IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider multibrawlr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#816 7 years ago

You can thank my cell phone and overall inexperience with Pinside for the less-than-stellar quality pictures, but count me in the club, too.

Extremely amazing game overall, and one of my absolute favorite pinball machines of all time. It really does play out like some huge fantasy adventure quest, what with the long and perilous journey you must take to reach Valinor.

A "keeper" for me.

20160707_090957_(resized).jpg20160707_090957_(resized).jpg

20160707_090939_(resized).jpg20160707_090939_(resized).jpg

20160707_090950_(resized).jpg20160707_090950_(resized).jpg

20160707_091010_(resized).jpg20160707_091010_(resized).jpg

20160707_091019_(resized).jpg20160707_091019_(resized).jpg

#821 7 years ago
Quoted from fathom:

I've had mine for 6 months and really enjoy it. I just played a few games and wondered that before each new ball the display say "U K skill shot".
Is that normal and does it reference the UPPER KICKER? (not sure what that would be) or the country?

I'm not entirely sure, but perhaps that's referring to the Orthanc (left tower to Paths of the Dead) skill shot? Or maybe the United Kingdom All-Skill post between the flippers (which probably isn't on your game).

I've never seen that on the display on mine. Weird...

#824 7 years ago

I've heard it's pretty common, but the Palantir target on my LOTR is bent to the side from repeated hits. I can bend it back to center no problem, but it won't last a couple of games before it's bent to the side again. Anything I can put on the target to keep it still?

#829 7 years ago

On mine the wood looks like it's doing that in the back a little, though you can't really see it from the player's perspective and the target blocks it anyway, so it doesn't bother me. I'll be sure to get the splint, though. No problem.

Anybody have Cliffy protectors installed on their LOTR? I bought them but I haven't installed them yet. My machine's a HUO and I try to clean and wax the playfield frequently. I did put a plastic protector from Pinbits on the Gimli saucer and the Shire VUK area.

They really do seem to be a pain to install -- at least for me because I haven't removed much off my playfield before (only unscrewed the ramp and the plastic shield above the left outlane to install the Arwen protector.

#838 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

I have just taken the Cliffy out of my Orthanc Tower hole. Far too many rejected shots.

My thoughts are that some Cliffys are an absolute must on scoops with a lot of activity like AFM, RBION, XMEN and Tron. Lot of wear can easily build up on these particular ones.

But my LOTR hasn't seen really any wear yet, despite owning it for a few years now. Not a big fan of the metal protector covering a little bit of the artwork but they are effective, that's for sure, if not causing more rejected shots.

Quoted from Nevus:

I've re-discovered my LOTR LE lately and just read (scrolled to look at pictures) through this whole thread.
Mods I don't have I've that look cool:
Ring flasher mod tied to red light in backbox behind the eye.
Ring bright red LED flasher
Red Speaker lights tied to ring flasher
Sword tip cover decal
Stuff I have that looks / works good:
Mirror blades
Brass lollipop side rails
Plastic protectors
Large Arwen plastic protector
Shire sticker
Cliffys
Ball guide replacement for sneeze guard (not installed now).
POTD with illuminated figures
Gandalf with Shadowfax (Lighted staff)
Ring shooter
Ring speaker covers
Color DMD
Frosted LEDs in GI
I also have upgraded flipper child's but nothing to compare it against. It came that way when I got it.
All this stuff reads a bit silly, but it looks pretty much like it would have come this way if you just walk up and play it.

Looks awesome! Have you considered getting the other action figures for the playfield (like the Hobbits and Gollum on the slingshots)?

That Gandalf on Shadowfax figure has been getting harder and harder to find, but looks great installed IMO.

#841 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

I agree. I would say that the clear plastic for the Sam hole is a must though.

I've got that on mine. The Arwen protector's also really necessary too if you want to protect that plastic from damage.

#858 7 years ago

My playfield's got great color registration, though just a handful of tiny flaws that I've noticed, which don't effect game play at all, but are there...

The middle "frame" for The Two Towers on the lower right corner seems messed up? I believe it was like this when I got the game. Printing defect with the ink? Perhaps it could be touched up?

Another thing was hairline cracks around ring insert, it appears. Probably repainting could take care of it?

Lastly, I've got what appears to be some damage in the playfield above the right inlane. Had mylar protector installed when I got the game (I replaced it with some that I cut when it got really dirty). Never seen anything like it. I've just considered it to be another mistake from the factory line, but what do I know?

Still plays really fast and furious, and is in otherwise superb shape. Fantastic game.

Screenshot_2016-07-11-16-20-55_(resized).pngScreenshot_2016-07-11-16-20-55_(resized).png

20160711_162558_(resized).jpg20160711_162558_(resized).jpg

20160711_162610_(resized).jpg20160711_162610_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#930 7 years ago
Quoted from Neuromancer87:

Just bought mine, I'm in the club!!

Congratulations and welcome!

#931 7 years ago
Quoted from Robotronx:

If its really bad I am out, but if it just needs to be cleaned up I will be happy with that. I like cleaning up and machine and doing mods myself. I had a LOTR a few years ago and let it go; I was new to pinball and did not know what I had. This will be a game I keep for a long time so I will be thinking about what you said, would not want to regret having a junkie one.
The games I have are fast and tend to have shorter games so I think a longer playing LOTR will fit in really nice.
Thanks you for everyone's input and I will report back.

Remember to keep your eyes peeled as some LOTR machines have poor color registration, where oftentimes the playfield is some off-color tone like yellow. Can't tell in the picture but just something to watch out for.

Later run games also have the figure of Gandalf the Gray on the playfield instead of the rarer Gandalf the White on Shadowfax. Minor difference but worth mentioning.

Can't tell much in the picture, but also watch out for any wear on the three scoops. Arwen plastic that the ball bounces on when exiting the Paths of the Dead can sometimes be damaged, too.

Good luck! Great game nonetheless.

3 years later
#4745 4 years ago

Code version running on mine. Is there another update or is this the most recent?

20190831_204903 (resized).jpg20190831_204903 (resized).jpg
#4747 4 years ago
7 months later
#5770 4 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

My best time yet![quoted image]

Nice one!

#5773 4 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Cheers!
This is my second LOTR. On my first one, the ring was much easier to hit, and I think my best time was about 30 secs.
On this current pin, the ring is much harder to hit, so my best time was 56 seconds for the last year!

Do you have Destroy the Ring set for one-ball or two-ball play? I currently have mine set for one ball, but may try the other option sometime.

10 months later
#6800 3 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

One part of my LOTR has bothered me since I've got the game a year ago: someone did a really ugly "fix" to the area around the flipperbuttons. This looks much better I think [quoted image][quoted image]

Shame that these games were originally shipped without protection in those areas, but it's great that people have come up with cool ways to hide the wear.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 12.95
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 7.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider multibrawlr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=multibrawlr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.