IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#570 8 years ago

Here's a cautionary tale, about how I turned a small problem into a really big one.

I noticed that my ring insert was separating on the right. I looked under the playfield and I could see that the glue was thin on that side (the side you can't see here).
Still okayStill okay

No problem, I thought - I'll just glue it down with some slow-setting CA glue. But I couldn't help myself. I just had to press it to see how loose it was on that side. Disaster struck: the insert popped out, and some of the clear and art on the "good" side broke away.
NooooooNoooooo

I've got it back in, and I can live with it for now (until I can get a new playfield):
Back in the saddleBack in the saddle

The real tragedy here is that the rest of my playfield was still perfect. Shire, Gimli scoop - perfect.
What should have remainedWhat should have remained

Long story short, if you ever take off that LED PCB like I did, treat this insert like it's plutonium. I never should have pressed it from that side. Idiot.

#580 8 years ago
Quoted from charles4400:

Ooof, that's a painful story and sight to see... sorry that happened, planning on clearing it or putting mylar over it?

I'll put mylar on it for now, and just play it as it is until I get some time to swap in a new playfield. The silver lining is that this gives me an excuse to install an NOS playfield with a few extra layers of clearcoat.

#589 8 years ago
Quoted from mortenera:

Swampfire - your story is giving me nightmares! I am so sorry for you.

Thanks. On the bright side, Sterns are pretty easy to swap. Should be 25 hours or so.

1 month later
#668 7 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

What is the average ball time on a pinball game?
What is the average ball time on LOTR?
I like facts.

Good, go collect those facts and report back.

I removed my outlane posts for a tournament and never put them back. Ball times seem about right now.

#678 7 years ago

Listen, nobody in my family complains about balls lasting too long. They WANT longer ball times. My 17-year-old said I should sell IM because it's too hard, lol.

But I've used LOTR for league and tournament play, and before I removed the outlane posts, LOTR and RFM were always the 2 games that kept us waiting to start the next round. I've tweaked them such that they are not a problem now...POTC is currently my big bottleneck. This is with EBs disabled on all DMDs, by the way.

#681 7 years ago

I'll post my DMD audits too, should be interesting.

#689 7 years ago

OK, I'll play.

1:32 - POTC
1:19 - LOTR (outlane posts removed)
1:05 - MET
0:58 - Congo
0:51 - RFM (outlanes wide open)
0:49 - IM

Why do people (including me) think that ball times are much longer on LOTR if the audits show that they're not? Is it because the main theme gets annoying after a while and it just feels like it's taking longer to play? Serious question.

Average LOTR game time here is 4:05.

#690 7 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

There is some confirmation. A reasonable 1:43 minute average ball time. Just SECONDS above the other games!

I would add that LOTR_breath is a top notch player and does indeed have LOTR on his breath. So his ball times should have been MUCH higher.

#696 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Because the long players screw up your tournament if not managed properly

Ah, I think you're on to something there. While the average ball/game time isn't much different than other pins, a really good game tends to play much longer than good game on other pins. I can definitely see that, and that's why it's a problem in tourneys.

BTW I just played a longish game (destroyed the ring), and it didn't feel long to me. Felt just fine.

1 month later
#786 7 years ago

Warm white LEDs, LEDOCD. I'd also recommend super-brights in the spotlights.

#795 7 years ago

I'll be very interested to see what KG comes up with. His other games are amazing...LOTR is a challenge for sure. It's easy to push it into Skittles territory, needs an artist's touch, which I think KG has.

1 week later
#817 7 years ago

Nice to see one that hasn't been color-bombed. Slap a ColorDMD in it and enjoy, great game!

#853 7 years ago

You need Carbon Core balls for games with magnets. The "Ooh Shiny" balls may be Chrome Steel, which is NOT what you want. I've always bought my CC balls from this guy on eBay, and never had a problem:

ebay.com link: Ten 1 1 16 Inch Mirror Finish Carbon Steel Replacement Pinball Machine Balls

1 year later
#2571 6 years ago

I was thinking of selling my LOTR that I bought new in ‘03, but the last 1000 or so posts have insipired me to keep it. I’m the guy who poked out his ring insert by cleaning it. I’m going to swap in this playfield as soon as I find the time:

https://swampfire.smugmug.com/ForSale/LOTR-Playfield/n-g7twNk/i-nxdp5N5/A

The color is slightly off, but the registration is great on this one.

#2585 6 years ago

I converted my GI to warm white frosted to get a bit more light, but all of my inserts are still incandescent.

#2587 6 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Do the lights near the shooter lane flicker instead of fading?

I’ll check when I’m back from TPF, but if they did I probably used incs there. I have a very low tolerance for LED flicker.

#2597 6 years ago

talking_goat I generally shoot for 15 degrees on the siderails on all my Sterns. I’m not sure what that translates to for the playfield, but I don’t like taking the glass off to level games.

#2616 6 years ago

I use generic carbon-core balls and change them every 6-12 months, and always after a show. $5 tops.

#2628 6 years ago

I've played TNA on co-op mode a few times now (4-player), and it gave me a great idea. The next time I have a party, I'll put LOTR on 12 ball play (4x3), and have people play a "4-player co-op" game on LOTR to see how far they can get. If there are a few good players, they should reach TABA easily, and they have at least a shot at Valinor. This seems way more fun than slogging it out to Valinor myself.

#2630 6 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Sounds fun! Does it max out at ten ball or am I making that up?

You may be right about that. Maybe leave extra balls enabled, and if you get one you pass it to the next player?

#2645 6 years ago

I'll check these on mine tonight. It's "normal" for the VUK fork switches to be flaky - it's the actuator, not the switch. I had to bend my forks up slightly to get Shire and Gimli to register consistently. Welcome to the club!

Quoted from PinKopf:

Question for the group: Is it normal for some number of switches in the edges test to register both when closed and then again when released? It's a large number of the switches doing this, but not all. For instance all three sword locks, both shire and gimli vuk switches, and others. I'll have to compile a list if that is not normal. Most are not in the same rows/columns, so this seems odd to me.
All switches at least work, but to follow on with that the mini PF U.L. switch registers both itself and the top vuk for the orthanc shot when depressed (and is one that registers on press and on release). These are in the same row as that left pop, so I'm wondering if it's switch fried the diode or similar and is causing some or all of these oddities. Shire vuk switch seems slightly intermittent in testing too (also in same row with the others mentioned). I hadn't noticed any switch problems while playing, so not sure if these are related problems to the pop or just coincidence...

#2648 6 years ago

I just started playing mine again last night and damned if the fuse didn’t blow after 5 games. I’m sticking a gum wrapper in there!

3 years later
#7040 2 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

Hey all! I'm about to restore one nasty LOTR pro I just picked up.
Any recommendations...like must haves?
I read if going LED's I need the OCD board. Agreed?
I will do color dmd.
Any must have mods?
Anyone have any mods that they want to sell?
I don't think I will go the full brass treatment.
What about rubber? Clear titans?
Let me know what you think. I know the sky is the limit here but I'm not looking to go high end. Just very nice restored condition!
Thanks![quoted image]

LED OCD is a must-have if you want to use LEDs in the inserts. I just use standard white rubber on mine. ColorDMD is excellent for LOTR, probably my favorite out of Congo, POTC, MET and GOT.

Your playfield will probably clean up great, but I’ll be listing a really nice used playfield FS soon. I replaced mine with a hand-picked Ron Kruzman playfield that I couldn’t resist. But the original looks surprisingly good for an ‘04 game. It’s HUO except for a few months at a friend’s new arcade, and a couple of pinball shows.

#7043 2 years ago

Thanks for the info! I agree that mine should clean up ok. Yours must be purdy with that Kruzman installed!!!!!

I’ll post some pics when I’m 100% done, it does look sweet. I felt bad for paying $1500 for the playfield, but now that LOTR are selling for $7k+ I feel like it’s justified.

#7058 2 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

My machine is a July 2004 HUO model and the bumper on the guide rail was stock from stern.[quoted image]

+1, and there’s no sign that the bracket ever touched the playfield. I’m still going to tighten that screw though, thanks to this discussion.

#7085 2 years ago

Start with #3 (original coils), they may be fine after a flipper rebuild. I can add that I replaced my left flipper coil with the stronger one, and now I have a broken slingshot plastic. So I’ll be going back to original.

#7088 2 years ago

I’ve had pretty good luck using RC car heat sinks on my coils on Iron Man. Stranger Things has the exact same flipper fade issue, and I’m trying PinMonk’s fans. So far, they seem to work great.

#7094 2 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Whats wrong with these coils? Too powerful for the game?

9C8043CB-3E15-4DB8-8FEE-FF233A40B8CB (resized).jpeg9C8043CB-3E15-4DB8-8FEE-FF233A40B8CB (resized).jpeg
#7095 2 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Any advice on replacing the microswitch in balrog? Can i do it easily with him still in the game?

Nope, you’ll need to take him out but it’s not hard. You just have to cut the tie wraps and replace them later.

#7101 2 years ago

My 2005 LOTR has factory metal washers under the slings.

Mine did too, until I replaced them with plexi washers. I’m switching back to metal. Anybody have a right slingshot plastic they want to sell me?

#7118 2 years ago

If the problem is “flipper fade” (flippers getting weaker as they heat up), I’ve had success with 2 approaches:

- RC car engine heat sinks
- PinMonk’s fans

#7120 2 years ago

And that is with original coils right?

Correct

3 weeks later
#7240 2 years ago

If anyone has a routed or ratty LOTR and is looking for an inexpensive upgrade...

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/115945

I’ll drop the price once a week until it sells, and I’m open for offers.

#7242 2 years ago

Ouch that must have hurt? Anyone else have that insert pop out? Were you cleaning it from the underside?

Yep, and I wasn’t even pressing that hard. Learn from my fail, folks! I would have been happy with my repair if I hadn’t found a really nice playfield hand-picked and cleared by Ron Kruzman.

#7244 2 years ago

That must be a beauty!!!!

It is, but I’m still working through some swap gremlins. I should take some good pics before I play too many games on it.

1 week later
#7261 2 years ago

I finally resolved my last few playfield swap issues, and grabbed some pics of Ron Kruzman’s excellent work before I start flipping. BTW, if anyone has a spare pair of sling plastics they’d like to sell me, please send me a PM.

51694782-A698-4382-B89B-539B985BF7A9 (resized).jpeg51694782-A698-4382-B89B-539B985BF7A9 (resized).jpeg4AE8D737-D8BC-497D-88E2-CAED29C24081 (resized).jpeg4AE8D737-D8BC-497D-88E2-CAED29C24081 (resized).jpegA53B2DCD-C6A5-4B49-89E2-26A51662AB89 (resized).jpegA53B2DCD-C6A5-4B49-89E2-26A51662AB89 (resized).jpegB96BEA2E-2B0E-485C-8917-2C8E50ADA3D0 (resized).jpegB96BEA2E-2B0E-485C-8917-2C8E50ADA3D0 (resized).jpegDB4C9B4A-C14C-44F6-A2A1-7DA9EB85505D (resized).jpegDB4C9B4A-C14C-44F6-A2A1-7DA9EB85505D (resized).jpeg

#7266 2 years ago

I’d check the transistor.

1 week later
#7284 2 years ago
Quoted from jdroc:

You've had it for 3 months and just now got to Valinor? Sheesh, amateur hour
I'm coming up on 3 years into ownership and still chasing Valinor - one of these days!

Ha, try 16 years!

1 week later
#7327 2 years ago
Quoted from jdroc:

pinballife coils are WAY too strong, medium strength coils are good but not available now.

I bought a pair of medium strength coils on eBay about a month ago. Search “LOTR coils” if this link isn’t working, it’s the first result.

ebay.com link: itm

7 months later
#8033 2 years ago

Hi all - I’m looking for a right slingshot plastic, and I’m happy to pay $$ for one. Please PM me with the price if you have a spare. I’m in the metro Atlanta area.

Thanks,
John

1 week later
#8045 2 years ago

I left the club last night, after owning LOTR for 17+ years. My son was 6 when we got it, now he’s 23. I swapped in a NOS playfield cleared by Ron Kruzman before I sold it. It feels good to pass the torch to my friend who’s very enthusiastic about it. I’ve got a long wait for its replacement, Rush Premium. I feel that LOTR has the most beautiful playfield Stern ever did, and I’ll miss looking at it.

4163DBB2-8229-4F41-85DC-6958A50FFE27 (resized).jpeg4163DBB2-8229-4F41-85DC-6958A50FFE27 (resized).jpeg93083397-A9C7-412F-A0ED-4E6AB71786E5 (resized).jpeg93083397-A9C7-412F-A0ED-4E6AB71786E5 (resized).jpeg

ECF68B5F-480C-47F8-9D6D-0B91D0A47236 (resized).jpegECF68B5F-480C-47F8-9D6D-0B91D0A47236 (resized).jpegF8A5D430-62BE-4D25-8C9A-F15EEA8B375C (resized).jpegF8A5D430-62BE-4D25-8C9A-F15EEA8B375C (resized).jpeg2EBE5D39-BF8D-405B-8439-3CA59271545E (resized).jpeg2EBE5D39-BF8D-405B-8439-3CA59271545E (resized).jpeg
#8051 2 years ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

I got hold of an OCD board and plan to start the conversion to LED…I’ve been torn as to whether or not to do it, but i feel that with the warmest LED possible, and the boards ability to dim individual bulbs, it’s worth an experiment

I was an LED skeptic. I can promise you that if you use Herg’s LEDOCD and warm white frosted LEDs, you’ll love it.

#8058 2 years ago
Quoted from briyau15:

LOTR_breath Jarbyjibbo
Thanks. I did see previous posts about medium coils and no mention of a flipper strength adjustment setting. I believe on my newer Stern there’s actually a flipper strength setting but it sounds like that wasn’t an option for the older ones.

There are 3 settings to control how long and when the coils fire - it should be in this thread somewhere. I had the medium coils, and I had to dial everything back to minimum since it was too strong with the defaults.

2 weeks later
#8096 2 years ago

What did you do to your game?

#8098 2 years ago
Quoted from StrangeSubset1:

The Hobit Hole mod for the shire VUK. Front left. Or are you asking about something else. Lots of mods on this LOTR.

Hobbit hole looks good!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 7.50
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Baton Rouge, LA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.