pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0841 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0840 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2852 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240315-080536 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider t-800.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#431 8 years ago

My four+ year journey for a minty LOTR at the right price finally concluded this week. Very happy to be a part of this club. While most of the game is dialed in very well, there are two things I was wondering if people could chime in quick on (sorry, didn't feel like sifting through 5000 posts):

1. Gollum/Gimli upkicker - looks like mine has plenty of oomph, where it kicks it strong enough the ball rolls around the arc and then back up and falls down about 25% of the time. Any suggestions to get this to be more "perfect?"
2. Left orbit shot bouncing out of Baradur - really fast shots sometimes bounce out instead of landing and staying in the saucer to read the orbit shot. Any suggestions to help keep fast shots stopped in the hole up there in the right corner?

Also just curious:
1. How many of you leave the "cave troll" intro part enabled to the fellowship multiball? It's fun and worth points, but at the same time it sucks if you use your palantir ball save during that part when it would come in more handy when you are actually trying to beat the multiball.
2. How many of you have the Destroy the ring set to have to use the second ball to knock the held ball through to destroy the ring?

Ordered about $400 in mods the day after - can't wait to spruce this baby up, one of the best parts of pinball.

#435 8 years ago

Anyone direct me to the best toy/figurine for the witch-king to add as a mod? I want the version with the metal helm and the big mace. Seen a few different pics of various mods in games that look sweet.

#473 8 years ago

How many of you have switched over to LEDs in your LOTR? Did you go with the "sunlight" leds that comet offers? I'm torn on whether or not to add leds to my game, especially the GI - the game just feels like it should have the warm glow of incandescent light on it... sorta like campfire light from medieval times.

#495 8 years ago

Very, very nice brass job. I'd be interested in more info as well.

1 week later
#513 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Is it also throwing up an error on the dmd saying that the coil failed? I had this happen at my party saturday night.
Open up the machine, lift up the playfield. That plastic lock is attached to a plunger. The mechanism is a little odd because they needed a spring to push the plunger up so they used a c-clip to hold the spring in place. The spring can twist and work itself under the clip. It will then work part of the time, but not all. I would make sure that isn't the case first.

FYI - newer versions of the sword lock mech actually have a larger nylon washer installed to prevent this from happening. If it becomes an issue you can go to Home Depot or Menards, etc. and buy some large nylon washers and make one yourself.

3 months later
#781 7 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Picking up my new pin LOTR on Saturday. Anyone know where I can buy some Steroids for it?

Maybe in a hole in the ground.

2 months later
#984 7 years ago

I have the POTD diverter on my game for a few reasons:
- first and foremost I like the speed and fluidity of the game when it feeds directly to the left flipper instead of having to wait for it to get kicked out of the Shire.
- getting to ROTK multiball is already too easy IMO. Dropping into the Shire and getting those extra souls for no reason at all is incentive enough for me to go the other route and have better flow and a faster game.
- Broken plastics suck - especially special, licensed plastics that are basically unobtainium now. Adding in an aftermarket clear ramp to avoid this is one option but that isn't ideal either.
- Balls dropping from 3" off of the playfield surface cause considerable more wear than balls simply rolling over edges. For me it's a cheap, simple thing to help prolong the life of my game. The argument comparing it to MB's scoop isn't exactly apples to apples either - for one that scoop also kicks the ball out at an angle which often times, on weak kick outs, pounds the ball into that edge, obliterating it - secondly, those scoops are in the position where the flippers are sending the ball out at it's peak speed and force and cause much more damage over time than weaker shots near the edges of the playfield.

#996 7 years ago

Can we keep this thread positive? Is that possible on pinside?? No one is "pushing" anything on anyone. People are just posting their preferences and providing insight into why they chose what they did. I think it's great getting more info on why somethings are done one way or the other. I certainly dont take it personally if someone chooses to disagree with my point of view.

1 week later
#1023 7 years ago

Is that sound from the cave troll from the movies?

2 months later
#1198 7 years ago

Anyone with regrets going to LEDs instead of the stock incandescents? Everyone of my pins is LED'd, but my LOTR just looks so natural and at home in incandescents.

#1208 7 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

I've been asked to increase the difficulty on LOTR for an upcoming PAPA tourney. Aside from software and outlanes, I could use some creative suggestions to make game times shorter.
Thicker ramp entrance rubbers? Please let me know what you think...

Increase the pitch. Remove the outlane posts. Put thicker rubbers on the posts on the center ramp and right ramp. Adjust your sling sensitivity to make them hyper sensitive. Rebuild your flippers and make sure they snap.

#1226 7 years ago

Someone on this thread already had the cool idea to put more wraiths in the game, so I decided to do it as well. If anyone wants the drawing for the clear plastic plate feel free to PM me and I'll send it to you, if there's enough interest I can see if Laseriffic will cut them.

Easy install - I just removed the four nuts off of the top of the sword handle plastic, added 4 spacers (with male and female ends), the plastic and then the nuts. Figures are held in place with 3M Command adhesive (removeable by pulling on it with zero residue behind). Figures are from the same AOME collection. I did the same thing with the Sauron figure - just used some 3M Command and stuck him right on top of one of the lane guides, as well as the POTD figures on top of pinbits' plastic. The ambient light from the POTD lights seems to light the dudes up pretty well without LEDs underneath them. A much cheaper option if you don't want the deluxe POTD mod.

20161210_204122 (resized).jpg20161210_204122 (resized).jpg
20161210_204028 (resized).jpg20161210_204028 (resized).jpg

2 months later
#1447 7 years ago

Was tired of looking at the plain clear plastic overhanging the return on the left ramp so I decided to design my own mod. I thought it was strange the most common poem from the books isn't anywhere to be found on the game (other than in script form). Simple, but fills the space nicely.
IMG_0069 (resized).JPGIMG_0069 (resized).JPG

IMG_0070 (resized).JPGIMG_0070 (resized).JPG

#1451 7 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Did you just use an engraver to make that? Looks awesome! You should start selling them.

I had this professionally laser etched and cut. If anyone is interested in one PM me. If there's enough interest I'll get more made.

And thank you to the detectives -- I meant the poem was no where to be found on the playfield or plastics, at least from what I can see...

#1453 7 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

What, can no one here speak Mordorish! Of course the poem is there on the playfield. Check the pop caps.

It's also around the elven gift inserts too. That's why my original post had the line "(other than in script form)" in it.

3 weeks later
#1478 6 years ago

Anyone interested in the ramp plastic mod I designed can now buy them on laseriffic's website.

https://shop.laseriffic.com/collections/pinball-mods/products/lotr-plastic-replacement-piece

49256788fad8056889e2a02acbc9cac4fca2b10e (resized).jpg49256788fad8056889e2a02acbc9cac4fca2b10e (resized).jpg

#1480 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

That's nice Scott. I took that plastic off completely because I never had issues there and I didn't like the look. I would put this on though.

That's kind of funny/interesting. I actually had more problems with the stock plastic on than with it off - it kept wanting to flex down and it would trap slow moving balls between the plastic and the ramp wire form. This etched acrylic is stiffer and I ended up putting a washer underneath it as well just to make sure there is plenty of clearance. At least the ugly "fix" is now some interesting that ties into the Tolkien lore.

4 months later
#1804 6 years ago

LCD for the win. I love that ColorDMD found the great LED solution for games where the traditional lcd wont fit, but for the others, the LCD wins hands down in every side by side comparison I've seen in person.

2 weeks later
#1838 6 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

One of the first things I did was replacing the fluorescent tube in the backbox for a less bright led tube. What a difference. I hate the overexposed look that the original fluorescent tube gives to the translite. The led tube makes it look far more natural. Highly recommended!

Which vendor exactly did you buy the tube from?

1 month later
#1970 6 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

If you could have Elijah Wood, Sean Astin and Andy Serkis sign your LOTR backglass translate, would you do it?

Nope.

#1973 6 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Hurts the collectability of the machine, you think?

I dunno about hurting or adding, personally I think it's a wash. For me, most people's signatures look like ugly stains, covering the original artwork. I'd rather leave it mint and then not worry about someone concerned over it's authenticity later. I can tell you I highly doubt I'd PAY for an autograph like that.

Might be different if it was one of my favorite celebrities of all time; but those characters are just a small part of a bigger picture that made the LOTR movies so amazing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life
Armor and blades
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider t-800.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=t-800 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.