Topic Stats

• 5,768 posts
  • 506 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by pipes
  • Topic is favorited by 260 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,249 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

7E451EA3-09E1-4F5C-ACFA-FE687F232B7C (resized).jpeg
7B2166C2-E26C-4BD6-9E82-8ABE2B177059 (resized).jpeg
9E2A17AF-4294-49D2-9CB2-430DC28728CE (resized).jpeg
8C14E1C0-7A5D-4A48-996C-C9624AEEECF9 (resized).jpeg
650B0677-0D26-4A1A-9600-4025F0588BBD (resized).jpeg
BD2DCCFF-7408-446C-8C47-F010B75DDA8C (resized).jpeg
DD7A116F-8BC9-49DA-A1F9-9B27547C230F (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
029 (resized).jpg
014 (resized).jpg
20200326_150733 (resized).jpg
20200326_150726 (resized).jpg
3C94DABB-90DC-4310-BC8C-BBD33827CFEF (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20200322-131925_Drive (resized).jpg
20200322_122020 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (2 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (9 months ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrsmiley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4968 6 months ago

Picked my LotR up on Saturday, really one of the pins I've been looking forward for quite some time. Finally found a decent machine in the area and not completely overpriced. Thankfully it is still all incandescent lights which I think the LotR is one of the few machines that go with that look, even when it looks a little dark compared to the ACDC next

MVIMG_20191005_201336 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20191005_201401 (resized).jpg
#4978 6 months ago

Im also trying colored incandescent bulbs. Ordered green and reds today for the back board. Will do 2 or 3 greens for the path of the dead, others will be red highlighting mount doom and Mordor. Can share some pics hopefully on the weekend.
If it looks nice might think of some more spots.

#4979 6 months ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I had good luck on my LOTR just using colored incandescent bulbs. I used a few LED's in key inserts like the KEEP letters. I used some amber incandescents in some of the GI. The effect is very subdued and IMHO looks great.

Love to see some pics!

#5016 5 months ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

A good friend let me know that the ball isn’t always supposed to be pulled through to the wire form when starting a mode. Only certain modes do that. Other modes just have the ball drop from the ring to the Playfield.

Experienced the same on my LotR. Some mode starts pull the ball back, some drop it to the playfield. Don't know if thats on purpose or not.
Have not yet payed attention to recognize a pattern.

1 week later
#5100 5 months ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

Thx. So i down loaded code. Unzipped, and there are about 10 files and a read me. Should i delete read me file before sticking the usb in the pin.

LotR runs the Stern Whitestar boardset which does not yet offer upgrades via USB. So in order to update code you need to physically swap the Game as well as Display ROM (behind the DMD) with a ROM that has the latest code on it. You can either buy or burn the ROM yourself.
Marco or any other pinball shop will do. Be aware you need both Game and Display ROM, latest version is 10.0 or 10.02 Game ROM if you want to run a shaker motor. If you are going for 10.02 you need an additional PAL chip.

Game Rom 10.0: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/EPROM1871
Display 10.0: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/EPROM1873

#5104 5 months ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

I guess I would have figured that out when I went to find the usb connection. Thx for that heads up. I just bought both the eproms. So all I have to do is take out the old ones out, put in new ones and reboot.

Yep, try to not damage/break any pins while taking out the old ones. Use a flat head screw driver to carefully lift them up. Also pay attention to the notch at both roms and replace the new ones with the same orientation as the old ones.

#5162 5 months ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Ahh, now I understand, had that issue as well. Just cut a piece of clear acrylic in quarter-circle form with a hole to mount it to the path of the dead. On mine it doubles as a place to mount the missing Legolas minifigure. If you zoom in the on attached pic of my LOTR you can see it.[quoted image]

Nice side art blades, where did you get that from?

3 weeks later
#5319 4 months ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Does anyone have this path of the dead figure, or know where I can get one?
Pic below for reference:[quoted image]

All figures are from the Play Along sets, this one Army of the Dead. Try looking on Ebay or Amazon.

amazon.com link »

1 month later
#5486 87 days ago

Finally installed some new mirror blades today as the old ones were crap and scratched. Also the previous owner glued them to the sides. Hell of a job to get them off.
Now very happy with the look of my LotR, all incandescent except the ring and balrog flashers.
IMG_20200111_172017 (resized).jpgIMG_20200111_172026 (resized).jpgIMG_20200111_172031 (resized).jpg

#5488 87 days ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Wow, nice looking! I always have an internal argument of mirror blades vs art blades and wind up buying neither.

Thanks! I have the feeling art blades make the pin look much more narrow like a shoe box. That's why i prefer mirror blades.

2 weeks later
#5510 72 days ago

After numerous scores around 60-80mil as my old GC, just had an awesome game with a new GC of 133mil and destroy the ring of 1,32min.
Had 3 extra balls and destroyed the ring twice. I know probably nothing spectacular but I'm still pumped minutes after
Love this PIN!
IMG_20200126_222005 (resized).jpgIMG_20200126_222012 (resized).jpg

#5516 71 days ago

On 2 Ball DTR one ball is captured in the magnet and with the second ball you have to knock the first one through. So only one ball needs to pass the switch behind the board.
Check if your switch is working properly in the switch test. Use a Ball to test it.

Mine was also broken and after replacing it it works fine.
It needs a clear and powerful shot to knock the first ball out. Also had weaker shots when the magnet captured both balls. Replaced the balls with new ones, so far it did not happen again.

Same as pinballjj, had a DTR yesterday when the magnet failed to capture the ball due to a powerful shot and after shooting a second ball into play it gave me DTR instantly.

3 weeks later
#5584 50 days ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Finally, FINALLY got to making this mod I have been wanting to do for the past three years. The factory Orthanc always looked like Stern punted on that particular model, so I spent the good part of my weekend doing a total redesign. Wow, was it tough modelling around such strange angles and limited space, but I am really happy with how it is shaping up!
These pics represent an older build - the lighting will change quite a bit as well as some details and quality of the model itself. I'm still debating whether or not to use red lighting (as pictured) or white lighting.
The final will be a super simple install hooked up to the aux 12v circuit for lighting. Any feedback would be awesome! When it gets closer to production, I'll start a thread for it.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks amazing, great work! Also interested in the final version.

2 weeks later
#5633 34 days ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Hi,
What's the best option to fix the palantir switch from going back and throwing the ball in the air, above flippers ?
I've read about an alternative fixation, from Capcom but was not able to find that, in Europe at least.

Check if your metal bracket behind it is bent. Mine was bent back from all the hits already going into the wood causing a lot of airballs.
Just replace the metal bracket and a new foam pad and since then had 0 air balls off the target.

#5635 34 days ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Yes, it's bent.
Any reference for a replacement?

Part number is 535-6452-00
There is also a complete Kit but changing the part should to the trick.

#5642 33 days ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

seems not the bracket behind the target, this ref points me to a VUK bracket ?

Its that part you need to replace:
https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsegastern-standup-target-back-plate.html

535-6452-00 (resized).jpg
#5655 33 days ago
Quoted from insx:

Has anyone else had an LED fail on the Elf/Dwarf/Man board? I'm thinking that LEDs are pretty reliable so it's probably a solder joint with the connector.

Yes have 2 broken Elf LEDs, reflowed solder but still broken. Will replace all 3 Elf.

#5657 33 days ago
Quoted from insx:

I replaced the broken LED but it was brighter so I replaced all three.

Will do the same. Its 5mm 12V LEDs right?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 39.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrsmiley.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside