New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 145546)

The Lost Atlantis Restoration

By Skypilot

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Skypilot
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 81 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Bally Atlantis 248 (resized).jpg
Bally Atlantis 249 (resized).jpg
Bally Atlantis 250 (resized).jpg
2016 pictures 003 (resized).JPG
2016 pictures 002 (resized).JPG
2016 pictures 003 (resized).JPG
2016 pictures 004 (resized).JPG
2016 pictures 009 (resized).JPG
2016 pictures 007 (resized).JPG
IMG_20161009_102804034 (resized).jpg
Bally Atlantis 241 (resized).jpg
Bally Atlantis 244 (resized).jpg
Bally Atlantis 243 (resized).jpg
Bally Atlantis 242 (resized).jpg
Bally Atlantis 239 (resized).jpg
Bally Atlantis 240 (resized).jpg

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

I've restored several pins in the last few years.Funhouse, Theater, AFM, two Taxi's and currently an Indiana Jones among others. That said I have a soft spot for Bally Atlantis ,circa 1989.
I purchased a project off of Neo a few years back. He believed it whole minus a reliable transformer. I then found a shelved Atlantis in Cleveland along with an additional transformer. A year ago scouring Marco I spotted an NOS playfield they had just found and listed that day . I jumped on it only to find it all scratched up. We renegotiated the cost and I touched it up then sent it out to a fantastic clear-coater in Ohio. Then CPR did plastics I also located an NOS ramp, artwork and a submarine.

I always look for suggestions and comments. I also hope this restoration will help others just getting into the hobby.

So it begins: Enjoy

#2 4 years ago

Bally Atlantis 004.jpgThis is the core and an additional pinBally Atlantis 005.jpgBally Atlantis 006.jpg

#3 4 years ago

Eye CandyBally Atlantis.jpgBally Atlantis 008.jpgBally Atlantis 022.jpgBally Atlantis 023.jpg

#4 4 years ago

initial assessment

Bally_Atlantis_009.jpg

#5 4 years ago

Hell yeah!!! Love this pin.

Looking forward to the thread!

#6 4 years ago

I wound up buying one of these last week. It is a great game fur sure! Worth doing the restore on. If you need a pic of something along the way, just another game to compare something to, let me know.

#7 4 years ago

That playfield is gorgeous

Atlantis was my first pin, but had to sell it unfortunately

Looking forward to the thread !

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

initial assessment

Bally_Atlantis_009.jpg

thumbs up for the radio shack drawer rack in the background.

I love atlantis. I'm glad I restored mine. Was worth every minute of time.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

radio shack drawer rack in the background.

Misc_068.jpg

#11 4 years ago

nice. I have 4 stacks as well. I like the built in setup.

#13 4 years ago

I'm attempting to get these running before I tear into them.

Pin 1: I checked fuses and turned it on. Nothing I first checked for 120v AC at the internal plug. Nothing. Upon further investigation I located a bad connection in the power supply.

Bally_Atlantis_012.jpg

Bally_Atlantis_016.jpg

#14 4 years ago

Like I said, I know just enough to be dangerous. My first assumption proved to be painful enough. When I bought the machine off of Neo, he had stated that it had a bad transformer. Well , I thought if there was no power going to the transformer to begin with then the transformer was not the problem. So I at least unplugged all harnesses coming off the transformer before I tested this relatively sound hypothesis. I than turned on the power and began to look through the manual for current values coming off of the transformer.

....... that's when the smell hit me.
Bally Atlantis 026.jpg

So ended the first attempt to resurrect this pin.
The rest of the night was filled with fans running and apologies to my wife as to why her house smells bad.

#15 4 years ago

This morning I was able to get the replacement transformer in. All the voltages were correct and on to the power supply.
Of course that to was not working. I first checked all the fuses and turned it on only to find half the voltages not showing on the test points.
There is one bridge rectifier on the board and that has always been my first stab at fixing it.Bally Atlantis 028.jpg
I got lucky

Pin#2 actually fired right up. displays work.call out is working (speech). Beyond that it will not coin up.

Bally_Atlantis_027.jpg

#16 4 years ago

You might have a harder time getting the one on the left fired up........its missing a few ROMS.

Not sure how all the ROMS fall out but they went somewhere.......

#17 4 years ago

Ya,
I noticed that this morning. Games not quite all there.

#18 4 years ago

So we have working transformers and power supply's. Unfortunately the controller boards are both fubar.

Bally_Atlantis_033.jpg
Bally_Atlantis_032.jpg
Bally_Atlantis_031.jpg
Bally_Atlantis_030.jpg
Bally_Atlantis_029.jpgIs this in backwards or does it matter?

#19 4 years ago

Resistors work the same in both directions, diodes not so much......

Line them up the same direction with even spacing for a pro looking job.

#20 4 years ago

Told you that transformer was ass. I know, because I had it burning too, without anything attached to it. I don't know what happened to it, but it sucked it went out. But that blackwater 100 one, should work. Just redo the pin configuation, and use the block plugs from the burnt transformer. BW100 transformer, kicks out the same voltage taps, so it should work with some rearranging. Hence why it is there.

The picture with 2 atlantis's side by side, looks exactly when I was working on mine. That game is always a duel helper.

final_machine_009.jpg

#21 4 years ago

I was actually able to get another "Atlantis" transformer . It went in and worked great after a bit of work on the power to it.
Project is now waiting on resistors.

3 weeks later
#22 4 years ago

I need to be in the mood to do board work. I figured its a good time to seal the back of the playfield.Bally_Atlantis_036_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#23 4 years ago

My pic of the week. Picked up a nice fully functioning Atlantis non a trade last week. I can use it to help test my boards on the other two.After that It will go up for sale at the Ohio show.

Bally_Atlantis_038_(resized).jpg

#24 4 years ago

I began replacing components that tested bad on the boards.
Questions, some of the transistors that were originally 2n6045's were replaced with tip 120 and tip 122 . I removed them and put back new original values. Was that necessary ?

The batteries that are on the boards need replaced.Should and can I get originals? Should I replace with a AA holder? Last, will the low voltage of these originals affect boot up or do they just retain memory?

Bally_Atlantis_043_(resized).jpg

Bally_Atlantis_040_(resized).jpg

Bally_Atlantis_041_(resized).jpg

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

The batteries that are on the boards need replaced.Should and can I get originals? Should I replace with a AA holder?

I recommend 5V 1uF memory capacitors, that's what I used on mine. Never worry about batteries, leakage and very inexpensive. All you have to do is play a game once a month.

#26 4 years ago

No batteries, go with this ==> 6116 NVRAM Adapters for Bally 6803

http://nvram.weebly.com/

#27 4 years ago

Got that . still looking for tech advice.Does the battery have anything to do beyond keeping memory?

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Got that . still looking for tech advice.Does the battery have anything to do beyond keeping memory?

For the most part, the game should play normally without a battery. The battery just holds the audit and adjustment information in memory. Just be aware of the following:
> you might experience some oddities such as no voice sounds if these adjustments are not set because of the absence of a battery. Once you set them to a proper valid setting they will work
> On some 6803 games you might find you cannot get a credit into the game if the memory becomes corrupt from a bad battery. Go into the audits and adjustments menu, set the credits-per-play to a valid number.

#29 4 years ago

you want the NVram or something to hold memory, or you can't put it on free play. Would be annoying. Plus you lose your high scores, extra balls on and off and everything else. Advanced games you always need a memory cap or NVram.

#30 4 years ago

Thanks wayout,

This is what I have from Clay:
If the CPU battery goes dead on a 6803 game, this can cause some problems. Every time the game is turned on with a dead battery, the U4 CMOS memory is at risk of containing erroneous data, and the game may not start play, or even take credits. The problem can be seen by viewing the adjustments, and checking the value for the adjustment in question. Often seen is 9999999 for an adjustment that should have a value 0,1,2 or 3. This can confuse the game enough to not allow a game to start.

To fix this, obviously replace the battery. The original NiCad rechargable should be replaced with AA batteries, as shown in the Battery Replacement & Corrosion section of this document. Also make sure you have a manual for the game! Unfortunately, the adjustments are not obvious, and a manual is needed to figure out what adjustment is what, and what value it should be set to!

After the battery is replaced and the manual acquired, power the game on. The first thing to check is the number of credits per game in the adjustments. Press the small push button inside the coin door, next to the volume control. This should put the game into audits and adjustments. Using the manual and the 6803 keypad (Dungeons & Dragons and prior), find the credits-per-play adjustment, and make sure this adjustment is set to a valid number! If this is not done, the game will probably not accept credits, and won't start play! After the credits-per-play are entered, set all the other game adjustments as desired.

One of the two boards give me 4 flashes,This leaves me at U8 not working correctly. The second board is just flashing once meaning U1not functioning . Ive switched chips on both boards an no avail.

#31 4 years ago

I have gone ahead and installed AA batteries in hope of no sending bad data to the chips. I cannot get to the adjustments yet.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you want the NVram or something to hold memory,

This I understand,my problem is that the boards are not booting correctly to begin with.

#33 4 years ago

but if your ram is bad, the NVram will solve that issue as well. Pull out some of the chips and put them back in. you sure your 5v is good going to the MPU board?

#34 4 years ago

Never hurts to double check the logic supply, make sure within a few tenths of 5VDC and check AC ripple, you're probably ok - at least you know the processor is running a program from the flashes. I'd also say swap that CMOS ram out next if you can't boot it.

#36 4 years ago

Rectifying AC to make it DC results in a pulsing DC output. Filtering "fills in" the gaps between the pulses. If viewed on a scope, the rectified DC is never pure like the DC from a battery. It has waves that ride on the DC - ripple.
Logic circuits don't play well when the ripple is too large. You can measure a good DC voltage and still have a crappy DC supply because of the AC component. Measure
the DC supply using an AC setting on s DMM if you don't have a scope. In general you want to measue less than about 500mvAC of ripple. When is too high, that's usually because of a filter cap problem.

3 weeks later
#37 4 years ago

Latest update:
After a bit of stumbling on the boards,I came to the conclusion the RAM(6803) and or PIA 's(6821) were bad. I ordered the parts along with a few pre transistors from Futurlec.com. BACK IN DECEMBER....... The showed up yesterday. Ive gone ahead and swapped them out and placed the board in the working Atlantis and victory Bally_Atlantis_049_(resized).jpg I now have a working set of boards.Bally_Atlantis_045_(resized).jpg

The game boots ,credits and plays sound.
The working Atlantis is now sold and I will be delivering it to its new owner at the Ohio show.

The project game is running except for the 50 volt . There is way to much messed up on the playfield for me to throw that voltage in it.Bally_Atlantis_046_(resized).jpgBally_Atlantis_048_(resized).jpg
Bally_Atlantis_047_(resized).jpg

Time to pack up the sold game and start on the new playfield.

#38 4 years ago

Gotta love hacks and hillbilly repairs you discover on games you drag home........

5 months later
#39 4 years ago

So Amkoepfer is hopefully now enjoying his Atlantis. Now that the boards are working Ive gone ahead and yanked out a playfield and stripped it.I chose the worst of the two playfields for a specific reason. there is a bit of corrosion on metal parts. I have located a local company that is willing to re-plate all the pieces at a very reasonable price.We will see how well this goes.

Bally_Atlantis_065_(resized).jpg

Bally_Atlantis_072_(resized).jpg

Bally_Atlantis_084_(resized).jpg

Bally_Atlantis_062_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#40 4 years ago

While I wait for the plating I decided to start the cabinet. It was easier than I thought.

Bally_Atlantis_177_(resized).jpg

#41 4 years ago

Wanna trade for a mint breakshot?

#42 4 years ago

I can't believe you would part with that "Creampuff"

2 weeks later
#43 4 years ago

The plating I chose was nickel. These parts were in rough shape . I wanted to see how the electroplating would go.Bally_Atlantis_189_(resized).jpg

The rusted parts showed the pitting. I will attempt a batch of less corroded pieces next. The screws came out fantastic.Bally_Atlantis_188_(resized).jpg

#44 4 years ago

BeforeBally_Atlantis_148_(resized).jpg
AfterBally_Atlantis_190_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#45 4 years ago

Considering how much corrosion the metal on the game had ,I must say I'm very pleased with the plating overall. Bally Atlantis 191 (resized).jpgBally Atlantis 197 (resized).jpg

I have begun to reassemble the mech's. The coils have been run through an ultrasonic with the existing wrappers on them. I plan to eventually replace the wrappers. First I need to locate the best paper that is the closest matchBally Atlantis 194 (resized).jpgBally Atlantis 196 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#46 4 years ago

A little further into the rebuild

Bally Atlantis 199 (resized).jpg

Bally Atlantis 204 (resized).jpg

Bally Atlantis 203 (resized).jpg

Bally Atlantis 205 (resized).jpg

#47 4 years ago

Second load of nickel plating. Slated for my Indiana Jones

image (resized).jpg

#48 4 years ago

Shitty wire ramps powder up nicely

Bally Atlantis 222 (resized).jpg

Bally Atlantis 223 (resized).jpg

Bally Atlantis 206 (resized).jpg

Bally Atlantis 207 (resized).jpg

#49 4 years ago

The ground braid on the playfield left a lot to be desired. Im not sure who decided this was an improvement in the way they manufactured pinball machines.
Bally Atlantis 224 (resized).jpgbefore
Bally Atlantis 226 (resized).jpgafter

Bally Atlantis 227 (resized).jpg

Bally Atlantis 229 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 137.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 19.00
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 115.00
Playfield - Other
Great American Pinball
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10,999.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
£ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 5.00
Electronics
Docent Electronics
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 999.00
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside