It's more about the increased memory in the 90s games which lead to deeper rules, better sounds, etc. than the DMD display itself. The 1991 and 1992 DMD games play more like system 11 games but include video modes often. These early DMD games aren't generally as sought after as those that followed. Starting with TAF, the games featured deeper rules, different ways to approach the gameplay, and often a wizard mode. These are the factors that drive the love for 90s games. Many of them had non-licensed themes as well which is something we haven't seen since, farther adding to their appeal.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from DrJoe:

It's more about the increased memory in the 90s games which lead to deeper rules, better sounds, etc. than the DMD display itself.

+1. While there are Sys11 games I like, they need to be fast or really difficult to keep my interest due to the lack of modes and depth. If I had more space I would own a couple but I can get more bang for the space with many DMDs.

#4 11 years ago

+2. I really love the variety of tasks and modes that the greater memory allows.

Later,
    EV

#5 11 years ago

+3, It has nothing to do with screen animations or toys. Games only have so much room(real estate) and gave us games like AFM, MB, LOTR, TSPP etc

#6 11 years ago

I have a DMD, but there are some really fun AN machines out there. Pinbot, Funhouse, Flash Gordon...

I agree with the memory capacity being a big winning factor for DMDs. Sometimes, though, I just like the challenge of the older games. Try playing a well-maintained Flash Gordon and wow! That thing steals my quarters every time.

#7 11 years ago

I agree with the depth. OTOH, some of my favorite games are EMs and early SS games. Some early Bally SSs like Bobby Orr and old Star Trek are great, as are EMs like Mars Trek, Night Rider, etc. They really are about making key shots and using all your physical pin skills (including nailing shots on the fly, often) without the complication and glitz of a ton of ramps and toys.

#8 11 years ago

To speak generally, it's the deeper/more complex rulesets associated with DMD games over A/N games that I enjoy.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

It isn't.

I think it comes down to the natural evolution of playfields over time coupled with deeper rulesets and toys. The dmd has very little to do with it.

#10 11 years ago

Re-theme an Addams Family as Madonna and you'll instantly see the appeal vanish (plus you will probably get beaten at pinball shows for doing that). On the subject of animations, I recently started playing Pinball Magic at an arcade last week. I had played it a couple of times before but was trying to figure out the rules and playfield rather than watch the DMD. But once I started understanding things and payed more attention to the animations I was really impressed. In the flyer Capcom boasts a 16 megabit DMD ROM, which is 2 megabytes of data. That was a lot of data just for 4 color DMD animations back then. Lots of smoother animations and more detailed images than most Williams games of that era.

#11 11 years ago

Sort of like looking at HS and HSII. HS is a great game but HSII just adds even more to it.

There are some really good 80's pins but with the DMD games you just get more; depth, modes, rules. The display is nice and a few even have entertaining video modes but it's really about the evolution of the total package that separates the DMD's from the rest.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Nothing. CFTBL is awful and Funhouse is great! ...(IMO)

DMD appeal has nothing to do w/ the display...it's just the era. That's when playfield designs got really really good, with great ramps, toys, tricks, more interesting rules, modes, better sound, more voices, higher quality music, etc.

I consider myself a "DMD guy"...but there are some A/N games that I think are fantastic as well...Bride of Pinbot & Black Knight 2000 are my favorites. Funhouse is great too...I kinda miss mine sometimes.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-love-for-dmd-era-games-over-an-games-design-or-the-video and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.