IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider killerrobots.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6375 3 years ago

Hey, new to the "club" just got my LotR up and running. I was wondering if anyone else thought it was too loud? I have my volume on "1" and when you get a few modes going you can hear it through the whole house.

#6377 3 years ago

Awesome thanks. I scanned through the features but didn't see anything.

5 months later
#6720 3 years ago

I think this is a common problem on Sterns of that era. I had the same issue in my TSPP and I resolved it by rebuilding them. I think it has to do with the coil stop being worn. Search the threads for "Flipper Buzz" and there is a bunch of stuff.

#6739 3 years ago

I have been thinking about getting a Pinsound upgrade on one of my machines to try it out. I wasn't sure it would be worth it for me. I am not really an audiophile who needs top notch sound quality. However heard good things so I decided to go with my LotR because it is probably my most played game, plus some of the callouts get old and I was thinking about removing them ("500 more...250 more".

So I got the board and new 2.1 speakers and installed them yesterday and wow, it really makes a difference. I downloaded a user made sound package (LOTR_Sjoend) and it makes the whole experience so much more immersive. It was pretty straight forward to install. Took me a little while to understand how to install new sounds but there is really good instructions on line.

If anyone is considering one I would highly recommend.

#6743 3 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Glad you took the leap. Feel free to load multiple tracks on your drive, you can easily switch between them to try the different ones out. I highly recommend you check out the Wool and Hawkhole mixes available.
Easily the best mod for the best game in my lineup.

I tried the Wool one and the sound balance was off (music too quiet). The one I have is an updated Wool one for the new card (I think?). Anyway it sounds great.

It is funny but one of the biggest benefits is that the Path of the Dead has multiple call-outs now and it makes it refreshing to go up there. I was getting pretty sick of hearing the same sounds over and over again.

#6746 3 years ago

I will try out Hawkhole.

1 week later
#6782 3 years ago

I just replaced mine and it was kind of tricky. I can't remember exactly what worked but you have to slide one side in farther than it would operate until it is close and then force it the final millimeter or so. Keep playing with it.

I had the same initial thought as the ramp is one solid piece.

#6784 3 years ago

I would go to the switch level menu and check all the switches and note what is triggering multiple switches. Based on those results you can then follow this guide:

https://homepinballrepair.com/pinball-switch-lamp-matrix-troubleshooting/

#6788 3 years ago

Give me a little while but I can take off my glass and see if I can take a picture of the install.

#6789 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

This thing is driving me nuts, I can't get it in and I'm scared to force it too hard.

Before I do that, are you sure you have the right one? This is what I ordered.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-7088-01

#6790 3 years ago

Actually harder to get off than on but here is what I did.

Insert your left side so it is sitting on top of the limit switch and the right side is positioned higher on the ramp. Like this:

0218211018_HDR (resized).jpg0218211018_HDR (resized).jpg

Then drag the right end down the ramp surface until you get to the hole and it pops in. I was also pulling the side of the ramp away from the spinner but it doesn't deflect much so this might not help at all. There will be some resistance but mine survived.

0218211019a_HDR (resized).jpg0218211019a_HDR (resized).jpg

Another view:

0218211019_HDR (resized).jpg0218211019_HDR (resized).jpg

#6793 3 years ago

That sounds right to me. I have also had the diode solder come loose so wiggle them and make sure they are attached well.

#6794 3 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

I bought one of these modded Balrog toppers with the lights second hand. Anyone have one and what light did you tie it into under the playfield?
Thanks
[quoted image]

Is it just me or does the Balrog look like Spike from Gremlins?

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
1 month later
#6973 3 years ago

I just destroyed the ring in 39:51 and that destroyed my previous. Curious what other people's best were?

1 month later
#7169 2 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

My game is freshly shopped and now am getting some games on it. Trying to destroy the ring.
My friend destroys the ring at 16:40 in this video.

In the very same game I have about 3 failed attempts at 19:20 where the ball goes right through the ring but nothing happens.

I have adjusted and checked my spinner switch and it is good and the ring opto and magnet work just fine. Must the be the switch in behind the back panel right? I adjusted and tested it during my shop job but maybe it needs to be bent down a bit more. What do you think?
I thought factory settings were where you had to knock the ball out of the ring to destroy it (2 shots) but my current settings the ring does not hold the ball so I will have to check my settings as well.
Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!!!

I had the exact same issue and it was simply that the rear switch (behind the back plane) was flaky. The bent metal trigger on mine was bent and rebent a bunch I couldn't get it set right. I ended up buying a new switch and trigger and got it working. I think on mine the microswitch had worn and had a little play in the switch which required more throw than the ball could give. The new switch was tighter and the wire was pre-set. It is a pretty easy repair if I remember correctly and not terribly expensive.

It sucks to miss the ring because a switch doesn't fire. I think this is the only mod in the game that relies solely on this switch. If your opto wasn't working you would see it effect a bunch of other things.

It is easy to test in the switch menu. Just roll a ball through over and over and make sure it always triggers the back switch. Mine was hit or miss. If I set it too far down it missed and if I bent it up the ball would get stuck.

#7170 2 years ago

The switch is part number: 180-5057-00

It is $4.49 from Marco:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=180-5057-00

I think there is a little soldering but it just took a minute.

#7173 2 years ago

Right on thanks for all the info! I can see how that switch needs to be just perfect! The back trough is one of the only parts that I did not remove when I shopped it. Looks like a pain in the ass! If I need to replace the microswitch I will do that. I have some switch bodies in stock and would hope to reuse the actuator.

No you don't need to remove the ramp. You just need to pull the playfield out far enough to reach behind the back board. There are two small screws holding the switch on and you can remove them and the switch comes out. The wires are long enough that you can pull it up and then desolder and connect the new switch.

Also, I wouldn't change a fuse with a higher rating. If it blows something is likely wrong. Changing it to a higher rating is just going to cause something to overheat. You probably have a intermittent short or something like that.

#7176 2 years ago

Ahh ok great thanks!
I thought I read that there was a service bulletin or something where it was recommended to up the amperage on that fuse up to five amp or something.

Oh, I didn't know that. If Stern says so then they know more than I do.

3 months later
#7534 2 years ago
Quoted from Veemonroe:

Quick question, folks.
I’m considering a LoTR as my second pinball machine. My first machine is a Williams Fish Tales.
I’ve watched the Pinball Expert’s somewhat scary videos about the non-user serviceability of later-model Sterns.
Looking at the LoTR manual, it looks like it has bayonet and wedge bulb socket holders, so that the insert/GI bulbs are relatively easy to replace, and an extensive diagnostics menu - much like my Fish Tales. Can you confirm that?

Just my own personal experience but I have a routed game and have not had any major or particularly difficult issues. Lots of tweaking because the ball really flies around (that is half the fun) but I wouldn't be afraid to get one. I have four Williams from around 1990 and two 2003 Sterns (Whitestar) and they don't seem any more difficult to work than the Williams. Different interface but otherwise all the same basic stuff.

#7552 2 years ago

Anyone have any advice on adjusting the Gimli VUK? Mine keeps rejecting back to itself. I keep watching it but apart form taking a video in slow-mo I am not sure what has changed.

#7554 2 years ago

Thanks, I will check that tomorrow. I was just playing it and thought I would ask before I started tearing into it.

1 week later
#7569 2 years ago

Anyone know exactly what the three coil adjustments do at the end of the standard adjustments? My left flipper could use a little extra and I couldn't find an explanation anywhere in the manual.

#7585 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Well shit. Got to Valinor tonight. Long game! GC 486M. Satisfying!

I can only dream about that, well done.

1 month later
#7664 2 years ago
Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

Is it just me, or does the layout of LOTR seem all too "FAN LIKE"? I mean, the six shots to play the game are in the upper part of the PF, and are easily made. It seems like its just practice repetitions sometimes when I play it. I suppose that's why there are very long ball times on this game; it is a novice player's dream layout, kinda like Monster bash. I'm curious to hear Owners' opinions and comments as related to the layout being quite easy/simple, and more geared toward novice players, as opposed to more moderately and advanced level players.
This game is still great; dont get me wrong. Its tons of theme integration, and fun as hell. I just think it would be hard to have in a lineup without much more difficult/challenging games with more demanding layouts and punishing missed shot drain potential.
If it weren't so expensive, I'd probably own one of these. I really like Gomez layout designs (owned a JM, and currently own a Corvette, his first ever game as credited lead designer). I think Gomez does very well at creating smooth shots which feel kinetically satisfying; kind of like Keith Elwin does on his games. I hope Stern has a release in mind with Gomez as primary lead designer.
Best wishes and have a great week everyone!
Hog

I own a good amount of machines and if my wife didn't have a vote this would probably be the one I would keep if I could have only one. For me the shots remain really satisfying, each game is different and there are high level goals that keep you coming back. Honestly the biggest thing for me was getting a Pinsound system so I could change up the callouts because they can get old (particularly the path of the dead). I also love my Deadpool so I think Gomez is a good designer for me. I would say that this machine shines in a home environment. It is also popular with people who come over so it really checks all the boxes. The art is meh but it is not a big deal to me. I don't mind the long ball times but it is not a great game when you only have a few minutes to play.

1 week later
#7715 2 years ago

I have been having some issues with flipper fade on long games and decided to install a set of cooling fans. I know folks have done this before and there are kits you can buy but it I am not sure I saw anything with specific instruction. It is really pretty easy and the fans I found from Digikey were pretty good and only $5. They are quiet enough that you can't hear them with the glass on. I just mounted them directly to the solenoid backing plate on each flipper with some malleable fence wire. I ordered connectors from Great Plains and tied into the 12v supply near the right flipper. Took me about an hour and pretty much anyone could do it.

Here are the specifics:

Fan from Digikey:

1025210934_HDR (resized).jpg1025210934_HDR (resized).jpg

Mounting to Flipper:

1025210935_HDR (resized).jpg1025210935_HDR (resized).jpg

Connection on playfield:

1025210935a_HDR (resized).jpg1025210935a_HDR (resized).jpg

Connection near right flipper:

1025210935 (resized).jpg1025210935 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#7738 2 years ago
Quoted from TylerJac:

Hey guys, ran into a little problem here and looking for some help. My 1st pin so take it easy on me. I've noticed that when i turn my LoTR off and back on the previous highscores are no longer there. Has anyone ran into this and is there a way to fix so it saves my scores?

Try checking your batteries in the backbox. The batteries are needed to save high scores. Most people either replace the RAM to a NCRAm or just add a remote battery holder to get the batteries off the board as they can corrode and damage the board.

This one says for WPC but I think it should work fine in LotR:

https://www.pinballlife.com/remote-battery-holder-for-williamsbally-wpc-wpc-95-machines.html

#7739 2 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

That means the batteries aren't working, so open the backbox and take a look. If they aren't leaking, replace them, and order or make a remote battery holder.
If the batteries leaked... post a picture.

Beat me to it...

#7741 2 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

It actually won't work as-is. The old Whitestar games are weird in that they have a 3x AA holder, but the electrical connections needed for the batteries are not at opposite corners like on WPC.
This product uses clips and the photos show the various install options. (I don't think clips are a great option since they might shake loose but this product page is a handy photo reference.)
https://www.pinball.co.uk/spares-accessories/remote-battery-holder/
[quoted image]

Thanks for that clarification.

7 months later
#8403 1 year ago

Not sure if anyone is interested but I just finished my "refresh" of my LotRs. It was in pretty good shape but I cleanup the playfield and did some minor touch-up before clear-coating it. I also got bronze plated ramps, sword, and wireforms from Pinball Plating. The major thing I thought I would highlight is I ended up doing the alternate cabinet decals from Retrorefurbs and thought it came out great. I am normally kind of a purist and like things original but I was never too crazy about the original artwork and really liked these. The armor is just black powder coated. It seemed like any other color was just too much in comparison to the decals.

0428221557_HDR (resized).jpg0428221557_HDR (resized).jpg0621222007a_HDR (resized).jpg0621222007a_HDR (resized).jpg0621222007b_HDR (resized).jpg0621222007b_HDR (resized).jpg

0621222017c (resized).jpg0621222017c (resized).jpg0621222016_HDR (resized).jpg0621222016_HDR (resized).jpg0621222016a_HDR (resized).jpg0621222016a_HDR (resized).jpg0621222017 (resized).jpg0621222017 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#8445 1 year ago

I blew the transistor that drives the left flipper. It is listed as: STP20N10L but I can seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know an acceptable replacement? I tried to pick one out from Digikey based on specification but when I replaced it, it doesn't work.

Original Spec:

Screenshot 2022-07-01 170904 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-07-01 170904 (resized).png

Replacement Spec:

Screenshot 2022-07-01 171019 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-07-01 171019 (resized).png

#8447 1 year ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Go for IRF540 instead. They are 30 amp instead of 20 amp and plentiful, next day on amazon.

Perfect, thanks.

#8458 1 year ago

I am hoping some smart person can help me with a board issue I am having with my flippers, here is the situation:

- Very recently fully restored my LotR but the flippers where the same (however the playfield was stripped etc so maybe something moved around)
- Got everything back together and play tested 3-4 games with no problems
- Then the left flipper suddenly died
- 3A fuse was blown next to flipper and would blow again if reinstalled
- Removed the driver board and found that the IC Q15 was reading weird (all legs grounded)
- Couldn't find a direct replacement so I did my best and ordered one from Digikey
- Reinstalled it and had the same issue (blown fuse)
- Reinvestigated board and found that the Capacitor C248 was shorted to ground
- Ordered a new capacitor and replaced it
- Same thing happened
- Thought maybe I had ordered the wrong IC so I asked here and got new replacement ICs (IRF540)
- Replaced both IC (right and left) and both capacitors
- Carefully measured both ICs and capacitors and there was no short
- Put it back in the game and both flippers blew their fuse
- When I checked the capacitors both had shorted to ground

So at this point I am sure that when I try to activate the flippers it somehow shorts the capacitor? Maybe I ordered the wrong capacitors?

I am kind of at a lose of what to check next, I have attached the part information if it helps.

0704221542_HDR (resized).jpg0704221542_HDR (resized).jpg0704221543 (resized).jpg0704221543 (resized).jpg0704221543_HDR (resized).jpg0704221543_HDR (resized).jpg0704221544 (resized).jpg0704221544 (resized).jpg
#8462 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I had a similar problem on a Monopoly which is also a Whitestar board set. It would activate flipper at power on, even though the transistor had been replaced. If I didn't turn it off immediately it would blow the fuse and transistor. Turns out the fix was to replace U2, which is an HCT273 chip. I would also check the 22K resistors in that circuit. And yes, your 10,000pf caps are the same as the .01 uf caps.
I would carefully test everything again. Replace both transistors and U2. If that doesn't do it, I would send the board out for repair.
[quoted image]

Thanks I will try that. I have checked both resistors and they seem fine.

Do you know the best place to source that chip?

#8468 1 year ago
Quoted from heartbrand:

Been having an issue where the ball will just go around the white lock for TT even when lock is lit. Anyone have this issue before and having any suggestions?

Have you done a switch test of the switches up the ramp and a solenoid test of the ball stop?

#8472 1 year ago

I just test playing my LotR after a full restore and reassembly. Everything seems to be working fine but I am getting a lot of rejects out of the back right scoop (Fellowship Start). I didn't have this before but have a vague recollection in reassembly that the parts/pictures where not clear. Does this set up look right? Anyone else have this issue?

Picture below (sorry for the poor quality)

0707221717_HDR (resized).jpg0707221717_HDR (resized).jpg
1 month later
#8570 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRex47:

I used some grey foam I got from Loew’s. I put it on the wall by the backboard using double sided tape. Originally I had it at the end of the saucer but that didn’t solve the problem. Putting up by the backboard worked like a charm.

Weirdly it just kind of fixed itself after a few plays. Not sure why.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
€ 7.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider killerrobots.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=killerrobots and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.