IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ktownhero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3434 5 years ago

Hi all,

So I'm the forunate winner of an eBay sale on a stock but excellent condition machine (with exception of pinsound subwoofer). This will be my first time having a slightly older machine, my only other being Star Wars Pro. What types of things should I have on hand for a game like this? I assume having a handful of bulbs is a good idea.

This was manufactured in 2004, is there anything in particular I should watch or look to change right away when I receive it?

Thanks so much for your help

1 week later
#3463 5 years ago

My LotR is arriving today, shipped from UT to NJ. Can't wait to fire her up

#3471 5 years ago

I received my LotR this past weekend. Man, what an incredible machine.

Anyway, it's a mostly stock machine built in 2004 and is in solid shape. It has some plastic protectors around the field (arwen, shire, few others) and some extra figures, but otherwise all of the electronics, playfield and lights are stock. It definitely will benefit from a tear down and rubber replacement. While I am doing that I am thinking about one of these playfield protectors (link below). It's 0.05mm thick PET-G and seems like it would be worth it. The playfield right now has no signs of wear that I can find which is nice, though running my fingers over it it does feel a little rough rather than smooth. Naturally a good cleaning and waxing will resolve that, but does anyone have experience with using one of the full-field protectors for an LotR or LotR LE?

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/mCdues1kOECSJYIp70RMiQ?categoryid=22&category=Playfield%20Protectors&name=The%20Lord%20of%20the%20Rings%20%7C%202003

#3473 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Not needed on a modern clear coat game in home use that gets regular upkeep. Just wipe down the PF every couple hundred games or so, keep the balls clean and cycle out when they get nicked, and wax it every few cycles.. and you'll be fine.
PF protectors are good for games with prior wear, no clearcoat, or where they get heavy usage like on location.

I appreciate the response. Regardless of need, I am curious about anyone's experience using one of these on LotR.

#3487 5 years ago

When the magnet in my ring catches the ball, it starts to shake and rattle a bit before being released. It's fairly loud like a chattering sound. Is that normal or do I need to adjust something?

#3499 5 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

ktownhero:
I have the playfield protector for LOTR. I, unfortunately, have a ring plastic (the large one in front of the flippers) that wasn't flush with the playfield which created a dip spot. I decided to get the protector as the playfield had been routed and was worn well in some areas (I bought it when I was new to pinball and easy to take advantage of). Regardless, it is great and while the ball may act a bit different, I prefer it to trying to clearcoat the playfield or get a new playfield.

Insightful, thank you. I decided to order one from Cointaker since I was already ordering LEDs anyway.

The machine I got is in good shape but needs a good teardown and cleaning. I'm going to have the playfield apart, so I figured I might as well just put a protector down while I'm there. The machine has some raised inserts that don't affect game play but still irk me.

#3518 5 years ago
Quoted from PapaKilo:

Just played a game after installing the APB Medium coils. Wow what a nice upgrade. They really do feel like how the stock ones feel at game start but last forever! Add another happy customer to the list. Also shipping was super fast. I placed my order at like 4pm on Monday.

Do they buzz like the stock ones when held? I'd buy them for that reason alone lol.

#3525 5 years ago

So, it turns out that the buzzing was a little more than "normal" for me. It turned out that the subway behind the ring was a bit low, causing the ball to touch the top of it. It would only go "through" the ring when the stars aligned correctly, otherwise would chatter a great deal and usually fall out the front. I adjusted the subway and it's both much quieter and more reliable now.

1 week later
#3551 5 years ago
Quoted from MANTO1975:

Hi everyone, I owned a standard LOTR machine and just recently sold it and have now purchased a LOTR LE machine, my standard machine had a shaker motor fitted to it but my LE doesn't have one and I would also like to install one on my LE, what shaker motor would you recommend and where could I purchase one from? what other mods would you recommend that I add to the machine. the LE is also fitted with a LCD COLOR DMD.
cheers
Trevor
Brisbane
Australia

Stern Rev B. Pinball Life sells an unofficial one for $99 or the official one for $149. I don't know any reason to pay more for the official one on a machine that is already out of warranty anyway.

#3554 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

The Stern $149 shaker listed only says LOTRLE, it still works on the regular LOTR I take it? That's probably the only mod I don't have on my LOTR. Is a Whitestar compatible shaker a recent adaptation? Why the heck wouldn't I already have one on my LOTR? Hmmmm....... I'm terribly vexed!
Is there a PBL $99 version for LOTR, I don't see it on the site.

LotR standard doesn't support shaker. You have to update to 10.02 and swap in a PAL chip. Then your LotR is effectively an LE.

So either of the motors work for LotR. The reason it isn't listed is that adding it is really a hack.

#3560 5 years ago

So I got my LotR less than a month ago and I've gone buck-wild. I know this is a lifetime keeper so I just said screw it and went all out.

ColorDMD
Shaker Motor (with necessary chip replacements)
Anypin DMD+
AotD figures
Cliffy's
LED Conversion w/ LED OCD
Target decals
Titan silicone conversion
Shire art
Decorated plastic ramp fix
Flipper bat toppers
Speaker acrylics
Full playfield protector (awaiting shipment)
Pinball Pro subwoofer (was the only mod it came with)

I also have a Gandalf the White on Shadowfax sitting in a box but to be honest I kind of like the Gandalf the Grey that's in it. Plus, it makes more sense from the movie perspective to have him near the Balrog Is there anything I missed that I should do? lol.

In addition to that I did a 75%ish teardown and vaccuumed/cleaned it out well. When I get the protector I'll do almost a 100% teardown and clean the playfield of all residue.

The machine showed up in good shape but dirty; it now looks beautiful. Everything works 100% and the only issue I have is a very rare restart which I think is from adding the Anypin DMD+ so I'll just reseat it.

Love this game.

#3564 5 years ago

The shaker integration into this game is great. It doesn't make any noise at all, just makes the machine rumble. On the other hand, the shaker in my Star Wars Pro sounds like a helicopter taking off every time it goes on. Sounds like shit comparatively lol.

#3566 5 years ago

Who says LEDs ruin the look of this game?

MVIMG_20190110_190901 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190110_190901 (resized).jpg
#3572 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Any note on where to get the two roms from? John's site is still down from 2017. I just found the other thread walking through how to do it.

Matt's Basement Arcade for the CPU and Pinball Life for the PAL chip

#3573 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Did you change lighting in the back box? Pinball Life has a flasher for the eye of sauron that synchs with the ring ramp spinner target. It adds interest to the backbox.

I've seen that, seems cool. I may check it out down the line some time.

Quoted from latenite04:

Looks good. What bulbs did you use for the gi?

I used all retro bulbs from Cointaker for the GI. All warm white except in the rear I used a couple green on the left and 3 red on the right. Also put a green in the light under the path of the dead.

I'm not entirely sure I like/need the exaggerated green in the rear left, but it certainly looks nice. I have some extra warm white I'm gonna try.

I followed this guide verbatim: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-and-rubber-maps-for-lord-of-the-rings

Only different is I used warm white retros in the shooter lane lights. His guide calls for mini 555 but mine are in #44 sockets. Not sure if that was an error or if some machines are different. Either way, it's a great look. I paired it with LED OCD.

#3582 5 years ago

I don't quite understand why many of these LED conversions/kits include a bunch of purple/pink and random green lighting? Just seems really off to me every time I see it... Granted, it's personal choice and I totally respect that.

I understand a little green in the rear left and a little red in the rear right, but why all over the playfield and why those colors? lol.

#3591 5 years ago

Technically a protective plastic over Arwen would be the most accurate version of how the game was "intended" to be played. It's supposed to plop and go who-knows-where

#3596 5 years ago

The Gimli VUK is driving me a little crazy. I don't have issues with the actual kicker power, but the switch. What drives me nuts is it always works perfectly when I go into the diagnostic menu and activate it with my finger or a ball... But then during games -- AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIMES -- it won't register and I have to wait for the ball search to come on.

I cleaned the portion accessible from the top with alcohol, that didn't really help much. I haven't taken the whole thing apart yet, but any advice? Should I just replace or disassemble and clean the switch?

#3601 5 years ago

It isn't clear to me what is going on there and why it works. You cut the fork off and then bent what is left under itself? Don't you want to bend it upward so it puts more leverage on the switch?

#3606 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

The arm presses on a white micro switch at the base of the arm. If the arm is bent incorrectly, the switch will always be pressed down, not press down at all or not press down with the appropriate weight, location, or motion of the ball. All switches of this sort work this way.

Right, I get that... But the suggested switch from ST works the same way...

#3621 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Nah, it's def the beard dick.

The beard dick is there on the regular version too, it's just not outlined lol

#3632 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Has anyone had reset issues with a whitestar game? Mine has reset twice now after about an hour of playing. Measuring 4.9 volts at the board. Is this to low? this issue isn't happening consistently

After I put my ColorDMD and nvram in, I had several random resets but they stopped and haven't reoccurred in weeks now. Did you make any changes to the machine?

1 week later
#3666 5 years ago

I use Mother's Pure Brazilian Carnauba Gold. Best of the best.

#3706 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Yes, and I could live with it too given the cool hardware, real backglass, and shaker motor that comes with it!

The necessary roms + shaker motor are an easy sub $150 upgrade to the original machine.

2 weeks later
#3812 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

I have three I am looking at currently.....
What worries me is that I may buy, then Stern announces a Vault. That is why I sold mine 4 years ago. I mean, they HAVE TO make a vault right?

LotR comes with it heavy licensing and one must imagine that JJP potentially has a lock on the LotR/Hobbit/Tolkien license at the moment. It's possible that the Hobbit and LotR are licensed separately, but nobody really knows. Also, you can find some pretty nice LotR's for sub 6k and I'm rather confident than a vault edition will cost more than that.

#3819 5 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I would pick an original LOTR playfield in good condition over Stern's current crop every time.

I dunno. I love my LotR but even with a perfect quality playfield the art is pretty atrocious. I'd take a high res version with correct colors any day.

EDIT: And I supposedly have one of the "good" playfields with Frodo's eyes correctly colored.

#3821 5 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I wasn't considering art rather durability. I own a lot of Stern's and the quality has dropped considerably in my opinion.

Word. I was thinking purely the playfield and not playfield parts or anything.

#3823 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

What batches were correctly coloured? What’s the difference?

I'm no expert on the subject, I've just heard that there are certain early playfields where the color pallette is off -- apparently it makes Frodo's eyes look red. Someone else will have to chime in to give details.

#3830 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Installed the shaker motor today. I have to say I think this is the best shaker motor I've had. JP and IMDN it's too much but this one is just right to accent the action in the game.

Yeah I put a shaker in mine not long ago and it's such great integration. On my Star Wars, the shaker is way over-the-top and rattles loudly. On LotR I can't hear it unless I'm paying attention, only feel it -- which is perfect.

#3833 5 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

How do you walk away and restart the game where you left off?

Between balls, either a drain or a lock. As long as you don't have auto plunge on, it will sit there until you play.

#3835 5 years ago

You can pop the door open when the ball is resting somewhere like the Gimli hole, Orthanic or the Shire as well. Just don't close it until you're ready to go again

#3845 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I made mine very easily. I just took off the POTD mini PF and used a pattern trim router bit with a bearing in my router table to cut the plastic down to the exact size of the POTD. A few holes drilled for screw access, some stand offs and I was good to go.

Not discounting this at all, but you can get the plastic from Pinbits for like $20. I found the figurines brand new in the box on mercari.com for $20 as well. Also found a Gandalf on Shadowfax there.

#3864 5 years ago
Quoted from rave24:

My closest spot to play (about an hour away) just got one
[quoted image]

For the love of god, I still do not understand why so many people put purple lighting in a LOTR? Red in the top right corner makes sense because that goes along with Mordor, but purple!? To each his own, I would just love to know the logic behind it? The rest of the lighting is done very tastefully in that machine.

#3886 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I'm with you. Although I have replaced the flashers with LED's, all other lighting is incandescent and I prefer the warm yellowish old timey natural feel for this title. Almost all of the other pins I have owned that weren't already LED when manufactured, I put LED's in. For this title I just could never bring myself to do it.

It's definitely possible with modern LEDs along with an LED OCD to do it tastefully. The key is using single smd, warm white bulbs for anything above the playfield and only use colors where you are merely enhancing what is already there, not arbitrarily adding purple bulbs or whatever lol.

The OCD by default runs the bulbs at 85% which softens them even further. Q

I only have 1 incandescent left in mine, the Ringwraith red tinted flasher. I think it still holds very true to the original feel of the game.

MVIMG_20190110_190901 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190110_190901 (resized).jpg
#3889 5 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

Are people using the LED OCD GIzmo with led's in the GI? Do they look fine without it?

I am not using the GIzmo, GI works great.

#3895 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I did LED and OCD in my previous LOTR. I went with 2 SMD warm from Comet, and although it looked great, it doesn't look like stock.
So with 1 SMD, have you found that playing with the OCD settings can get it looking close to incandescent?

There's a huge brightness difference between single and double smd bulbs. I posted a pic, you tell me. I think it still very much feels like the stock lighting.

#3896 5 years ago

Here is the same shot one with LotR stock and one with LEDs...

IMG_20181214_212527 (resized).jpgIMG_20181214_212527 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190110_190901 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190110_190901 (resized).jpg
#3914 5 years ago
Quoted from jsm172:

Would like some LOTR owners opinions on side blades and rubbers. What side art does everyone like best? Do mirror blades or side art look better on this machine? For rubbers, I was thinking Titan translucent for the most part and black or red posts with red flipper rubbers?

I have Titan Competition Clear rubbers on mine except red flippers and red posts. I think it looks great.

#3948 5 years ago
Quoted from jsm172:

Folks that made the POTD mod themselves, how did you attach the green led lights to the figures? Tape them on or drill them in the actual figure?

I used hot glue but one of mine fell off, so I re-attached that one with Earthquake Putty. Been fine since. The other two are still on strong with the hot glue.

#3959 5 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

After doing a few test games, I have found that fidgeting with the left flipper assembly did not fix my weak flipper. My flipper was far stronger before I put in the medium strength coils. I have resoldered my connections, checked my EOS, and check to make sure the assembly slides through the sleeve/coil freely. I'm not sure what else to check at this point. I'm probably just going to put my old flipper coil on tonight.

Switch the coil back but try to leave everything else as in tact as possible. That way you can determine if it is the coil or something that you incorrectly reassembled.

#3964 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I just put the KOTD in the back corner of the POTD. I had the set but more than one just looked too crowded to me. I can still see the ball and lanes very clearly and nudge as needed which I like but it still has the presence of the dead figure without looking like a toy factory. Subtlety can get lost these days pretty easily.

Mine arrived like that and it is decent. The added bonus is the figure them works to cushion the ball from hitting the side wall.

I think the platform with 3 figures looks great. I think 4 might look crowded, but I can see the ball and path just fine with 3. I don't have them standing right over top the path, just along the back and right side. And I don't put one way up front.

1 week later
#4025 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I just bought a LOTR, and I seem to be missing a piece that covers the LED bulb pictured below. Does anyone have one or know where I can get one?
[quoted image]

That's the one bulb in the game that isn't going to be nicely replaced by an LED. It's the only original bulb I have kept in mine. You really just can't beat the look of the incandescent pulse in that particular case. More importantly is the fact that an LED looks like crap when it is off, and that particular light is off almost all the time.

#4027 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

*gulp* No pressure here

Hah, I didn't even see the posts about creating a proper LED replacement when I wrote that. It's a tall order, but I'm all for it! No pressure at all, just have fun with it There's nothing wrong with the one incandescent for now.

#4064 5 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

These are the nicest IMO...Same type of material as what Stern uses for theirs. Very high quality. I can take pics of them in my game if you like. Matches perfectly.
https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/lord-rings-path-pinball-sideblades/

Agreed. I like mirror blades, but one look at sillyelf's art for LoTR and it's obvious it's the best choice. It's not only high quality, original art but it follows and enhances the themes throughout the playfield: the shire is the shire, the potd is the potd, etc.

No brainer IMO for this game. I think I may have gotten the last pair recently though I noticed they are out of stock now, but I'm sure more are coming.

#4066 5 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Actually I was referring to the Retro Refurb side art. I'll post a couple of pics of these in my game later today.
[quoted image]

Those work very well for the same reason as sillyoldelfs for sure. Nice art that follows the table themes.

1 week later
#4099 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Are these still available? I couldn’t google them.

I just purchased them through the Pinside marketplace

3 weeks later
#4164 5 years ago
Quoted from CreepyTom:

Just joined the club today, are there any must have mods I need to have to enjoy the game? I plan on having it for a long time.

Color DMD in Scan mode really enhances the game a lot. I think the Shire Decal is much needed as that part of the playfield is so barebones without it. I'm also a fan of the Army of the Dead mod to add some character to that upper playfield. As stated above, the palantir mod is incredible but almost impossible to find. A new person is making them now but there's a back order list of at least a year already, and we don't even know if enough parts exist for him to make them all.

If you're into enhancing the art, there are some really great options for art blades: sillyoldelf's are my favorite, but there are also brass mirror blades which are cool and a few other art blades including ones that light up.

All in all, it's a great game. I'd suggest just giving it a good cleaning and enjoy the game.

EDIT: LEDs are controversial on this game, but IMO if you do them tastefully they really add to the game as well. You need to use an LED OCD though which is not cheap. Don't try to do LEDs without one, there is too much dimming in the game that will cause LEDs without the OCD to just flicker too much.

4 weeks later
#4258 4 years ago

Hey, isn't it awesome when you have a long first ball almost getting to DTR and think hell yeah! Then lose the 2nd and 3rd in a matter of seconds!?

Fuuuuuuuuu...

2 weeks later
#4347 4 years ago

Got my palantir mod from AUKraut yesterday. I will be installing it this afternoon, but just wanted to say it looks great even before being installed. Nice, large crystal ball with a painted "stand". Everything is put together exceptionally well! This is the type of modder that deserves every dollar he gets! Thanks!

3 weeks later
#4437 4 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

Got my sword hilt from rpgmodels, and it looks amazing!
not a huge fan of the golden blade with the hilt, though. I'll prob end up buying a regular silver one. Anyone want to trade??[quoted image]

May I ask what technique you used to put the sillyoldelf blades on? Did you pull the whole playfield? I've had mine sitting uninstalled for months!

#4456 4 years ago
Quoted from Fastfred:

Thinking of adding LED's and was wondering which ones (package deal) I should get? I see others buy from companies and was wondering which ones and why you like them and how different from others that offer these. Thank you. I can always changed the bulbs back from time to time to change it up some.

Search this thread, there are complete lists available including one by me (modified someone else's). You save a lot by just buying them individually yourself, and you can customize. The kits aren't only expensive, but they also often feature weird colors -- and they are almost always non-ghosting bulbs which won't work with LED OCD which is a far better visual experience.

3 weeks later
#4559 4 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Sillyoldelf side art is the only way to go especially if you're a fan of the books imo. It's not called "Lord of the Valcanos".....

This is true from a pure art standpoint, but I think it's important to mention that the sillyoldelf side art is extremely difficult to install and really requires that the whole playfield be taken out.

1 month later
#4858 4 years ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

my mods, minus the eye flasher in the backbox[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Get the decals for the targets and for the shire area. They aren't expensive and will really be a nice little finishing touch to all you've done.

#4873 4 years ago

Berry's makes the best vibratory tumbler. It looks just like the Frankford but the shape of the bowl is much better. It has more of a curve which causes much more action. Plus it's higher quality all around (thicker bowl, long life motor etc). I bought it direct from them for barely more than the Frankford. Just FYI. Both are good but you'll get better results and faster from a Berry's. I've had mine running practically non stop for almost a year now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
€ 7.50
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ktownhero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=ktownhero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.