IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vyzer2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 9 years ago

Made it to taba yesterday with double scoring but don't think it was double scoring. Each time I went through the ring for the various modes it was only awarding 1 mil per (normal)...but couldn't look up to see what was going on after that. Put up a 2nd highest score. Love this game!

2 years later
#1530 6 years ago

The upgraded coils change the game.....for the better. Some may say they are too strong, but I've had them on for three years and no plastics broken or any damage for that matter. Helps greatly making the ring shot on longer games where the stock coils would get weaker.

3 months later
#1762 6 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Hi all, here are some WIP vids of my LOTR Wool Mix. I used the Pinsound community OST mix as a base but have changed > 95% of music and added a tonne of speech/fx direct from the DVD centre channel mix. The mode songs are faithful to the films even to the point in how they layer up through progression (like the ringwraithes mode).
Apologies for the mediocre sound quality but you get the idea.
» Vimeo video
» Vimeo video

I have heard other sound packages on other games that were ok, but yours really enhances the game. After owning my game for 5 years, I would love to install your sound package, great job.

1 month later
#1958 6 years ago

IMG_0543 (resized).JPGIMG_0543 (resized).JPG

Over a thousand plus games, this never happened. I could not find the ball

#1972 6 years ago

Absolutely do it. If that stops somone from buying your game down the road, so be it. The next person will buy it. Personally I would think it would add to its value.

1 month later
#2185 6 years ago

I purchased one last night. It will get here however long it takes. I'm going to use thewool's mix as can't imagine the original mix can be better. But would like to know, so post how you like it when you get it loaded.

#2189 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Thewool’s mix is better, but really they are both pretty good

Thanks. Is there someplace I can listen to it? (the original)

1 month later
#2431 6 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Ok, I have owned my LOTR for about 3 months now, and I still have not been able to destroy the ring. I am starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my machine. So last night I took the glass off to test the ring setup. All three switches are working, and the magnet appears to be working well.
So here is what is happening when I go to destroy the ring. You can get the first ball in the ring with no issue. When the second ball goes up, It will stick to the first ball, and does not go through to hit the second switch. It is like the magnet is too strong. I have read about the issues of the balls become magnetized, but these balls are new, and are not sticking together at all outside of the game.
Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing my magnet?

Not recommending this either way, but try playing with one ball through the ring instead of two, just to make sure it is working. There is a setting for this in the menu. I also had this problem, prior to installing a more powerful coil. By the time I got to DTR, my flippers were noticeably weaker and I could not generate enough flipper power to knock the first ball through. Flipper coils are another debatable issue for LOTR owners.

2 months later
#2788 5 years ago

Spectacular!

9 months later
#3733 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Congrats. I also finally got to Valinor on Jan. 24.
I have not been playing for score in the last few years, only for Valinor. One thing that hurts me is I am not good about giving in and holding the ball on the flipper to time out modes I don't need to finish like TABA which often causes me to lose a ball.

Congradulations DCFAN!! You’ve owned Lotr a long time, but you did it!
For anyone who wants tech help on Lotr, DC is the guy.

6 months later
#4793 4 years ago

The fire mod looks like a great mod. I wondering if I can install this with the other mods I have without any power issues arising; speaker lights, path of the dead, pinsound board, volcano mod, the blinking eye mod in the backboard, laserific topper and Jays palantir mod. Should there be any issues?

#4830 4 years ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

As to the original ball, I tried hard not to, but it got destroyed trying to remove it. So I had to make this work. It looks better, but I'm not happy. Not sure why this is a popular mod, but to each their own

That’s because you got the wrong one. Search pinsider AUKraut. He makes a great palantir. I forget the name of his thread but a simple search will get you there easily.

2 weeks later
#4939 4 years ago

Thanks for that Pin_Guy. Wonder if there is a difference between the regular and the LE.

#4941 4 years ago

So if you have an lotr limited the regular will not work?

#4943 4 years ago

Thanks
Stupid me, I ordered it and then had to cancel (unless Mezel) can hook me up. Too bad, I like that mod.

#4960 4 years ago

Re ring fire mod, just a thank you to Mezel Mods for their excellent service. Ordered last week and already received.
Every time I have ordered from them ( and screwed up at times) their communication has been second to none. Thank you MM.

4 weeks later
#5229 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It is usually magnetized balls.

I recently had the very same issue and it was magnetized balls. I didn't think that could be the problem as about 20 games prior I installed new ball baron carbon steel balls that apparently got magnetized way too quickly.

#5236 4 years ago

I tried ordering the medium coils from apb enterprises but wouldn’t take my order because it says they are on vacation till 2099!
Anyone know if all is ok at apb?
I don’t know if it’s a typo, but couldn’t even get on their website.

#5238 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

They have a Pinside message link as well as cell phone listed on the Pinside Biz page, try contacting them that way.

Thks, I tried the pinside biz page. Couldn’t connect to their website.
I guess I’ll try calling them.

4 weeks later
#5393 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

This just happened to me after I installed NVRAM. It did that the first time I booted up the game only. Now it turns on as per usual.

Did you lose your high scores?

#5406 4 years ago
Quoted from -ZZZ-:

Anyone know what's going on with APB Enterprises? Their Pinside store has been disabled / "on vacation" for a while now; listed as returning in 2099(!). Their eBay store has zero listings as well.
Is this really a vacation or is something else going on?
Does any other seller carry their medium power LOTR flipper coils?

I tried contacting them about a month ago. Here is the reply I received:
“Thanks for the note. Sorry that I took my store down. I will make a few and let you know when I open the store again. It will likely be this weekend.

Thank you again.

Andrew”

I haven’t heard anything further.

1 month later
#5505 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Ya! I’ve seen a few
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-16809
That’s the one I found quickly.

I’ve asked this before, I don’t believe they will fit in a stern game.
As to the pinbits sword lock, I had issues with the roll over switches when I installed this piece. You can try to adjust them which I did numerous times but could not get all the switches to make contact properly. I wound up just taking it off. But that doesn’t mean one should not try, j just couldn’t find the sweet spot for all 3 switches.

#5509 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

the original owner of my lotr had what I assume to be one of these installed. it fits and seems to work well,
it is maybe a 1/8 inch too long and would tend to slide out of place as the two notches at the wider end would not stay engaged as a friction fit to the edge of the trough but a dab of plumbers goop at the wider end has worked well. alternatively one could trim a bit off the narrower end

Good to know...thanks

2 months later
#5735 4 years ago
Quoted from ZfromEarth:

Hi,
I need to sell my LE machine, if someone interest: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/93686
Thanks

That is one beautiful LE. GL with your sale.

2 months later
#6151 3 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Do yourself a favor and watch it. Amazing!

Just watched this. It was so good. Amazing how they can get right into character so quickly. Thanks for posting. I knew Josh did this but your post made it easy to find.

6 months later
#6646 3 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Anyhow, adding to the topic of pinball coils and flippers. I have a set of the APB coils, but honestly, aside from the late game fade, I like how the stock ones feel and I don't want to change it at all. Does Pinkmonk make a fan set? I know he does for a bunch of games.

At this point just bite the bullet and get the APB coils. I really don’t believe the game was designed for such flipper fade that you cannot make a shot due to playing the game for a long time.
I got those coils after many frustrating games with eventual weak flippers. I’ll never go back. I do like the fan idea but just wonder how effective they will be.

4 months later
#7073 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Mirrored back glass, gold trim, and a certificate were the only "LE's things". Different runs had certain different things in terms of the AOME figures on the PF but that was simply due to availability. Otherwise everything else on the PF has always been consistent between all production runs/versions.

Extra clear coat as well. My LE playfield after 8 yrs looks like new. Brass trim also as shiny as the first day.

#7075 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

You mean in the before time, in the long long ago? Back before Stern lost the art of being able to successfully clear coat a PF with any sort of reliability.

Exactly. The good ole days.
In all seriousness, my PF is one of the best I have, whatever they did then should be done today. But we all know its all changed and must have something to do with the clear coat formula and environmental rules (plus a host of other factors).

2 months later
#7329 2 years ago
Quoted from November:

Hello the Fellowship, my topper is alive ! Let me know what you think about it
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"3130271ed58de523b5e0d55f0b65e82fe5a53b12-1625924641-1800"};
//]]>

Very nice. Unique! Wish I had a ceiling that tall.

1 year later
#8513 1 year ago

Haven’t seen this written in a while; if you hit both flippers when the ball is in the ring, the magnet will disengage the ball.

3 weeks later
#8571 1 year ago

PinRex47
Beautiful looking game. I have an LE which I think is in pristine shape after 1000 games.
Is your sound package available to be down loaded?

3 months later
#8891 1 year ago
Quoted from TheNecromancer:Ok, so I'm really torn and I kind of understand that being the LOTR club it may be somewhat biased opinions but I have the chance to trade my 7 month old (450 plays) 1 owner Jurassic Park Premium for a well optioned LOTR.
My heart really wants the LOTR as it's my favorite books and movies since high school. I'm a huge fan. Jurassic Park is also a favorite of mine but not at the level LOTR is. I've never played the LOTR pin, but I've read enough to know that I doubt I'll be disappointed. The hang up comes to the value. With tax and shipping and a couple mods I'm in JP for $10,200. The LOTR game has a lot of cool add-ons such as the path of the dead, palantir, eye of Sauron, power blades, speaker grills and a color DMD. There may be other small things but I don't know the game well enough. The cabinet does have some scuffs on the lower left side, not bad but there. I also realize the game is 19 years old too. It's said to 100% working order.
The reason I purchased JP in the first place is while originally looking for a LOTR a dealer talked me out of it as I was knew to pinball and kind of scared me away from an older game as a first machine. I've since added a POTC and while still a noob I'm already a lot less intimidated by an older machine. So when this somewhat local LOTR surfaced recently as a trade I've really been thinking about it. In 2016 I looked at buying a LOTR and they were trading for around $4000 - $5000 at the time which seemed pretty high and I backed down thinking if I wait a few years they would be cheaper. Well, that didn't really work out for me. I can't help but wonder if I wait another couple years will I be looking at these machines for $12k or $13k? More? I feel that if I take the trade I may be losing around $1000 on my end but I guess you don't really ever recoup tax and shipping. Maybe it's worth it to get the Holy Grail pin for me? Should I just be patient and save up for another year or so and find one then? I will like try to find another JP in the end as those were the three goal pins but who knows, maybe I find something I like more than JP too. I find JP as a noob to be a hard game.
what are you're thoughts? would you trade even if it favored the seller?

There are some older pins that if they came out now would be just ok. But if LOTR came out now, it would be considered a great pin.
It’s a pin that I don’t think I would ever get rid of. I’ve had it for close to 11 years and while I don’t play it as often, when I do, I realize what a great pinball machine it was and still is.

9 months later
#9663 8 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Anyone have any experience/words of wisdom about the mods? Been sitting on them for about 2 years now lol.
[quoted image]

Two of the best mods for lotr.
The palantir is a breeze to install and the fire ring is a bit involved but easy following Niro’s instructions. Post a pic when you’re done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.50
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vyzer2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=vyzer2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.