IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wombat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8167 2 years ago

It appears that I may finally join the club soon. The pin looks good except for the playfield. I'm currently looking for a good used or NOS playfield. Please let me know what you have. I do have a CPR silk screened (not digital) PinBot playfield if that helps someone - original run. Thank you.

#8169 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I have an NOS Bill Davis clearcoated pf. While I am no longer going to Pinfest I have buddies that could bring it. 1100$USD firm(it's less than what I paid actually). No interest in the Pinbot pf.
Otherwise I suppose it could be shipped but I've never shipped a pf (or a game for that matter lol).

PM sent

1 month later
#8301 1 year ago

Looking for a LOTR's plastic set. Please let me know what you have.

#8335 1 year ago

Trying to get pin booted but only get, "Lord of the Rings" on DMD. This is my first attempt trying to boot pin that I picked up recently. I think I found the problem but need someone to confirm. I believe I'm missing punched down black and red wires on connector CN2 (position 5 and 6). Can someone take a photo of their connector CN2.

IMG_20220614_163643422 (resized).jpgIMG_20220614_163643422 (resized).jpgIMG_20220614_163654332 (resized).jpgIMG_20220614_163654332 (resized).jpg
#8336 1 year ago

Forgot to mention, the pin was working before I brought it home.

#8338 1 year ago

Thank you Neal_W. I appreciate it. I know I need a new IDC connector but what size? .100" or .156"? I know those particular wires are 18 gauge.

#8368 1 year ago

Does anyone know where these wire brackets are sold? I have a few that are broken.

playfirldwirebracket1 (resized).jpgplayfirldwirebracket1 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#8505 1 year ago

Need some help please. I'm currently cleaning up my LOTR and removed Balrog. The part the arrow is pointing to is actually broken. I can't find a part number. It's the part that the screw screws into, holding the mounting bracket to Balrog.

balrog1 (resized).jpgbalrog1 (resized).jpg
#8512 1 year ago
Quoted from Williams95:

I have the same issue which I haven’t fixed yet. Found relevant posts in this thread or perhaps elsewhere on Pinside that were helpful. Verify if threaded part is stripped and use a tap & die set to fix. It seems like the reason that part came loose is due to a misaligned thread (at least for me) - this caused the screw to get stuck and then the whole damn thing came out!. Once that is taken care of, it just needs to be glued back into Balrog as mentioned above.
OR - try what LOTR_breath just posted; that could be easier. Tks!

Thank you for the replies. This is exactly was happened Williams95. The main problem is that when I tried to fix the thread, the receiving stud broke in half.

#8524 1 year ago
Quoted from wombat:

Need some help please. I'm currently cleaning up my LOTR and removed Balrog. The part the arrow is pointing to is actually broken. I can't find a part number. It's the part that the screw screws into, holding the mounting bracket to Balrog.
[quoted image]

For anyone interested, this product worked very well for adding a threaded insert into Balrog.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015CAPAPM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01

#8532 1 year ago

My Balrog LED flasher will work in tests (coil and flasher) but not in the game. I'm actually only testing the flasher during the beginning of the game. Balrog should light up during the initial movement, correct? Is there a setting I'm missing?

#8534 1 year ago
Quoted from TrekTobbyGermany:

Balrog switch and light will behave strange if the wires start to crack. The movement does a lot of stress to the wires... Just an option to check. Fortunately not expensive to fix

I originally thought this could be the problem but the flasher behavior continues with a new harness.

#8536 1 year ago
Quoted from wombat:

I originally thought this could be the problem but the flasher behavior continues with a new harness.

I had a brand new Rottendog board as my spare. Installed it but have the exact same behavior as before. The Balrog flasher will work in test mode but not while playing a game. Any ideas?

#8547 1 year ago
Quoted from wombat:

I had a brand new Rottendog board as my spare. Installed it but have the exact same behavior as before. The Balrog flasher will work in test mode but not while playing a game. Any ideas?

I finally figured out this particular problem. Hopefully this can help someone in the future. If anyone else observes this Balrog behavior, it was directly related to switch #32. This switch is located on the Balrog assembly underneath the playfield. I finally realized that I wouldn't hear Balrog's roar when the flasher would not work. This was due to a flaky switch #32. Now working properly with new switch installed.

1 week later
#8556 1 year ago

Continuing to clean up a routed LOTR. Does the area around Gandalf look stock?

IMG_20220729_140730966 (resized).jpgIMG_20220729_140730966 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#8585 1 year ago

Still cleaning up my LOTR. Just found out why my bottom pop-bumper isn't working. See pic. Would this be why my Barad-Dur tower coil isn't working? Transistor, diode (not on the coil), and coil measure fine with DMM.

IMG_20220813_154729121 (resized).jpgIMG_20220813_154729121 (resized).jpg

#8587 1 year ago

Thank you for the reply LOTR_breath. I'm going to take the entire pop assembly out and rebuild. New parts coming. I can tell someone had changed out this particular coil as well - not a factory coil. Bottom pop transistor was also shorted on the driver board as well. Just to clarify, the blue single signal wire is positive - left (anode), and the two yellow wires are negative - right (cathode).

2 weeks later
#8656 1 year ago
Quoted from wombat:

Still cleaning up my LOTR. Just found out why my bottom pop-bumper isn't working. See pic. Would this be why my Barad-Dur tower coil isn't working? Transistor, diode (not on the coil), and coil measure fine with DMM.
[quoted image]

For future reference, if the bottom pop bumper is disconnected, power will not reach the coil controlling Barad-Dur tower. With the bottom pop bumper working properly now, the Barad-Dur tower is finally working correctly.

4 months later
#9202 1 year ago
Quoted from glpinball:

My left flipper buzzes or hums when I hold it. Sounds like could be the coil. Any cause for concern?

You most likely need a new coil stop.

1 week later
1 month later
#9330 1 year ago

Need some help please! I removed the left plastics next to the flipper. I realized the plastic posts are different sizes when reinstalling. Is the top plastic higher near the spotlight (flipper) or is it higher towards the edge (vinyl rail)? The picture is what I currently reinstalled. I have the top plastic leaning towards the middle. How are your plastics installed? Thank you in advance.

IMG_20230306_122136444 (resized).jpgIMG_20230306_122136444 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#9558 11 months ago

Always carefully look at the ring insert. This insert will lift, causing a crack within the outer orange circle. Playfield color can be funky. If you look at the characters, skin tone should be normal. Character color can look too light or too green. The Stern Whitestar CPU board is very difficult to find. Make sure there is no acid damage near the battery pack. Most parts are still available. This pin is awesome - great pick.

3 months later
3 weeks later
#9695 7 months ago

Are you using a Rottendog driver board triggur, or is it a Stern board?

#9696 7 months ago
Quoted from triggur:

I have a weird problem with LotR that I can't explain. The Right VUK fires just fine in test mode and ball search mode, but when the switch is triggered, it's so weak that it can't lift the ball.
Here's a video of the issue: https://imgur.com/a/kpLd6xU
What on earth could cause this?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-left-vuk-weak-during-play

I changed the coil and my left VUK works very well now. I am currently using a Rottendog driver board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 7.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wombat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=wombat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.