IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jedi42.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3397 5 years ago

Ha ha, remember our Canadian money is plastic! I use business cards and work just as well.

Quoted from Delta9:

Take a 1$ bill put it in between the contacts push them together and pull the 1$ bill out the best way to get your contacts clean

#3398 5 years ago

Advice on removing a sticker - I don't want to risk scratching the back or leaving residue that would look worse. Leave it or try to remove.

Happy I am part of the LOTR club, fantastic game.

IMG_20181110_0911227 (resized).jpgIMG_20181110_0911227 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3413 5 years ago

Just entered the club and loving it so far! Question - is there supposed to be post in the eye t hole of Barad-Dur? On mine I see a thread in the wood, but none post. If there is supposed to be, can someone post a pic of what it's supposed to look like? Thanks.

IMG_20181118_1114077 (resized).jpgIMG_20181118_1114077 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#3477 5 years ago

Agree 100%. I have used them on older games, especially when touching up the playfield, but would not put on a modern game that doesn't need it. The pain is the dust and dirt that gets trapped under the protectors, likely causing more damage than if you hadn't of used one. My 2 cents anyway.

<block quote cite="#4739581">
PF protectors are good for games with prior wear, no clearcoat, or where they get heavy usage like on location.

#3504 5 years ago

Are they not available on the Stern site?

Quoted from latenite04:

I have a burner coming for christmas and would also like a link or files if someone has them.

#3513 5 years ago

Strange, I downloaded the file earlier this week without issue. Pm me and I will see if I can email you what I downloaded, can't remember the size, so hopefully not to big for email.

Quoted from latenite04:

There's a listing here but I get a 404 error when clicking on download.
https://sternpinball.com/?post_type=game_code&amp;s=lord+of+the+rings

#3515 5 years ago

I may take you up on that at some point. Thus far I haven't seen the weakening of the coils...perhaps I am not good enough yet to get that long into a game.

Quoted from Damien:

I had to ship it to my US Post office box. I usually pick my mail up every few months. If you want to ship it to me I can forward it to you when I head out to Buffalo next time.

2 weeks later
#3533 5 years ago

My experience has been that with 2 pins attached to one sub (which will work), it is difficult to get the sound just right for both pins. One of them will be either a bit too loud or too quiet. With one sub per pin you can get the volumes just right. Perhaps I am too picky, but sound is important to me.

Quoted from Pinkitten:

Last question. Can you attach multiple pins to a single Polk external sub? I have 2 subs total. One is attached to Tron and works great. I want to add LOTR to that one, and then use the other speaker on 2 other pins. I've seen comments that you can use 2 pins on each sub, and I've seen others saying up to 4 pins on each sub is fine. Does anyone know from personal experience? Is it as simple as snaking speaker wire into the cabinets and clipping to the existing speakers? Are there drawbacks to that method?
Thanks again.

1 month later
#3728 5 years ago

Agree black looks sharp.

Quoted from fossmin:

Use the black bolts.

2 weeks later
#3831 5 years ago

x2 on that, I just installed one last week and works very well with the game.

Quoted from Chalkey:

Installed the shaker motor today. I have to say I think this is the best shaker motor I've had. JP and IMDN it's too much but this one is just right to accent the action in the game.

#3848 5 years ago

Do you have the transistor at Q12? Mine didn't and I had to add it. See post #27 of: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-install-shaker-motor-in-lotr-standard-edition

Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Ok, installed the shaker in my non LE LOTR following the directions here:
http://homepinballrepair.com/index.php/install-a-shaker-on-a-lord-of-the-rings-lotr-pinball-machine/
Fairly straight forward, new PAL, new 10.02 rom, piggy back the red/white wire, and hook up #5 on the J9. All that but no shaking still. what solenoid is the shaker? #24 "optional"?

#3887 5 years ago

I am also with you guys on this, the incandescent bulbs feel better on LOTR.

Quoted from Damien:

I've changed all my games to LEDs except this one, and perhaps my original MM (debating that one).
I've owned two LOTRs, and the first one I did with warm 2 SMDs from Comet and it looked great. But the original incandescent just feels better on this game.

#3943 5 years ago

When the ball gets kicked up with the path of the dead vuk, and going up the right ramp, does the ball hitting the side not damage the mirror blades?

Quoted from Lamprey:

Here is a pic of my mirror blades:[quoted image]

1 month later
#4160 5 years ago

I have to replace the original backbox speakers and wires (from a Pinsound card, long story) and wanted to make sure I have the wiring correct. Can anyone confirm how the wires run to each of the 2 backbox speakers? Thanks in advance.

3 months later
#4558 4 years ago

The shaker I have in mine (aftermarket on the 2003 model) is just as intense as my LAH. Perhaps yours isn't operating properly???

Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Maybe it's because I am used to the shaker intensity on my other sterns but I would say that on my LOTR, the shaker is probably about 10-20% as intense as the shakers on my other games. It's just not very noticeable. I wish it was as i have shakes on all my other games and love them.

1 month later
#4823 4 years ago

I also put up a sword, but it cost me considerably more than $8. Also added some characters and lighting. I was super nervous of putting a metal sword above all that glass, but have it secured well. Looks better in person, but you get the idea.

IMG_20190913_0723542 (resized).jpgIMG_20190913_0723542 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#5094 4 years ago

When I upgraded my rom to version to 10.2 to install the shaker, Frodo added "...but I do not know the way" . Previous to that (version 8 I believe) he only said " I will take the ring to Mordor", but not the rest of it.

#5101 4 years ago

I would suggest you go the 10.02 route with the PAL chip, as it doesn't cost much more and gives you the flexibility to add a shaker motor - which is very good on this pin.

Quoted from MSLONEKER:

Thx. So i down loaded code. Unzipped, and there are about 10 files and a read me. Should i delete read me file before sticking the usb in the pin.

Quoted from MrSmiley:

LotR runs the Stern Whitestar boardset which does not yet offer upgrades via USB. So in order to update code you need to physically swap the CPU as well as display ROM (behind the DMD) with a ROM that has the latest code on it. You can either buy or burn the ROM yourself.
Marco or any other pinball shop will do. Be aware you need both CPU and display ROM, latest version is 10.0 or 10.02 CPU ROM if you want to run a shaker motor. If you are going for 10.02 you need an additional PAL chip.

#5121 4 years ago

It activates with quite a few things. Very well integrated into the game, and I am very glad I put one in. Thumbs up from me.

Quoted from jdroc:

When is the shaker activated?
I'm guessing at least:
* Balrog comes out and balrog hits
* selectively in DTR?
* When Barad Dur leans
Debating putting one in my LE but have never played one with a shaker in it

4 months later
#5603 4 years ago

I expect this to be an easy answer. I have a replacement spinner, but wondered the best way to install it. I am used to spinners that are on posts that you can unscrew, etc, but with LOTR, the spinner is on the ring ramp. Do you just bend it gently to get the new one in?

#5606 4 years ago

Ha, thanks! S&S was my first game I owned, and I love the backglass, a true work of art. I laugh all the time at the boyfriends getting in trouble for gawking at the girl. Enjoy!

Quoted from Pinkitten:

Agreed, I did the same when I replaced the spinner on my first LOTR. Just gently, but firmly, bend to fit into place. Also, I dig your Strikes and Spares backglass icon! I just bought a really nice one and it should arrive any day now. That backglass cracks me up!

#5608 4 years ago

I just replaced my spinner, and what a difference it made. The old one was mashed a bit, and caused rejections sometimes. The new one spins forever and no rejections. Scores went up immediately.

I put a tiny tiny drop of sewing machine oil on them, and works great. Just need a small amount, I use a toothpick.

Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Anyone use lube on their spinner? Find that the spinner sometimes rejects shots.

2 weeks later
#5711 4 years ago

I had the ball on top of the Balrog once as well.

Quoted from pinballjj:

while playing fotr mb got the ball stuck in an unusual spot
[quoted image]

1 month later
#5983 3 years ago

Do you put washers on all of the posts, or just the first one?

Quoted from DeathHimself:

Be sure to check if there are washers under the left orbit ball guide studs, if not I recommend doing that now before the guide starts to dig into the PF just behind the blue rubber bumper.
#8 washers work the best that are hardly even seen.

2 weeks later
#6121 3 years ago

I had no idea of this issue until this thread either. Have a small scratch, but just barely noticeable, so I added the washers and some mylar. Now when I don't make it up the ramp, most times it drains down the middle, where it didn't do that before. What do you suppose caused the angle change by adding washers?

Quoted from Gogdog:

Necessary? No....I don't think the additional steps would be necessary. I think if you already have playfield damage, the cliffy is the only necessary step. The process I used is the only foolproof fix to ensure the BNOD doesn't rotate. Considering how much damage the holder can do to the playfield (and the depth of the gauge), I'm not sure how much abuse a thin cliffy will protect against and for how long. Probably a lot, but I don't know.
There are other less intrusive things you can try. To get the cliffy installed you have to take the orbit guide off anyway, so adding washers is trivial. Adding the taller BNOD seems like a good option too that could help, and....reapplying glue to the blue nub rubber on both sides to help with it not rotating. Glue doesn't last forever though.

2 months later
#6299 3 years ago

I upgraded to the 10.2 roms and a shaker motor. I highly recommend it. If you ever think you will get a shaker motor, why not upgrade to the 10.2 now?

Quoted from DystopicPinball:

Hi all, just bought a LOTR standard edition. My pinball come with CPU and DISPLAY v.6.0
My questions:
to upgrade to standard 10.0 i need just the CPU + DISPLAY roms upgrade? Audio is needed too?
worth to make the conversion to 10.2 (LE edition)? This will add me the option to install a cool shaker motor
A LOTR converted to LOTR LE have compatibility problems or work fine?

#6320 3 years ago

Agree with Gorgar123, I like how the incandescent bulbs glow and fade in and out. For home use, I don't worry about heat, etc. I wasn't willing to spend the extra $ on an OCD board when I like how the original bulbs look. It's the only machine I never upgraded to led. The good thing is that there is no wrong answer here, both are great options.

Quoted from Gorgar123:

I also vote stock bulbs on LOTR. I have upgraded every other game I have ever owned to LED but I think there is something about the warm glow and twinkle of incandescent bulbs that just works on LOTR. That being said, mine is only on when I play it, and if I had it on all day every day, I would likely switch to LED's for the reasons mentioned above.

#6326 3 years ago

Looks good. It would be interesting to see what you used as a replacement and how you did it.

Quoted from DystopicPinball:

Hi all, just joined the Club. My LOTR machine came with a broken Palantir.
I haven't found a cheap alternative to replace it so i made it by myself.
Installation required around 20 seconds... just screw the base to the existing support
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

3 months later
#6569 3 years ago

So true.

Quoted from DeathHimself:

The coding is fantastic and playing it does become a journey, it's great when you're in the mood for an adventure but if you want a quick play then just move onto something else in your collection that night.

7 months later
#7319 2 years ago

Not arguing at all, and this likely is the issue, but aren't those coiled wires insulated? More of a curiousity question.

Quoted from DCFAN:

Yes, short circuit. I would replace the coil.
Supposed to look like this:
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-090-5044-ot26-1200-coil.html

2 weeks later
#7363 2 years ago

The weapons were not there from the factory, at least that's what I have read. None of my characters have weapons.

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Strongly looking at purchasing a LOTR. The example I'm looking at seems to have figurines with weapons missing. Is this the way they were shipped from the factory? Looking online I seem to see a mix of characters with and without weapons like in the photos above.
Thanks!

#7391 2 years ago

If I'm not wrong, wasn't Star Trek the first game with leds from the factory?

Regardless, I kept mine with incandescent bulbs, except the gi which I have all white leds. I like the way the incandescent bulbs pulsate in this game. Without the led ocd board, leds don't look right. I am happy with the way it looks. I just don't want to spend the extra $ for the proper board.

Quoted from FlippyD:

Yes the original release was in 2003 and games were still shipping with incandescent. I'm not sure when STERN stopped and switched to LED but I think it was their first SPIKE system releases.

#7397 2 years ago

My flashers are still incandescent. As are the green bulbs for the path of the dead. I have no idea where to get replacements once one burns out (but haven't looked either). Owned the game 3 years, replacing all the bulbs when I got it to new incandescents. Haven't had to replace one since. Like others, I have leds in all the other games I have owned, but not this one.

Quoted from ChipScott:

I too was thinking about transitioning to incandescents for this machine, just wanted to see how others felt about it as well. Sure, in an arcade, machine on for 8-12 hrs a day everyday, can have it's issues...but in a home environment, unlikely to have the long term issues associated with ustilizing those bulbs. Has anyone used the green incandescents for the Path of the Dead?

2 months later
#7666 2 years ago

"Fairly difficult?" I think that may be a gross understatement

Quoted from MrMikeman:

The layout may be simple but actually beating the game (getting to Valinor) is fairly difficult.

#7679 2 years ago

Nice explanation by ChipScott. Someone should make that a key topic.

1 year later
#9597 10 months ago

I bought these a couple of years ago and couldnt be happier with the flippers now. Never any fade.

Quoted from APB_Enterprises:

Heya everyone!
These are being distributed through Marco now. The eBay/Pinside store is too much overhead for me, so shifting it to Marco will make them more readily available to everyone and reduce me having to make one off builds of parts.
LOTR LE Medium Power Coils: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/090-5020-20-ND-MED
LOTR Medium Power Coils: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/090-5020-20-MED
Thank you!
Andrew
APB Enterprises

1 week later
#9603 10 months ago

Agreed. I think the ones people complain about are stronger than these.

Quoted from paynemic:

The medium are perfect imo.

1 week later
#9615 9 months ago

Ever think of moving the batteries off the board or getting vram instead? Might save you a bundle of time and money later?

Quoted from Days:

( solved)
Today i installed a pinsound on my lotr but... Maybe I made some error and the game doesn't start neither the color led dmd appears anything on the screen. I followed all the steps... But apparently something Is wrong. I also don't have any leds or general illumination working.
the pinsound make the startup sound and tells when I remove the USB pen. But apparently something is wrong.
Suggestions?
I add some photos, maybe you can see the error. Sorry for the spam, I will remove them after.[quoted image][quoted image]

2 months later
#9732 7 months ago

I had installed a Pinsound board a couple of years ago, and it was doing the same; sometimes loud when turned on and sometimes low. Worked with the Pinsound guys for quite a while and never figured it out and had to return it. Shame, because I love the product. Wish I had of known your fix.

Quoted from dacdjsteve:

Had a similar volume issue with my Pinsound Plus board. After setting the Pinsound Plus EQ and coin door volume level to my liking, the next time I'd turn the machine on, the volume I previously set increased by 30-35%. Searched Pinside, Pinsound Forums and Googled to find a fix for this issue and finally found one on YouTube in the comments section. Audio levels have been perfect since I've done this and I haven't had to change anything. I'm running only the Sjoend pack.
Here's what I did:
Check that your Pinsound board is running the latest firmware update. pinsound-update-23093.psrom2 (8 Sep 2023) https://www.pinsound.org/wp-content/uploads/releases/pinsound-update-23093.psrom2
Format the USB flash drive that you're using on your Pinsound board to FAT32. Just deleting the files on the drive won't work. You must reformat. I formatted mine using my Windows 10 desktop. https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044735/
Once the USB flash drive is ready, download the zipped file for your machine. Don't unzip the file. Let your board do it. https://www.pinsound-community.org/index.php?/files/
Hope it works for you.

2 months later
#9894 4 months ago

I dont have them on my LOTR, but have the Precision Flippers on my TWD and they are definitely different. My assessment is that they are stronger and a bit more consistentin in finding your shot. I do like them, but maybe not enough to spend the $ to put in my other games. An improvement over stock for sure though.

Quoted from Valinor:

I got impatient and I ordered the halographic pros in gold for $150. I figured I'd rebuild the flippers with the medium strength coils from Marco Pinball. I'll let you know how it goes. I've only had this machine for a couple of days and the flippers have the original coils and are lack luster at best. As near as I can figure the coils are original to the machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 12.95
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jedi42.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=jedi42 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.