(Topic ID: 171477)

The Lost Playfield Drawings Of Harry Williams

By frobozz

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Williams-Stack (resized).jpg
    14691308_10154685925363901_146239163764860544_o (resized).jpg
    14691426_10154685925633901_5939006902501294971_o (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Since so many people missed my seminar at Pinball Expo 2016 (curse you, Adam West autograph session!), and since nobody was filming all the seminars this year, I decided to put it together as a web page. You miss out on my dubious public speaking talents, but at least the info is all there.

http://backglass.org/williams/tlpdohw/expo2016/

What's missing here is pictures of the completed game, since of course it was sitting there at the show for the seminar attendees to just go see and play in person. When I get a free moment (might be days from now!) I'll take some pictures of the playfield and post them. There are a few pictures of the game while it was at Expo, sprinkled around the other topics.

#2 7 years ago

Followed this since the 'tease post' on rgp. Such a fantastic story at so many levels presented with so much heart.

Thank you so much for sharing here.

#3 7 years ago

I commend you on your determination to find these, and big congrats on your success! I'm looking forward to digesting this...

#4 7 years ago

Thank you very much for posting this and putting together the web page!!! This is fantastic!

I would like to add, I am sorry for your great loss.

#5 7 years ago

nice write up....extremely interesting and wished I hadn't missed the seminar.

I know your wife is smiling on you. As well as Harry, and the rest of the crew.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from burningman:

nice write up....extremely interesting and wished I hadn't missed the seminar.
    I know your wife is smiling on you. As well as Harry, and the rest of the crew.

Thanks for the kind words. And small world - I grew up in Leesburg! Well, 7th-12th grades anyway.

#7 7 years ago

Great read!

Thank You!

#8 7 years ago

Terrific story and well told!

#9 7 years ago

Great seminar! And great story on finding the drawings. I can't imagine how many hours you have spent on all of this. The pinball hobby owes you a HUGE Thanks!

Damon

#10 7 years ago

I am a huge history buff, no matter what the subject. Thank you for staying true to the mission, and not only preserving history, but for bringing it back to life, especially given all you have been through. I am looking forward to seeing that pin one of these days.

#11 7 years ago

Such a great story, with a bittersweet ending. I'm sorry for your loss, and I thank you for keeping these parts of pinball history alive.

#12 7 years ago

EXCELLENT read... Thank you.

#13 7 years ago

I agree with everyone else, a great read and a very impressive story.

#14 7 years ago

That was a great story. Maybe you need to see if a pin maker wants to make some limited edition versions of Harry's designs. Whizbang may get behind it. Get Greg Freres to do the art package. Oh man I'm just dreaming of this.

#15 7 years ago

The best seminar at EXPO this year. Thanks for the work and time you've put in to this. Please keep us up-to-date on further happenings.

#16 7 years ago

That was fantastic,thank you Sir,excellent read!!

#17 7 years ago

I really enjoyed the story. Thank you for sharing it. Those of you interested in pinball history should listen to the This Old Pinball podcast (TOPcast) interviews. Clay has interviewed some of the biggest names in the industry, including Steve Kordek (show 23) and Norm Clark (show 33).
    http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/past.php

#18 7 years ago

Sorry for your loss. Glad to see all that finally fell into the right hands. I salute you sir.

#19 7 years ago

Thank you for sharing & I wish I could have been there in person. Awesome story... and you are a good soul.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I really enjoyed the story. Thank you for sharing it. Those of you interested in pinball history should listen to the This Old Pinball podcast (TOPcast) interviews. Clay has interviewed some of the biggest names in the industry, including Steve Kordek (show 23) and Norm Clark (show 33).
    http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/past.php

And let's not forget the legendary Episode 58...

#21 7 years ago

Hey Duncan
    Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Very enjoyable read. I wanted to attend your seminar but didn't get back from the Pinball Life Open House in time.
    Sorry for your loss.
    Take care
    Wally

#22 7 years ago

Ask and you shall receive. Great seminar I thoroughly enjoyed it.

--Jeff

14691426_10154685925633901_5939006902501294971_o (resized).jpg14691426_10154685925633901_5939006902501294971_o (resized).jpg

14691308_10154685925363901_146239163764860544_o (resized).jpg14691308_10154685925363901_146239163764860544_o (resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago

Are you allowed to make the files public? My aunt runs a printing company and I would love to make some full sized posters

#24 7 years ago

That was a very amazing story and thank you for documenting. I'm going to be saving the webpage onto my computer because there is definitely some "never hear that again once it's gone" stuff, like what Jack said to you.

Really awesome read.

I'm not sure if I missed this, but whatever happened to the original drawings (both production and never/little produced), do you own them, were they sent off to that museum, or did you have to return them? EDIT: Saw you shipped them off. Did you scan the production titles as well?

Although I'm sure offering money to get the original copies of a title or two to a good home is out of the question, seeing the scans of a few titles I have in mind would be awesome, especially since I'd really like to open up a pinball museum one day filled with this kind of stuff, I'm so fascinated by it. Otherwise, if you want to pass the originals off in 50 years, keep my name...

My '70 Williams Jive Time ships in tomorrow, I found it it all the way out in Southern California.

#25 7 years ago

The production drawings of actual games went to The Strong Museum of Play. I lobbied WMS to be able to make small images of them available to IPDB but for whatever reason they didn't want that. Perhaps someday The Strong will be able to do that? (I supplied them with all the scans in addition to the physical paper, so they wouldn't have to duplicate the efforts I had already put in for WMS.) These were just the drawings from the beginning of the company up through Project 399, plus a couple of random things newer than that. The bulk of the newer stuff Project 400 through SW:EI does still exist, and was shipped to Planetary Pinball. I hope to visit them someday and help them get a handle on what they have, but it's theirs and I have no access or control over that.

The unmade Harry Williams drawings were part of the vast Steve Kordek personal archives, which I now have possession of. I have the original drawings, and I have made scans of all of them, but I'm not willing to just dump them all out there for public consumption. I have been burying poor Jay at IPDB with all manner of other scans of historical paper and artifacts, but these are special.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from frobozz:

The production drawings of actual games went to The Strong Museum of Play. I lobbied WMS to be able to make small images of them available to IPDB but for whatever reason they didn't want that. Perhaps someday The Strong will be able to do that? (I supplied them with all the scans in addition to the physical paper, so they wouldn't have to duplicate the efforts I had already put in for WMS.) These were just the drawings from the beginning of the company up through Project 399, plus a couple of random things newer than that. The bulk of the newer stuff Project 400 through SW:EI does still exist, and was shipped to Planetary Pinball. I hope to visit them someday and help them get a handle on what they have, but it's theirs and I have no access or control over that.
    The unmade Harry Williams drawings were part of the vast Steve Kordek personal archives, which I now have possession of. I have the original drawings, and I have made scans of all of them, but I'm not willing to just dump them all out there for public consumption. I have been burying poor Jay at IPDB with all manner of other scans of historical paper and artifacts, but these are special.

Very cool of you. Thanks for your response.

#27 7 years ago

THIS is why I read Pinside. Sometimes, under all the bitching and drama, you find a gem like this thread. What a great story (and sad too)... Many thanks for posting!

#28 7 years ago

That was a great read Duncan, thank you so much for making it available for all to read!! To get caught up in all that history, to have your hands on so many designs must be a terrific feeling. All credit to you for building Typhoon and taking it to Expo. Your wife would be incredibly proud of your efforts. I'm sure her passing drove you to complete the work in her memory. Hats off to you, for all your hard work. One day I hope to see and play on of your builds.

#29 7 years ago

Wow! I am speechless! What an awesome and informative read! My heart goes out to you for your dedication to preserving an artists creative output. Thank you for never giving up your hunt! Its people with passion like you that make this hobby amazing!

-Dan

#30 7 years ago

Fantastic story. Thank you so much for all your dedication and for sharing the journey. I would love to play "Typhoon" and await learning about any others that you bring to life. I don't have any old Williams donor games but I will keep on the lookout and would be happy to donate one if I can come across a good candidate.

- Greg

#31 7 years ago

Very Cool!!!! Thanks for sharing!

#32 7 years ago

Wow, fantastic story, very much enjoyed this… thank you so much.

Jody

#34 7 years ago

i want to see more

#35 7 years ago

I'm sure a lot of people may have already seen and read this... but for those that have not, here is some more interesting reading about this giant in the industry and his humble beginnings.

I believe this was also originally posted by Duncan... but again, for those that haven't seen it yet:

http://backglass.org/williams/TrueAugust1960HarryWilliams.pdf

#36 7 years ago

Pinball News has posted the audio of Duncan's talk from Expo.

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2016/duncan_brown.mp3

Damon

#37 7 years ago

What a great story. Thanks for sharing it with the world.

#38 7 years ago

I have a Stern,Galaxy ,signed by Harry,right next to his Diner! They make a fun couple!!

#39 7 years ago

What a great read this is, very recognisable for those who faced restructuring while working at a large multinational company. Also some nice words for John Popadiuk, who really has an keen eye for pinball-history. Just look at his use of disapearing jet-bumper, rollovers, Mechanical Backbox Animation, Relay Kick-out Holes, Magnets, Spinning Posts, Barewood drain area etc on his WMS designs.

Compliments to you for having the power to continue your quest after suffering such a tragedy with the loss of your wife.

#40 7 years ago

Incredible story. What perseverance! What drive! Many thanks for doggedly pursuing those lost drawings and investing so much time and energy in presenting them to the world. You've done a great service to Mr. Williams' legacy. Wish I'd been at Expo to give the new game a try!

-- Matthew

1 month later
    #41 7 years ago

I'm wondering what other discoveries are to come. Anyone else notice the recent blog post on PPS site?

These are all pinball blueprints recently shipped to PPS from Williams when they moved out of the plant earlier this year. Lots of paper prints plus some other goodies.

Look at the size of those stacks...

http://www.planetarypinball.com/942-2/

Williams-Stack (resized).jpgWilliams-Stack (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lost-playfield-drawings-of-harry-williams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.