IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scottslash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#126 8 years ago
Quoted from phuping:

For example when starting a game, sometimes the Balrog attempts to open (whir-whir-whir) but doesn't open until the ball is in play and after the multiball ends the balrog takes some time to reopen. It isn't consistent.

Yes, resolder the pins and such on the relay board. Worked for me.

1 week later
#173 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Question for you owners who have done a full teardown...How tough is LOTR? My only other full teardown was WCS94, and I can't imagine this game is harder than that.

I've not done a WCS94, but have done Funhouse, JD, TFTC, TSPP, and POTC. I found LOTR to be about average generally, but there seemed to be more fluff and trim and shields to deal with than average.

Biggest PITA regards the lights and flashers on the return lanes / ball guides. Impossible to remove without unsoldering. (huh?!?) I added a couple connecters to make the future easier.

Here's a few pix from my recent shop job. Have fun!

11377120_1113973611961946_9213777354546716558_n.jpg11377120_1113973611961946_9213777354546716558_n.jpg 11253994_1113973628628611_721854088859214360_n.jpg11253994_1113973628628611_721854088859214360_n.jpg
1 month later
#227 8 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

High on the list is the addition of a shaker.

Personally, and FWIW, I'm not a big shaker fan and I've not added one to my LOTR. So if I may, don't forget about: ColorDMD, LED's, Cliffys, Jay's Palantir mod, and the Path of the Dead (POTD) mods. (I listed those in no particular order, and no I do not have all of them on my LOTR.)

Yes, I gave you ZERO help in your shaker questions... So sue me. Have fun, buddy!

#228 8 years ago

(If nothing else, I gave you a bump.)

1 week later
#239 8 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

I have completed the characters over the bridge but still haven't destroyed the ring.

Must be some interesting settings. I've destroyed the ring dozens of times but gotten all the characters over maybe 2 or 3 times.

Great game!

#248 8 years ago

Zora, DO buy and install the upgraded coils. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1112

I (and many others) have. No issues. I'm surprised the old ones don't burst into flames they get so hot.

Do it. You'll be glad you did.

#260 8 years ago

Mode-wise, I find Witch King the most challenging by far. I've only completed it once so far. But when I did, the animations and sounds were a cool surprise. Hope to see/hear them again soon...

1 month later
#301 8 years ago

New high! Er, low. Destroyed the ring in under 40 sec!

image.jpgimage.jpg

4 months later
#438 8 years ago

Cave Troll On. Been on 1 ball DTR, but just changed it to 2 ball to try it out. Then, my next 3 games sucked of course and didn't get to DTR! Perhaps tomorrow I'll experience what the 2-ball is like...

1 week later
#498 8 years ago
Quoted from BigBlockFever:

...the colorDMD first. Is the conversion doable for an average beer drinker with lots of tools?

Yes! I did it!

1 week later
#525 8 years ago

GC score at 1.1B ?!? Love the topper btw.

2 weeks later
#564 8 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyapple:

Needed a topper imo.

Topper aside... (Cool as it is.) A ColorDMD is what it needs!

3 months later
#783 7 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I guess some great games just speak for themselves and that is fine with me.

Indeed. And welcome to the club. It's where the cool kids hang out.

1 week later
#806 7 years ago

Witch King is the toughest mode by far. I've completed it only twice. The animations/sounds are the best!

1 week later
#861 7 years ago

Wow, the eject from that hole shouldn't even come CLOSE to hitting the wireform. It's not even *really* a VUK. More of a kickout. WTH you got under there?!?

1 week later
#897 7 years ago

And of course... make sure the machine is level and at proper pitch. Best wishes.

#905 7 years ago

Any ball drop into the left tower will VUK the ball into the POTD.

Also, the right return lane will "light the POTD." Meaning, the left orbit shot will get diverted into the tower and hence the POTD.

#908 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Does the right return lane light the POTD for a short period or does it stay lit until you shoot the left orbit ?

Not sure, it's either a short period or stays available until you hit *something*. Be it the left orbit or something else. I'd have to test.

#913 7 years ago

Maybe Gomez doesn't like Liv Tyler.

1 month later
#997 7 years ago
Quoted from tu71586:

I'm having Balrog issues (see video)

More likely not the motor IMO. a) Check switches via diagnostics. b) Reflow solder on the relay board.

#1014 7 years ago

Indeed. Reflow (and add) some solder and I'll wager it will solve your Balrog issues.

#1015 7 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

but mode start doesnt light immediately,

It's not supposed to. In normal settings, mode start is lit at the start of each ball. Once a mode ends, mode start is relit by collecting 3 elf (white) rings. Also, you cannot start a mode while any of the 3 movie multiballs are running. Hope this helps.

3 weeks later
#1108 7 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

You do not want the "upgraded" coils. They are too powerful and then eventually fade down to the standard level after a long time of running.

I disagree, and that's not been my experience.

Quoted from brad808:

Zip tie some 12v 120mm silent computer fans onto the coil brackets to keep the stock coils cool for extended play.

I've seen this solution. Strapping on fans? Really? Worst case last resort "problem-solving" IMO.

2 months later
#1253 7 years ago

comment23 Welcome to the club! Here are a couple threads re #LOTR mods.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-mods-for-lotr

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-mods-2

Those forked VUK switches are to be kept on hand for sure. Nothing else LOTR-specific comes to my mind.

If my Balrog motor makes any noise, it must be getting drowned out by the "roar" sound effect. Never noticed much motor sound. FWIW.

1 year later
#3045 5 years ago

Now that we're on the subject of TABA... anyone else notice... when screen says "Shoot a lit shot" the ring is lit? And when it says "Shoot the ring" all the shots are lit? Like, it's backwards.

3 weeks later
#3110 5 years ago
Quoted from jchybro:

Has anyone experienced a path of the dead issue when the ball quickly pops through lane 1 or 2 and does not register souls? (when this happens it does register souls for lane 3 or 4). Most of the time everything is fine and the souls are counted - it seems to only happen when the ball heads very quickly down lane 1 or 2. Thanks.

Are you sure it's not registering? Looking at screen or listening to call-outs? The call-out doesn't always happen if there's other speech going on.

3 months later
#3371 5 years ago

You need to put a nut there behind Palantir to hold the wireform down. Having no nut allows the wireform to raise slightly when the ball is launched upward. Thereby letting the ball get trapped. Just theory of course, but seems solid.

#3373 5 years ago

FWIW, I have no washer and no problem.

#3378 5 years ago

Mine's like this.

lotr (resized).jpglotr (resized).jpg
#3381 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Weird, seems everyone has a different setup.

Anyone an original owner that never changed it? Want to know how it was set out of the factory.

Yes, curious.

2 months later
#3597 5 years ago

If bending the actuator doesn't help, just replace the switch. Notoriously flaky.

1 month later
#3842 5 years ago

jsm172 -- You'll love it! I'm playing some of my last games on her, and she's she's still solid as a rock. Is it too late to raise my price?

#3856 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Anyone else have an issue where when hitting the ring ramp, it seem like the ball gets slowed down by the spinner?

Bend/adjust the spinner so it's leaning forward a bit -- rather than leaning backward. Make a big diff.

#3865 5 years ago

@jsm172 -- This thread should have the answers you seek. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-projected-eye-palantir-mod

2 weeks later
#4002 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I am finally a member!!! One of my absolute favorite pins and favorite movie series!!

I cant tell you how ecstatic I am!!!

I'm glad you got one!

1 month later
#4201 4 years ago

If not registering and therefore going into ball search, then it's the switch. Bend or replace.

If the VUK "can't get it up," then you need to clean, check, etc the VUK coil/assembly.

From your description, it sounds like you have both problems.

2 weeks later
#4312 4 years ago

red-line, your sister is talented and quite creative. Nice gift!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 18.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 25.00
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

€ 7.50
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.50
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scottslash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=scottslash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.