By skywalker

2 years ago

Stats

• 2,064 posts
  • 294 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by kingau
  • Topic is favorited by 170 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 453 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Untitled (resized).png
FB_IMG_15105331259901 (resized).jpg
790717BB-016D-412C-9B38-078C69DF29BE.jpeg
30796174-4CC7-447E-B582-11E75AC1EC8E (resized).jpeg
IMG_3690 (resized).jpg
IMG_3687 (resized).jpg
IMG_3686 (resized).jpg
89BA7B22-4FC8-4C29-8C03-7293477CC399 (resized).jpeg
010FAFD4-C65A-455A-A59D-CD9B8AA2F5D2 (resized).jpeg
2F3AB3AC-C731-4A8B-B393-763AF7B8424A (resized).jpeg
E723123C-2286-45AF-8F74-AB321F8B28DD (resized).jpeg
44C5C20F-83EA-45B1-820F-38EA1212B2AF (resized).jpeg
20171102_214228 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20171103-200259 (resized).jpg
George_Gomez_Game_Designer.jpg
wood (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider timebandit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#250 2 years ago

I'm back! And I'm NEVER leaving again.

image.jpg
image_1.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_3.jpg

#254 2 years ago

I can't believe how much I missed this game after I sold my first one. I swore that I would track down a mint LE to replace it. Nearly two years later and the quest for the greatest machine ever is complete.

image.jpg

#257 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Thats a sweet apron! How long ago did you sell your first LOTR and how long did you have it for? Im about 90% locked in on a trade right now that involves me making the journey back to Valinor. It will be my 2nd LOTR.

I had it for almost two years and sold it almost two years ago. I didn't even get to TABA while I owned it. I borrowed one a while back and got to TABA within about three games as I am improving all the time as a player and had gotten a lot better on other games in the meantime. Now I feel I can grasp what it takes to get Valinor and that is part of owning it again now. And deep down I think selling the first one was maybe an excuse to let me upgrade to a collector quality LE example as well.

1 month later
#283 2 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

congrats TB I was hoping it you who picked this awesome Precious up..Welcome back your first one says to say Hi...Enjoy!!

Thanks man. All is good in the universe again!! Funny thing, it's a whole different experience a couple years down the track. I'm settling in to a Valinor approach program this time, as I am a better player and now see it is within the realms of possibility. So much fun to be actually going after the goals properly with a view to actually completing it. Hope you're still enjoying your beauty!

#288 2 years ago

You need people with intelligence on this massive..quest..thing..

#290 2 years ago

Gather the 9..

#295 2 years ago
Quoted from Peppers:

One quick question, is the soul ramp in the top left supposed to tilt in the direction of the flippers? Mine is stationary, not a huge deal though.

It's stationary. You nudge for results. Not like IJ POA.

3 months later
#341 1 year ago

Why, why, why does it always happen like this?! We leave for holidays today and are flying to the US. Ok, fifteen minutes till we have to leave, what game will I jam in before we go? You can see where I'm going with this, right?

The good news is, that I can now really see that Valinor is in my reach.

6 Elf gifts,
DTR,
All modes started,
Tower MB complete,
Drained with EB and TABA lit.

I started of course thinking that an average length game should fit nicely in the time window I had. End of ball one I had 4 gifts, but guess what! The second or third time down POTD I noticed that the POTD switches WERE'NT registering! I was only collecting souls at the dribble rate they come in at while your in POTD. So I had two multiballs started fairly normally but ROTK was taking ages!

So here I am having the game of my life with no POTD switches and twenty minutes late for the airport! Typical!

Anyway by the time I lost the third ball I didn't really care as the family was getting a bit edgy and we did have to go. But the main point of the post is that doesn't it always seem to go like this!!

Not a massive score, but Valinor is coming!!!

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

image_4.jpeg

#343 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Is that normal? How often does everyone see the ball fly off the left ramp?

It's normal. It's a design flaw. It happens all the time. You need this, and you need it now..
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-habitrail-mod

#359 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

The ball flies off the ramp before it gets there, and lands in the shire.

Ah yes, that's a bit different sorry. I didn't pick up on the difference.

#361 1 year ago
Quoted from Archytas:

can any recommend which ones to get for the GI, backboard and under playfield lights?

Comet's "sunlight" colour is amazing for GI. I have literally hundreds of them across all my machines. I think the main thing with LOTR LED choice is keep it warm and earthy.

#363 1 year ago
Quoted from Archytas:

Thanks, do you just use these for GI? What do you use for under the playfield and backboard? I will probably keep the game 'earthy' with a bit of colour here and there. I was thinking a bit of green around the slings and perhaps some red round the pops but not a huge amount that makes it looks like a huge multicoloured mess.

These are the only photos on my phone at the moment. Yellows, ambers, warm white and red underneath. One green each side for GI on the slings makes it look quite "Shirey" in a good way. A bit of red in the GI around Balrog is appropriate. I colour match the green inserts. If that's the brightest colour you go with on the inserts it pops in a subtle way. A lot of people put green on the POTD but I went with purple and like it, with some green above it on the backboard.

image.jpeg
image_1.jpeg

1 month later
#390 1 year ago

So, I have never been into action figures at ALL. And I don't miss the figures on LOTR now that I have the LE....except one. I think the nondescript plastic at the ringwraith spot is incredibly underwhelming.
This just arrived, and for the first action figure I have ever bought I consider it pretty.bad.ass.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

1 week later
#407 1 year ago
Quoted from bpeed99:

I have owned LOTR for three years now and love it just as much now as when I brought it home. The rules, strategy, flow, callouts, and overall depth of the game is second to none. I am not a LOTR movie fan at all. I even tried to go back and watch the movies after I bought the machine and couldn't finish the first one. I can see how someone wouldn't like it in a public setting because it does have to be dialed in quite often. As mentioned earlier in this post, the center spinner and switch needs to be in perfect alignment or it will take the game from a 9.5 rated game to a chopping wood 6 rated game. For my machine the switch needs to be completely horizontal with the switch arm bent slightly up so that it activates the magnet in time. I have put many games on the ST premium and while it is pretty and an overall awesome game, LOTR is still the better pin. If anyone is debating whether to add this to their collection, plan on giving it a little love and care every once in a while, but it is well worth it.

Dialled in there is nothing like it. A lot of people buy LOTR as their first machine, as I did. But when it's your fist machine Valinor is just a pipe dream. It can get frustrating as the goals are so lofty and be beyond a newer player's reach. I sold mine and moved on. But as I got better I realised I had left so much of what LOTR has to offer on the table. I then searched out a nice one and bought it back. And here it stays this time. Even more rewarding second time around.

1 week later
#450 1 year ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

What is everyone's best destroy the ring time? I accomplished it in 15 seconds this week, couldn't believe it.

14 seconds.

Kidding. 56.

2 weeks later
#520 1 year ago
Quoted from rbissett:

Does your Balrog light up?
Pics & video from the whip mod thread show the Balrog lighting up from within... is that from the whip mod?

That's standard. There's a flasher in there.

#542 1 year ago

And here I was saying I wasn't into action figures. What have I become?!

image_(resized).jpeg

1 month later
#574 1 year ago
Quoted from whisper:

Can any out the please help me with a micro switch number please, I snapped the straight blade off the micro switch that sits between the gate on the merry shot, it's the switch that lets you know that you have collected merry on the right hand side of the playfield an sits underneath the sword lock ramp, it's a micro switch with a straight blade , if any one can please help me with the part number? , I would be very greatful, thanks in advance

Right orbit low (I think this is what you are describing) is 500-6227-02
Right orbit hi (in case) is 180-5190-28

1 week later
#602 1 year ago

Resurrection of the Arwen plastic protector. It's back. I now own the design for the improved version and have taken the hand drawings and modeled it. I wonder how many folks might still need one?

ArwenPlastic_(resized).PNG

1 month later
#673 1 year ago
Quoted from DaveH:

But again, LOTR isn't a "game after game" kind of game. It's a quest. It has a lot of different objectives to try for. Some nights it's DTR, others I'm trying to reach TABA, and other nights I want to collect as many gifts as I can. That's what makes it so darn great.

This is it. Like marathon running. A marathoner only does one or two a year. Outside of that there are fun runs, social jogging, track meets. Different incarnations of the same thing. LOTR is the KING of that type of machine. Settle in for the type of game you feel like on any particular day. You can have it all. No other machine comes close. Except maybe the Whitestar Hand of the King, TSPP.

1 week later
#740 1 year ago
Quoted from lb1:

I remember reading mixed feedback on the speaker upgrade. It seemed it was not night-and-day. Did I get this right?

The sampling quality of the original sounds are such that an upgrade of backbox speakers does nothing. Sub upgrade makes a difference though. Get that bass thumping.

#749 1 year ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Most over used, weak, and inflammatory comment on the forum. Why do you use it?
State why you want to know more about insignificant lighting changes. That would be an intelligent response.

#752 1 year ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Is this how unprovoked vendors should speak on Pinside?

#worthit

2 weeks later
#777 1 year ago

Too much gold is never enough!

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

1 week later
#793 1 year ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Just contacted Friend and Pinsider RandomKG and he is going to help me get a game plan to really make the playfield light up!

Well, you might as well call in the big guns. Are you sure you're ready for Kev's level of "light up"?

1 week later
#819 1 year ago

I cannot believe how much I love this game. If, for arguments sake, you call WoZ a masterpiece of modern pinball manufacturing, put next to my LOTR it certainly is NOT chalk and cheese, and the casual visitor to my game room considers them pretty much the same thing. I constantly get lost for hours in my LOTR and it is ageing like a fine wine and actually getting better and better as time goes on and other machines come and go. I cannot get tired of it.

#839 1 year ago
Quoted from multibrawlr:

Have you considered getting the other action figures for the playfield

This is my current favorite..

5bef9f5c59deb1e1bfcdeae78a46c2c2f5c6bf8e.jpeg_(resized).jpg

e4faa50b17d6026392fc32563fee432b0e118f68.jpeg_(resized).jpg

#847 1 year ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Yes it is a slight magnetism of the balls. Thank you very much. Anybody know where to get some that won't magnatize?

Search Pinball Life for Oooh Shiny. Their website is down for summer break though at the moment.

#880 1 year ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I'm very happy with LEDs in my LOTR LE.

Me too. LEDs are not necessarily an automatic color bomb. Keep it to white, reds and ambers, with some hints of green for shireness. Comet sunlight, as always, in the GI. In the end, firm but tasteful. And still feels warm and middle earthy.

IMG20160717125725_(resized).jpg

#911 1 year ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Just about the best mod you can install around the Shire is the brass rail guide

Totally the best non-powered mod in all pinball.

1 week later
#934 1 year ago
Quoted from Neuromancer87:

Yes, I figured I loved it so much it had to be my first. It was pricey, but I got a decent deal on a HUO machine for 5800. I'm already thinking what will be next... I love Champion Pub, so it'll either be that or an Xmen or Spiderman.

LOTR is such a perfect first pin. I also then went SM as the second. Those two together form a two machine collection that will keep you going for ages.

1 month later
#981 1 year ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

The functionality of the design could certainly be though, but that's not what we've been talking about.

Yes, let's talk about that.

1d4cb1487a43a56d5e305db08811f1b0de800470 (resized).jpg

#1006 1 year ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Consolation Balrog

I bet Balrog just loooves being called that, haha.

Consolation_Balrog (resized).jpg

1 week later
#1022 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

and then end with what I can only describe as an "oink" sound.

Is that the one that corresponds to the kickout from the shire?

3 months later
#1268 10 months ago
Quoted from chadderack:

I've met the girl of my dreams, and her name is LOTR

I keep coming back to this old girlfriend time after time after time. May the two of you live happily ever after.

1 month later
#1428 8 months ago
Quoted from lb1:

Game is unplayable with magnetized balls

But DAMN! ..that chrome/polished lock cover. Mmmmmmmm.

1 month later
#1489 7 months ago

Ok, years of mis-hearing a call out, and I'm not sure I even want to fix it, because, you know, it's part of my life and all, but here goes..what the hell is "mango silence"? You know where it is if you play enough.

#1491 7 months ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

What character says it?

I think it's Gandalf, but it could be some other old guy. The same voice that says the something is under attack.

It's inside a multiball.

#1493 7 months ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

That is Gimli blurting out "mind those ladders" during Two Towers Multiball.

Haha. Excellent. Thanks. A little part of me has died though, as it always made me chuckle.

2 months later
#1636 4 months ago
Quoted from hawknole:

Not sure what LED you mean,

The ring-collection LEDs, between the flippers. They are SMD all on one board.

1 month later
#1745 3 months ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Can anyone explain how the ball sometimes gets up on the wire form when it is shot in the Gimli VUK? It happens too fast for me to see what is happening. This happens quite a lot. Thanks.

--Edit..misunderstood question

#1747 3 months ago
Quoted from Maken:

The ball will sometimes bounce off of the metal edging behind the VUK/saucer and jump upwards into the wireform without the activating the VUK/awarding the shot.

That makes more sense as an issue. Never seen it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Macon, GA
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Sale Pending!
Coatesville, PA
$ 15.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
£ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 9.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider timebandit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside