Topic Stats

• 5,398 posts
  • 487 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by RGAires
  • Topic is favorited by 254 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,131 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6249.JPG
IMG_5872.JPG
Screenshot_20191207-002722~2 (resized).png
Screenshot_20191207-002649~3 (resized).png
Screenshot_20191207-002554~2 (resized).png
20191201_191305 (resized).jpg
20191121_214951 (resized).jpg
20191121_214944 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (2 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (5 months ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (3 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballtilt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2021 2 years ago

I'm super excited to join this club. It's been my grail pin for years. And thanks to robertstone0407 he found me a steal on a routed one. Picked it up for $4100. Complete and working, just needs a few small things like palantir switch, adjustments, sound board, and legs.

Can't wait to get to it and converse with you guys.

FB_IMG_15105331259901 (resized).jpg

#2032 2 years ago

Does anyone have any shopout or top side tear down pictures? This games been routed and I can tell they improvised in certain areas. If I can understand how items are supposed to be assembled I can fix mine. Ideally an album on Dropbox or something

#2038 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Here are the ones from my top-down teardown about 6 weeks ago, they should be in order.....
http://s34.photobucket.com/user/fw_fw/library/Pinball/LOTR

Thank you both!

1 week later
#2078 2 years ago

So I picked up my Lotr a few weeks ago. I just finished the topside teardown, clean, and reassembly. It had a sound issue when I bought it and I was hoping it was just an o/s issue. Flashing to ver. 8 and that didn't fix it. Next step is to send the board to stern for repair. Anyone done this before? I'm wondering how long it took them and if they fixed it.

#2086 2 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I am in the same boat. I have a LOTR with a dead sound chip. During my research, I found out that Rob from lockwhenlit.com does repair these boards. I would contact him for pricing and repair times. I also discovered that if you install a Pinsound board, it completely replaces the old sound circuits. I am currently saving my pennies for a Pinsound board.

Good point. Almost a no brainer now. $200 repair plus shipping and being without the board for 4 weeks or 400 board that gives me better sound. Hmmm

#2088 2 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

And more:
-Upgrade from mono to 2.1 (stereo+sub) high quality power amplifier
-Full cabinet and back-box tone control (treble, bass, loudness…)
-Change from original sound package to HQ reorchestrated sounds on the fly during a game
-Headphone / line-out connector
-Plays any sound from the USB flash drive
So many mods, so little time!

But if I don't fix the whitestar board I can't take the pinsound board with me when I sell. I guess the solution is never sell. Haha, thanks guys

I also ordered a new balrog wiring harness from pinball heaven. It was reasonably prices even with shipping in case anyone's having balrog issues

#2091 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This may help:
Just got another Pinsound today...
» YouTube video

I saw that. Sounds incredible. I wish a U.S. retailer had the whitestar adapter in stock. I'll be ordering one just as soon as I convince the better half

#2103 2 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I used this. It is the kit from the Stern bulletin with second gen Balrog LED bulb and socket, and was cheaper that the bulb they used to stock. Now I have a spare socket.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-5022-00

Is a new socket needed? I bought the coin taker bulb but now I’m wondering if i need a new socket too

#2105 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

So it's confirmed that installing pinsound board fixes sound issues, including corrupted sound ROMs? So no need to troubleshoot what the rootcause is, just install the board and get better sound quality on the side?

I would like to get confirmation of this also. I know that you load on custom sounds to the pinsound board, so I imagine it bypasses those sound roms. But will it also bypass a bad u8 flash chip? PinSound

#2111 2 years ago
Quoted from PinSound:

Indeed, I confirm the PinSound Whitestar kit completely bypass the sound section on the Whitestar CPU/Sound board.
And it has been confirmed by multiple users who had a faulty sound section on their original board.
Of course, the CPU part has to be running correctly
You can take a look on the installation video: https://www.pinsound.org/whitestar/

Awesome. Thank You! I have one on order from you as of yesterday so I had my fingers crossed that was your answer.

Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:New clear rips of scenes from the movies without the distortion on the originals would absolutly knock the mix out of the park.

You can add in your own rips for any existing sound is my understanding

#2126 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just joined the club about 2 weeks ago.. just did a complete plastic replacement (easily half were broken or completely missing ... I kept pulling stuff out going ‘there isn’t one on the play field that looks like this...’)
Fully shop, disassembled almost everything - still need to install a new Gimli cliffy and figure out how to mount Gandalf and I am done.
Also considering a replacement set of cab decals since it looks like someone threw acid on these or something! Think it’s worth it?

Was this the one for sale in PA? That side art did look rough if it's the same one. I was gonna buy that one and replace the decals along with the playfield

#2129 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yep - took me 2 days to shop it (I removed everything) and replace all the plastics. I still need to replace flasher caps, but it looks amazing now. I Will be Bondoing the backbox (super chopped up) along with another game I'm restoring. I'll come out ahead in the deal .. but only JUST barely. It's going to look outstanding when I'm done, though. I am considering getting bronzed hardware too.
I'm still astounded at how similar it is to Monster Bash - it's a little more complex, but it's totally the same shots. Very interesting to play both of them next to one another

Good job. Good to know it went to a good home. Are the reds faded on the playfield or was it just crappy photos? I saw bay area amusements had a playfield if you're looking for one. What was the deal with it, how did it get so rough?

#2144 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I was thinking about adding one of these, both at the right ramp and at the Shire...
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2120
OK one more question - I am not sure if I have the original or upgraded coils (I need to check but think they are the way-too-powerful upgraded ones), but I've read about changing some coil settings in the menu. Where are these settings? I don't see them in the service portal. This is an original later-run LOTR (2004 I think?) ,not VE and not Gold LE.

I've got that. It installed ok although you do have to drill a hole in the rail. I would recommend cliffies over that as they are thoughtfully designed and don't require drilling holes. I have the cliffy for the shire rail to protect that after I repaired it

#2155 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Gotcha - thanks for keeping me from making a mistake. Damn this game is getting expensive !!!

It's expensive but you're making it bulletproof and it should play great for years. Plus you got it for a good price. I feel like I'm dumping in a lot of money on the one I picked up too, but it will look great, play great, and sound great so it's worth it to me. Now if I had picked it up at the going rate of 6000...probably wouldn't be so happy

#2183 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Anybody install the new PinSound mix? I would love to hear that thundering soundtrack in Technicolor Stereo!!

I attempted to install the pin sound mixes last night. I had an issue because at this time you can only have one mix on the flash drive for white star. Now that i know that I’m going to try the original first

#2184 2 years ago

I have a few other issued as well. I have a loud hum from the speakers, almost like the sound is turned way up. Tech support told me to turn the sound down on pinsound but up on the machine and it still seems to be there. Anyone else have this issue with lotr or pinsound on a white star?

The sounds also seemed to be delayed and certain ones missing, but I’m going to load the original mix and try again

#2190 2 years ago

Can someone take a picture of the board behind the backpanel of their playfield? I've got a bunch of open slots for connectors on there and some bent pins. Looked like 2 smaller gauge connectors were plugged in

#2191 2 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Thanks. Is there someplace I can listen to it? (the original)

Here is wools mix thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-lotr-wool-movie-mix

#2218 1 year ago
Quoted from Raegor:

yes, more turns means stronger electromagnet

So if someone has the powerful coils, all they need to do is remove windings until they are happy with the strength.

#2249 1 year ago

I used to think Lotr was to easy, but something about my game or the way I have it set up is kicking my butt. I think I'm going to check the angle. Enjoying the butt kicking though and can't wait to put up a big score. I'm waiting on a fork switch right now before I get to try again

#2253 1 year ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Check post 1871 and 1885. The switches from Stern ST are better than the "Y" switch. Mine has been working flawlessly in the Gimli hole for a long time.

Good to know. I should be all set now but hopefully this helps someone else

#2279 1 year ago

In my area I found low amperage fuses at ace hardware for very cheap

#2281 1 year ago

Has anyone experienced and fixed an issue in their game where the ring return wireform pops out of the sword ramp? I'm thinking about getting one of if those lock washers with the teeth that only allow movement one direction. The right bit pops out of the hole and wont let the balls freely roll down the sword

20171224_110945 (resized).jpg

#2284 1 year ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

You are missing two small rubber rings to hold it in place, I believe they are 7/16" outer diameter rings. One per rail:

Nice, thanks. The rubber should do it unless I get an airball that hits it.

2 weeks later
#2322 1 year ago
Quoted from Jappie:

So good to hear I'm not the only one with this illness... We could start our own subgroup. LOTR Anonymous. I'm Jasper. (Hi Jasper) This is my story. I started out as *just* a pinball nerd... At some point, I bought my own Lord of the Rings pinball machine. That's where things started to go downhill, and fast. Now, I'm a medieval weaponry collecting nerd and a miniature toy collecting nerd as well. The only difference is that I do take the stuff out of the box.
To be fair though, that LOTR playfield just seems empty without the full Fellowship on it. It's just common sense to add Legolas, Gimli and Boromir. But then, to compete with all these good guys, you need bad guys, right? So, I added extra Ringwraiths. Of course you need the Army of the Dead to sit on the Path of the Dead, but that's a work in progress on my machine. To finish things off, I thought I needed Narsil, the Sword of the King to hang next to my machine. Why? I don't have the slightest idea. To be able to protect the pin from other nerds, I guess.
And... so yeah, now a NOS playfield as well. And I'm thinking about new cabinet decals. Where does this end?

It hasn't ended yet. You just must get pinsound and color dmd

1 week later
#2341 1 year ago
Quoted from Budman:

How much does a shaker motor add to the playing experience with this title ? I am contemplating buying a HUO and trying to figure out what I will need to add to the total cost. Is this a “ must mod”?

It barely comes on in my game. If you destroy the ring or hit balrog it will activate. Doesn't come on near as much as say in my JP for example. Although in my opinion it's a good value compared to some other mods out there

#2356 1 year ago

Is it normal for the ring to make a loud buzzing noise when it grabs the ball and holds it? Mine does it and it's quite loud and distracting

1 week later
#2384 1 year ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

One can buy figures on eBay. They are just lord of rings toy figures but getting harder to find. I added them all to my LE and switched grey to white on horse on one I sold as guy wanted it. There are threads on here on how to do it.

I'm so confused when looking at eBay for the figures. Does anyone have a picture of the box or ad of what they bought? I have surfing gandalph and missing a few factory characters. Plus I heard you can buy the army of the dead on there

#2394 1 year ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

I have a question and it's probably been brought up before. My Balrog switch seems to be intermittent. A lot of times he doesn't register. I've replaced the switch and wiring, but no change. It activates in switch test. Also Balrog doesn't seem to go all the way back, when it's moving into position to cover the spinner and it's not getting hung up on the wiring. I'm not sure if this is what's causing it. I thought I'd ask before dipping into it to deeply.
I've also played other LOTR's and it seems like this is a common problem. So, maybe it's normal.

You completely replaced the wiring that runs from the switch to the board under the playfield? That fixed my problem

1 week later
#2444 1 year ago
Quoted from C_S_S:

So I’ve been changing out the rubbers and adding pinbit’s plastic protectors on my machine. I’ve finished with all ones I thought were easy and only balrog needs new rubbers and I have the Gandalf plastics to the right of the ramp and the plastic that runs along the sword return left which I think will require the gimli Vuk return ramp to be taken out... anyone have any tips for this disassembly? I’ve been putting it off for fear it will get messy whereas other changes I could do 1 at a time and get it all working again in an hour or so. Am I overthinking the difficulty?

Just dig in and take a lot of pictures. If it's the plastic under the sword lock, most of the ramps on the right have to come off.

#2454 1 year ago
Quoted from adamross:

Anyone aware of a US distributor selling a Pinsound board compatible with LOTR?
Or better yet, anyone have a spare they want to sell?
(also posted on the pinsound thread)

I didn't see any when I looked. Shipping didn't take long from buying through the website

2 weeks later
#2494 1 year ago
Quoted from Morhaus:

Does anyone know how and where to wire an LED light from Path of Dead figures? Doing it myself. Got some 3mm Green LED lights with open ended wiring, not sure how to attach to field.....

Check post 2481...

#2506 1 year ago
Quoted from pipes:

How do you remove the Balrog figure to change the bulb in there? I removed the two screws (one on either side) and it looks like that's all that's holding it to the mech but it doesn't seem to want to come off. I can pull it forward and partially expose the bulb socket but it doesn't want to come all the way off. I'm just scared I'm going to f*** it up. What am I missing?

The manual really helps here so you can see how it goes together. I usually pull the mech after disconnecting the wires and then there’s a metal cover if I remember right with more screws holding the molded figure on. Someone will chime in, or check the manual

#2512 1 year ago
Quoted from adamross:

Thanks, unfortunately I'm running off MAC which I believe studio isn't compatible with. Will the pinsound board unpack the rar file?

If I remember right, that rar file is the unpacked version. It saves a ton of time vs. Having the board unzip it. It's a huge file right? If so, yeah just drop it on there and plug in the usb

#2514 1 year ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

I believe the Woolmix is already in .wav format. But when you guys say 'drop it on there', you do mean 'extract the files from the .rar archive' right?

I'll check my computer when I get home. I believe I just downloaded his file, created a folder called audio on my usb drive, and then put that file in there. No unzipping. If that's not right the pinsound will tell you no file found

#2521 1 year ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Question about pinsound.
When you boot the piball, is it working directly, as the classical stern board, or is there a delay for the pinsound to initialize?
That's a point that would distinguish pinsound and raspisound for me, as the latter one has a 20 sec boot delay..

Pinsound takes at least 10s for the first generation to boot up. Idk about their new version. Much slower than stock

2 weeks later
#2613 1 year ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Anyone know if this is a known problem with LOTR? This ramp keeps popping out of the two holes. All the time. For now I've bent the ramp pieces down and its working for now but looks like crap because you can tell they've been bent. Any suggestions to permanently fix this problem?

I had that problem. There are supposed to be post rubbers to hold the ends of the ramp to the sword right ramp. Just slip them on the underside, can't see them and they stop that.

1 month later
#2881 1 year ago
Quoted from FlipsMcgee:

Also tracking this...
Got the Pinsound set up! For some reason, I can’t get other sound files to work, but the one I loaded from Pinsound works great and is a HUGE improvement! Must have for any lotr owner, given sound is the one not-minor issue with this pin imo.
Also got the Mt. Doom mod...love it!

My memory is the whitestar setup currently doesn't allow to change between mixes. Just load your favorite

#2929 1 year ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

So a huge tree landed on my house during the Tornado this week right on top of my gameroom. Took forever to get everything out of there but I finally got the machine to my parents house that has power and was able to boot up LOTR with no problems at all. https://imgur.com/a/mPEtmSR
So then I cleaned the getway up, brought it inside and set it up and she wont boot. Checked all the fuses and the glass is broken on the 8amp fuse near coin door power supply. I replaced it when I got home today and still doesn't do anything, rest of the fuses look good but I am worried that it could have been a power surge before hand since the tree ripped the power from our house.
The 6 leds on the driver board are all lighting up but I am getting a solid red for d19 and d21 but d20 is never turning over. It looks like the game wants to boot with the dmd right when you turn it on but its just a microsecond and its gone, just making a wierd static noise when trying to boot.
Any help on where to start would be greatly appreciated this is the only valuable from my house I care about.
edit * - woops meant to post this on getaway forum page, please disregard

Ouch. That's a big tree. Hopefully your insurance is taking care of everything. Pinball isn't as much fun without a roof over your head

1 month later
#3085 1 year ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

Where can I get this cliffy protector in the Pippin lane under the blue rubber? It is posted in the LOTR gallery, I suppose I can try messaging the guy who posted it but didnt want to creep him about a picture he posted 5 years ago.
Almost all the machines I see for sale have serious wear underneath that blue rubber bracket including my own and this would stop the issue from happening or getting worse.

Just ask cliffy for that protector. He doesn't advertise them, but he makes and sells it. I have one on my game too.

4 weeks later
#3158 1 year ago

I had a great game yesterday. I was able to get to and complete there and back again for the first time. What an amazing game. I'll never be selling mine.

20180721_183131 (resized).jpg
5 months later
#3537 11 months ago

While we are on the topic, does anyone have an external sub along with pinsound? The pinsound guys told me to use the headphone jack on the pinsound original, but I barely hear my sub like that.

Can someone look at my setup and let me know if that's how you do it too?

IMG_20190105_102851 (resized).jpg
#3540 11 months ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I just hooked up my pinsound+ a few days ago and made no changes to the speaker wire I have soldered to the cabinet speaker terminals going out to my sub input. Sounds as loud as it did pre install.
For what it's worth, I have one PSW10 running on my LOTR & MET and it handles them both fine. I personally wouldn't hook two pins up to the same input but to each their own.....

So you hooked up to the cabinet speaker. Do you hear the sub like that? I can't tell I have a sub at all the way pinsound recommended to hook it up

2 weeks later
#3631 10 months ago

Has anyone had reset issues with a whitestar game? Mine has reset twice now after about an hour of playing. Measuring 4.9 volts at the board. Is this to low? this issue isn't happening consistently

#3634 10 months ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Quite often this is related to 5V dropping below watchdog threshold. If the 5V is good on the I/O driver board, check the connector from CN2 on the CPU / sound board to J16 on the I/O power driver board, especially J16 seems to get crispy over time resulting in voltage drops and resets. Reseating J16 and CN2 might help solve the problem temporarily
For more info, see pinwiki

I pulled and reseated both of those connectors and I'm going to see if that fixes it. If not, I was made aware the 5v can be adjusted which I'll try next.

All my mods are on an external power supply. No recent changes, but it's been a while since I played it this much.

#3638 10 months ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

While we are on the topic, does anyone have an external sub along with pinsound? The pinsound guys told me to use the headphone jack on the pinsound original, but I barely hear my sub like that.
Can someone look at my setup and let me know if that's how you do it too?
[quoted image]

Just to follow up on this. Tonight I soldered speaker wire directly to the cabinet speaker. Hooked it up to my sub and not only is the sub still not working, but I had little to nothing coming out of the cab speaker. Disconnected from the sub and it's all back to normal. So at this point there seems to be no way to be able to use a sub with pinsound.

For reference, the other line in channel is connected to MMR and sounds fantastic

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 41.00
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballtilt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside