IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider uncivil_engineer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2085 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

So I picked up my Lotr a few weeks ago. I just finished the topside teardown, clean, and reassembly. It had a sound issue when I bought it and I was hoping it was just an o/s issue. Flashing to ver. 8 and that didn't fix it. Next step is to send the board to stern for repair. Anyone done this before? I'm wondering how long it took them and if they fixed it.

I am in the same boat. I have a LOTR with a dead sound chip. During my research, I found out that Rob from lockwhenlit.com does repair these boards. I would contact him for pricing and repair times. I also discovered that if you install a Pinsound board, it completely replaces the old sound circuits. I am currently saving my pennies for a Pinsound board.

1 month later
#2371 6 years ago

I think the playfield color quality was an issue all through the early 2000s. I noticed the same thing on a couple of different TSPP last year.

1 week later
#2430 6 years ago

Ok, I have owned my LOTR for about 3 months now, and I still have not been able to destroy the ring. I am starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my machine. So last night I took the glass off to test the ring setup. All three switches are working, and the magnet appears to be working well.

So here is what is happening when I go to destroy the ring. You can get the first ball in the ring with no issue. When the second ball goes up, It will stick to the first ball, and does not go through to hit the second switch. It is like the magnet is too strong. I have read about the issues of the balls become magnetized, but these balls are new, and are not sticking together at all outside of the game.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing my magnet?

#2433 6 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Not recommending this either way, but try playing with one ball through the ring instead of two, just to make sure it is working. There is a setting for this in the menu. I also had this problem, prior to installing a more powerful coil. By the time I got to DTR, my flippers were noticeably weaker and I could not generate enough flipper power to knock the first ball through. Flipper coils are another debatable issue for LOTR owners.

Hmmm... this may mean I have to upgrade my ROM set from 5.01.

#2435 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Seriously.....order V10 ROMs now!! They are a noticeable improvement over the V6 my machine had when I bought it, and you are on uneven older version. Ray J. at ActionPinball can get them for you.

I have my own ROM burner, and I found the V10 rom files on Sterns website. I may take a look at the chips in there tomorrow, and decide if I want to try to erase them and burn the files to them. I just have to figure out which cpu file and which display file to burn to my machine.

#2439 6 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I have my own ROM burner, and I found the V10 rom files on Sterns website. I may take a look at the chips in there tomorrow, and decide if I want to try to erase them and burn the files to them. I just have to figure out which cpu file and which display file to burn to my machine.

Ok, I got the files, I found a spare 1mb chip, and I liberated a 8 mb chip from the dead sound section of my cpu board. I had to double up the display data to fill the 8 mb chip. Every thing appears to have installed ok, now I just need to have a game worthy of destroying the ring.

3 weeks later
#2510 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Just joined the club! For anyone who has installed Wool's pinsound file, do I just drag the .rar file onto the thumb drive and drop it in the board? On my other machines with pinsound, i've always dropped in zip files, ever .rar.
I'm sure this question has been covered but can't seem to find it on this thread.

I personally have always used pinsound studio to get my files setup before I plug the USB drive into my machine. Less chance of it failing to unpack properly, and you get to play right away.

2 weeks later
#2598 6 years ago

After owning it for nearly four months I finally did it.D02F6B2B-40E8-458E-9A52-AD6EB01DE70E (resized).jpegD02F6B2B-40E8-458E-9A52-AD6EB01DE70E (resized).jpeg

And it was quite the marathon game...
411C361C-AA66-413C-AA4E-23832184BE8E (resized).jpeg411C361C-AA66-413C-AA4E-23832184BE8E (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#2722 6 years ago

Unfortunately I have to let my baby go...
Anyone want a nice LOTR?

SOLD!
Machine - For Sale
Fully shopped/refurbished - “I have a pretty nice LOTR for trade/sale. Overall nice cabinet, only a few minor scratches Playfield shows no wear all the plastics are intact Pinsound board installed and working...”
2018-04-24
Bakersfield, CA
5,300 (OBO)
Archived after: 9 days
Viewed: 650 times
Contributed to Pinside

#2730 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Look at how much color difference there has been in LOTR playfields...

Ive noticed that with a lot of Stern playfields from that era. It really stands out in on TSPP. BTW, the lower picture is my playfield. I think the harsh lighting doesn't help the picture much.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 18.95
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider uncivil_engineer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=uncivil_engineer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.